Simple yet Elegant solution for the Day/Night Dilemna.

mothermoy

Make two different versions of the planets, one day and one night and allow the player to pick which one he wants to play in. Question is, would you guys be willing to ignore the fact that all the cut scenes for tatooine are daytime based, yet you are playing at night? I personally would be.

You may think that sounds simple and elegant, but I can assure you that it involves alot more work than you'd imagine.

(unless you just want to eliminate the "sun" as a lightsource in one version of course... in which case it would be pitch black in some scenes).

No, the most elegant solution for the day/night dilemma is to accept it and move on.

Day/night cycles are a part of the engine. EA simply decided to disable it for misguided reasons.

http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Dynamic_Sky

The engine is a framework, choosing to enable/disable a feature based on development choices is not misguided.

Even if BW were to flip the switch and turn the feature back on they would still need to perform a significant amount of work to make the existing assets work within the new lighting model.

BW have said why they chose to not have a day/night cycle, people need to accept it and move on, we're having a hard enough time getting actual gameplay content at the moment without worrying about money being diverted to something as superflous as this.

Simple yet elegant solution for the day/Night dilemma is for the devs to realize that we the players know more than they do about the their motives why there isn't a day/night cycle. That we the players know more about programing and designing a game than they do. That we the players simply and more elegantly are smarter than they are at everything and they should just do everything we say.

Simple yet elegant solution for the day/Night dilemma is for the devs to realize that we the players know more than they do about the their motives why there isn't a day/night cycle. That we the players know more about programing and designing a game than they do. That we the players simply and more elegantly are smarter than they are at everything and they should just do everything we say.

It's almost as if the developers of the hero engine had an entire wiki page and youtube channel filled with tutorials and demos. :rolleyes:

The engine is a framework, choosing to enable/disable a feature based on development choices is not misguided.

Even if BW were to flip the switch and turn the feature back on they would still need to perform a significant amount of work to make the existing assets work within the new lighting model.

BW have said why they chose to not have a day/night cycle, people need to accept it and move on, we're having a hard enough time getting actual gameplay content at the moment without worrying about money being diverted to something as superflous as this.

We don't actually have to accept anything. We are here by choice.

Day/night cycles are not that big of a deal to me. But that doesn't change the fact their excuse for excluding it isn't flimsy. It's just one of those attention to details things that many people like.

Edited by Vinak

It's almost as if the developers of the hero engine had an entire wiki page and youtube channel filled with tutorials and demos. :rolleyes:

OK...

and what does that have to do with player base claiming they know reason that there isn't day/night cycle and its not what the devs say it is?

OK...

and what does that have to do with player base claiming they know reason that there isn't day/night cycle and its not what the devs say it is?

The devs stated it was story related. The player base called BS on that....I dunno anything beyond that.

It just seems silly to deny something so simple. They were made aware that people liked and wanted day/night cycles well before the game even came out.

They made concessions to other things despite the story theoretically preventing it. No reason not to make a concession to this.

Edited by Vinak

I'm sure that sounded really deep and philosophical in your head. But acceptance is a fundamental part of choice.

You are paying for this game by choice, accepting certain things is part of this choice (they even make you check a box that says so).

People asked why no day/night cycle. Devs provided a perfectly reasonable explanation. End of story.

Day/night cycles are not that big of a deal to me. But that doesn't change the fact their excuse for excluding it isn't flimsy. It's just one of those attention to details things that many people like.

Probably a typo on your part, but you are correct. Their reason isn't flimsy at all. It's a design decision - thousands are made during a development of a game. Only those players (who are not part of the game-making process, btw) who disagree would think any is flimsy. It's also one of those attention to details things than many people do not like and therefore the lack thereof in the game is not only perfectly acceptable, it is better off because of it.

None of the KOTOR and Mass Effect games have a day-night cycle either.

Morrowind and Fallout do, Deus Ex doesn't, Far Cry 3 does, Metro scripts it, FF and old WoW do, TOR and new WoW don't.

It's a major design decision, with sandbox worlds leaning heavily toward day/night and more linear games toward static weather and time.

Design approaches are completely different. To make a day/night cycle environment, you disregard lighting and work entirely with models and textures. To make a static environment, you play with manually positioning lights to get the look you want.

One doesn't easily translate to the other. A lot of places will look like crap with wrong lighting.

Make two different versions of the planets, one day and one night and allow the player to pick which one he wants to play in. Question is, would you guys be willing to ignore the fact that all the cut scenes for tatooine are daytime based, yet you are playing at night? I personally would be.

The whole point in adding day and night cycle is to make game more vivacious. This way we will have two dead worlds - one at night, one during day. Don't mention that two players would have day and night at the same time.

The devs stated it was story related. The player base called BS on that....I dunno anything beyond that.

It just seems silly to deny something so simple. They were made aware that people liked and wanted day/night cycles well before the game even came out.

They made concessions to other things despite the story theoretically preventing it. No reason not to make a concession to this.

The playerbase did no such thing.

Some players did, but most just accepted it and moved on.

Devs provided a perfectly reasonable explanation. End of story.

To be fair, reasonable is in the eye of the beholder, rightfully so. And I think that saying things like "end of story", especially when speaking to something like this (a design decision) is a bit silly.

I would expect to some folks that is hardly the last word on the matter, as this discussion and others like it represent.

The player base called BS on that....I dunno anything beyond that.

To be fair, I would say it is likely you do not speak for the playerbase. I certainly personally wish this were true, but its speculative at best to try and insinuate this is something that disappointed "everyone".

I would like if they make differences for certain instances, like the black hole on corellia would be nice if it had been with a different time of day been made, to make it feel different. Section X feels different from Belsavis, there they got it right. On Makeb with all the different mesas it would have been great if they are not all that the same time of day!

The Hero Engine was purchased on license by BioWare before it was completed and modified heavily for their purposes, hence the extremely bad performance on most computers. Adding a day/night cycle would put further strain on the game to run smoothly and likely make it unplayable on a lot of computers.

oh so because you read a few tutorials you think you know more then the people who went to collage and got degrees to work in the industry and have years of actual real world experience in making games?

Your Arrogance/Ego is bigger then the whole of the Galaxy if you truly believe that.

The Hero Engine was purchased on license by BioWare before it was completed and modified heavily for their purposes, hence the extremely bad performance on most computers. Adding a day/night cycle would put further strain on the game to run smoothly and likely make it unplayable on a lot of computers.

Drat, you beat me to it.

But yeah, SWTOR doesn't run on the Hero Engine. BW has modified the Alpha Hero Engine to the point where it's essentially the TOR Engine.

Drat, you beat me to it.

But yeah, SWTOR doesn't run on the Hero Engine. BW has modified the Alpha Hero Engine to the point where it's essentially the TOR Engine.

EXACTLY!! People never seem to get that game studios add onto the base engine making it unique from any other game engine.

^^this

Day/night cycles is ludicrously easy to do. Hell I've done it to a mod map for the decade old SW battlefront 2. And you certainly don't need two versions of the same map.

There isn't a day/night in swtor for the sole reason of aesthetics. Look at Alderaan with its scenic mountain vistas. Much of that would be lost at night. Or Ilum during the day.

The day/night is a technical engine limitation crowd are just people being ignorant.

Edited by Zoom_VI

speaking as a roleplayer day/night cycles always annoyed me a bit honestly because they're NEVER on a 24 hour scheduele, so you stand talking to someone for a few hours and you go through a full day/night cycle. at that point ti doesn't actually HELP my immersion. it HURTS it