Ask me anything / Training

Drakkolich

How does one "pew pew" exactly? :D

The best way i know of, is to put rapid fire lasers on a sting/flashfire, get a frequency capacitor and blaster overcharge and shoot so fast it looks like a solid line of lasers.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by Drakkolich

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that you're in a guild on TEH called <VOIP Bomber Premade>. Is there a reason you chose such a name? What is your stance on VOIP? Do you like bombers? Do you engage in "premades" and if so, why? What motivates you to commit such heinous crimes? Edited by TrinityLyre

I noticed that you're in a guild on TEH called <VOIP Bomber Premade>. Is there a reason you chose such a name? What is your stance on VOIP? Do you like bombers? Do you engage in "premades" and if so, why? What motivates you to commit such heinous crimes?

More than likely just a witty guild name created to insight rage and/or tears on the opposition they are currently smashing. De-moralize their enemy and make them lose concentration.

Anyway i have a question to the OP regarding anti-bomber tactics in a specific situation. I, like everyone else believe that not only are some bomber builds OP (dual mine razorwire etc) but they also require the least amount of skill to be effective. Don't get me wrong as i do like their inclusion in the game and at times i use them myself (especially on domination games where i notice my team only has one other played using one). After flying them myself for a while i have learned some of their weaknesses and how to counter them effectively in many situations

However, the specific situation i am talking about is the kuat drive yards map, specifically the B node with its tight environmental confines. Dislodging a bomber which is circling underneath laying mines for any would be predators seems next to impossible and like mentioned throughout this forum the only truly effective counter is another bomber.

In any other situation / map the nodes have wide open space around them (this could be a tip for any new comers or people struggling with this) and what i usually do is fly down underneath and turn to face it. From there i am effectively heading towards the 'bottom' or under belly of the node but at a straight angle, 90 degrees from the side which is where the bomber is expecting an attack from. From this vantage point all the bomber will be is a slow moving circle on your screen and with the element of surprise you can either kill it, make it crash or dislodge it into the open.

So, the problem is on B i find this next to impossible so i need to adapt to this specific situation as i hate having to just leave it alone and instead go and try face 7 opponents at A or C.

TL;DR On kuat drive yards B node, dual mine bomber almost impossible to fight. tactics?

More than likely just a witty guild name created to insight rage and/or tears on the opposition they are currently smashing. De-moralize their enemy and make them lose concentration.

Anyway i have a question to the OP regarding anti-bomber tactics in a specific situation. I, like everyone else believe that not only are some bomber builds OP (dual mine razorwire etc) but they also require the least amount of skill to be effective. Don't get me wrong as i do like their inclusion in the game and at times i use them myself (especially on domination games where i notice my team only has one other played using one). After flying them myself for a while i have learned some of their weaknesses and how to counter them effectively in many situations

However, the specific situation i am talking about is the kuat drive yards map, specifically the B node with its tight environmental confines. Dislodging a bomber which is circling underneath laying mines for any would be predators seems next to impossible and like mentioned throughout this forum the only truly effective counter is another bomber.

In any other situation / map the nodes have wide open space around them (this could be a tip for any new comers or people struggling with this) and what i usually do is fly down underneath and turn to face it. From there i am effectively heading towards the 'bottom' or under belly of the node but at a straight angle, 90 degrees from the side which is where the bomber is expecting an attack from. From this vantage point all the bomber will be is a slow moving circle on your screen and with the element of surprise you can either kill it, make it crash or dislodge it into the open.

So, the problem is on B i find this next to impossible so i need to adapt to this specific situation as i hate having to just leave it alone and instead go and try face 7 opponents at A or C.

TL;DR On kuat drive yards B node, dual mine bomber almost impossible to fight. tactics?

1) Kuat Drive Yards is a Flashpoint name, Kuat Mesas is what you're talking about ;)

2) If you're on a Strike Fighter, bring a gunsheep buddy with you and protect him while he ions down everything the bombers drops (if a bomber is hiding his stuff under a sat, no worries, he can always shoot the turrets). When your buddy is done, move in and destroy the bomber. If the bomber has some dogfighting backup, bring your own cattlescouts to entertain them while you destroy the bomber.

