Yo devs, gimme 10k fleet req for free

Verain

When 2.8 launches, I think it would be amazing if everyone got 10,000 fleet req, AND from this point forward, new players had 10,000 fleet req.

Ideally, this would only be spendable on ships, but honestly, fleet req is fleet req.

Benefits:

1)- I would get 10,000 fleet req on my mains. This means the new ships are free to me!

2)- I would get 10,000 fleet req on my alts. This means free ships for my alts!

3)- There would be no such thing as a two-shipper! Every little noob would be able to check out ships that might suite their playstyle, instead of just the default two. This would be true going forward too!

So you mean newer players could pick up a Razorwire, Mangler and Sting immediately? Blasphemous! These are all OP ships and should never be played. Especially the Razorwire. How dare you make a suggestion that weakens premades? Why give incentives for newer players to learn ships played frequently in the meta? None of this makes any sense at all!

B.S. aside, I like this idea. Even if the 10k req is only for newer pilots.

Edited by TrinityLyre

So... no more newbs? But.... but.... who would those cheaters (premades) beat the crap out of? Who would they kill the will to play to then? I'm sure every vet would quit if that wish of yours came true!

If Bioware is willing to put aside their profits from selling cartel market ships I am all for it.

Edit: If they want a real money maker, better and more distinctive paint jobs that you could buy across your ships might be incredible. When I kill people I want them to now I was there, I hunted them and they were killed by me.

Edited by General_Brass

yeah why not.

Doubt anything like that would happen. But as a perk for release of 2.8 granting 10k fleet reqs to everyone or even just new ish players. 10k not alot but would give them chance to unlock 2 ships if they chose im all for that.

Not all for free stuff to people but a few fleet reqs sure why not.

/signed

5k, for new pilot subscribers only. Let 'em get one or two extra ships. That's bonus enough. Otherwise, there's little point to flying as the primary goal for now appears to be "master all of the things". -bp

I quite liked earning my ships, ive only been playing GSF for 3 weeks, have my FF and bomber now, enjoying owning all the people that killed me so much in my first few matches.

10k fleet req would have been wasted on me when i first started and the rubbish starter ships made me learn to play quicker.

Don't be silly, they're not supposed to let people in through the paywall's back door.

Mailing out little gift packages that give 10k ship req to the Starguard/Rycer and Novadive/Blackbolt might make more sense, assuming it's possible to target the req to specific ships the way the paint jobs go to specific ships.

Gives new players a chance to start their first game with a few defensive upgrades that really help, but also gives them the option of instead using CC conversion to unlock new ships instead.

Hm, that's a lot of ships unlocked with conversion, maybe 5k ship req for the ships given to 2 shippers.

I quite liked earning my ships, ive only been playing GSF for 3 weeks, have my FF and bomber now, enjoying owning all the people that killed me so much in my first few matches.

10k fleet req would have been wasted on me when i first started and the rubbish starter ships made me learn to play quicker.

Oh, dear. If you think the starter ships are rubbish you need to find a match where you can fly against skilled pilots. In the right hands a Novadive is just as deadly as a Flashfire.

Well, they *ARE* rubbish when you start.

Lets ask the WAYBACK MACHINE about a novadive:

Rapid Fire Laser / Rocket Pods / Barrel Roll / Booster Recharge / Quick Charge Shield / Lightweight Armor / Power Thruster / Range Cap

All are baseline. Rapid Fire Laser is the worst gun in the game, and there it is. Switching to Light Laser or Laser costs 2k each, so a new player is less likely to do that, and we all know upgrading rapids is a trap. Quick Charge Shield is probably on here for engine efficiency, but it should be either of the other choices- QCS is pretty much pathetic on scouts.

Meanwhile, of the "good" components- Rocket Pods, Barrel Roll, Lightweight Armor, Range Cap- only Barrel Roll is easy to use for a new player, and the armor choice is just poor for a low evasion build like this.

Power Thrusters are the worst thrusters, straight up worse than regeneration.

And this is far superior to the stock Starguard!

Of course we all know how these ships can be flown, and can be good. The Type 2 Scout being too good doesn't make the Type 1 Scout not good enough. The Type 1 Strike has SEVERAL good-ish builds, but note that they all mostly rely on heavy req spending to be solid.

