A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

Anyway, the PvP today!

10 July 2014

The loads were sluggish, so instead of switching server to catch up to my friends on Progenitor (I need 3 levels, yakes!) I just kept staying in the WZ queue with my Healer Sage. In ~ 1 hr 20 min I did 4 WZs, back to back (between 4:15 and 5:30 am, so I was playing with Asia-Pacific there).

Wait a moment...you did FOUR WZ's in a row? Hmmm....that sounds strangely like someone who LIKES PvP...:p

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe that a lot of pver would actually like pvp if you remove the pro from the equation (as pro are a minority but that ruin it for the majority)

you need a ranked happen from release but not char based but ACCOUNT based you cannot re-roll and be a noobs you re-roll you still have your high rank!

and you need to allow different skill league and whoever win step up to next league (plus add lot of stuff only obtainable from pvp and make them obtainable the same in the low league as in the high league so everybody can get them)

lot of pver just need a push i was it in many game lot of player started as PVE only that out of boredom try pvp and love it. Problem is PVP doens't have the curve that pve has and especially when the game is out since a while pve curve stay the same PVP curve get worst and worst

Oh, I have identified Resolve bar waaay earliy, and not in a good way by wondering into a PvP zone on an accident on Tat. While sitting the flag out in cantina there was not much to do, but to stare at the char portrait. :) But now I know why it got all filled up :) Cool!

Geat tips on the Huttball, but thing is, I think what the other team did was to put 4 chars on the rafters, and let the other four to play ball. Is there a way to get on the field without walking up the stairs? I did not see anyone doing that in the vids I watched. Anyway, it looks like there is a way to play ball even if you are a Sage, just got to figure it out.

Well, I'd like PvP better if cooperation was made easier, such as the game having a default voice-chat during the PvP matches. I am guessing this is something beyond Bio's powers, because why is not it there otherwise.

I dunno, if there was no pros, I have a feeling people would just wander aimlessly and get into short skirmishes :) It is the pro on another side you actually mind.

Jrwellworth, looking forward to hearing your stuff!

I will probably try my young Shield Tech on Progenitor tomorrow, since I want to stick to levelling him for the game.

Then, I will continue running the Sage till I am confident enough to try the Slinger again to see if I can fit her out into L50 gear via planetary comm drops. With her I can actually try for achievements, since I have an old-fashioned idea that the Healer is there to Heal.

Pro per se are not a bad thing 8pro vs 8pro would be nice not only to play but even just to watch!

the problem is that pros have tendency to group togheter and then they end up fighting noobs this is the problem with them eheheh... they rarely pug because they hate noobs, they hate when a person is the first time in a warzone they hate when they do mistake or need time to learn...

I am generalizing obviously some are pretty cool and open to help new player but how many of them PUG for real it means ALONE for real (and i am not talking of solo ranked) 5%? 10%?

if pro would be forced to be mixed up with noobs situation would be much more intresting on both side... anyway

which hutball are you talking about? i suppse you are talking about the old one the one with the fire trap...

in that one u have 3 ramp as u exit from spawn area and your question is if you are forced to go up at start or when you have to score?

a) at start you can jump in the pit and go around left right thre are ramp to go up to ground lvl and form there u can go center (if u want to avoid going up at start)

b) to score unless u have someone to pull you up rom the pit(a sage!) or you are a class with a gap closer (sentinel) and u can charge an enemy silly enough to be wondering score are....you are force to go up on the platform with fire traps to get to the score area (and that's the beauty of it)

the new hutball has ramp to go up from the underground lvl OR there are some table one each side of the square that will pull you up click the table and a cable will automatically pull you up to the main lvl

http://i.imgur.com/dAh754R.jpg

is hard to see in this pic i couldnt find a better one there is one of this table each side and it automatically bring u up without doing the ramp

Edited by Pekish

Just wanted to help a bit with a couple of suggestions for your Sage. :)

I play a DPS Sorcerer on the Progenitor as my main PvPer, but ran WZs with any advanced class at least once, though that Sorcerer is the only one I'm fully comfortable with.

I usually run just enough WZs to get the 55 weekly done on him, while rounding with a few middle-low level alts for the level 40 sets, since I like the looks of those. Which means anything between 8 WZs if I'm lucky to 15 if I'm not on that Sorcerer. :D

Top 3 suggestions on my part are: keep yourself bubbled at all times, if possible cleanse your targets while you heal them and always foresee an escape way from your position. ;)

And if you heal, try to stay hidden behind corners, so opponents will have to walk through your team to get to you. :)

Some situational tricks come from experience, when you figure how to react properly to other classes, but I'll share two here: use ledges and Force Wave wisely, and always try to have Cc breaker advantage.

