Weird stuff going on...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(++ for an idea that includes brackets but also allows all players to find a game within a reasonable amount of time)

Scouts can and usually do have a high base evasion (%33) + Targeting Telemetry (10 seconds +8%) + DF (6 seconds + 27% evasion) + Running Interference (20 seconds + 15% evasion)

33% just for base is high enough to evade a meaningful amount of shots let alone the fact that a pilot can use these abilities discerningly to increase their evasion for 36 seconds (if you used them end to end) - this is usually not the case though, I tend to use DF on its own and targeting telemetry with running interference so the gains get high for short to mid stints.

What I am trying to say is that its not unusual especially under the best circumstances that you miss sustained shots on a evasion scout. The idea that a hack could somehow up someones evasion seems difficult if not impossible to accomplish through some sort of code injection, I am not a programmer mind you but this seems unfeasible.

As to damage related issues, we have to know things like what ship, what components, what upgrades before we can understand the issue better. I will spare you the number but suffice to say TT and BO for scouts used alongside concentrated fire add a lot of damage when used together. If your ship has low upgrades, or components that don't mesh well you can die more quickly than you should.

If you are engaging a scout look for the telltale red glow of the buff and avoid them for the duration, these pilots will try to "heads up" with you but its a trap, don't do it. This is true most of the time, don't attack targets by flying straight at them head on. This is the single biggest mistake I see in new pilots, I will wait until my evasion cooldowns are up then joust with people and they almost always stay in the fight too long.

Anyways there is a lot to this game and not a single person I know and respect has seen a hack or hacker in this game. That is not proof tantamount but I can say we play on several servers, have seen many players, and have played thousands of matches between us. And literally not once have I ever seen anything that even resembles a hack.

With the way lag works, flying straight and level takes less resources than: turning, boosting, shooting, or being shot at. That being the case a player who lags, lags worse when there is more going on hence the warping when under attack. Use missiles on these people or ignore them, or report them if you insist on the hacking thing.

(A T2 strike can one shot with proton crits, HLC also has some mean damage and armor pen so yes they can dish it out too - I use one shot loosely as often I have shield damage I am not aware of)

Edited by DamascusAdontise

I've seen ships that I'm chasing literally flicker (disappear momentarily), sometimes they jump around in different places, and other times completely disappear from view/radar.

I was chasing a bomber in a match this morning and was within 5km from it when it completely disappeared then reappeared 20km away 3 seconds later. It couldn't have been attributed to lag, because it was only the one ship that "warped" away, none of the other ships, and I could see at least a half dozen, did anything strange. Just the bomber I was chasing.

A lot of discussions about lag, ability use, different situations, etc... I have no problems with this :cool:

I created this thread for the express purpose of a wake-up call to BW developers, the players AND to anyone who would use/try to use a hack, that we the players of SWTOR will not stand for it (Well, i will not :D)

It is always an on-going battle vs Hacks / Hackers in any game and we the players (Again, at least me) have our eyes out for stuff like that. Keep fighting the good fight!

I've seen ships that I'm chasing literally flicker (disappear momentarily), sometimes they jump around in different places, and other times completely disappear from view/radar.

I was chasing a bomber in a match this morning and was within 5km from it when it completely disappeared then reappeared 20km away 3 seconds later. It couldn't have been attributed to lag, because it was only the one ship that "warped" away, none of the other ships, and I could see at least a half dozen, did anything strange. Just the bomber I was chasing.

I think we've all seen this flickering/jittering behavior. I probably see it once a day. But every single time, it seems to be a bomber. Or at least, the vast majority of the time.

I make a point of going bomber-hunting at the start of every domination match (@BD: you may have noticed this yourself, lol), and I can't tell you has many times I've seen that jittering as the guy plods his way towards a satellite. It makes targeting tricky, yes, but I don't think it's an intentional hack or cheat. I can't fathom an explanation, but for whatever reason, I think it just has something to do with the bomber ship class.

I see a lot of weird stuff and they tend to fall into two categories.