In regards to a PuG setting, regardless of the game (SWToR or any other) i can kill anything and everything with a premade and VOIP. For this reason i use neither.

I generally fly underneath the node and hit them from there with lasers. If you don't lock missles on them usually they are dumb enough to sit and eat your lasers until death.

The question as i understand it is "How do I kill bombers at B in kuat mesas?"

The easiest way to kill bombers is to pincer them, you can't just go on the node and murder them like anything else because bombers own a space and you arn't aloud in it unless you run a lot of damage reduction. You can make an anti build on a ship with a ton of damage reduction so that you can go clear mines for your team and be there killing them but I don't think thats what you're asking for here.

To pincer them just go underneath the node at B and look up you have a perfect view of the entire bottom of the node, at this point or anytime before type in ops chat "I need someone on top of B ill push the bombers to you". You may need to spam it a bit, from here just attack any bomber you see to push them to line of sight you. That way your teammate on top of the node will be able to kill them and you just push them back and forth like that. If you have more players available pincer from more angles.

Some things to remember, if you kill a mine it explodes and does its damage, just because you got to 3000 range and killed a seismic before you reached its proximity range of 1500/2000 doesn't mean you arn't going to take the damage since its radius is 3000/3500. Bombers can also detonate the mines themselves so just cause your line of sighting his current mines doesn't mean you won't get hit.

Essentially it will always take 2 people to peel a node if a bomber is on it, that is their power. If there are multiple bombers its the same thing, if they are using hyperspace beacons you need to kill those as fast as possible. Once you actually take the node, killing the bombers enroute back is super important. Try to have someone dedicated to watching their spawn for bombers and killing them.

I hope that answers your question if not just ask again :)

Pretty basic question... how in the heck do you get over the MASSIVE "gear gap" facing new pilots? I've just returned to the game after a year away, so I'm basically in a nub ship with no upgrades. Pretty much doesn't matter when I play GSF, I'm facing people who have pretty much all the ships and all the major upgrades, to the point where I'm dead before I even get close enough to use a weapon against them.

Yes, I get the "thanks for trying" pittance for each and every loss, but I'm getting close to the point of walking away in total frustration because a minigame that SEEMS like it's terrific fun, is just really, really, REALLY un-fun at this point. Am I missing an option to queue against other newer players or something, or is it the intention of the match up system that "senior" / "seasoned" / fully upgraded players & ships are supposed to play against people in the basic newbie ship?

...trying REALLY hard not to let the frustration boil over, but man, this just seems like they screwed the pooch completely on the matchup system or something. :(

Can you explain to me the need for the evasion mechanic?

I am not intending it as a QQ question, just that it seems to be extraneous to me to have any class (and especially the scout) be able to simply avoid a base percentage of shots whether moving or not, in addition to an accuracy rating of less than 100%. I don't see why people who are sitting still are not hit 100% of the time, and how distortion field allows scouts to "joust" and win when I would expect them to be a "hit and run" class.

I do mainly play as a gunship (gunsheep, if you care to call it that). It frustrates me immensely to line up a shot and have the shot "disappear" even though it was spot on and the target wasn't even moving. It's like having a sniper rifle that doesn't have any rifling in the barrel. It is even more frustrating to have a scout fly at me head on with their distortion field up knowing that I cannot kill them even though they are charging directly down the barrel of my gun (which is my one lone strength ostensibly) and now I have to run until their field is down. At this point they have my back, as it were, and my gun is pointed away as I flee their short range cannons, either at their mercy as they slowly run me down or waiting for a teammate to peel them away from me. Is an evasion / distortion build the only viable counter at the moment?

When I play as a scout it seems too easy, I can run away from groups of enemies or pick off anyone on their own.

OK, so maybe I did veer into QQ territory a bit there, but the original question remains... can you explain to me in relatively noob terms why an evasion mechanic is needed, and are there any good counters to it besides learning the maps and queueing with a group?

Can you explain to me the need for the evasion mechanic?

Drako isn't here this weekend, but please try to ask questions he can actually help you with. Drako is an ace, not a game designer. If this game didn't have evasion, he'd still play it, and be good at it, as would most or all of us.