First one is easy: if the map has a bridge or a high ledge, feel free to position yourself so chargers like Marauders and Juggernauts can be pushed down when they charge you - be careful to Shien Form though, that's an indication that the player is immune to push for a few seconds after charge. :rolleyes:

Cc breaker advantage is more tricky. A hard stun may be helpful, but a good way to force a Cc break is to slow your opponent while also adding your DoTs to him. I tend to also push the guy away, if he has already charged me or if he's not a charger class. Usually they Cc break to get to me, and then... I stun. And run, of course, to max range. :p

That said, keep up the good work and enjoy the practice. Life will be easier when you get your Force Barrier at level 51, trust me. :D

Wow, thanks, guys :)

Next time I get pulled into the Huttball, I would try to follow the moving instructions and TY for the tip about the scoring area - the tips I saw did not mention that. I still have a feeling i would get slaughtered, but we'll see!

Yep, I take this extra few seconds to rebuff my character every time I die, keep the FA on, and try to put the HoT on self as well. I also just got that orange Focus, so it's going to be two power crystals now, not one + 3 extra purple Makeb Mods. Gotta help the girl a little, right? :) I must have Force Barrier already, being L53, so I should look and learn to use it - sometimes this late in the game abilities are hard to get used to after spending 20 levels without them. :)

Haven't tried anything today yet, I'll post later on. If anything, bolstering a L24 Shield Tech to L49 should be an interesting preview of his future coolness. :D But I will have to craft a few grenades first, me thinks. Cheers, and

Edited by DomiSotto

A PVP A DAY-

MATCH #2

7/10/14

ARENA--TATOOINE MESA (?)

TOON-Sand'ari (Level 50 campaign 146 4pc set bonus, not augmented)

LEVEL-53

Morning all. This is my report for last night. I got called in to raid on one of our off nights, so my plan to play more then one match didn't happen, and it was late. I logged into my toon and joined the Q. I got:a pop just a second later and it was an arena. Now, I can't say I feel one way or the other about arenas, they are a different style of play. Weather I like them or not though they are here and in the rotation, and I don't think I'm so good that I should quit every pop I get that I dislike.

Anyway, from the instant I zone in, one of the big problems I see folks complain about is apparent. It is a 3v4. Now it is my team that has 4, another scoundrel healer and myself, a tank and a dps. Our opposing team is 3 dps. There seems to be a fatal flaw, in a match that small, when a team gets fielded missing a player. Thankfully though, this is more of an advice column then a gripe session. Needless to say, I was confident we would get the win.

I epic failed almost out of the gate. I hit stealth after srmp'ing my team, and followed them in. When they clashed I was staring at my ops frame, and started to heal. What I failed to do was look at my screen for to long. After throwing an UW medicine I got interrupted on my next cast and I looked at my own bar and had 4% health left. I threw a kolto cloud at my feet and proceeded to scamper away. Or tried anyway. I was dead a second later. The other scoundrel was better though and we won the round.

Back in the starting gate the dps asked the tank to guard me. I apologized for dying so quick, and I had explained to them at the start that I was new. I was determined to make up for the last round and I HoT everyone up and we proceed. I try to stay close to the tank, as I seem to remember that in pvp, unlike pve, that guard has a range, and it's not a large one. The other scoundrel does something I wish I has thought of, he pops smuggle. We get out there to go berserk, and I figured I'd dot everyone up first and maybe throw a grenade. This time I kept an eye on my frame as well as the others, using kolto cloud on cool-down, kolto pack on the tank, and UW medicine as much as I can. I did get shut down a few times, interrupted, dotted and knocked back. I was also hard stunned, and I didn't check my resolve bar, I just broke it. I used scamper to get away from them and tried to keep vital shot on folks. We ended up winning.

Now I am sure there is some stuff in my description of the fight that people can give me advice about but here are my questions. I know I made the mistake of not paying attention to my own dwindling health pool and paid for it, but as a healer in a fast-*** arena, what is best for me to do? Play it safe? Look for a cozy spot to try to heal from? Should I be looking after my own health and cleanses first?

I also have to have line of sight to be able to heal, if I can't see you then I can't heal you. So I guess that negates looking for a static spot to set up shop right?

If, in fact it is best to be running around (I hardly ever see folks stop in arena vids I watch), and the pace is so fast, should I just focus on my team and sacrifice myself? I noticed that when I had to stop to throw a casted heal, or cleanse, I was usually attacked, and I can't escape every time. Is there a middle ground?

These questions pertain to arenas or general advice I guess. Also, what about throwing some dps their way? Was it wise to vital shot up the enemy when the match first started? Most of my good dps takes a lot of energy, and I only get one cool-head per arena. So the best I can do it vital shot and grenade, and flash-bang.

Oh, and one last question for my scouprative readers. My best stun is the dart. It has to be from stealth, and I started every match in stealth, but for some reason when I targeted the enemy for stun, it wouldn't allow the shot. Was there a reason for this, does it have to be behind for it to work?