Lag Related:

Rubber banding - flickering

Target warps 20k+ away (out of target range)

Dead lead indicator (indicator freezes and ship will typically flicker a bit, makes it tough to hit them with anything but missiles)

Missiles connecting after breaks

Getting killed well after an engagement by lasers or missiles (this can happen legit, but also through lag)

Weird Missile Behavior:

Losing missile lock (where the target did not use an ability, and the target was kept near dead center)

Missile lock flickers quickly (this happens to people locking me sometimes, I dont know if my feathering boost is constantly putting people into and out of range while they are locking or if its aberrant behavior.

Missiles not firing with full tone lock

I have experienced all of these in many matches. Not sure what the missile stuff is about, but I hear gripes about this occasionally from other people.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump. I'm wondering if anyone has been noticing more of this weirdness recently. I've gotten some reports from other players in game that it's happening more frequently.

I kinda always thought these issues were attributable to lag, but I'm becoming less and less sure of that. Or perhaps that lag is being intentionally manipulated.

Vast majority of players do not cheat. Those that do seem to be doing a thing where they generate a bit of lag temporarily. Super hard for Bioware to act on that- unlike more aggressive actual hacks, that sort of stuff isn't going to leave a good signature.

Note that ALMOST ALL LAGGERS ARE NOT CHEATING. Ex: Umbra-shiv, on Bastion, has tons of people think he's cheating, because he lags all over the map. But he plays from satellite, and actually has a really hard time GSFing, even though he is wildly hard to hit. He's no cheater! I've played from hotels before and it's super hard to do anything useful, but people tell me I'm some cheater then too. "You boosted across the map!" "Actually I got into some almost DC-ed state, so I boosted across the map for zero energy cost twice, waiting for it to play catchup, while every enemy ship tumbled through space, utterly unhittable. Then it did catch up and I died instantly, who knows to what?"

It's very easy to judge someone who lags at JUST the right moment, but is otherwise on a great connection, but even that is much more likely to be random.

But there will always be bad eggs, and it will just take Bioware awhile to hard boil them. But it is not a major thing- yet.

I was generally in favor of dire measures versus cheaters until I heard of a girl who got her boyfriend permabanned from WoW by going on to his account mid day and playing Warsong Gulch with a teleport hack. The hack was trivial to detect via warden, the reports came in, he lost his whole account that way.

But there still needs to be serious penalties, up to and including account closure. IMO this is the sort of thing EA should be providing funding for, not making Bioware hunt down hard to find laggers. The cilent-server nature definitely hurts us here.

The biggest thing I see is this: the VERY few players I actually suspect of cheating to any degree are not actually good players.

Bump. I'm wondering if anyone has been noticing more of this weirdness recently. I've gotten some reports from other players in game that it's happening more frequently.

I kinda always thought these issues were attributable to lag, but I'm becoming less and less sure of that. Or perhaps that lag is being intentionally manipulated.

I have noticed same thing, it seems that number of lagging players rised.

I sometimes wonder why someone with heavy lag is even playing. It must be badly playable for him/her and it is quite annoying also for other players. Trying to shot down such "jumper" can takes a lot of time. And it is not possible to leave lagger alone, because can still manage to shoot at you or trying to capture satelite.

The biggest thing I see is this: the VERY few players I actually suspect of cheating to any degree are not actually good players.

...see, normally I'd say I've experienced precisely the same thing...the suspects (or, let's say, the periodic/inconsistent laggers) generally do not do very well. But there's one player we're watching on our server (who shall not be named) that I actually consider to be one of the better scout pilots around. It's odd.

I'm not really sure what we can do about it, because as you said, this has got to be extremely difficult for BW to track. Maybe if enough folks take note of the same alleged perpetrator, BW will at least start to pay attention. Maybe?

I sometimes wonder why someone with heavy lag is even playing. It must be badly playable for him/her and it is quite annoying also for other players. Trying to shot down such "jumper" can takes a lot of time. And it is not possible to leave lagger alone, because can still manage to shoot at you or trying to capture satelite.

I can answer that. I have bad connection it has always been like that. It may work for months without any problems, but then it starts again. I think it gets worse during the summer. I do regret playing gsf sometimes, but I do enjoy it enough to come back and try regardless. For while it has been pretty much only reason I even log in for.

I hate disconnecting 10 minutes in from winning match or even losing one since there is no rewards at all no matter how hard you tried just 1 more match lost to your record I think. During last weekend I played enough to get about 80k ship req with around 50:50 win rate, I disconnected from around 5-10 matches. Another "fun" aspect is that usually if it's balanced and fun match I disconnect from I get something really unbalanced in return.