I am not intending it as a QQ question

It is ONLY a QQ question. It is meaningless as well. If you want the answer: By adding a hit table, they were able to create a different method of defense, one that is "all or nothing", which is fundamentally interesting. It injects RNG into a situation that would otherwise be static, and that can make for exciting (or frustrating) moments. I had a game earlier where my disto shield got railgunned through disto seven times in a row, whereas every shot that I made into a disto got dodged (many of these shots had wingman active). The odds of this? Ludic small.

What this does is dial back what is going on, and your connection to it. Some of it is out of your control- some of it is in the hands of the character you are playing. It's an RPG!

The game would be fine without this, but I think it's overall good. If you walked in expecting it to be fully deterministic, then you'll get very frustrated.

I don't see why people who are sitting still are not hit 100% of the time, and how distortion field allows scouts to "joust" and win when I would expect them to be a "hit and run" class.

It's because there's several ways to defend yourself. One of them is hit chance.

I do mainly play as a gunship (gunsheep, if you care to call it that). It frustrates me immensely to line up a shot and have the shot "disappear" even though it was spot on and the target wasn't even moving.

It is fair to be frustrated, but understand that skill only takes you so far. Misses and crits are on the combat table, for sure.

But, much more importantly, Drako can't help you with this. Nor can he explain "why it is necessary"... so, I guess, you can argue with him. It isn't necessary. But it is, to me, fun. If they removed it and turned it into something fully deterministic, I'd probably like that too.

But don't crap this thread up with QQ. It's a good thread.

OK, so maybe I did veer into QQ territory a bit there, but the original question remains... can you explain to me in relatively noob terms why an evasion mechanic is needed, and are there any good counters to it besides learning the maps and queueing with a group?

Counters to evasion are:

> Ensure you ONLY go into battle with a 6% accuracy offensive crewman. This is super mandatory.

> While you are charging your railgun on a target that isn't likely to be dead center of your scope, whip your mouse in that direction, overshooting them, so that your ship turns (yaw is faster than pitch). This is easier if you are zoomed out fully, which you should be in the habit of doing the moment you enter scope mode, and as your charge reaches full, move the cursor back for the snipe. This greatly reduces the chance of your shot missing, as you won't be gaining any accuracy debuff for them not being precisely on target.

> Ensure you are using ion or slug, and that you have the 3% accuracy and tracking talent (this is a choice on slug, and you always pick it). You can't get this on plasma, and it results in a ludicrous number of misses.

> Just as you are about to fire your shot at a scout, press 4, and have that be "wingman". This ability gives you a 20% accuarcy boost- quite a lot. You can fire several shots under the effects of "wingman", and your odds of connection go way up.

> When you have ion aoe, switch to ion and hit an adjacent ship, dealing some damage to an evasive target.

With all this, you'll still miss, and you'll still get hit through disto. Part of the game is not under your control. The scout that builds for full evasion gets wrecked by mines (he colud have taken 30% less damage from mines, but instead he chose to have a chance to avoid your shot). Remember he gave something up to have that dodge chance.

Pretty basic question... how in the heck do you get over the MASSIVE "gear gap" facing new pilots? I've just returned to the game after a year away, so I'm basically in a nub ship with no upgrades. Pretty much doesn't matter when I play GSF, I'm facing people who have pretty much all the ships and all the major upgrades, to the point where I'm dead before I even get close enough to use a weapon against them.

Yes, I get the "thanks for trying" pittance for each and every loss, but I'm getting close to the point of walking away in total frustration because a minigame that SEEMS like it's terrific fun, is just really, really, REALLY un-fun at this point. Am I missing an option to queue against other newer players or something, or is it the intention of the match up system that "senior" / "seasoned" / fully upgraded players & ships are supposed to play against people in the basic newbie ship?

...trying REALLY hard not to let the frustration boil over, but man, this just seems like they screwed the pooch completely on the matchup system or something. :(

You are making a mistake a lot of new people do which is to assume that upgrades is the reason for your lack of success. It is experience that is the major factor in your lack of success. Most of these people that are killing you with ease would still fly circles around you and blow you up in non-upgraded ships. This is a very experience/skill driven game.