Now, on a seperate matter. I'd like to post in this thread daily and have you guys see Domi and I advance into 55 pvp and who knows, maybe ranked, but that's far away. I am maxed on WZ comms, and my plan is to buy two Obroan relics when I ding 55. (I still am, after all a raider, and they are better then UW relics+I can use em to pvp!) That will take 1400 comms. Now, that leaves me with 1350 (?) I believe, as the max is 2750. (again ?, I'm on coffee number one so I may be off) So, with that 1350 comms, what should I buy first? I was thinking the obroan menders MH, but if someone has a better idea I am open to it. For the purposes of this post and my own inexperience I will gear up solely on the advice of the community.

Well that's it for the report of match #2, Today's match will be posted later today.

Edited by jrwellworth
misspell

may the more experienced folks correct me, but imo, the golden rule that the Healer who's dead Heals for 0 holds on Tatooine... but yep, I died in the 1st round of the arena myself as a Sage. Second time I hid, and things went swimmingly. I think hiding and healing unless you have a teammate who actively peels off of you is the way to go. Honestly, better 2 players + healer than 3 players without... anyway, it is so fast, that it is darn hard!

Okay, my report on my PvPing with my budding tank

Date: 11 July 2014

Server: Progenitor

Character: Bayar, BH, Shield Tech Spec, Lvl 24, then 26, equipment an eclectic mix of L23-25 blues and L23 purple barrel (yes, I am proud of it!)

Placement: <1 min cosnsitently

Zones: 2xVoidstars, 2x Novare Coasts and 1 Hypergate

Won or Lost: Won 1x, lost 4x

Suckage: 5-6 off the bottom on losing zones, in the first half of the chart on the winning one

Loot: didn't count comms, just traded them for plans to re-equip

The vids really made the difference.

I also cheated some going to defend the abandoned nodes to get defender points. Going into a WZ of the get go was not the best idea, as I could not remember what my BH did and how. The second WZ I went into was after clearing half of Nar Shaddaa, so I was more fluent. I got medals for Guards, defending, some blow or another. The only semi-creative use of special skills I did was using my harpoon to pull the opponents off the targets. I was also much better with the resolve bar, not shaking it off.

Overall, I am a huge noob, and I know it, but I am trying! I started typing in the beginning of any non-in progress zone asking if I can follow someone to be placed as a speed bump where they need me. So far got no replies. So, i am guessing.

I think I am starting to find it enjoyable, but I can feel that I do strongly prefer a specific Legacy supported character as a PvP character. Bayar has absolutely nothing he gets from any other char, no extra %, nothing. So, he is probably not my char of choice, though I think I am going to build a Vanguard on Harbinger as a PvP character.

A PVP A DAY--

DAY #3

NOVARE COAST & CORELLIA (?) ARENA

TOON: Sand'ari

Scoundrel Sawbones

LEVEL 53

(same gear I've had the past two reports)

The arena came first and while I epic failed so bad I don't even wanna admit to it, I will. 3 dps and a healer (me). Out the gate things looked fine, I srmp the team up and I use a trick i saw in my last arena. I use smuggle to help get my team into place but I think I used it to soon. The minute I pop outta stealth to heal, I was stunlocked to death, I mean like, I had full hp and then 0, almost instantly. I saw in chat too late "behind you"....They must have had my number cause outta the gate, same deal, srmp, smuggle, stay in stealth and get into place and start to pop a heal. I think I got a kolto cloud off and I was dead, it was crazy. I did 0 damage and something like 45k heals, probably all from srmp. We lost, ofc. I feel like it was a 3v4, and i gimped my team somehow. I wish I could record it so I can see where I got ganked and how. The hamsters that power my computer would go on strike though if I tried fraps.

The next pop was Novare coast I believe, the one that's on Denova. I was backfill and as I zoned in there was a person screaming in chat for our team to "for the love of god, go south" I also noticed that the enemy team had ALL the nodes. When I got out of the gate, there were a few people now with me and when we got out of the gate they all went mid, despite the calls for south. I looked at the map and all of our players were at the mid node except the one calling for south and then she was dead. I figured since all the team was now mid that's where I should be, healing.

Now here is what I don't understand. I get mid and were all there, and I am there with another healer and were keeping folks alive but they can't take the node. I also noted that there were SIX enemy players at mid, meaning that at the two other nodes they also held there was only ONE person there or maybe even no one at one of them. I mentioned something to that effect but got no response. The chick that was calling for south quit the match and our bar ticked down to zero as me and this mando heal our team and cross heal each other at a node we cannot take, with 2 healers and 6 dps vs 6 enemy players.

When the match ended I asked why no one played the objectives and the only response was, and I quote, "LOL"

I guess there isn't so much asking for advice in this report as there is venting, unless someone can impart some scouprative arena strategy.

More to come.

