Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

New Character Select Perspective

MillionsKNives

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't leave the bug as-is.

In my opinion, it looks like a bug. Especially for Sith Inquisitors. In addition to the ceiling being clipped off, it's clear when zoomed out that it is just a small square room with the partial background of a cockpit built in. It looks very strange.

That and each character is lined up so their face is mid-screen and the bottom cuts off at the knees. Off center and awkward, like a bad photo.

I do think a lot of people like to get a good look at their outfit in the selection screen, but I don't think this bug is an acceptable way to allow that.

I also think a lot of people like to get a breath of fresh air in how their old familiar login process looks. But I think that will wear off and we'll be left with an ugly bugged screen.

If they decide to implement this as a feature, what I would expect to happen is for the bug to be fixed, it to go back to the way it was, and then some time down the line return in a polished and working form, without the issues you are currently seeing. :p

Vast majority? Oh dear. As one of the (apparent?) few who like the zoomed in look, please at least let it be an option. Maybe you could scroll from far view into close view just like on the character creation screen?

As has been suggested, they could potentially make it a configurable option, between the old and new systems. It would be in line with what they've done in the past, particularly with cooldown flashes/text, rather than just the one system they added options.

Against all odds, I prefer fries! I'll certainly pass on that a vast majority of people seem to like the zoomed out view. No promises, but I'll make sure they know.

Sign me up as loving the new perspective. I was hoping it was a bug only in the sense BW was rolling it put in the near future. I have always hated how zoomed in the intro is. We have great armor and great ships...I want to see more of it! :)

I thought it was a feature, not a bug. I was starting to hope we get different backgrounds soon, for different classes and all. Aww, well, life is full of disappointments.

I didn't think it was a bug either, I thought that Bioware actually did something great with the character screen.

To be honest...

I think they should make the stronghold the new character-selection place... xD But I do like the "new bug perspective" a lot.

That would be pretty cool if they really did go all-out and add some customization options to the log-in, being able to select one of your unlocked Strongholds as the background instead of the ship.

Of course in reality, since people are only on their log-in screen for a few seconds, there's no way it would be worth the investment to go all-out on customizing that aspect. But hey, sometimes it's fun to imagine what would we'd like if they had unlimited resources. (And I might still hold out hope for a toggle between the close-up/pulled-out views.)

• 1 month later...
Against all odds, I prefer fries! I'll certainly pass on that a vast majority of people seem to like the zoomed out view. No promises, but I'll make sure they know.

It would be nice if we could get an "update" about this.

What did the DEVs think about the fact that most players like this bug?

Do they intend to fix the character select screen so that it is

a) always zoomed out (which would mean fixing some of the ship interiors)

or

b) give us the ability to alternate between the 2 views (either with a toggle (zoomed out/zoomed in) or a gradual zoom out/in using the mouse scroll wheel)?

Are they going to leave it the way it is now?

Are they going to revert it back to what it was before (only zoomed in)?

Other... ;)

Curious minds want to know. :)

(For the record: I like the zoomed out view much much more.)

/signed

I prefer this, and have always preferred the whole-character view to the close-up.

That said, I don't know why the screen doesn't just let you zoom, rotate, and display/hide weapons. It's easy and makes for better self-admiration (which we all know we want more of)

I prefer this, and have always preferred the whole-character view to the close-up.

That said, I don't know why the screen doesn't just let you zoom, rotate, and display/hide weapons. It's easy and makes for better self-admiration (which we all know we want more of)

This. Which leads to my next point:

/signed

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.