My lag doesn't always lead to disconnects, but I can tell you that lagging no matter how little isn't in anyway enjoyable even if it has saved me from death. It may have saved me, but it has also caused me to run into asteroids/satellites/other objects numerous times. Pretty much every time I start lagging while under fire I do think that I would have had better chance to get away alive if it hadn't lagged. Today was actually first good day with very minimal lag in long time and I was able to be useful even with gunship.

but that's just me. I don't know how it looks to other people when I start lagging other than fidgeting ship so I don't know if it's weirdness described in this thread, but I belive most of it is lag related. I haven't really noticed anything that would make me suspect cheating on my server.

I can offer another explanation to this: school is out, the number of players will increase (or decrease, depending on what they do for vacation) so there will be some that think lag switches or finding hacks for GSF will be fun to do. :(

Or it could just be a problem server side that BW is not telling us. Either way, i will keep an eye out (and others also).

Always hard to tell if its a hack or just good piloting. That is why i keep judgement to myself and that i want to keep flying against those that get my attention before i cry fowl.

I've seen plenty of odd behavior, but nothing that makes me scream HAX.

I'm generally on a ~250+ ping and GSF is eminently playable at that kind of latency (although obviously lower is better).

As for Missiles, especially the Thermite Torpedo (much more so than Protorps for some reason), I'm putting a lot of the oddness (and I get many, many misfires) down to desynch between my client and the server.

I was generally in favor of dire measures versus cheaters until I heard of a girl who got her boyfriend permabanned from WoW by going on to his account mid day and playing Warsong Gulch with a teleport hack. The hack was trivial to detect via warden, the reports came in, he lost his whole account that way.

All I can say is: tough cookies.

If game companies start accepting "but my kid brother loaded the hack not me" kind of excuses than anti-hack measures are useless.

IMHO: you get caught hacking in an online game, you lose your account for that first offence.

No excuses. No whinging.

You wish to continue playing? Start afresh with a new account.

End Of Story.

OT: some years ago a friend of mine was running an FPS server (FC2? CS? i can't recall). He had a very simple way of dealing with hackers. He simply gave every other player on the server whatever hacks the hacker was using and gave all the legit players 99% damage reduction then plastered a giant, glowing pink skull atop the hackers head so EVERYONE could see exactly where they were from anywhere on the map.

Once said hacker realised he was A: getting ganged up on and B: had zero advantage thanks to hax they generally left the server. He actually banzorzed very few people from that server, hackers either went elsewhere to another server, or cast aside their hacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

To keep this thread alive for any weird stuff going on...

I have had an odd thing happen to me: when i fly against a certain pilot on rep side (JC), my latency goes out the window... when i fly without that pilot in the match, my latency is just fine (usually between 30 and 40 ms). It has happened on every occasion that this particular pilot is in the match. Weird or what? :confused:

Bump.

To keep this thread alive for any weird stuff going on...

I have had an odd thing happen to me: when i fly against a certain pilot on rep side (JC), my latency goes out the window... when i fly without that pilot in the match, my latency is just fine (usually between 30 and 40 ms). It has happened on every occasion that this particular pilot is in the match. Weird or what? :confused:

There is no way another person can cause you to experience high latency.

There is no way another person can cause you to experience high latency.

Sure they can. All they have to do is start streaming HD video (or other high bandwidth) content while using the same crappy wifi hub that you're using.

Of course, if that's the case, they're probably close enough to hear you when you yell at them for doing it.

Edit: Did read all the 'suspicious' goings on reported in this thread since the last time I posted in it. Still nothing so far that isn't a typical symptom of very high client-server latency. I have seen deliberate latency (there are various ways to make your internet connection less than ideal for GSF on demand) but in a lot of ways 'defensive lag' is its own punishment. If you know how it handicaps the other person, you can get a lot of free kills off of them.

Edited by Ramalina

I've played with and against you ( Battledress ) in GSF. I have at least 2 to 16 toons on every english speaking server NA and EU. I've played thousands of GSF matches. I'm not a ace but I do ok against ok pilots. I stop playing Jedi covenant due to low queue pops and I mostly play on Harbinger now.