I would advice you to not play on the Prog. Out of the servers I've played on (Bastion, POT5, Shadowlands, TOFN, TRE and the Prog) it's by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the worst. It's not even close. Imagine the worst match you've ever had on one of the other servers, multiply the stupidity in that one match by ten and then play that match every time you get a pop, that's what playing on the Prog is like. The horror, the horror. I'm convinced that I could take on the average 8 vs 8 team on Prog by myself with decent results and that's by no means a reflection of my own skill (or lack thereof, depending on who you ask :p ). I got a little upset just thinking about the BS that went on over there. *tries to calm down* Edited by MidichIorian

The first one sounds like you were against one of the Gods, since he dropped you to 0. Nothing for it. I actually saw on chat someone asking why people are not queue'ing, and the response was So-and-so is playing. So, I surmise that when the Gods left Olympus you end up learning the terrain. :) Which is not that bad, really, it helps. Because sometimes the Gods are on your side, and then you feel like you rock. :)

The second, sounds like they had 1 on each node to call, and the rest of them were stronger than you combined. And everyone decided to stretch the fight to farm what they could out of the raw deal.... If 8 of you couldn't pull 6 of them of the node, despite the best efforts, you were probably under powered. If you split and tried to take one of the sides, you probably would have gotten less, as you would have run around more and fought less. You got good heals achievements there, I bet!

I would advice you to not play on the Prog. Out of the servers I've played on (Bastion, POT5, Shadowlands, TOFN, TRE and the Prog) it's by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the worst. It's not even close. Imagine the worst match you've ever had on one of the other servers, multiply the stupidity in that one match by ten and then play that match every time you get a pop, that's what playing on the Prog is like. The horror, the horror. I'm convinced that I could take on the average 8 vs 8 team on Prog by myself with decent results and that's by no means a reflection of my own skill (or lack thereof, depending on who you ask ). I got a little upset just thinking about the BS that went on over there. *tries to calm down*

I dunno, it was not that bad. I am playing with my friends on Progenitor, so I don' see the harm in running a weekly on him to get the comms. He has no Legacy to fall back on, and all his get rich quick schemes are not entirely successful, poor sod is stalling at about 200-250 thou :)

My main server is Harbinger, so if I decide to go on with the PvP it will be one or two chars on Harbinger that I will try to grow, and I throw the rest in when I need the loot. That's where I will learn my hard lessons, lol.

Edited by DomiSotto

Jrwellworth – thank you for sharing – and yes, I found hypergate tough to understand as well. Thank you for asking the questions! As a Sage, I have an easier time squeezing off heals and moving, but am squishier and not stealthy :) Do you have Hanker down as a Scoundrel? That iirc prevents mind controls. And, as a working healer, you sure to get a lot of attention. Feel the love!

To answer the questions – I have an 11-char legacy on Harbinger, and 1 character on Progenitor, and of course am open to grouping :)

I am humble as far as my playing abilities go, so derogatory comments and low scores never bothered me in the first place (not that I saw any). What did was the chaos of the Warzones. I am also that gal who hates to answer an H4+ call and find her ShieldTech grouped with 1 Jugg, 2 Maras, no Heals, and a faceroll for a strategy. Lol.

Anyway, the PvP today!

10 July 2014

The loads were sluggish, so instead of switching server to catch up to my friends on Progenitor (I need 3 levels, yakes!) I just kept staying in the WZ queue with my Healer Sage. In ~ 1 hr 20 min I did 4 WZs, back to back (between 4:15 and 5:30 am, so I was playing with Asia-Pacific there).

Huttball: Uh-huh. I have an impression that this is no venue for a Sage. Died, died, stunned and died. Last place, lol. We lost 6:2, still have no idea how the field is configured. Heh.

Voidstar: Ah, yes, felt happy to see it pop. We’ve lost, 2:6, but I actualy managed to achieve one objective. Diffused a bomb – FA helped, and a stealthy smug covered for me – all wrong, but in a pinch, who cares. Thanks & love, whoever you are :)

Makeb Arena: Oh, that one was actually awesome. No other way but to play as a team, I puged with some totally powerful guys, and we won 2:0, AND I was in a Healer’s Paradise for the second round, hiding behind the box and healing at will. More than made up for the Huttball. Placement: 5th out of 8.

Hypergate: We did win. No thanks to me. Just ninja heals and incapable of getting to the safe zone if my life depended on it. Wait! It did! So, died. 4 or 5 times, I think. Placement was my usual 5th ot 6th from the bottom.

The result overall: 2000+ WZ Comms! You gotta be kidding me, right?! Between the daily and the weekly, and the back to back pings… That’s 50 plan comms, so my Sage was suddenly able to afford that orange focus, and will probably have most of her gear purple Makeb. Every character approaching the magic 50 should do it. Seriously.

Need to work on: Targeting, targeting and more targeting (the tab key is there for a reason, girl!). Better with applying FA and HoTs at the quiet times. Managed to squeeze off a couple of stuns and actually run away from melee folks (need to do that more often, lol). Just because he attacks you, doesn't mean you have to defend. Better part of valor! I also need to locate that useful ability that would grant me respite from mind controls.

