idea: open world pvp bounty quest

Sangrar

so my idea is a daily quest that will primarily be for the benefit of pvp servers but also can benefit for whoever flags themselves for open world pvp on pve server. Basically, the idea is simple. You have to kill x amount of players a day in open world, x number a week. And to prevent abuse you have to be within 5 levels of the person you kill Lastly the quest is available to anyone level 24 and up (because at 24 you go to Tatooine, the first real planet for open world stuff). warzone and area kills won't count so you got to do it in open world. What do you guys think?

edit: in addition, when you kill a player, both players get a buff that will not allow either of them to benefit from killing eachother again for 10-20 minutes, thereby eliminating any potential "kill trading".

Edited by Sangrar

/end.. really? Think a lil' lol .... howww abouttt you must go +x on k/d to finish the quest :)

That's just one work around and I am sure there are plenty of better ones.

thank you, I just want this to at least give pvpers a bit more of an option in terms of open world, and this would work perfectly on pvp servers, guys already fight on Tatooine all the time as it is, might as well add some extra incentive there.

One of the finest moments in Star Wars Galaxies was the chance for Bounty Hunters to actually Hunt. Unlike the generic crap we have here with 'Bounty contract week' where everyone can do this quest...but wait..its called 'Bounty Hunt'...

Personally, this should only be for Bounty Hunters. Don't like the idea, roll one.

Back to SWG - As a Bounty Hunter, a target (Jedi/Sith) if seen in a major space port would have their DNA placed on a Bounty terminal. The price would reflect how much of a challenge that target could be. The targets name was never seen but the faction was. Personally, I never hunted my own faction but others could.

Once your probe droids returned the target location(which could also be in space), you went off to try and kill them without being seen. Most Jedi were in groups grinding, and they kept a look out. Jedi also had a house near by to run off to if things got too hot.

For the poster who said about kill trading - never happened. The Hunter wanted his money and XP, the Jedi didnt want to lose their rankings. Battles were fun, the chase was brilliant and it was a total thrill. Much better than visiting generic NPC, stuffing drink down NPC...stupid slap fight - rush off to beacon in the middle of nowhere and without any relevance, summon target, have another slap fight...rinse and repeat until bored.

But SWTOR is too Carebear Sims esq to have anything like this now.

I think this could be good fun. Throw it on ilum. I just wish i didn't sit on the fleet all the time. It is kinda boring, i would rather sit on a planet where open world pvp can actually happen.

One of the finest moments in Star Wars Galaxies was the chance for Bounty Hunters to actually Hunt. Unlike the generic crap we have here with 'Bounty contract week' where everyone can do this quest...but wait..its called 'Bounty Hunt'...

Personally, this should only be for Bounty Hunters. Don't like the idea, roll one.

Back to SWG - As a Bounty Hunter, a target (Jedi/Sith) if seen in a major space port would have their DNA placed on a Bounty terminal. The price would reflect how much of a challenge that target could be. The targets name was never seen but the faction was. Personally, I never hunted my own faction but others could.

Once your probe droids returned the target location(which could also be in space), you went off to try and kill them without being seen. Most Jedi were in groups grinding, and they kept a look out. Jedi also had a house near by to run off to if things got too hot.

For the poster who said about kill trading - never happened. The Hunter wanted his money and XP, the Jedi didnt want to lose their rankings. Battles were fun, the chase was brilliant and it was a total thrill. Much better than visiting generic NPC, stuffing drink down NPC...stupid slap fight - rush off to beacon in the middle of nowhere and without any relevance, summon target, have another slap fight...rinse and repeat until bored.

I think this should be for any class. I am /signing for this thread. SWG was the first MMO I ever played. I had very little idea what the the heck I was doing, even less of an idea about PVP, but I messed around with the BH and although I never once killed my target, I still had SO much fun with it. Nothing can beat the thrill of tracking your pray across the galaxy; finally thinking you have located the planet they are on, only to land and discover that they left.

I think this should be for any class. I am /signing for this thread. SWG was the first MMO I ever played. I had very little idea what the the heck I was doing, even less of an idea about PVP, but I messed around with the BH and although I never once killed my target, I still had SO much fun with it. Nothing can beat the thrill of tracking your pray across the galaxy; finally thinking you have located the planet they are on, only to land and discover that they left.

