Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

housing got decoration hooks :((

brutall

To all people unhappy with the hook system, look at yesterday's twitch stream, where they demonstrated it. It was pretty much free placement, but with preventing stupidities like things floating in midair, clipping into each other, etc...

And yet you can't do something as simple as putting a lamp on a table.

I wouldn't mind the hook system if they let us break it a little bit. Even if we can't turn it off completely then the following would make me happy enough with it:

1) Add a vertical height adjuster.

2) Make the off sets unlimited so that I can move something across the room if I want to while still using that hook.

3) Rotation options for all axis.

While not as usable as a proper free form system it would make the hook system flexible enough to be completely free form.

Edited by MarsherMeow

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all people unhappy with the hook system, look at yesterday's twitch stream, where they demonstrated it. It was pretty much free placement, but with preventing stupidities like things floating in midair, clipping into each other, etc...

Oh most of the people unhappy with the hook system will pretty much ignore those videos since anything but 100% free "I can place this table hovering in mid air and use it as the body for a T-rex made out of lamps and furniture" won't impress them.

First, I do not think they are contradictory. Next, failing to meet expectations does not necessarily mean failure. It all depends on how you define the criteria for failure. As far as the "grabbed from thin air" comment, if you checked my post history you will find that is not the case. The references for my opinion are clearly listed, though certainly not beyond debate.

As to the last comment, I could not speculate on how many threads there were or are to that respect. I certainly did not base my view on any amount of threads, though I do personally think there were plenty of threads at the time of development and early release that indicated what was wrong with the feature...and those threads pop up from time to time.

I think most folks that had an issue with the feature gave up and moved on to other aspects of the game, or perhaps got over their concerns and are now enjoying the feature.

Again, if you find the statements lack merit, that is a fair observation IMO. It is up to the reader to determine if anything I post has merit or not. I do not make that determination.

Well, I don't agree with your assessment that a majority of the playerbase wanted something vastly different from what we got.

But we could discuss that all day, I got my question answered anyway.

Oh most of the people unhappy with the hook system will pretty much ignore those videos since anything but 100% free "I can place this table hovering in mid air and use it as the body for a T-rex made out of lamps and furniture" won't impress them.

Look at the simple things. You can't place a lamp on a table. You can place a table or a lamp or a lamp next to the table but you can't place the lamp on the table.

You also can't sit in chairs but that's a separate issue all together.

Edited by MarsherMeow

You also can't sit in chairs but that's a separate issue all together.

Are you drunk? They showed sitting in chairs twice during the livestream yesterday. Eric even joked about the chat "losing their minds" over it. :rolleyes:

I have to say, I didn't expected free placement... but still, that I cannot even put a things on top of other things is really low. Even facebook games get that right (at least those I have played there). I want to be able to place datapad, or lamps, or even pets on desks and whathaveyou... otherwise housing will just be too sterile.

I don't really care so much about that what annoys me is that we have to buy access to the legacy storage from the CM that will probably be over priced or from the GTN that most definitely will be overpriced.

Crafters can make them, level a crafter you have time to do it. Instead of complaining about it do something about it, thsi is why I have multiple high level crafters.

Are you drunk? They showed sitting in chairs twice during the livestream yesterday. Eric even joked about the chat "losing their minds" over it. :rolleyes:

I think he means that they are not clickable and you have to use a / command to sit...

But honestly, I'm fine with that since it allows more freedom of where to sit and how.

I have to say, I didn't expected free placement... but still, that I cannot even put a things on top of other things is really low. Even facebook games get that right (at least those I have played there). I want to be able to place datapad, or lamps, or even pets on desks and whathaveyou... otherwise housing will just be too sterile.

Well sure, but those facebook games are also infinately simpler in their design.

Besides, from the looks of the twitch stream, there ARE things on most of the tables... you just can't move them around freely.

Well sure, but those facebook games are also infinately simpler in their design.

Besides, from the looks of the twitch stream, there ARE things on most of the tables... you just can't move them around freely.

yes and that sucks. i understand why they want hooks for casuals. but dammit give us the option to turn it off! best thing i got out of housing is making stuff out of stuff :p they should go look up wildstar housing its easy system and also don't use hooks

and now back to + things it was allot bigger then i expected so that's nice and that you can have your space ship out side :D

but looks like you cant change cooler on the walls and floor :( every house will have the same feeling am afraid only you see stuff placed a little diffrent

but looks like you cant change cooler on the walls and floor :( every house will have the same feeling am afraid only you see stuff placed a little diffrent

Good point. I'm not sure that came up during the live stream, and I hope they provide a mechanism to change the color and texture of the walls, floor and ceiling.

Another question I have is will crafting mats stored in legacy storage be accessable to all of your characters?

I actually got to check this article/video out today, the hook concept seems fine. It just giving some limitations as far big, medium or small.

Honestly you could probably put a bunch of little ones probably to combine small furniture items together, people can be pretty creative.

Is it as customization as SWG? Gf course not.

Then again nothing really has been up to this point....so why would you expect that much freedom.

The system still looks pretty awesome and we do get alot more freedom then i would have honestly expected.