As someone who also plays a sorc (and Im leveling a sage) you can heal the ball carrier and if you get ahead you can extricate him. If you have another sage with you one extricates the ball carrier 28m the other does the same and now if you are lucky (in old huttball) the ball carrier is now across the firepit and about 50m-60m ahead of the opposing team. Also use your bubbles. Bubble is good on the ball carrier as it will absorb damage.

Thank you, I got a lot of tips on Hutball for the Sage. I haven't yet had it pop on her again, but next time I will see if I can fins my way to the field that doesn't involve a hand to hand with maras :) I have seen people saying they are not the best class out there, but heh. Seem pretty darn scary to me. :eek:

Also, Jrwelworth, I was thinking, if you are popped into a in progress match, mostly it means the team is loosing. Because who would quit a winning match save for a comp crushing. I guess, in this situation, maybe a character that is advanced well into gearing and has a fierce talent could make a difference, but it is hard to expect to do so with an entry level one. So, losing valiantly and graciously is the way to go there :)

So, I need to quickly decide what I want more, finish Chapter 3 on my Smuggler to get Dirty Kick for all (my Sage!) or Chapter 2 on my Marauder to get the 3rd class buff. Mmgh. Probably the Smuggler, she is 2 quests + 1 Map + whatever wrap-up away. Dirty Kick is good, for CC in the zones, right?

And, a very silly question - is taunt applicable in the wz? Does it reduce the damage another char takes?

EDIT: Update

12 July 2014

Took my Smuggler-Gunslinger, L53 into a warzone before starting to play. It was a 4x4 arena with rafters. We've lost 0:2, and I can say for sure that I do not know how to play my character in PvP. In levelling I managed by being overlevelled, using close-range abilities, and keeping a companion geared. In PvP I am really, really poor. I do not know my range, and I am not used to switching targets fast, and despite my close range being higher DPS, I don't think that''s how I am supposed to play. I actually managed to use my protective screens and lived a little longer in the second round, but yeah, I need very much to learn to earn. Conclusion: will finish Corellia with her training myself to use Tab, keep the eyes off the ability bar, but on the enemy, and getting to know my range. Then I will PvP her till she is full purple before she steps anywhere near Illum.

Edited by DomiSotto

Well, things went better after finishing Corellia :) Doubt I have improved significantly, but I got into the Voidstar, and the team was dominated by the ranged folks, while the Empire fielded melee. I actually managed my first solo kill (staying to the tab diligently really helps) and got silver for once. How, gods only know. Slowly upgrading the equipment with all the comms, Accuracy at the coveted 10% now, yay! And crafted a reusable seismic grenade. Now gonna get the sage to work on the L50 relics. :) Hey, we might make it through Ilum alive yet!

13 July 2014

Did an Intro to the Warzones on my Annihilation Mara on lvl 40. Voidstar, Harbinger. The team won. I spent the entire time trying to kill the healers, and got a Jedi Killer achievement. At some point I wandered away because I thought a triangle marked the objective, duh. So, placed last, and richly deserved it :) Mara's nice, but I do not like fighting for the Empire side, silly, I know.

A PVP A DAY

DAY #4

TOON Sand'ari

LEVEL 54

Sawbones Scoundrel

Hey guys. In this report I am just gonna report something funny, and it is also my last lowbie bracket report, as I dinged 55 and proceeded to pvp, but I will do that report next.

Huttball, my last low bracket match

I joined the Q and got the pop instantly, which we all know means back-fill. The match is huttball, which isn't my favorite but I am able to do ok in there sometimes as there are a lot of places to set up for casted healing and my class allows a lot of healing on the go as I follow the ball carrier. Well, I get out of the spawn zone and the score is 0-1 them. I get mid in stealth and only see two other players. I also see all the imperials. I make a valiant effort to keep the two players up but get stun-locked, break the stun and as I scamper away and hit stealth the DoT's kill me.

I ask in chat where everyone is, and I don't get a response. I stealth out and run to the top of the catwalk. I look on my mini and see a large concentration of players in one area by mid. I wonder what the fk are these guys doing?

Turns out, they were ALL HIDING IN THE FKING DUMPSTER. Now I saw the awesome dumpster ball video on the forums awhile back, as I am sure a lot of you did. These 5 guys though, well they didn't have the ball, or anything like that, they were all just sitting there. Now I am not a good pvp player and I am not mean or rude, but this was past the level of window licking I can accept. I exploded and called them all *****'s, and proceeded to go help the other two members that were actually trying to play. we are killed repeatedly as the imps take the ball and run it back and forth, almost unhindered till they had 6 points and they won. Now, for the loss, with 5 medals I got something like 180 comms, and this is with the event active. So these guys with 0 medals, 0 damage, 0 healing, 0 protection probably got next to nothing. Can anyone tell me ***? Is this a new trend, a thing, a reverse pre-made, a pre-made of masochists, or role-players maybe?