The problem isn't that these ships are bad. The problem is that a two-shipper lacks a lot of context and often feels overwhelmed. It's also very easy for him to work off his x2 req if he wants- it would be good to keep him around playing other roles for more game, as THAT will make the flavor of the game much more likely to be treasured.

Many of us relate to this, because we pretty much all rolled the same way. But I still see two-shippers, and some of them complain that they don't have ship X. I know that's just an excuse, we all do, but... if they DID have the ability to get ship X, then they'll be more likely to get into the swing of the game.

If Bioware is willing to put aside their profits from selling cartel market ships I am all for it.

I don't approach with this much cynicism, but you bring up a good point.

As I'm sure you guys noticed, the game really twists your arm to pay. There's four ways:

1)- All the cosmetic stuff. I think everyone is down with the CC paint jobs, paint colors, blaster colors, and engine colors.

2)- Selling whole ships. These ships are normally lacking in animation and customization, and are always clones of existing ships. It should be obvious that, aside from the Gladiator/Enforcer, these ships exist to give you a side method of advancing. I'm personally hugely in favor of these- I like having multiple copies available, and I am really down with the art style of all but the Type 2 Scout. But this is more controversial, and a new player especially feels arm-twisted here.

3)- Converting ship to fleet for the purpose of opening new ships. I openly recommend this in any new player guide. I give the costs in dollars (It's less than 10), and it gets you access to new ships. This is sort of controversial in the player base, but given the low cost of cartel coins for this purpose (1400 converts enough for ALL ships to be unlocked, and I doubt everyone wants every ship) I think this is reasonablish.

4)- Converting ship to fleet req for the purpose of stacking a single ship. I don't recommend this to any player normally, because the costs can be far higher, but if you want an advantage fast, there it is. This is the more controversial option: I've seen players call each other out for this (pretended) offense, and the other guy inevitably denies it. It also exists mostly without cap, which is strange.

With each daily token giving ship req to ALL ships, it's clear that the game is twisting your arm to acquire ships as fast as possible, which is, I think, the INTENTION of the design- a new player is supposed to want to drop 100 cartel coins to convert the 2500 needed to buy the boy bomber, or help buy the flashfire. It's not a LOT of CCs, but yet I still see two shippers.

So I think it could be a wash. Give 10k fleet req out to all players, and yes, some player will be like "oh, that was the last fleet req I needed to open all the ships I care about, what a relief, I was going to have to spend cartel coins!". But I would think some OTHER player will be like "oh, cool, lemme check these ships out, ok great, lemme buy the bomber paint job" or "wow, I GET the game now, lemme spend CCs to unlock the rest of the ships".

I'm not marketer, I don't know the statistics here. I doubt that 10k fleet req would hurt the CC model- in fact, I think it would help it, because free samples almost ALWAYS whet the appetite- but there's no way it would just crash it or anything.

More importantly, I don't think there's many players who would dislike this or feel cheated. If you JUST spent the 400 cartel coins to convert the LAST ship to fleet that you needed to open EVERYTHING- even that situation is, you get 10,000 req for some ship, so you probably won't be TOO cross. For the players with many ships and 15k-200k fleet req pooled for new shipss, well, you probably WANT this to happen so that new players try new things.

I just don't see anyone losing. Two shippers win big, alts win big, pilots get a small windfall, veterans get a drop in the bucket but are normally very interested in the first two things.

5k, for new pilot subscribers only.

This game has a pretty huge arm twist to be a subscriber on the requisition side. No, I don't like that idea. Two-shippers normally don't subscribe- if they did, they'd at least be three-shippers because of the free gunship. There's already rewards for subscribing, but a F2P guy already doesn't, and won't know what's happening, and will just feel left further behind.

No, this is definitely an argument to:

1)- Get diversity in ship types.

2)- Hook players by making them make a REAL choice early on, notably, which ships to unlock, and thus make them feel responsible for what is in their hangar instead of it just appearing one day.

3)- Reduce the sense of "unfair!" when a newish player sees a gunship, bomber, flashfire, etc. that he wants but doesn't really understand how to unlock. This should reduce the number of players who feel that the intro ships are strictly worse than the other ships.