I do understand that - I used to fly all the time in SWG and other flight sims, and I recognize that I'm still early in the skill ramp up in terms of learning new controls and all (I wish I could use my joystick vs the keyboard and mouse). It is HIGHLY demoralizing, however, to know that I'm getting nuked by someone at distances that I can't even target them with any weapon available to me as of yet.

So yes, I recognize that skill (familiarity) with the controls system will play a factor, but do you really think that it makes sense to match experienced pilots against "newbies" with none of the same gear / upgrades? Virtually every other PVP / flight game I've played that wasn't just open world PvP matched up in brackets based on skill or level...?

So yes, I recognize that skill (familiarity) with the controls system will play a factor, but do you really think that it makes sense to match experienced pilots against "newbies" with none of the same gear / upgrades? Virtually every other PVP / flight game I've played that wasn't just open world PvP matched up in brackets based on skill or level...?

There is no ranking system of pilots for GSF. Good pilots can roll in stock ships and do perfectly well. Whereas bad pilots with lots of ships can do really poorly. It's a horrible situation that there is no way to rank a pilot, but even if they could there is not enough of a population base in GSF for pilots to be matched with others of the same skill level. Such is the life of GSF. Someone will always be better or some team will always have the advantage.

Edited by phoenixjon

I see two question were asked while I was away, thanks to those who answered. :)

Evasion is in the game to counter some weapons really well, just like damage reduction counters others really well.

For example evasion hard counters: railguns and blasters, but does absolutly nothing vs mines and missiles. Where as damage reduction hard counters: Mines and all other weapons without armor penetration.

Since you said you play mostly gunship it would make sense that evasion is the most frustrating stat for you to deal with, considering that slug railgun has both shield penetration and armor penetration, evasion is really the only defensive stat that affects you at all. As for a scouts jousting ability its very cooldown based which kinda makes it hit and run, but I agree they are too good in head to heads vs strike fighters atm. I hope that is the kind of answer you were looking for.

How to handle veteran players when your brand new to the game and have 0 upgrades or experience, I'm not really sure how to answer this. When I started i just went out there and flew every game trying to get a higher hit %, and learn how use the maps to my advantage. Make some friends, ask for advice and try to learn something from every loss or death. If you're looking for more information you should check out stasie's guide on these forums lots of good info there.

Hope that helps guys. :)

The question as i understand it is "How do I kill bombers at B in kuat mesas?"

The easiest way to kill bombers is to pincer them, you can't just go on the node and murder them like anything else because bombers own a space and you arn't aloud in it unless you run a lot of damage reduction. You can make an anti build on a ship with a ton of damage reduction so that you can go clear mines for your team and be there killing them but I don't think thats what you're asking for here.

To pincer them just go underneath the node at B and look up you have a perfect view of the entire bottom of the node, at this point or anytime before type in ops chat "I need someone on top of B ill push the bombers to you". You may need to spam it a bit, from here just attack any bomber you see to push them to line of sight you. That way your teammate on top of the node will be able to kill them and you just push them back and forth like that. If you have more players available pincer from more angles.

Some things to remember, if you kill a mine it explodes and does its damage, just because you got to 3000 range and killed a seismic before you reached its proximity range of 1500/2000 doesn't mean you arn't going to take the damage since its radius is 3000/3500. Bombers can also detonate the mines themselves so just cause your line of sighting his current mines doesn't mean you won't get hit.

Essentially it will always take 2 people to peel a node if a bomber is on it, that is their power. If there are multiple bombers its the same thing, if they are using hyperspace beacons you need to kill those as fast as possible. Once you actually take the node, killing the bombers enroute back is super important. Try to have someone dedicated to watching their spawn for bombers and killing them.

I hope that answers your question if not just ask again :)

That kills a lone bomber, but the thing y'all do with like 4 one a single node is freaking difficult to deal with because y'all regain HP through respawn alone faster than we can slug it down, at least once you're on the node and can avoid some fraction of the shots.

Kuat's design really makes this worse, because bombers have such an easier time transferring between nodes.