I agree with this. This should be available to all classes. The goal of this idea is to give EVERYONE more options for pvp than just one person. I never played swg but still, I am not entirely sure hunting a specific target would work because, as you said, you would track them only to discover they left, and well, just imagine them going to fleet where you cannot reach them...

still though that is a very interesting concept, though honestly I am going mainly for simplicity right now, because the easier it is to implement, the better chance this has of being considered by the devs for implementation.

Due to kill trading issues, I don't think this idea is a good one.

Think a lil' lol .... howww abouttt you must go +x on k/d to finish the quest

That's just one work around and I am sure there are plenty of better ones.

:)

Edited by LeglessChair

I think that an easy way to implement something like this would be to give all players a "dogtag" every week as a start to the OWPVP quest. If you die in OWPVP you lose this tag (it would be lootable) and some of the ones you've collected from other players (by looting them once you defeat them). These tags could be turned in to a vendor for certificates and reputation items which would in turn allow the player to buy cool items.

The higher the "dogtag ELO" (associated with the original holder) the more certificates you would get to buy reputation items etc. This avoids kill trading because:

a) you basically have to go + on k/d to get dogtags with which to purchase certificates

b)I've noticed that high ELO players do not like dying in OWPVP, so kill "trading" scrubs would have to grind big time to cheat the system and it would not be a win-win.

Edited by LeglessChair

I never played swg but still, I am not entirely sure hunting a specific target would work because, as you said, you would track them only to discover they left, and well, just imagine them going to fleet where you cannot reach them...

To give you an idea of how it worked. Importantly, DNA was only provided for players currently online at the time. If they logged off, you could cancel the quest or keep it until they are back on.

Bounty Hunter(BH) - visits terminal and selects DNA to track.

BH then goes to open area and places DNA in to Probe droid, which flies off in to space.

Wait 5-10 mins for signal

Signal comes in that target is on Taris

You go to Taris.

The Hunt -

You release several smaller probes(like the ones Darth Maul used in Episode 1)

Wait a few minutes

They return with an exact location of target

You go there

(Now, because I hunted a lot, I knew certain areas well - cover, housing, guilds etc and was banned from many shuttle ports for killing their Jedi)

Using my BH abilities, I would launch surprise attack on Jedi and have full scale battle, or they may just force speed off. Back on mount and continue chase - catch up, throw net on Jedi to stop them - count fight - destroy their speeder so they cant escape etc etc.

Crowds gathered etc. Jedi dead, you claim reward, Jedi loses lots of Jedi XP.

-----------------------

I remember one day tracking a Jedi to a cave on Tatooine. There was only one way in and out. Waiting outside, I had a /tell or whisper ' Youre here for me, arent you?' - 'Yup' - Then he asked if he could finish his quest and it was a difficult one - I said ' either you come out, or I come in' - so in I went and killed him.

The reason why I dont see this working for other classes is because its a BOUNTY HUNTER quest. Otherwise you will have hundreds of players all tracking the same few targets. It worked extremely well (once they stopped gank hit squads forming).

And yes, Jedi could hide in their homes, or be out with their guild grinding and protected with look outs but thats what made it all FUN. And it damn was.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

Due to kill trading issues, I don't think this idea is a good one.

Yup, it's just kill trading. You have to make owpvp goals 0 sum games. I gain something, the player I kill loses something. It will still get exploited, but a lot less.

Yup, it's just kill trading. You have to make owpvp goals 0 sum games. I gain something, the player I kill loses something. It will still get exploited, but a lot less.

Never happened. The penalty was just too great for the Jedi to do that - it was like a skill tree worth of XP lost and any one who grinded a Jedi early days knew it was a long grind. Before that, it was perma death, so you actually lost your Jedi toon. But they changed that to the system mentioned.

Win trading only happens in games like this because the penalties are too small. Increase the penalty, you soon remove it

SWG must have been epic.

It was. I didn't mention that because SWG had PROPER space and space combat, if your target was on their ship - that was your target, so you actually had a space battle - epic or what?!

Edited by DarthMaulUK

I think that an easy way to implement something like this would be to give all players a "dogtag" every week as a start to the OWPVP quest. If you die in OWPVP you lose this tag (it would be lootable) and some of the ones you've collected from other players (by looting them once you defeat them). These tags could be turned in to a vendor for certificates and reputation items which would in turn allow the player to buy cool items.