So far I am pretty much pleased with what I have seen

I actually got to check this article/video out today, the hook concept seems fine. It just giving some limitations as far big, medium or small.

Honestly you could probably put a bunch of little ones probably to combine small furniture items together, people can be pretty creative.

Then again nothing really has been up to this point....so why would you expect that much freedom.

The system still looks pretty awesome and we do get alot more freedom then i would have honestly expected.

Agreed.

I didn't need free placement for this to be entertaining.

I see some people really complaining about this system. It's not the average hook system at all. It's something completely different than anything that has ever been in a system in an mmorpg ever. It's more a less for simple placement at first with the hooks to put the stuff down then you'll be able to move it around. It's freedom but with organization.

Also, I feel like some people don't know what "hooks" are and they are just going along with the negativity and have in their mind how "omg horrible!" it is because they won't get to move that chair 1mm over than where it is. Or maybe you will?

I wish sometimes people would stop jumping to conclusions and being negative all the time. This is a great system that will again, grow as it comes out and keep getting worked on. Sometimes it seems expectations for these things are not to realistic and some just have ridiculous thoughts about it.

It is a great system that goes with the game, not your average hook system, not a complete lack of control system either. It is a sensible approach that will still let you have freedom and control of where you want to put things. I am very, very pleased with this. Time for some creativity!

Edited by Sarfux

And yet you can't do something as simple as putting a lamp on a table.

I wouldn't mind the hook system if they let us break it a little bit. Even if we can't turn it off completely then the following would make me happy enough with it:

1) Add a vertical height adjuster.

2) Make the off sets unlimited so that I can move something across the room if I want to while still using that hook.

3) Rotation options for all axis.

While not as usable as a proper free form system it would make the hook system flexible enough to be completely free form.

Maybe I'm crazy here, but I swear in the twitch stream they added a dancer on top of a table after placing it, and adjusted it with a vertical height adjuster. I'll have to look at it again to confirm. (Unless someone else sees it first I guess.)

I don't think we need unlimited rotation and location adjustment for it to work. What you've basically outlined is free form layout, and that's obviously not going to happen. That doesn't mean the system won't be flexible enough. I think, based on the twitch stream, that it is flexible enough to allow for truly personalized strongholds.

I see some people really complaining about this system. It's not the average hook system at all. It's something completely different than anything that has ever been in a system in an mmorpg ever. It's more a less for simple placement at first with the hooks to put the stuff down then you'll be able to move it around. It's freedom but with organization.

Also, I feel like some people don't know what "hooks" are and they are just going along with the negativity and have in their mind how "omg horrible!" it is because they won't get to move that chair 1mm over than where it is. Or maybe you will?

I wish sometimes people would stop jumping to conclusions and being negative all the time. This is a great system that will again, grow as it comes out and keep getting worked on. Sometimes it seems expectations for these things are not to realistic and some just have ridiculous thoughts about it.

It is a great system that goes with the game, not your average hook system, not a complete lack of control system either. It is a sensible approach that will still let you have freedom and control of where you want to put things. I am very, very pleased with this. Time for some creativity!

Jumping to conclusions seem to be the national sport of the SWTOR community...

Again, it is my hope that this proves to be the most common sentiment, or at least if folks do not care for hooks they find this system is flexible enough to give it a pass.

Honestly Sarfux, you can't contend it is a great system any more than someone can contend it is terrible to be fair, the very folks you are complaining about....you are also jumping to conclusions...conclusions that it is great.

But like them you have not tried it yet.

Honestly Sarfux, you can't contend it is a great system any more than someone can contend it is terrible to be fair, the very folks you are complaining about....you are also jumping to conclusions...conclusions that it is great.

But like them you have not tried it yet.

I can contend it is a great system because I have seen it. I have been with this game before there was even a site and have put my ideas into it. I have been with this game for a VERY long time.

I'm just trying to reassure you it's not going to be as bad as you think. ;)

So does complaining about complainers.

Which, ironically, often keeps the threads of the very complainers they are complaining about...on the front page. And then we get complaining about too many complaint threads. ;)

Sometimes, the prudent thing to do is to let go of the idea of always needing to prove oneself right/someone else wrong.

Maybe I'm crazy here, but I swear in the twitch stream they added a dancer on top of a table after placing it, and adjusted it with a vertical height adjuster. I'll have to look at it again to confirm. (Unless someone else sees it first I guess.)

I don't think we need unlimited rotation and location adjustment for it to work. What you've basically outlined is free form layout, and that's obviously not going to happen. That doesn't mean the system won't be flexible enough. I think, based on the twitch stream, that it is flexible enough to allow for truly personalized strongholds.

No they didn't place the dancer on the table, they placed it on a hook next to the table and it kinda floated there even when they moved the table slightly so I think that's a bug. The only off set options are X and Y axis... no Z axis modifications.

If the off set options was expanded to allow you to have an unlimited offset rather than 10 units and the Z axis was added I would be much much happier. This would allow us to sort of force the hook system into free form.

That's what it looked like at first but later in the stream they clarified that they was using the /chair emote to do it.

Edited by MarsherMeow

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.