A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a thread on a public forum, really, and once you post in public, ye lose any claim to anything said. I believe I am what's called an original poster (OP). I don't mind anyone posting, and I really love folks join in like Jrwellworth did :)

And, to make it about PvP - got Tageren (my Trooper; I hoped for Morat, but it was taken in any form I could think of) to the mighty Level 6 (the seps cower as he passes by). I found starfing far easier with a shooting character. Well, let's be generous here, and call it starfing: I can run a fair curcle around the target, but once in a while I do get a message that I am not facing the target, so need to get in tighter turns. With the number of abilities ranging so far from 4 to 6, it feels like a breeze compared to a Mara with her many skills and procs and very short range. I also decided to stick to tanking spec 'cause if I want a heavy armored DPS, I do have a commando. :)

Edited by DomiSotto

Welcome Back Domi--

I will make this short as dinner is about to come out of the oven and my jawa is hungry. Thanks, I did have soe fun with the open world pvp stuff at gree this past week. It's cool you have your slinger to 55, and you should have had maxed pvp comms if I'm thinking right, so it will be great that you can snatch up your first pieces of pvp gear. I bought the two relics (Though I did this due to the fact that I also raid full time and Ob relics are better then Arkanian) and a main hand.

As far as you saying that your buying 140 armoring, don't, just stop and give this a try. You might want to grab a friend as this can be a bit tough on a fresh 55, but go to section-x or cz-198 daily area and pick up the Oricon quest line from the R2 droid. The Oricon story is pretty fast and straight forward, and it gives you a full 156 rated set of gear for your slinger (pretty much) On my scoundrel I got the gunslinger gear for my Risha and it was decent. It is a good starter pve set that is the base line set needed to raid if you were so inclined, but the most important thing is all it costs is an hour of your time, and nothing else. It then unlocks the dailies for that area. Just a tip so you can spend your credits on augmenting instead of buying mods and armoring.

Anyway I will be back to report in the morning, have fun. Wait, you guys smell something burning? Got to go.

Lol. Pretty sure this is Domi's thread. You're just piggybacking it.

Ouch handsome Dave, that stings darlin'. You are right though, if you look back on page one I joined in the fun, it kinda got me up off my behind in regards to pvp. So I got a bit mad when it got hijacked, especially by that guy. Your handsomeness has set things a right.

Okay, I decided to commit to doing one War Zone a day. I hate PvP, so I figure my only chance to do it is to go public with my fears. Let's see how long I shall last. So, who thinks I will manage to not unclick the WarZone before it pops today? :)

Oh, and of course, anyone else with PvP phobia wants to try to overcome it?

How I found it easier for me, though others may(and probably will) disagree. I like to do is Level to 15, PvP till my Valor is with my level. Run FP's every time Valor is capped till I get to the next level, then cap valor again. You always end up with good valor and comms. If you're doing the weapons thing, by 45-55 you can PvP the rest out weapon stacking. By then you'll have adjusted to your class and strats of the WZ's and probably made good PvP buddies.

I don't think I want to level via PvP, I still want to go through the class story if not the planetary story ('cause we'll be working through it with 7 pairs of characters....). I am on the fence about the FPs, 'cause PvP & levelling is so much more fun than FPs for me. FPs are stressful and normally take longer than I have for playing under normal circumstances.

@Jrwellworthy- yep, I know about the Oricon suit, but I don't think Riggs are ready for the content. They are a comp tank with a no-heals DPS played by someone who still looks for a pause button from time to time. :) So I really want to finish my 140 with augments while keeping the war chest at about mil mark and do Ilum/Makeb before tackling Oricon. It will be my first time anyway, so I want to see what story is there. Hopefully my third character won't be as far behind in gearing as the first two.

Good night everyone!

Edited by DomiSotto

Alright, I am home till Tuesday, so I am spending far too much time playing the game :)

First of all, I unclicked the cover bar on my Gunslinger and rebound her keys. Can't believe I played with the darn thing all this time! MUCH BETTER. Started Ilum planetary to get used to it, but the amount of loot was far to disappointing. So, went into the Blackhole and queued for the 6 warzones the dailies require me to do now.