4)- Reduce the pressure to play a role no one else has picked. The guy with boy bomber, type 1 strike, type 1 scout normally feels the need to run the boy bomber, because the rest of the two-shippers that he just graduated from can't run anything but scout and strike.

5)- Increase familiarity with all ships. If you play the ship, you understand the weaknesses way faster, and it improves your play against it, and the likelihood that you'll UNDERSTAND and REACT properly. You'll see less strikes boosting towards the noses of gunships in this world.

6)- Reduce the barrier to rolling an alt. Picture if any alt you rolled- perhaps because you needed to be something else in the ground game, or to see the plot, or maybe you rolled a GSF alt to smurf, or a GSF alt on another server. Pretend that you could IMMEDIATELY buy your favorite ship and play a naked version of it on your VERY FIRST game.

I think it's all winning hands down. It won't give players all the ships, it won't make you less likely to buy CCs, it won't make you worse at the game, it won't make you less likely to queue, it won't make you cross if you are a veteran.

Make it a reward for completing the "DO THE TUTORIAL" quest.

A fine idea, but I think you have to go to a certain terminal and be a certain level to get that quest. If that crap could get removed, then sure. Otherwise, just hand it out. They could also up that reward in specific, but is the problem really people who don't do the tutorial? I feel the tutorial is very strange. It pops up literally a mile of text that you can't search or navigate well, etc. It tells you how to change engine settings, a big thing many novices miss even after doing the tutorial. Still good to encourage.

Anyway, it shouldn't take any knowledge to get it- that's the point. You shouldn't have to know which interminable loading screen, which part of the densely packed monsters being ridden by crazy people with lightsabers who don't draw in promptly, and which nondescript gray terminal you have to walk up to and right click, and then which of its pvp quests is really a pve quest, etc. Too much fiddling?

It would also be really nice if the req could ONLY be spent on ships. I'm sure some noob would use it to buy ranks in rapid fire laser, but I don't know how to fix that. I think, ultimately, some people are just gonna be a bit too dense to save with current tech, you know?

Oh, dear. If you think the starter ships are rubbish you need to find a match where you can fly against skilled pilots. In the right hands a Novadive is just as deadly as a Flashfire.

I rolled a new imp char on TEH and had some really good games in my novadive equivalent (sorry, dont usually play as imp so the name escapes me) with next to no upgrades, really enjoyed hunting down gunships, getting some burst on bombers and flitting between bases.

I use my novadive in some matches depending on what the other team are using but the starter version certainly felt like it was lacking quite a lot compared to my partially upgraded one, i personally think it felt rubbish in comparison.

yeah why not.

Doubt anything like that would happen. But as a perk for release of 2.8 granting 10k fleet reqs to everyone or even just new ish players. 10k not alot but would give them chance to unlock 2 ships if they chose im all for that.

Well for 2.8 they aren't giving it to us for free... but there's something like that. We get double requisition for the first three weeks. Couple that with ships that have their daily bonus and earning 200\ fleet req per match can be the rule instead of the exception for just fighting a few matches a day. Fleet req can pile up fast at that rate.

Well, they *ARE* rubbish when you start.

Lets ask the WAYBACK MACHINE about a novadive:

Rapid Fire Laser / Rocket Pods / Barrel Roll / Booster Recharge / Quick Charge Shield / Lightweight Armor / Power Thruster / Range Cap

All are baseline. Rapid Fire Laser is the worst gun in the game, and there it is. Switching to Light Laser or Laser costs 2k each, so a new player is less likely to do that, and we all know upgrading rapids is a trap. Quick Charge Shield is probably on here for engine efficiency, but it should be either of the other choices- QCS is pretty much pathetic on scouts.

Meanwhile, of the "good" components- Rocket Pods, Barrel Roll, Lightweight Armor, Range Cap- only Barrel Roll is easy to use for a new player, and the armor choice is just poor for a low evasion build like this.

Power Thrusters are the worst thrusters, straight up worse than regeneration.

And this is far superior to the stock Starguard!

Of course we all know how these ships can be flown, and can be good. The Type 2 Scout being too good doesn't make the Type 1 Scout not good enough. The Type 1 Strike has SEVERAL good-ish builds, but note that they all mostly rely on heavy req spending to be solid.

