Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently bioware does not consider this a issue since they dont respond on this topic, even after last failure maintenance.

They also dont get on how canabalizing from others games works.

You want people to stop playing their old mmo and move to this mmo having downtime during peakhours does not help.

Apparently bioware does not consider this a issue since they dont respond on this topic, even after last failure maintenance.

Apparently you didn't read far into the thread, because Bioware does in fact respond on the topic, on page 17 to be exact. Here, i'll copy and paste to save you the trouble:

"While today is still classed as a holiday in many parts of Europe and many of you may still be off work or school, this downtime slot was chosen for a number of reasons.

Firstly, in the past, we've talked on a number of occasions about how we will run a global service. Many players raised concerns that patches/updates would land later in the EU than in the US. We stated that as we're running a global service, we'll do everything we can to make sure the updates go live in both regions as close together as possible. For this to be achievable, we need to run maintenance at the same time.

Secondly, although many of you are able to play at this time, this is actually one of the times in the day (and the week) when we have the lowest number of players in game. It's certainly far from peak. Given that many of you are still on holiday, today's maintenance may feel a bit more out of place than usual, but in the future, the number of users impacted will be even smaller.

Finally it's also worth noting that today's downtime was a little longer than usual and in the future, shouldn't be the case.

So hopefully that's gone some way in shedding a light on the reasons as to why we've chosen this slot. "

Edited by PuddingHead

Apparently you didn't read far into the thread, because Bioware does in fact respond on the topic, on page 17 to be exact. Here, i'll copy and paste to save you the trouble:

"[color="Yellow"

Finally it's also worth noting that today's downtime was a little longer than usual and in the future, shouldn't be the case.

[/color]"

Really? You forgot to say that your code is bug free. The truth is that it will hapen again and again and you'll always blamed for this until your customers loose the PATIENCE. THANK YOU.

Apparently you didn't read far into the thread, because Bioware does in fact respond on the topic, on page 17 to be exact.

Yes you're right Bioware has answered us doing ANOTHER Manteniance time at the same window, and that answer was about the last week downtime, and we're talking about the January 4th.

But yes the answer is clear, go and play another game, we don't want EU players.

So that would be 3 PM to 11 PM in the UK. If by "US time" you mean EST.

Think before you post.

I am aware of the Time it would fall in the EU ...

HOWEVER it would effect the US. At the moment this very disruptive Maintenance Time has ZERO IMPACT on the US.

IF this did have even a small impact on US players it would be looked into. The fact it completely scr*ws the EU players is completely ignored.

So, yes, I am aware of the time it would fall & BUT it would start some QQ threads from the US too & they are the ONLY ones EA/BioWare are concerned about.

So, yes, I am aware of the time it would fall & BUT it would start some QQ threads from the US too & they are the ONLY ones EA/BioWare are concerned about.

Sir, I know realizing it might be shocking, but you might have some severe case of idiocy if you think this would have any positive effect.

- BW shifts maintanence time as you said

- US people are pissed, EU people are pissed even more than now

- BW shifts it back

- US people are happy, EU people are less pissed - same as now

- job well done! now stop crying, you might have it worse.

Yes, great tactic.

Sir, I know realizing it might be shocking, but you might have some severe case of idiocy if you think this would have any positive effect.

- BW shifts maintanence time as you said

- US people are pissed, EU people are pissed even more than now

- BW shifts it back

- US people are happy, EU people are less pissed - same as now

- job well done! now stop crying, you might have it worse.

Yes, great tactic.

I don't see how EU people would be pissed if maintenance would take place between 03:00 AM GMT and 11:00 AM GMT :D

I don't see how EU people would be pissed if maintenance would take place between 03:00 AM GMT and 11:00 AM GMT :D

His time was 3 PM to 11 PM

And your is just plainly impossible(as gloabl time ofc).

Edited by Elear

His time was 3 PM to 11 PM

And your is just plainly impossible(as gloabl time ofc).

Why impossible? I don't give a rat's arse, similar to their attitude. i don't care when the maintenance would fall considering US times, as long as european times are 0300 AM - 1000 AM.

and this is just ironic, not serious. truly i would sympathize with any americans that would be affected in this way but i am two times pissed, first on EA/BW for this crap they're doing and second on US people that are telling us to suck it up.

we're asking for separate maintenance schedule and considering that they are maintaining two separate versions at this time (the live and PTR versions) i fail to see why it's impossible for them to maintain separate versions for US servers and EU servers, thus making the maintenance schedule differ between the versions.

Schoolholidays means a 'holiday period'

You don't represent the whole EU and thus do not decide wich times are 'convenient', neither do you get to determine who has a 'normal' job.