I think I got a couple of Alderan CW, a normal Hutball, a Quesh version and a Novare. 2 wins, the rest were losses, but a couple of them pretty close ones. Really like a player with a Gunslinger who was on the opposite team twice, and on my team once. I tried mimicking him a bit when he was on my side of the fence. Also been trying to target the other long ranged characters as much as I can, though got eviscerated for my troubles by a Telekinetic Sage (lol!).

I tried sitting on the pipes in Quesh, and it reduced my mortality rate, but I also was not really doing one heck of a lot, so I need to navigate the pipes better. Overall, might be a bit better once I got used to the keys - at least I am moving more- but still far, far, far from satisfactory. Valor is at 13 now, a couple of points behind the Sage. L2P all the way for me :) Not enough creds yet to add more augments.

Okay, if I have an hour or so tonight, I will play with my Trooper a little.

Edited by DomiSotto

I hate this thread. Reading all the fun you were having learning to PvP got me all nostalgic, and I ended up resubbing for a while to get back into it. :D

Anyway...

I keep trying to find something I can do in Huttball. :(

By far the best ability you have in huttball is the ability to receive a pass. Forget all the special super jumps, and pulls, and speed boosts... all those are helpful, but if you just get out IN FRONT of who ever has the ball and give them a receiver to pass to, you are already ahead of (I swear) 90% of the other players. And the best part of all, everyone has this ability, and it requires no new learning of keybinds. :)

Other than that, I think you said you were working on a slinger... you can Cc like a god. Leg shot, flash bang, knife stun, knock back (with root?). Use those intelligently and you can practically lead your ball carrier to the goal line. And if you follow the first rule, you can be there for her to pass to in the end zone, and get a medal for scoring. :D

Just IMO, of course.

I think I am in the 90% category and I am deathly afraid of receiving the pass :) 'Cause then you need to pass, which involves having a non-tunnel vision, the knowledge of the play-field and awareness of where the other players are. :(

I like the idea of spamming the flashbombs and stuff. Gods see, I need to do it much, much more :)

Yesterday was the first day with no insta-pings. I was working on getting my Bounty Hunter prepped for for a game on Sunday, then loaded Gunslinger, started Black Hole... and no pings. For like 10 min. Then my hubby showed up, and we got sucked into Corellia on our Jedi duo for a shameful number of hours (I think like 5). I put a level on my Vanguard while he was re-equipping after leveling to the All-Important L 50 (2 levels away from L10! Sooo close!).

Heh, managed to impress hubby by peeling off then kiting a melee guy who decided to go after Zenith back to where he belonged - in the melee slaughter zone. What can I say? He's easily impressed.

So, I am just back from the gym, and I am starting with the Gunslinger! Fingers crossed Asia-Pacific crowd is on!!! And that my capral can take a double wammy of OHP and warzones :)

I think I am in the 90% category and I am deathly afraid of receiving the pass :) 'Cause then you need to pass, which involves having a non-tunnel vision, the knowledge of the play-field and awareness of where the other players are. :(

Just a little thing you can now pass (or any aoe ability) targeted, just target who you want to pass to, then double click the pass button. So you can even target your receiver before you are low HP, then when it gets sticky insta pass.

Maybe it has to be enabled in preferences, not sure what the default is

gl :-)

A PVP A DAY

SANDARI

Morning. Oh Huttball, man I also kinda panic when I get thrown the ball and try to pass it ahead of me as soon as I can. What I like more is following the ball carrier and healing them, and Hotting them up, then turning and becoming bait for the horde that is following.

I have been really busy on the pts finding out what mats are gonna be needed for housing stuff and doing testing. I have also been dragging old toons up out of the basement to max their crafting and gather like a mad man. One such old toon was a sentinel level 40 that I stopped playing about 6 months ago. While I was maxing his cyber I decided to give him a whirl in some pvp. I also tried something new, showing two ability hotbars and binding the second row. Now from the beginning I have used shift+up or down to cycle hotbars, that way everything is bound to 1 through =. This has always worked fine for me as I learned to play with out a mouse. Now I am finding however I need to bind it all. So i memorized as best I could the new layout and hit Q.

I happened to get three arenas in a row. The first one was cool, as it had some skilled people in it. I was told who to focus and that if I focused the tank my face would get bitten off, lol. So we focused down the person and killed them and won the match 2-0. It is a change from playing a healer, as a dps you actually see peoples hp bar lower. Now I did the lowest damage in that arena for my team and didn't chart top the next couple, but I did focus the right people and I thought I managed OK, especially when I started to get into the rhythm of my key binds.