That kills a lone bomber, but the thing y'all do with like 4 one a single node is freaking difficult to deal with because y'all regain HP through respawn alone faster than we can slug it down, at least once you're on the node and can avoid some fraction of the shots.

Kuat's design really makes this worse, because bombers have such an easier time transferring between nodes.

I agree with the fact that killing multiple bombers before approaching node B on KM is a nightmare - even when it's us two blasting away, we just do not have the TTK necessary to take down a group of bombers before they get to the node (and I think we're pretty decent at blasting giant targets). It may just be a case of us doing it wrong though..? Scouts and strikes can dispense with bombers quite quickly, at least 1. It'd make sense that we'd need 1 person per bomber when they're stacking, but how to get them before they get to the node.... Focusing one at a time would be helpful too, because even if one gets there, it's still less than it could be, but that still leaves more bombers.

I'm kinda stumped with what to do with u guys in a domination match on KM - those bombers are ridiculously time consuming for GSs, which makes me think that GS + strikes / scouts would be better than multiple GSs when dealing with this... Then again, on Kuat @ B, they arrive before we can get to them... Hmmmmm.

I don't wanna derail a ' vs bomber' thread, but I just wanted some advice. I fly mainly scouts, and in Dom matches almost always arrive at a node well before the enemy. - Usually enough to seize it before anyone else arrives. I build for speed and evasion, as my shooting isn't my strongest suit. - In gen chat I almost always ask for backup at the node, but it rarely arrives.... and I and up tanking for ages until I get shot down or help comes. - I know putting 20-30 points on the board is a good head-start, but are speed/evasion/armour builds really not that popular?

I use Engine boost/ shield boost/ barrel roll / Hydrospanner as my main CDs.

Am I better off approaching slower and shooting/peeling the enemy off the node?

A few quibbles with some of the advice on this page:

From Verain

> While you are charging your railgun on a target that isn't likely to be dead center of your scope, whip your mouse in that direction, overshooting them, so that your ship turns (yaw is faster than pitch). This is easier if you are zoomed out fully, which you should be in the habit of doing the moment you enter scope mode, and as your charge reaches full, move the cursor back for the snipe. This greatly reduces the chance of your shot missing, as you won't be gaining any accuracy debuff for them not being precisely on target.

The advice is fine, but the pitch vs yaw turn rates are backwards. Turn rate in pitch is roughly 50% greater than turn rate in yaw. Pitch is up and down and yaw is side to side, for those that occasionally confuse the two. ;)

The other point is that gear is in fact hugely important in GSF, provided that you have enough skill to get some use out of that gear. It varies by the specific tactical situation of course. In a plain old dogfight, the difference between stock and mastered ships might be a 50% damage increase and reversing your kill and assist numbers. If you're running against a gunsheep or two providing cover for a swarm of SIM bombers in domination mode, lacking shield piercing, armor ignore, and charged plating because you're on a stock ship can be the difference between a competitive game in domination versus a complete shutout.

Skill is mandatory for success in GSF, and that usually means the team as a whole needs to have skill above a certain threshold. However; in the absence of the right gear, skill by itself is not always enough.

The nice thing is that with daily and weekly GSF missions from the PvP terminal gear can be taken care of pretty quickly. If you have Cartel Creds available you can use ship >> fleet requisition to gear up your favorite ships even faster.

I should mention that the above is informed a bit by leveling an alt to 10 on TEH in prep for Nem's Strike days.

I got on early enough that there were a lot of people on, and looking at a legacy with no record, the matchmaking started by throwing me in with a bunch of GSF newbs. It was like being a starving Rancor at a very surprised Jawa family reunion.

Shortly after I got in less newbish groups, and ran into Sammy. He invited me to queue up with him, and the matchmaking started throwing us against Gunsheep and co. I'm at the point where playing against good players is actually more fun even if my team is having a complete disaster of a match, but at times I felt like I could feel the absence of every single upgrade compared to my mastered ships on Jung Ma.

So I'm actually at the point now where I believe that matchmaking does exist, but that it requires a very large player pool to do a good job of matching teams and that it can be misled if the player's legacy doesn't have enough data for the algorithm to use.