Furthermore, taking 2 sentences of my post out of context, and insisting i'm wrong, instead of agreeing to disagree as i've tried, would be considered 'troll' like behaviour imo.

Now, I would suggest, you take some deep breaths, and get over it. ;)

I dont mean to be funny, but you seem to be assigning some sort of anger on my part? Ironically its you who are making the personal comments about me, not the other way around...

Lets get this straight shall we:

1) School holidays do not = holiday period. There is no definition of 'holiday period' thus its entirely subjective from the persons point of view. A logical defintion of 'holiday period' would be what I had posted earlier - times of the year when large numbers of people are off irrelavent of work/school (eg easter weekend and the 4 days around christmas). Otherwise its a crazy thing to say because school holidays occupy about 1/3 of the year - and you cant say to BW 'you cant do maintenance in holiday periods'.

2) No I dont represent the entire EU. Similarly, neither do you. How is this a constructive line of discussion?

3) Please explain which sentances I have taken out of context. I never do so intentionally, but nothing I appear to have mentioned appears to be out of the context in which you wrote it.

4) How is saying that I am 'mildly annoying' is in any shape or form 'agreeing to disagree'.

Im sorry you dont like what I have said, Im sorry that you arent prepared to discuss the issue. There is no point in 'agreeing to disagree' - seriously - what would happen if BW did exactly that. 'We have read your point and understand it entirely, however, we arent going to do anything about it, we will just have to agree to disagree on it.....'

"While today is still classed as a holiday in many parts of Europe and many of you may still be off work or school, this downtime slot was chosen for a number of reasons.

Firstly, in the past, we've talked on a number of occasions about how we will run a global service. Many players raised concerns that patches/updates would land later in the EU than in the US. We stated that as we're running a global service, we'll do everything we can to make sure the updates go live in both regions as close together as possible. For this to be achievable, we need to run maintenance at the same time.

Secondly, although many of you are able to play at this time, this is actually one of the times in the day (and the week) when we have the lowest number of players in game. It's certainly far from peak. Given that many of you are still on holiday, today's maintenance may feel a bit more out of place than usual, but in the future, the number of users impacted will be even smaller.

So hopefully that's gone some way in shedding a light on the reasons as to why we've chosen this slot. "

Then we should have our subs reduced for 52 days lost every year. Should be fair should it not?

This would cause a **** storm if it was US as well.

Yet, again EU continues to be shafted 1 day out of 7.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=955498

Yes, Bioware it IS technically "off peak" when you're taking the servers down.

But, that doesn't make your choice in when you do this scheduled maintenance either fair or acceptable for those who want to play during the day.

Here's a radical suggestion Bioware:

If you're going to give players the shaft, then do it fairly: Alternate the times when you take servers down. Thus take the US servers down during the day too. And then watch the US players complain. I'm sure you'd THEN consider rethinking your "scheduled" maintenance strategy.

Stop being so bloody cheap, implement an automatic "version check" on the client launcher, and pay your EU server farm staff to work at night 1 day out of 7.

P.S. what the heck are you doing that requires you to take the entire servers down for 8 hours????? It's not as if there's a huge patch incoming.

Edited by Tarka

Of course I can find other things to do but this chosen downtime for EU really bothers me, it really is bad planning.

Why exactly do you need to take both US and EU servers down at exactly the same time?

Don't give me this global launch bull, everyone else manages global launches and still work out reasonable downtime windows for their regions.

I've never bought into this whole second class citizen trash that people have spouted in the past simply because I wouldn't treat my US customers any differently than EU ones but what else are we to think when you can't even make the effort to schedule your monstrously long downtimes at a reasonable hour?

Blizzard have been doing their downtime overnight in the EU for years, often starting any time between 2am and 5am and usually done by 9am-11am.

So tell me again what your excuse is?

Let's look at the competition:

RIFT

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/news-announcements/287955-upcoming-eu-region-update-2-00am-gmt-23-12-11-a.html

Exclamation ** Upcoming EU Region Update - 2:00am GMT 23/12/11 **

Good evening!

The EU region shards will be coming down for 1.6.1 hotfix #4 overnight, 23/12/11, at 2:00am GMT. The estimated downtime is ** 30 minutes **.

Patch notes will be updated and have been posted in English on the forums already.

I'll be here during the downtime with status updates!

Everquest 2:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=512456

This is a notification that UK worlds will be updated at 5:00 AM London Time on December 23, 2011. The estimated downtime will be 2 hours. Update Notes can be found here: Game Update Notes.

Blizzard also takes its servers down at approximately 2am UK time irc.

@Bioware:

1) Note the time of day that they take their EU servers down.

2) Note how long it takes them to take their servers down and patch them.

Your current reasoning for not splitting downtimes is nothing more than a feeble excuse.

