Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SW:TOR will experience the first ever overnight ecomonic crash of an MMO.

Kimiko

My GM informed the guild that they would never get a silver key if they only put in 500k toward the ship..and this is a huge guild hehe. Needless to say I already dumped a mil in their bank like a fool and decided to bail while I can for that and other reasons.

Sorry to hear that. Another perfect example of why I won't contribute to guilds with credits.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you need a better guild then with people you can actually trust.

My guild is a benchmark for how guild business should be conducted. Our GM asked if you want to contribute, do what you can. There were no set amount requested. In a week's time, we raised 150 million combined from both sides. I personally gave 10% of what I made just through grinding dailies, FPs, OPs, and whatever else I could do. On 5 of my 11 55 lvl toons, I made nearly 5.5 million. I'm not rich in game by any means. What I gave was praised as much as one of our members giving 4 million.

Personally, I'd like to see BW institute a system that automatically credits money made by a toon to the guild in a similar manner that CoH/CoV did. IIRC this was a % (2% to 5%?) of money given to the guild based on what they toon made, but not from the toon directly. A large guild could generate massive funds if their players are active.

So... where's this "overnight" crash?

It's not night yet, tomorrow will be like Dawn of the (Economic) Dead. :p

Seriously there will be no crash because there is no debt and every purchase is a luxury to a large degree. No character will ever die due to lack of food and shelter. At most prices will be adjusted, many thing will cost less and a few more.

We have no idea how many new credits were created when the price of the GFS's were announced and without that data we can only speculate as to the impact the large outflow of credits will bring.

While the best way for an individual to earn credits is through the GTN, the best way for a guild to earn credits is through a combination of its members individually earning credits and those same members grouping to earn credits through activities like Ops and dailies.

Three four-man groups can earn 1 million credits for the guild just through Ilum. Add in CZ-198 and your are looking at less than an hour of effort for nearly two million credits. Running 16 man Ops through older HM and NiM content and selling everything nets a huge hunk of change as well. These credits will never see the open market because they were created for the sole purpose of purchasing a guild ship.

The economy will only crash if the credits being removed are "general circulation credits" that reduces the supply of credits available to the market. Credits that never saw general circulation won't crash anything.

I'm a little amazed at how different my game is from that of people posting here.

I've never had more tham 100k or so credits for any of my characters. Usually they hover in the 30k to 60k range. Often less.

Sometimes I've even had to delay upgrading my abilities when I achieve a new level !

I feel weird now.

:eek:

I'm a little amazed at how different my game is from that of people posting here.

I've never had more tham 100k or so credits for any of my characters. Usually they hover in the 30k to 60k range. Often less.

Sometimes I've even had to delay upgrading my abilities when I achieve a new level !

I feel weird now.

I with you on this. I have 3 55s and none of them are over a million credits. My current lvl30 is around 122k. So yea this content wont be part of my life for a very long time.

I'm a little amazed at how different my game is from that of people posting here. I've never had more tham 100k or so credits for any of my characters. Usually they hover in the 30k to 60k range. Often less.

That certainly describes me and my first three characters. There were times I couldn't even afford to take a taxi and had to walk. This fourth time I got to 55 with nearly 2 million credits, and all my training done. I did not craft, do flashpoints, or even Heroics. I normally took planetary commendations as rewards so I could buy mods. The only thing I did differently that I can see is take every drop and attempt to sell them on the GTN. If they were green and did not sell after one day, I sold them to a vendor for what I could get. If they happened to be a rare, blue, gold, or purple and did my character no good, I would give them an extra try on the GTN. I did all the quests I could find, including bonus missions. I managed to get to 55 before Makeb. I'm not saying this is good or bad; it's just what happened to me this time.

As far as the GTN crashing, our economics experts have been proven completely inept. There are the usual fluctuations, but nothing really notable, especially in essential items. The price hasn't dropped at all. If they have for fluff pieces I wouldn't know. Since I reached 55 I've been trying to craft retroactively. Seems to me this patch made for some new opportunities to make credits to craft pieces for all our new planetary conquest heroes.

Reports I heard on Fleet this morning have said that Guild Ships are selling at a brisk pace. There seems to be no shortage of First Day Ships. My guild raised the money in about a week just through donations, with no active Dailies to "make money."

If this pans out over the next few days (and I think it will) this should be an object lesson for all the experts who spread doom and gloom about the game. They said the market would crash. They said Guild Ships were unattainable by the smaller guilds. They claimed all these predictions that had a success rate about as good as Madam Zolar at the County Fair. In other words, people really don't understand what is happening in the game. Just because you are a player does not make you an economic expert, a developer, or an astute businessperson. If anything has been proven here is that we collectively do not make good predictions about this game. next time someone claims prescient powers, they would be well advised to remember this incident.

Edited by MSchuyler

I feel weird now.

I am on the same boat

We have no idea how many new credits were created when the price of the GFS's were announced and without that data we can only speculate as to the impact the large outflow of credits will bring.

The economy will only crash if the credits being removed are "general circulation credits" that reduces the supply of credits available to the market. Credits that never saw general circulation won't crash anything.

EXACTLY!!! I would be willing to bet that the bulk of the 50 mil per ship was never in circulation. Almost half of my donation came from credits I created after the fact.

Nope, a crash won't happen.

If needed, SWTOR will just do what EVE does, and what central banks in the real world do: dump money into the economy. For example, they could double credit rewards for all missions, as they did for PvP missions a little while ago. Or introduce new one-time-only missions to "celebrate" the launch of GSH and GFS, that have nice credit rewards and may just be bonuses tied to existing content (kind of like the Classic Ops weekly).

But even that is unlikely because, unlike in RL, there is no debt in SWTOR. No leveraged investments, no long or short positions: nothing that requires players to spend credits they might not have, nothing to create panic selling of assets.

speak for yourself.

im in debt to a Hutt on Nar shaddar for 200 large. :(

Edited by Kaisernick

*ahem* I feel this is very unlikely to happen, mainly because of the following reasons:

PvP

Heroics

Flashpoints

Ops

GTN

GSF

Dailies

The quest on Ord Mantell that grants new players a bank vault

And do not forget that there are weekly and daily pvp missions that reward commendations, which can be used to buy gear which can be sold to vendors. So I do not think there will be an "Economic Crash" anytime soon. :rak_01:

:wea_09:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.