I've noticed some of the things you have commented on with instance kills and such. I believe its due to different builds of ships and pilot skills. I have come up against two pilots on Harbinger that seems to have the ability to instance kill or are indestructible but I do not believe they are cheating.

I remember a match I played against you on Jedi Covenant and my team lost something like 50-4 or 6 I really don't remember for sure. I solo killed you several times in that match with a stock ship with maybe one or two upgrades on it. If I remember correctly you were the only pilot that died on your team. You came unglued and accused me of running a lag switch and camping on a spawn point. You even threaten me by telling me that you would post my toon name as a bad pilot and that I cheated. Well I switched toons after that match and was queued in on your team several matches later. You actually praised me for my piloting skills under my different toon name but I noticed you were camping and lagging (no I don't believe you were cheating but then again...). I noticed ever time you had a bad match you would comment on cheating in chat. I started chatting with other pilots at the time and they noticed the same thing about you. This all happen about 3-4 months ago and I laughed when I saw this post and the part you consider yourself an ace. You are good but you are no ace and if you were.....well you would fly on Ebon Hawk, Harbinger, Bastion or POT5 but if you're on these servers well good for you. I liked the pilots on the JC server like Sithace, Zuckerhorn and several others but unfortunately JC queue pops suck otherwise I would still be there. Trust me I was humbled when I started flying on Harbinger and Bastion and please don't blame others of cheating because they are better or lucky.

You might remember a few of these Battledress

Call signs are as follows,

J'zen, (Pub) JC- On Harbinger now as Ka'Boom.

Solless, (Imp) JC- now on Harbinger.

Volaraa, (Pub) JC- now on Harbinger.

Laich, (Imp) JC - now on Bastion.

Olantris, (Pub) JC- still there but will be transferring soon to Bastion once I have the funds.

Siaga, (Imp) JC- still there but will be transferring soon to POT5 once I have the funds.

Spawnkiller, (Imp) JC- still there. He was my very first toon when SWTOR launched and I will keep him on JC.

Hanbil, (Pub) JC- This is the one you threaten.

I originally had 16 toons on JC.

Haven't been on JC since March or April but I might fly a few matches there in the next week or so. :eek:

Have a nice day Battledress. :D

I've played with and against you ( Battledress ) in GSF. I have at least 2 to 16 toons on every english speaking server NA and EU. I've played thousands of GSF matches. I'm not a ace but I do ok against ok pilots. I stop playing Jedi covenant due to low queue pops and I mostly play on Harbinger now.

I've noticed some of the things you have commented on with instance kills and such. I believe its due to different builds of ships and pilot skills. I have come up against two pilots on Harbinger that seems to have the ability to instance kill or are indestructible but I do not believe they are cheating.

I remember a match I played against you on Jedi Covenant and my team lost something like 50-4 or 6 I really don't remember for sure. I solo killed you several times in that match with a stock ship with maybe one or two upgrades on it. If I remember correctly you were the only pilot that died on your team. You came unglued and accused me of running a lag switch and camping on a spawn point. You even threaten me by telling me that you would post my toon name as a bad pilot and that I cheated. Well I switched toons after that match and was queued in on your team several matches later. You actually praised me for my piloting skills under my different toon name but I noticed you were camping and lagging (no I don't believe you were cheating but then again...). I noticed ever time you had a bad match you would comment on cheating in chat. I started chatting with other pilots at the time and they noticed the same thing about you. This all happen about 3-4 months ago and I laughed when I saw this post and the part you consider yourself an ace. You are good but you are no ace and if you were.....well you would fly on Ebon Hawk, Harbinger, Bastion or POT5 but if you're on these servers well good for you. I liked the pilots on the JC server like Sithace, Zuckerhorn and several others but unfortunately JC queue pops suck otherwise I would still be there. Trust me I was humbled when I started flying on Harbinger and Bastion and please don't blame others of cheating because they are better or lucky.

You might remember a few of these Battledress

Call signs are as follows,

J'zen, (Pub) JC- On Harbinger now as Ka'Boom.

Solless, (Imp) JC- now on Harbinger.

Volaraa, (Pub) JC- now on Harbinger.

Laich, (Imp) JC - now on Bastion.

Olantris, (Pub) JC- still there but will be transferring soon to Bastion once I have the funds.