Bioware, your current strategy for dealing with "scheduled maintenance" is unacceptable in my opinion. And it seems that a lot of people in the EU agree.

Edited by Tarka

Of course I can find other things to do but this chosen downtime for EU really bothers me, it really is bad planning.

Why exactly do you need to take both US and EU servers down at exactly the same time?

Don't give me this global launch bull, everyone else manages global launches and still work out reasonable downtime windows for their regions.

I've never bought into this whole second class citizen trash that people have spouted in the past simply because I wouldn't treat my US customers any differently than EU ones but what else are we to think when you can't even make the effort to schedule your monstrously long downtimes at a reasonable hour?

Blizzard have been doing their downtime overnight in the EU for years, often starting any time between 2am and 5am and usually done by 9am-11am.

So tell me again what your excuse is?

EU customers are pretty much ***** to us. All in all, they are not US customers. Period.

Yep! The one and only MMO with EU located server that make patches in US Time, keep going and you'll not care about EU customers and servers nevermore.

If you keep doing those weekly downtimes soon you'll have none EU customer to bother.

A last thing, the Star Wars Galaxies had ALL server located in US, and the European Server had her Downtimes in EU Time zone. It lasted 8 years, I doubt you last more than one if you keep ignoring a great mass of customers.

Come on Mythic, I bet that you can have SWTOR FTP sooner than WHOL.

Yep! The one and only MMO with EU located server that make patches in US Time, keep going and you'll not care about EU customers and servers nevermore.

If you keep doing those weekly downtimes soon you'll have none EU customer to bother.

A last thing, the Star Wars Galaxies had ALL server located in US, and the European Server had her Downtimes in EU Time zone. It lasted 8 years, I doubt you last more than one if you keep ignoring a great mass of customers.

Come on Mythic, I bet that you can have SWTOR FTP sooner than WHOL.

Good point about the SWG servers. In short, it is irrelevant WHERE the servers are located. What matters is providing the best possible service to the customer. And having downtimes at 8am uk time is really NOT doing that. ESPECIALLY when it's for 8 hours.

Edited by Tarka

I urge anybody who is unhappy to send their feedback via the following link. I've written a very long piece on the issue, the more of us that do it, the more chance we have of being listened to.

http://www.swtor.com/support/form

Bringing it up again. This is our best hope at getting their attention. Drop a few lines here and keep supporting these kinds of threads. Maybe they'll hear us.

And just ignore the Americans who feel the need to butt into business that has nothing to do with them.

All I want is the same level of treatment as a customer in the US.

There is something seriously askew with anyone who thinks that is unreasonable.

And you are getting exactly that. I am losing as many hours of game time as any European. They are bringing the servers down at the same time and for the same duration for everyone. Nobody is getting special treatment. Like I said, my playtime happens to be in the mornings, and i'm missing out too. But i'm not acting righteously indignant about it. That appears to be reserved for the Europeans who DO want to be treated as special unique snowflakes.

And you are getting exactly that. I am losing as many hours of game time as any European. They are bringing the servers down at the same time and for the same duration for everyone. Nobody is getting special treatment. Like I said, my playtime happens to be in the mornings, and i'm missing out too. But i'm not acting righteously indignant about it. That appears to be reserved for the Europeans who DO want to be treated as special unique snowflakes.

I am going to assume that you are not as stupid as your post.

The issue is that the servers go down in the middle of the night for America and the middle of the Day for Europe.

That is not the same level of service. Would you be happy with the servers going down from 2AM GMT for America? That would be 9pm EST which would mean everyone getting the same service worldwide by your logic.

There is a world outside of America. Although as only 37% of Americans actually have a passport (source below) it is only natural for the country to have a somewhat insular approach to the world at large.

http://www.theexpeditioner.com/2010/02/17/how-many-americans-have-a-passport-2/

Edited by spudbynight

So how is having maintenance during the night exactly the same thing as having maintenance during daytime and up to 10 PM?

I guess you wouldn't mind to have the maintenance start at, let's say, 0200 GMT and end at 1000 GMT would you? Nobody would get special treatment, but i''m pretty sure that US players would bring torches and pitchforks onto this forums.

As sure as i am that European players would actually support their "protest" instead of telling them to "suck it up". That is one significant difference between the two civilizations. Europeans are not yet Americans and i pray to any and all deities they will never become Americans. I LOVE Europe as it is!

Happy New Year!

As sure as i am that European players would actually support their "protest" instead of telling them to "suck it up". That is one significant difference between the two civilizations. Europeans are not yet Americans and i pray to any and all deities they will never become Americans. I LOVE Europe as it is!

Happy New Year!

I'm British so not actually European*. I will still support injustice whether in the US or Europe.

*Tee Hee