Tired of being called anti-social for playing strictly solo and not using vent.

bigbobsr

I have a family and friends in real life that I socialize with all the time. I am not anti-social. I meet and greet other people when I am out and about.

I just plain like playing ALL online games solo. If there is something wrong with that please let me know. I don't see how calling me anti-social or a troll in game relates to playing solo.

Then why play a mmorpg? Because I like the game and play it like a single player video game.

Yes, I know I am missing out on a lot of stuff, but if I can't do it by myself, I don't care to do it.

Bob.........

I have a family and friends in real life that I socialize with all the time. I am not anti-social. I meet and greet other people when I am out and about.

I just plain like playing ALL online games solo. If there is something wrong with that please let me know. I don't see how calling me anti-social or a troll in game relates to playing solo.

Then why play a mmorpg? Because I like the game and play it like a single player video game.

Yes, I know I am missing out on a lot of stuff, but if I can't do it by myself, I don't care to do it.

Bob.........

just curious if you don't talk or group with anyone in game who's calling you anti social? are you so anti social it is even offending the NPC's :)

Edited by Vis-Tecum

If I may add a point, the error, if there is one, is in allowing folks to define you in any measure....you should not be bothered by the judgements IMO since you are the only one that defines what you are and why you do what you do.

You have every right to seek enjoyment in the game any way you see fit, as long as it does not break game rules or impact other players in a negative way.

I also feel your view and playing method might be more common than folks might expect. So in my eyes you are likely not alone, so to speak.

IMO multiplayer can mean "play around" instead of "play with".

Edited by LordArtemis

"Being social always refers to the interaction of organisms with other organisms and to their collective co-existence, irrespective of whether they are aware of it or not, and irrespective of whether the interaction is voluntary or involuntary.

Says it all lol

Last thing you wanna do is care what other people think of you in a video game. Still people can get over it and shut up as well. People can play this game they way they want as long as they don't bother other people with it...and I guess that's exactly what they are doing.

Anyone who says you're anti-social because you play solo is, in fact, wrong.

I was at a party one time, and most people were hanging around the living room area, but one guy was off chilling in some other room...can't remember why, he was tired or something.

Anyway, later he said, "Sorry I was being anti-social..." To which my friend said, "Going off by yourself isn't anti-social. Now, if you'd tossed a grenade at us while we were socializing....that would be anti-social." :tran_smile:

Bob.........

Good grief, I am sorry you've had this kind of experience.

I, too, prefer to go it alone, though for much different reasons than you, and no one has ever called me names for doing so. Well, they might have, but I keep chat minimized so I'd never know it. That said, only yesterday someone on this very forum saw fit to remind me this was an MMO.

I find it curious how people define those three words -- massively multiplayer online -- as though their concatenation dictates anything more than a whole bunch of people accessing a game universe simultaneously.

Here's hoping you have fewer problems in future. :)

Bob.........

You don't sound anti social to me. Now me.....I've got a handful of ppl (friends and family) that I deal with. My job requires me to be somewhat social, but if I'm not working.....I'll walk right past you look you dead in the face and never even acknowledge you exist. I'll be the first to admit that I'm really not a nice person. I am anti social.....you just like to play solo. Lol

So what was going on that someone called you anti-social? I've been called that and I am anti-social.

I was at a party one time, and most people were hanging around the living room area, but one guy was off chilling in some other room...can't remember why, he was tired or something.

Anyway, later he said, "Sorry I was being anti-social..." To which my friend said, "Going off by yourself isn't anti-social. Now, if you'd tossed a grenade at us while we were socializing....that would be anti-social." :tran_smile:

I did this once, since than I have never been invite to another party.

I too prefer to Level and play the story lines alone, but I quickly found that I like to have end game grade gear so that there are more things that I can experience Solo, like some of the flashpoints and heroics. So I had to start grouping up to get end game gear. Now that I have been in a guild for a long time and on a raid team for almost as long I can say that grouping up a couple times a week (as long as it is with decent people) isn't all that bad. It allows one to see that game from a whole different perspective and learn different tactics and have good folks to ask questions from.

I too really enjoy the solo portions of the game, but after now that I see what the social side is like, I realize that it ain't to bad.

And this type of response is exactly why the term "anti social" needs to be redefined.

In short, the overall term is completely biased, where the actual root meaning is "against social". The definitions in various links indicate that an air of venomous or antagonistic intent exists with the root meaning by default, which is why you see such a strong and opinionated denial of classifying the OP as such, along with the OP's disdain for the label.

To put it simply, yes, if you look at only what the root term defines with an unbiased opinion, you would fall under the main category of being "anti social", as you are avoiding social interaction with others with comments such as "If I can't do it alone, I don't care to do it."