Anyway, thats my last low bracket report and I'll write my first level 55 report in a few minutes after I make brunch for the wife and son.

Postscript: Way to go domi, nice to hear about your progress also. I have an imperial toon on the harbinger that I will be leveling soon maybe, if I do, maybe we can roll a pre-made or something.

---End Transmission---

Edited by jrwellworth
forgot

And, a very silly question - is taunt applicable in the wz? Does it reduce the damage another char takes?

Yes, taunts are quite important in warzones. If I remember correctly they lower the damage dealt by the taunted person to everyone other than the taunter (who takes the normal amount of damage) by 30%, which is quite a lot. Unlike in PvE taunts don't force players to attack the taunter. Taunts are off the global cooldown so when you get good at using them they don't affect the amount of damage you deal.

When I first started using taunts in warzones, I decided to look out for a few obvious looking abilities that I know deal a lot of damage. Ravage/Master Strike and Death From Above/Master Volley are both pretty easy to see happening and they do a lot of damage, so whenever I saw someone using these I would taunt them. I found this quite useful at getting used to taunting rather than diving in the deep end, trying to taunt as often as possible and making my damage output suffer.

The other thing to look out for is a group of the other team. If there are 3 or more damage deals on the other team grouped up, try hitting them with your AOE taunt if you have one.

Hope this helps :) And I love this thread btw. Great to see something so constructive.

Hey DomiSotto. If you're playing on Harbinger my wife and I have a couple of toons pub side pre-55 and 55. She's quite good at Sorc/sage dps in warzones and I used to heal on mine in between deaths back in the day. If you're on during APAC times (which it seemed like in one of your posts) we can form a group and get on team speak and give you tips in real time. If you play mostly American prime time we can link up on weekends. If interested you can either post or PM me the sage's name and what times you play and I'll add you to the appropriate friends list. If not, no hard feelings!

Good morning, folks!

@jrwellworth - holly crow, you really run into far more troubles than I do. I was with the teams where people quit, and I am pretty sure my toons are aggravatingly silly, but from what I could tell everyone was trying to get through and do something - which is what it's all about. If you are going to get on Harbinger, that would be awesome, I really want to level a Vanguard as a PvP character+ class story.

Someone mentioned that Progenitor was bad, but I honestly did not see anything like that there; in fact wherever we pug on Progenitor for FPs we always get a really nice person, who doesn't balk at our quirky girly chatting, a tank (me) who neither ever tanked before, nor done the FPs, and we pull through :)

and wow, congrats on L55! So, what happened when you did hit it? You get the very special Warzone with all the other maxed out characters? Even if your valor is low?

@Sean: Thank you, this is super useful tips! I saw very effective use of the AoE myself, when people slap multiple ones right on the node - that's the way to go, for sure, capping = suicide. Fingers crossed Vanguard Tank has similar abilities to the Bounty Hunter, because I sure love the BH's abilities.

@Chazz - Thank you so much. I PM'd you. Yep, I am on early mornings and sometimes early afternoons. I also play a shared international game every weekend, so I have some xp in setting up the times.

//Okay, the PvP a day

Character: Becchino, L40, Marauder, Annihilation spec

Server: Harbinger

This morning was the first time I did not get the prompt for >5 min. When I finally did, it was Hypergate. And, again, I did poorly. There seem to be a huge discrepancy as to how much fun it is to play a Mara in leveling and how she underperforms in a WZ. I just do not have the skill level, I believe. I feel very much like that chocolate frog from Harry Potter that has one good leap in it. So, leap-DoT-batter-die rotation. Sometimes a choke if I am lucky. Ravage, as I understand is my only chance at a decent DPS, and I never get to channeling it. A Pub character to admire (not sure which spec, atypical dress, sort of a ninja fashion) did a single ability damage of almost 7000, while I can't even get the 3000 achievement. Placement - second from the bottom (team lost as well, but put up a good fight, I think :) )

So, my Mara is a world apart from those Mara my Sage is so desperate to avoid. I ran out of time and did not queue again, but I will try this afternoon, as I want to finish the Weekly on her. Unless I can glean a strategy to make her remotely useful to the others I am not continuing on this character. I'll focus on leveling her instead and getting her Ch2 buff.

Edited by DomiSotto

Marauder is a bit tricky to play if not used to have a "non-stealth-hit-and-run" playstyle. You need to use the line of sight and the running away. Don't stay in the middle of the fights, even if you are a melee. Break off of an enemy you can't detroy quickly and move behind objects when you see lots of people closing in or if you see them switching to target you (BEFORE they do it!). Also: assasins will murder you from now to 55 and beyond. Unless they are totally incapable of playing their assasin. If you get the jump on them, you MIGHT have a chance... but... no, not really. Marauders don't scare my shadow pretty much freekills. But if the assasin/shadow lets you do your thing for even 3-4 GCD... ;)

So some rules for mara gameplay:

* Never waste charge

* Don't be in the middle of it.