The higher the "dogtag ELO" (associated with the original holder) the more certificates you would get to buy reputation items etc. This avoids kill trading because:

a) you basically have to go + on k/d to get dogtags with which to purchase certificates

b)I've noticed that high ELO players do not like dying in OWPVP, so kill "trading" scrubs would have to grind big time to cheat the system and it would not be a win-win.

This idea, or something similar might work. An easier system would be that if Player A killed Player B, neither A or B will get a reward from killing each other for some time. (Such as 10 minutes)

This idea, or something similar might work. An easier system would be that if Player A killed Player B, neither A or B will get a reward from killing each other for some time. (Such as 10 minutes)

yes this is a perfect solution. That way you can't kill the same guy 10 times in a row in a short time span, and that way there is not "kill trading" as SOME in this thread have suggested. Anyway, this I think is the best way to deal with any kill trading issue, no one is going to wait 10 minutes for each kill, 5 kills for the quest alone you would have to wait minimum 50 minutes, and there are so many more people on Tatooine who could be hunted down at that time

yes this is a perfect solution. That way you can't kill the same guy 10 times in a row in a short time span, and that way there is not "kill trading" as SOME in this thread have suggested. Anyway, this I think is the best way to deal with any kill trading issue, no one is going to wait 10 minutes for each kill, 5 kills for the quest alone you would have to wait minimum 50 minutes, and there are so many more people on Tatooine who could be hunted down at that time

Obviously you didn't partake in Ilum from the start of the game (PvP quests), otherwise you would know that even when they changed the way Valor was rewarded from kills (via the same way described about), it was still an issue. The system would still be easily exploitable, which is why it doesn't exist in your current suggested form. Would I be happy with PvP BH Quest? Sure, but I don't see a system like this going live due to that issue, and have yet to see anything that wouldn't stop the kill trading issue.

IMO the ONLY way I could see this work, is if the system offered NO rewards, other than maybe some titles. Any reward based system that requires "Open World" in TOR is simply futile. Heck, we got issues with PvP Teams farming ratings off each other in WZ's, so I doubt an "honor code or recourse on the same player" is going to pan out, lol. And yes, players will go above and beyond to exploit for rewards, plenty of proof from the start of the game to today. I'd be more supportive of this feature if SOMEONE could present a viable way to prevent kill trading.

Edited by Pistols

Obviously you didn't partake in Ilum from the start of the game (PvP quests), otherwise you would know that even when they changed the way Valor was rewarded from kills (via the same way described about), it was still an issue. The system would still be easily exploitable, which is why it doesn't exist in your current suggested form. Would I be happy with PvP BH Quest? Sure, but I don't see a system like this going live due to that issue, and have yet to see anything that wouldn't stop the kill trading issue.

IMO the ONLY way I could see this work, is if the system offered NO rewards, other than maybe some titles. Any reward based system that requires "Open World" in TOR is simply futile. Heck, we got issues with PvP Teams farming ratings off each other in WZ's, so I doubt an "honor code or recourse on the same player" is going to pan out, lol. And yes, players will go above and beyond to exploit for rewards, plenty of proof from the start of the game to today. I'd be more supportive of this feature if SOMEONE could present a viable way to prevent kill trading.

do you know any specific ways that was exploited? like examples would help, and either way what is wrong with someone that they would go through large amounts of effort just to exploit something?

Man, this brings back memories of my emergency generic house stored in my data pad for those pesky BH's...LOL

Once the Bounty Hunter killed their target, the Jedi was removed from the terminal for 7 days. Then after 7 days if he got his light saber out in a public area, he was back on it.

And to those who keep going on about and worrying about Kill Trading, SWG was not SWTOR. It didn't happen. The system wouldn't let it happen because you had zero idea who you were hunting. No names until you actually saw your target.

Despite their flaws SOE weren't carebear lovers like Bioware are here.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

Man, this brings back memories of my emergency generic house stored in my data pad for those pesky BH's...LOL

LOL yes. There were 2 Jedi who always ran like little chickens. Took me a month to kill one target because he kept running off to his generic house. The worst thing was, he purchased it from my shop!!!! lol