You should take a Flashfire or Sting through your wayback machine. They don't start with builds that lend themselves to rampages of destruction without changing out and upgrading a few components. The good builds require about as many component swaps as the good builds for the starter ships do. They get more out of the mastered final build than the starter ships do, but the initial difference isn't that great.

I think it's partly a placebo effect where if new players see lots of Sting/Flashires at the top of the scoreboard they're more willing to stick it out while flying a Sting/Flashfire even if their performance is just as terrible as it would be if they were in a Novadive. Basically, if they're flying the same ship they're more willing to believe that the performance gap is largely skill based.

For reference, what I'm changing out on Starguards on my cross server alts is just swapping to Large Reactor, and then using req. conversion to unlock the ideal crew selection ASAP. Aside from that the base build doesn't really have any problems component wise. On the Flashfire either of the good builds requires swapping out at least 3 components.

Edited by Ramalina

I only started Starfighter a few weeks ago (and I only joined SWTOR in March) so I don't remember all the ship names off the top of my head.

I do remember getting killed all the time on my imp scout at the beginning because I was saving all my req for another scout (not the sting, whatever the other one is called). I only used the ship req for a few upgrades on the Blackbolt. Once I got the beautiful scout I wanted, I discovered that it sucked (or I sucked with it) compared to how good I was getting with the Blackbolt. So that was a waste. To this day I only leave the Blackbolt for a gunship when necessary.

Still, having bonus fleet req when starting would be great for new players. I'd love to get more people to play it. It can get really old playing against waves of people who are way better than you. And I hate to constantly pick on anyone less experienced than me simply because I can actually defeat them. Offering new players extra req might be a great way to help balance things out.

I only started Starfighter a few weeks ago (and I only joined SWTOR in March) so I don't remember all the ship names off the top of my head.

I do remember getting killed all the time on my imp scout at the beginning because I was saving all my req for another scout (not the sting, whatever the other one is called). I only used the ship req for a few upgrades on the Blackbolt. Once I got the beautiful scout I wanted, I discovered that it sucked (or I sucked with it) compared to how good I was getting with the Blackbolt. So that was a waste. To this day I only leave the Blackbolt for a gunship when necessary.

Still, having bonus fleet req when starting would be great for new players. I'd love to get more people to play it. It can get really old playing against waves of people who are way better than you. And I hate to constantly pick on anyone less experienced than me simply because I can actually defeat them. Offering new players extra req might be a great way to help balance things out.

Ha. I predicted this very thing would happen. That the Bloodmark (the T3 Scout), would be bought by tons of new players purely because it looks awesome, and those new players would not have the knowledge to realize that the Bloodmark is a niche ship good at pretty much only one particular support role at one particular time of one particular gametype.

Still, if you'd like for your awesome looking Bloodmark to get some more unique offensive power which would justify your buying it, please support/bump this thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=738744

Giving bonus fleet req to new Galactic Starfighter players could encourage more people to try it out. Right now, you have a ton of experienced players and some less experienced players that usually get killed a lot. It would be nice to get a wave of new players to add a bit more balance.

If I had 10,000 fleet req given to me when I started GSF, I wouldn't have been quite as discouraged as I initially was. The resemblance to Rogue Squadron (my first Star Wars game) and my desperation for exp were the only reasons I didn't give up. There are simply too many people who've got fully-upgraded ships and tons of experience playing GSF to make it easy enough to get started.

Now, there will always be times when several experienced players are matched against newbies, but adding more newbies could at least give new players more even competition. An increased interest in GSF would also mean more attention by Bioware in future updates.

I don't expect this to happen, but I'd love it if it did. I'd probably even play GSF with my other toons. As it is, upgrading the ships takes so long that I haven't bothered with more than one character in each faction. It's hard to go back to basics after playing with an upgraded version of your favorite ship. :)

I have several ships all earned through playing, I have no issue with this.

I really think all new players should have access to at least one of each type of ship, be it only so they can find what fits their play style the more and to be able to learn the strength and weakness of each class.

After they finish the tutorial and play their first match they should get their 10k fleet reqs, with the idea of buying new ships encouraged but not forced.