* Don't let them focus you.

* Use predation to get to places and help the team.

* Anticipate the enemy

* Assasins will murder you

You'll need Charge after knockbacks or slows or to get to a less dangerous enemy. ;) Yes, it's called charge but thats a trap! Charge mostly puts you places where the marauder shouldn't be. Unless your target knocked you back. Or you find yourself without cover or slowed and X meters away from a casting sorc without a place to hide. ;)

You also need to pick your fights and aim to destroy one target. Pick those targets. Hit 'em hard. Back off, or look for the next target if the opportunity arises. You want to be the one stabbing them in the back. The one who destroys a fair 1on1. ;)

Mara is a lot different from say... Juggernaut: Juggers can take a lot of punishment and stay mobile very long (ED, reflect, charge, push->charge, intervene, either tank, or unstoppable, or obliterate...) They MAKE the battlefield move the way they want and have a rather sraight-forward set of skills. Maras USE the battlefield. If the target gets pushed away SEE what is coming and DECIDE if you charge in or run there (probably with pred) or if you wait for some Jugger or tank or assasin to go in and start taking heat before you go and do some serious damage. Timing and positioning for ravage is practise. Just lots of it.

Over all I think playing a mara in pvp WELL is one of the most difficult and stressfull challenges. No stealth if the warzone sucks -> you WILL get massacred over and over again. Plus squishy under prolonged fire. Plus rare gapclosers. Plus lots and lots of situational awareness. But if you got him down, all the others feel like a walk in the park.

Thank you!

I am thinking about what you have said & also read up a little in the class thread/posted some questions. I will go cautiously on this one, and try her out for this Weekly cycle. I have a feeling my skill is too low though for a smart and attentive character like this. But! I definitely feel that as a healer, I should pay a lot of attention to a dual-wielding Sentinels whenever I see one close by.

I just wanted to add, that I am not trying to master it all overnight! I understand that very few could know multiple classes so well they can play them awesomely! But I want to try a few classes before settling into my 1 or 2 PvP specs of choice, as this seems the most reasonable course of actions. :)

Edited by DomiSotto

It's called practise. You can do it.

But you won't have time to think about your keybindings - so assign them wisely and learn them by heart.

Some advice:

You play lots of alts - create a toolbar layout with the interface editor and assign keybindings so that 'similar skills' will be the same key on all classes. Example:

3 rows above one another: Row 1 and Row 2

1 row as a block of 3*4 besides that

1 row to the right side of the screen

Let me just mention the first 2 - the ones with the main combat abilites and an example for mara and... hm... PT layout (^= shift) - (oh dear I realize I don't even KNOW what is on what button - I just do it. :D)

Row 1:

1 - gap closing main: Force Charge - Grapple

2 - regen ressource ability (bloodthirst / the vent heat one)

3 - interrupt

4 - channeled something: ravage / flamethrower

5 - ae-mezz (intimidating roar, ae-carbonize)

^x - ae move (that slash you only use to interrupt tapping, death from above)

^q - resource generating / energy neutral basic attack (battering assault)

^e - forece scream / Thermal detonator

f - massacre uhm... some missle/explody-thing... something that hurts anyways ;)

^f - proc attack or secondary attack ) / explosive thingy 2

r - single target slow

^r - heal reduce / some special....

Row2:

^1 - Berserk / heal 1

^2 - Predation / heal 2

^3 - ... / heal3

^4 - force camo / cleanse

mouse 4 - pvp adrenal

mouse 5 - pvp heal injection

t - 1st Endure Pain

^t - 2nd defense move (saber ward)

^c - 3rd defensive move (cloak of pain)

g - CC breaker

^g -force choke / electric stun thingy

... And so on (you see there are plenty more skills you'll need frequently...)

Marking Targets, some more attacks (row3), recharge, rebuff, special moves for the class.... and so on...

But you get the drift - there are similarities. Yes, they are by no means the same, but the general placement of 'them defensive moves' and 'the channeled move with cooldown' and all that... those are 'rememberable'.

After that: practise them (a bit on a dummy, maybe) and then in pve dailies or some quests... and THEN in pvp. Adjust them early, if they 'feel wrong' before your muscle memory kicks in and you start using the wrong skills at bad times. ;)

Hope that helps and wasn't too 'newbie-talk'. :)

I aim to reduce the number of alts for PvP, yes. So soon it won't be a concern.

Howeve, with the interface, I do it in a somewhat similar way, my interface is left for reusables, top row for offense (aligned in a rotational pattern), bottom row for interrupts/defense (same sequence) and the right for the long-term, rarely used ones (heroic, travel, forms and super-buff).