I saw a few more questions that I think i can answer.

How do you deal with multiple bombers on the same node?

So here's where it gets complicated, because once you take out one with the strategy I already talked about you are on a clock to deal with the next one before the other comes back. It get's even worse if hyperspace beacons are involved which is why it's so important to get those killed as quickly as possible.

Once you kill one bomber someone needs to be heading to the spawn point to deal with the new ones immediatly, wether that's someone helping you clear the node or someone else that's up to your team to decide. Really useful things for killing bombers before they get to the node are slows, via concussion missile/ion missile/ion railguns, things like that. Bombers are already really slow and making it worse gives you more time to kill them before they get where they need to be.

I really think the key to killing bombers is just have someone camping there spawn, without a tensor field no bomber can make it to cover in round of boosting so they always have to wait for engine power in the middle of nowhere. This is where you need to destroy them quickly, and just keep doing it.

I hope that helps :)

I don't wanna derail a ' vs bomber' thread, but I just wanted some advice. I fly mainly scouts, and in Dom matches almost always arrive at a node well before the enemy. - Usually enough to seize it before anyone else arrives. I build for speed and evasion, as my shooting isn't my strongest suit. - In gen chat I almost always ask for backup at the node, but it rarely arrives.... and I and up tanking for ages until I get shot down or help comes. - I know putting 20-30 points on the board is a good head-start, but are speed/evasion/armour builds really not that popular?

I use Engine boost/ shield boost/ barrel roll / Hydrospanner as my main CDs.

Am I better off approaching slower and shooting/peeling the enemy off the node?

There's nothing wrong with being built for speed on a scout in domination, I just think you might be playing your role less effectively then it could be. So you talked about getting to the node faster then anyone else that's awesome it means you get green so your team can defend it. But your job is not to defend the satelites after this, I would hunt down bombers respawns/gunships or anything out in the open harrasing your team. This doesn't mean abandon all the nodes and go around killing people anywhere, what i mean is a scout on a node is bomber bait, you just can't keep up with them there.

However if you are that fast once your team kills a bomber on a node you are the perfect one to run as fast as possible to the spawns and murder him again before he can get back. Because of this I would probably opt for something like concentrated fire for a crew member ability to help kill them as fast as you can while they are inroute. I really don't like hydrospanner except for charged plating builds that can't heal themselves. If you really want a defensive cd id go with running interference as it stacks very well with all the scouts evasion.

Hope that helps :)

(If you want more information on this playstyle storm we should schedule a voice chat or something I can go over everything with ya)

I saw a few more questions that I think i can answer.

How do you deal with multiple bombers on the same node?

So here's where it gets complicated, because once you take out one with the strategy I already talked about you are on a clock to deal with the next one before the other comes back. It get's even worse if hyperspace beacons are involved which is why it's so important to get those killed as quickly as possible.

Once you kill one bomber someone needs to be heading to the spawn point to deal with the new ones immediatly, wether that's someone helping you clear the node or someone else that's up to your team to decide. Really useful things for killing bombers before they get to the node are slows, via concussion missile/ion missile/ion railguns, things like that. Bombers are already really slow and making it worse gives you more time to kill them before they get where they need to be.

I really think the key to killing bombers is just have someone camping there spawn, without a tensor field no bomber can make it to cover in round of boosting so they always have to wait for engine power in the middle of nowhere. This is where you need to destroy them quickly, and just keep doing it.

I hope that helps :)

The scary thing is that the faster you kill the bomber, the faster it respawns with full HP. It's like a treadmill: no matter how fast you run, you don't actually get anywhere. You're right that "camp the spawn" would work, but spawn camping is a much harder strategic position to achieve than just holding two nodes.

The scary thing is that the faster you kill the bomber, the faster it respawns with full HP. It's like a treadmill: no matter how fast you run, you don't actually get anywhere. You're right that "camp the spawn" would work, but spawn camping is a much harder strategic position to achieve than just holding two nodes.

And particularly on KM, from beginning, is nigh impossible before the bomber brigade gets to b.... the other sats are still available for capture. Spawn camping would have to happen after the initial clash