Now to do OK with this sentinel I will need to learn the proper rotation for watchmen and maybe try to learn combat. I think I can have a bit of fun with him and still practice on my scoundrel, which is what I'll be playing today. I got a new implant for him so I just need an implant, earpiece, offhand belt and bracers to make full Obroan. My armormech is almost 450 so I will be able to augment my pvp set soon. All in all, things are going good, I just need to make a bit more time to Q. Welcome back Domi, I will be back later.

Aww, melee chars are so glam :) Glad to hear you are bringing one from the back-burner. Funnily, I will be stashing my Mara for now, focusing on the Gunslinger and the Vanguard. I just do not have the time for her and I keepgetting confused with the abilities.

I did a longer daily today, it took 3 warzones. Cause I managed to be on a winning team once (Alderaan, I think). I am starting to wonder if I am a common denominator in all the losing, lol. I tried to use CC more as recommended. And I ended up putting up the third q-bar and keyboud even more stuff, cause otherwise I keep forgetting about them.

I am still no closer to filling up the war chest, as I ran a far bit of missions to get a few master crafting achievements and to see if I can get some L53/54 blues added to my eclectic mix of gear. :)

Well, learn by doing absolutely applies. But it is certainly enjoyable! :)

And holy-moly guacamole! The game fell throu on Progenitor so I did all my 6 dailies on the Gunslinger, and had my behind squarely handed over back to me in wee little pieces. Good thing I have Riggs waiting back on the Black Hole after each match... you know, the least judgmental comp of the whole cast, looool. Zenith would have been in stitches.

War chest was better, so I was all happy to add another augment, only the blue ones suddenly jumped in price from 5 thou to 50 thou. I'll wait for mid-week, lol! Or till I can afford purples. :) And, a few more 140 pieces, getting closer to what a L50 character should look like... at L55. Which mans soonish I will be able to do Ilum-Directive X and finally Makeb-Oricon... (well one can hope!)

One of them was Huttball, and yay, i managed to pass, and managed to leg shot a few of the opposing team. We still lost like 5:1. Go us! We were resilient in the face of slaughter!

Was kind of funny. The ops leader told on Nov coast for the undergeared to go West... so yeah, I went west. On my own (I take it the rest was geared just fine), and of course after an uneven duel with a Sorc there got killed (though managed to slow him down with all my CC abilities. While the rest of the party got slaughtered at the mid. AFter which I just went to the mid to get killed collectively. :) I think it was the right thing to do, because the track and field on Novare is gigantic waste of time. Oh, well, hope it was the right thing to do.

The only yay! thinggie is that I now have the 4,000 damage on all the warzones. Fingers crossed that the gear will bring me to 5000 dmg with a single shot. That would be sweet!

So, the weekly resets on Tue, right? Can't wait!!!! And, I am totally starting to covet PvP gear. Because honestly, I think I am getting better, no, really-really! Well, can't claim passable, heh. But like, well, not awful?

EDIT: Sorry-sorry, another noob question. I do not see many Vanguards in PvP, but more commandos. Is that because people naturally prefer to play DPS, or is it because Vanguards have some sort of a flaw? Not that it matters, I guess, for unranked. But the inquiring minds want to know if I am as usual making the worst possible choice?

Edited by DomiSotto

One of them was Huttball, and yay, i managed to pass...

Yipee! haha. The first time I managed a pass in HB, and got back to Ilum (back in the days when people used to hang out on Ilum and collect "PvP chests" because there was nothing else to do) I was crowing about it (modestly) on general chat. "I completed a pass in HB!! Woo hoo! I know, I know. It doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment, but baby steps... baby steps." I actually got a lot of support - much like this thread. I think old-timers like to vicariously relive the thrill of those first "baby steps". :D Oh, and congrats!

[Hack getting slaughtered in Nov] I think it was the right thing to do, because the track and field on Novare is gigantic waste of time. Oh, well, hope it was the right thing to do.