Now, I do not queue the first thing, I go and kill a little fodder to warm-up the character if I haven't played her/him for a bit. It is easy since I am leveling. Maybe I should dismiss the companion while doing it to simulate the un-grouped character fighting.

Unfortunately I do not have the blind typing skill, so I mouse-over too much. Working on this skill now + the all important tabbing targets. Getting a mouse with extra buttons for the new machine as well (something I have resited till now). Funnily, initially I found targeting and fighting too fast-paced in leveling (coming from turn-based games) now I feel that hell, mob sitting there waiting on you is a luxury!

Two questions, if I may:

1. some players move continuously - do they use num-lock or is that an expression of a mastery of the awsd? (I doubt I can do it, but I am curious)

2. training dummy - I tried one on Coruscant but I did not see any numbers pop on it. There is an option to get a combat log 'to file' on the preferences, but where is the file? I am so used to the SP games when you can see everything in the 'chat' window, the RT numbers are hard to track down.

Edited by DomiSotto

A PVP A DAY

REPORT FOR 7/12-7/13

Morning everyone

Well, Domi, ya it seems I've had some weird luck when it comes to matches the past few days, the huttball incident, and many others, some good some bad all learning experiences. Yes, it was great to get 55 on my alt. I've been raiding with my shadow tank almost two years, and with my family and schedule I don't have the time to focus on alts much, of which I have many. I was also very lucky to get him to 55 on this pvp event. I was maxed on pvp comms when I hit 55, so right away I bought 2 relics (still a pve player after all) a obroan field medics main hand pistol. Then later on that day I was able to buy a obroan chest and yesterday I was able to get obroan pants. I have to say, that's something I thought I'd never see myself doing, grinding out a pvp set, lol. I will say, I can see the difference in my performance I think. Now I just have to augment the troublemaker set the pvp stuff is going into. That will be a chore, seeing as how I just had to augment my pve kit.

Now I was hoping to get some input from the community at large. Conventional pve wisdom is that we take care of our left side first (our character sheet) but I kinda broke with that here, buying the relics but then buying chest and pants. Should I stop there and save for the ear and implants next or just continue going at it piecemeal. Also, is it just me, or does the field medics 2pc set bonus kinda suck? No bonus to any heals, just defensive.

So, you rolled a marauder huh? I have a level 40 marauder that I haven't played since the Rak event. I was using the mirror of the combat tree and it was, idk, different and I guess I lost interest, but they seem like really fun and effective toons, and have a great story. Enjoy. I guess I will report now.

LEVEL 55

SAWBONES SCOUNDREL

PVP GEAR-2 RELICS, MH, CHEST, LEGS (not augmented)

I had a lot of fun pvp'ing this weekend. I had too many matches to recount, but a couple stand out. I had a couple arenas and I am still having trouble there. It seems I get focused and stun locked to death a lot. Now, I'm not complaining about that, I have used my break and cleansed and stealth-ed out, went to hide and thrown down some heals on myself and rejoined the fight. While I am doing this though, my team mates are getting killed, so I am not sure if it evens out. I've also tried running around like a maniac, and just tossing out my HoT's on the run only, which seemed ok, but I didn't feel effective enough. Is there a middle ground? Healing in arenas has been a recurring question for me, and hopefully I will find the sweet spot as time goes on. Any advice on that is much appreciated.

Over the weekend I had many regular warzones, and it always seemed like it was one extreme or the other. Either we were getting rolfstomped or doing the stomping. I am still learning, and figuring out what I am supposed to be doing and where in the WZ's. My big mistake though seems to be standing still and casting heals in the midst of fighting. One voidstar we were getting beat badly, and I don't give a sht what my numbers on the board are, sometimes I am near the top with big heal numbers and sometimes I am at the bottom. This match I just wanted to heal my guys through so we could plant on the damn door. It was like I had a huge target over me, and I may have for all I know, but every time I came out of stealth to heal, this damn op would stun me, shiv me and kill me. In that order, every time. Now, if I broke the cc i could scamper away, stealth out, heal, but this dude found me every time. If I didn't have a cc break, I was doomed. Ah but it was a blast though, I just need to learn to counter it. Any advice is appreciated.

One last question on my wall of text. My in stealth stun, corrosive dart, I believe it is called. I am having trouble with this ability. But sandari, you say, it's pretty straight forward. Well, maybe, but it doesn't seen like it sometimes. It stands to reason that if I am in stealth, I am not in combat, right? Stealth from spawn, or cleanse and stealth out. It seems that only sometimes I can make this dart work. Other times, I am working merrily up behind an unsuspecting imperial, and I hit it and it says "cannot be used in combat" And the other half time, it works. Any clarification on that would be appreciated.

In closing for this report, I am glad I committed to this, I am having fun doing something I despised and thought was for elitist jerks. I am coming to have a new sense of pvp and the folks who play it. Next report soon...