Siaga, (Imp) JC- still there but will be transferring soon to POT5 once I have the funds.

Spawnkiller, (Imp) JC- still there. He was my very first toon when SWTOR launched and I will keep him on JC.

Hanbil, (Pub) JC- This is the one you threaten.

I originally had 16 toons on JC.

Haven't been on JC since March or April but I might fly a few matches there in the next week or so. :eek:

Have a nice day Battledress. :D

PS: If you do not have anything of value to contribute to this thread and just want to troll, DÉCOLLISSE / GET THE F'IN OUT

Nuff said

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Jason_baker's post was one of the most (if not only) valuable posts in this necro-ed thread of pathetic paranoia and excusemaking.

Half the "reports" in this thread are simply people not understanding how the game works. "I was flying behind a bomber and suddenly a mine blew me up! Hacks!" Seriously? At this point, who doesn't watch for the big floating name that tells you who has damage overcharge? (I've been accused of hacking several times after dipsticks decide to head-to-head me while I have one). Did you really not know that you can hit someone without targeting them?

Every single other "hack" is exactly what you'd expect to see from either you or the other player lagging. Have you really followed a ship around without targeting them or shooting at them to determine that they "only" lag when you're shooting, or do you only notice that they're lagging when you're shooting because it's the only time you notice them period?

It's possible they have a second computer on their network with hd video or something queued that they start up when they're under attack to induce lag.. but if that is happening, what could bioware possibly do about it?

I too have been playing GSF on JC since last December and not once have I witnessed anything that made me suspect hacking. I've seen a lot of creative builds that can do things I didn't expect. I've fought a lot of pilots better than me. But not once have I been unable to figure out how they beat me well within the rules established by the game.

This is a thread solely for paranoid whining and trying to pretend like anyone other than yourself is responsible for your failures. If someone destroys you, own up and get better.

Edited by Buggleslor

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Jason_baker's post was one of the most (if not only) valuable posts in this necro-ed thread of pathetic paranoia and excusemaking.

Half the "reports" in this thread are simply people not understanding how the game works. "I was flying behind a bomber and suddenly a mine blew me up! Hacks!" Seriously? At this point, who doesn't watch for the big floating name that tells you who has damage overcharge? (I've been accused of hacking several times after dipsticks decide to head-to-head me while I have one). Did you really not know that you can hit someone without targeting them?

Every single other "hack" is exactly what you'd expect to see from either you or the other player lagging. Have you really followed a ship around without targeting them or shooting at them to determine that they "only" lag when you're shooting, or do you only notice that they're lagging when you're shooting because it's the only time you notice them period?

It's possible they have a second computer on their network with hd video or something queued that they start up when they're under attack to induce lag.. but if that is happening, what could bioware possibly do about it?

I too have been playing GSF on JC since last December and not once have I witnessed anything that made me suspect hacking. I've seen a lot of creative builds that can do things I didn't expect. I've fought a lot of pilots better than me. But not once have I been unable to figure out how they beat me well within the rules established by the game.

This is a thread solely for paranoid whining and trying to pretend like anyone other than yourself is responsible for your failures. If someone destroys you, own up and get better.

How many times am i gonna have to do this?

PS: If you do not have anything of value to contribute to this thread and just want to troll, DÉCOLLISSE / GET THE F'IN OUT

How many times am i gonna have to do this?

YOU DONT GET TO CHOSE WHAT PEOPLE SAY IN ANY THREAD! Freedom of Speech applies to the internet bud. This is a FORUM, where as long as the TOS isn't violated, anyone can say anything they desire

YOU DONT GET TO CHOSE WHAT PEOPLE SAY IN ANY THREAD! Freedom of Speech applies to the internet bud. This is a FORUM, where as long as the TOS isn't violated, anyone can say anything they desire

Thank you captain obvious. Are they contributing? Are they trolling?

It does not matter if i got shot down by anybody. If anybody does it on a regular basis, good for you. It does not matter if anybody has never seen a hack. It does not exclude the fact that they CAN exist.

This thread is to report ANYTHING you notice that MIGHT be something weird. If you are hear to tell me i suck and that you shoot me down on a regular basis, its not contributing. Its trolling.

Edit: The internet, gotta love it sometimes...

Edited by BattleDress