I don't think there is much right you can do when you are in the unfortunate circumstance of getting rolled in a WZ except take it gracefully. You didn't start blaming your team mates and telling them all to unsub, and you just kept on keeping on, so, yeah, sounds to me like you did perfect. (IMO, of course)

So, the weekly resets on Tue, right?

Yep.

EDIT: Sorry-sorry, another noob question. I do not see many Vanguards in PvP, but more commandos. Is that because people naturally prefer to play DPS, or is it because Vanguards have some sort of a flaw? Not that it matters, I guess, for unranked. But the inquiring minds want to know if I am as usual making the worst possible choice?

I'm not sure about Vanguards having a flaw, but I think for sure most people want to play DPS. You can find other threads here about queuing for ranked as a tank and you get to wait forever until another tank finally queues up. I actually prefer "support" roles, like tanks. Right now I'm leveling a madness sorc, but I still play 'em more tank like than anything I think. Keep people bubbled, try to peel for healers, act as "off healer" when possible, doing my best to keep the rest of the team up and fighting. I even skip grabbing the damage power ups usually, because I know I concentrate less on DPS than most do. Well, that was a bit off your question, sry. But yeah, I think people like to DPS. You can see it in your own posts, where you are worried about your top damage numbers (legitimately I think, since you are just checking that you are being effective). No one ever worries about their top objective numbers. :D

lolno. Vanguards tank wise are not very good and are rather rare. However both Vanguard DPS specs are more than competitive currently. Commandoes are more popular in regs because "ZOMG HUGE CANNON"

Oh, nobody is ever cussing on the Harbinger :) I can't say enough about how nice everyone is. Why, a couple of slave-girl outfitted Twi'leks did a round of dancing while we had to load Alderaan. Lol, mine is a Twilek that ain't dancing and is covered chin to toe, but it was fun to watch the boys go at it.

Well, yes, I can see the attraction of the honking cannon, in fact I have one myself :) But, zut, I really wanted a tank, rather than another DPS. Out of my 12 chars, 2 are tank specked and one is a healer (well, maybe two; I might work my Scoundrel as Sawbones after reading Jrwellworth stuff), but that's really it :( I have a typical noob addiction to DPS. They usually balance the classes once in awhile though, so maybe it won't be too too bad to try him out as a tank? It looks like up to L21 it is Shield that is recommended for a Van anyhow... or is it old news?

I do watch my DPS rate, but that's because it is a tangible stat they provide in the achievements. The objectives I guess are reflected in medals, and my medal count is normally very low, 'cause L2P, of course :) But I am trying to at least die on the objective, to get extra points for defending or whatever.

Edited by DomiSotto

A PVP A DAY

As I sit and have coffee, I can hear the garbage man outside. It brings to mind my pvping yesterday. It feels some days as if I haven't learned anything and I just noob up. I was playing my sentinel yesterday in some matches and good god I was terribad. Granted I am learning my new binds for that toon, but I made awful mistakes. I killed the ball carrier and got the ball. To get towards my goal I targeted someone as far as I could leap and made the jump. It was ofc an op who stunlocked me. I had also leapt pretty far away from my team and I just panicked trying to break the stun and throw the ball. Turns out I hadn't rebound the throw the huttball ability. So while pressing p to get it, I was killed. Enemy team scored. Damage wise I was towards to bottom, not the very bottom but close. It was a pitiful performance.

I did a bit better on my scoundrel, in a voidstar match. I am also almost fully geared in Obroan and almost have my armormech high enough to make augment kits for my pvp set. So that will be a boon. In this voidstar match, though I must admit, the enemy team was really bad. I topped the healing, but really because they let me freecast. I wasn't really focused much, even in the midst of a fierce battle at the door I just stood in the middle of it all and threw UW medicine, kolto cloud and kolto pack without harassment. I was actually waiting to be killed, wanting to be killed but it didn't come, at least not in that part of the match. Oddly enough I didn't get killed till I started to dps. My dps is probably awful and it sucks energy but once my group was topped off I started to pewpew, and was then focused and killed. Funny that.

Those were really the only matches i got to do as I have been gathering and grinding dailies like mad so I can donate my part for the guild ship. It's daunting to say the least, at least at first. I have been having some connection problems but I hope to be able to pvp today a bit and have something good to report.