Is that problem? It shouldn't be, no one can say they've never been anti social before in their lives as everyone gets tired or doesn't care about interacting with people.

The only reason it has such a negative meaning is because people who depend on social interaction for positive feelings experience some form of emotional negativity when they are denied your company, no matter the reason. Thus, "anti social" being a negative thing is actually something you can not control, as you will always fit the negative meaning of the word in someone's eyes, even if all you do is say, "I appreciate the offer, but I want to do this mission on my own." So don't get worked up over something you can't control. So what if you're anti social, all it really means at the core of it is is that you prefer to do things by yourself no matter the reason.

Anything else is just a game of popularity and politics, to be completely honest. Which can be fun, if you see things from a certain perspective, as long as you always remember that it's only a game ;)

And this type of response is exactly why the term "anti social" needs to be redefined.

In short, the overall term is completely biased, where the actual root meaning is "against social". The definitions in various links indicate that an air of venomous or antagonistic intent exists with the root meaning by default, which is why you see such a strong and opinionated denial of classifying the OP as such, along with the OP's disdain for the label.

To put it simply, yes, if you look at only what the root term defines with an unbiased opinion, you would fall under the main category of being "anti social", as you are avoiding social interaction with others with comments such as "If I can't do it alone, I don't care to do it."

Is that problem? It shouldn't be, no one can say they've never been anti social before in their lives as everyone gets tired or doesn't care about interacting with people.

The only reason it has such a negative meaning is because people who depend on social interaction for positive feelings experience some form of emotional negativity when they are denied your company, no matter the reason. Thus, "anti social" being a negative thing is actually something you can not control, as you will always fit the negative meaning of the word in someone's eyes, even if all you do is say, "I appreciate the offer, but I want to do this mission on my own." So don't get worked up over something you can't control. So what if you're anti social, all it really means at the core of it is is that you prefer to do things by yourself no matter the reason.

Anything else is just a game of popularity and politics, to be completely honest. Which can be fun, if you see things from a certain perspective, as long as you always remember that it's only a game ;)

Well the immediate thing I think of when a person says anti-social, is anti-social personality disorder. I think the original scenario was a joke about acting sociopathic.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone can or would be calling you an anti-social troll if you aren't being social.

And why would you be asked to use Ventrilo, Mumble or Teamspeak if you weren't grouping?

Now, if you join an operations group and they ask you to use voice chat, I see their point. You really should if you can. Some operations have mechanics that need to be explained and typing it in chat is slow and difficult when voice chat can do it quickly. If you can't listen to the directions then you're probably going to get the group wiped. Which means they'll kick you out and add you to their ignore lists.

Also some guilds expect you to actually talk and contribute not just join for the XP boost.

Not a big problem if you play solo though.

Bob.........

People will call you names when they feel like it, you can probably agree it is not unusual. What does it matter to you, a solo player? The only time you may experience this kind of treatment will be when you insist a multiplayer game should provide more options to a player like you. Other than that what does it really matter what other players think when you are not even interacting with them?

You do not want to use vent? You only need to use vent if you join a group that requires you to use it, but that would not be playing solo, now would it? If you do not wish to comply with the wishes of the group, find another group, but under no circumstances you should demand a group to cater to your needs. That may be why people get upset with your style of play.

Edited by ELRunninW

Honestly, I'm surprised the OP received criticism. I also play completely solo, and no one's ever told me anything about it.

For me, there's just something more relaxing about playing solo. You get to do things at your own pace with no pressure. You don't have to tryhard to do a good job in fights (like actively drawing aggro as a tank), or to apologize if you're having lag. You don't have to feel bad about stopping to send your companions on crew skill missions. There's no hurry. I find it very comfortable.

And it's not as if I don't like the community. Quite the opposite: most people I've talked to ingame have been nice, polite and helpful.

First, thank you all for your comments. Have perked me up and raised my spirits today.

I have been asked through whisper to join a guild, group or such with voice, vent, voip or such required. Being polite and answering I don't group or use voice stuff, then on a very few to rare times was called anti-social or loner. Last comment that sparked this thread was that I was a lonely person with no friends, begone troll and then put me on ignore.

Thanks again for all your input.

Bob....................

This is some seriously paradoxical stuff.

Why are you on this mmo forum complaining about social interaction when you claim to not want the social aspect of the game? If any of that is true why do you care if someone said some stuff and ignored you?

I suggest you turn off all player chat. Simple... Then no one will ever bother you again.

I'd like to know why you can't exercise use of the ignore feature, if you're so inclined to play alone.

I can understand not turning off chat, because there are some NPC dialogue lines that appear there. Of course, that might suggest you prefer the simulation of the experience of playing with others over the "real thing."

What was the point of this thread?

Edited by Ansultares