Your experience with Sentinel matches my Mara. Suddenly the character that was cooler than ice-cream in the leveling has all the prowess of a ragdoll.... So, yah, for now I don't do melee, though part of me wants my young Jugg to kiss Vette good-bye and off to war :)

Okay, my Gunslinger - 4 warzones (the L55 daily) - all losses and baaad losses. Two Hypergates, and all we were good for is holding our pylon. The opposing team rocked! In an Arena I was dumber than dumb (and a mara was awesome!) , and the last was Queshball, where I made a mistake of engaging into a shoot-out with a merc on the pipes. Don't do it, children. Just... don't. I left a scratch on him, and died. Hope it stung, lol. :D

I ran around the rest of the match spamming leg shots and flash-bombs and occasionally finding a knee-friendly groin. Whenever I tried to go into cover and do damage I died (the whole time, really).

Hilariously, I got an MVP vote, I am guessing someone has the same strategy in voting I do - the lowest player on the team. :) Either that or they happen to like Twi'leks, 'cause that's about the only thing is good about me.

EDIT: And yay, valor is up to 20, and 2 more augments added. Slowly but, ahem, slowly.

EDIT: aaand I was waiting for my hubby's toon to come to Corellia, so snack in another warzone, and for once was on a winning team in Novare Coast. I think it is my first ever! Lol. I spent some time doing a one on one in the woods with a similar spec and lost in the end, but at least I was not an insta-kill (baby steps, yes?). :)

Back to work tomorrow! :(

Edited by DomiSotto

and the last was Queshball, where I made a mistake of engaging into a shoot-out with a merc on the pipes.

The real mistake was not leaving when you saw it's Queshball :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, just in case you're not aware (I don't think it's been said in this thread), if you enter a warzone you really don't like, and there's still 35+ seconds until the match starts, it's considered perfectly okay to leave (right-clicking on your warzone queue button will give you the option), as your team will get a replacement in time.

Heh. You're getting there, Domi.

As long as you think about why you lost it's cool (ok, sometimes it's really the gear, but mostly "the other one did something right"). And sometimes oneself has just messed up.

A slinger is abit like a mara-on-range: you need to make the surroundings work fo you. (Knocking down a mara who just wasted his leap in huttball => easy duck shooting, i.e.)

I can easily see where I am going wrong - still very much worng button pusher and still think too too much.

No zones today - slept in, but WZ did not reset yet anyway. So played for about 20 min on my Vanguard to L9. Almost there!

We are going to go check out Rakghoul event now with our Jedi duo. I will stick my Twilek's nose into the OW PvP tomorrow morning on Tat Rakghoul. My behind is hurting in anticipation, lol!

(Groan) back to work, and with 6 espresso a day I think I can manage Rakghoul on 2 alts, solos only, but no PvP. And because I am switching the alts between the early morning and the evening run, I play even worse than usual. But now I have the second alt, the Seer to L55.... and not augmented yet at all. Well, fingers crossed I am missing on my PvP for the coveted Newcomer status and the relics will help all my 9 under L 22 alts!

Heh. I just got my Quinn-Infected customization (that's even better than robot-quinn, altho I granted him that medic-helmet with faceguard lately... ) and that was all I wanted from the event. (Not much into pve or ... *shudder* 'achievements' or rep grind).

Back to pvp and sending my crewmembers on material missions for stronghold prefabs. XD

Aww, I do love levelling. Still have ~ 5.01 class stories to experience. :) I enjoy the RP part of the character as much as the skill development. Both are great in this game. Luv it. I am starting to think that levelling + unranked PvP is my sweet spot for experiencing the game.

Actually did better than I thought on Gunslinger this morning on RakPlague run, and yay! Used the Leg Shot I would not have thought of on my life till PvP attempts liberally on the gold mobs and they no longer killed her.

Aww, I do love levelling. Still have ~ 5.01 class stories to experience. :) I enjoy the RP part of the character as much as the skill development. Both are great in this game. Luv it. I am starting to think that levelling + unranked PvP is my sweet spot for experiencing the game.

Actually did better than I thought on Gunslinger this morning on RakPlague run, and yay! Used the Leg Shot I would not have thought of on my life till PvP attempts liberally on the gold mobs and they no longer killed her.

Yes, PvP often leads to getting a lot better at pve. Up to the point where you find Mobs kind of dumb and start to hate their ability to instant-face-you. ;)