The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

In the future, please don't keybind anything in an update

DrewFromPhilly

I use the R key on all of my characters for all manner of abilities, and it's annoying to press those abilities and have the chat thing selected. I corrected it when I realized what was happening but please - in the future if a new feature is added allow players to keybind it themselves if they choose to.

I was going crazy last night trying to figure out why my chat box kept getting selected until somebody in the raid mentioned the new reply feature. Please stop it. Same thing happened when the GSF hangar was introduced but at least that was more obvious.

Mostly agree, in that they shouldn't have changed player defined keybinds, but I do think setting the default to 'R' for new players / anyone with 'R' unbound was the right thing to do.

This should help new players adapt to SWTOR as 'R' is the default for reply in other games I've ever played.

When I reinstalled the game a couple of months back after having played several other games for the past year, not having a default chat reply key drove me bonkers, as did the fact I had to bind it on every single character.

Edited by DawnAskham

I almost asked Tait about this when I saw the announcement in the patch notes (which read like it should only change the default, not override custom settings) and then thought, "nah, the games 2.5 years old, no way they wouldn't test the only obvious possible coding error."

/facepalmx2

Strangely, on some characters my keybinds don't seem to have changed (all of my characters have the r key bound to an ability).

But on those who did it's highly inconvenient. It was the same with the H key suddenly being bound to the Hangar. I agree, please stop doing that.

I was wondering what the hell happened. I thought there is no way I missed resetting this key but it was a patch override, horrible.

When they add a keybind, it's not an override, it's an additional assignment. On my Sent it's keybound to Master Strike which is a part of my rotation. That was definitely going off along with focusing the chat box.

Cursor in chat box bad... why my keybinds no work?!? *looks up* FFFFUUUUUUU

I was wondering what the hell happened. I thought there is no way I missed resetting this key but it was a patch override, horrible.

BTW the default for reply in MMOs is /r not R.

Its actually just "R" in every MMO that I have ever played.

I agree about not making bindings for us. I hated that I had to go through and change all my settings for H just because they made it the Hanger button. I use H for my Heal. I also don't appreciate them mucking about with the R, because that's my 'release' button for when I get caught by something.

Now I have to go through and fix that too. :mad:

If I wanted to use R to reply to chat, I would click in the chat box and "r [insert content here]"

But no, I want to use R to use Saber Reflect on my guardians and Recklessness/Force Potency on my squishies.

Now I have to go through every character and unbind reply as Bioware's idea of dual-binding "new features" directly interferes with the usefulness of custom, player-defined binds, especially for abilities off the global cooldown. Worse, it's not as obvious as the GSF "H for hangar" conflicting with pass huttball binds; instead we're left to wonder why we're suddenly not doing anything for a few seconds before we figure out the new dual bind messed up our rotations (we don't have time to do much more than click off chatbox if in the middle of a fight, and it doesn't necessarily send us to respawn to immediately rebind like failing to get a huttball pass off usually does).

If there is any conflict whatsoever between a default bind for a new feature and a previous, player-defined keybind, the player-defined preference must always take exclusive precedence. A notice of a new feature with a "you currently have the default bind for this new feature assigned to a different ability" upon character login should be sufficient to prompt interested players with potential keybind conflicts to assign another bind.

Edited by AdrianDmitruk

Yeah, the keybind thing is annoying, especially since we cannot simply copy & paste a setup to alts, I had to go through all alts after the Hanger was implemented and now again. Please stop with this crap, BioWare, make it more clear that there is a new option available, but don't force that this way upon us!

I went through a similar ordeal after the update that unbound R as the Chat Reply key. I was used to just hitting R to reply to people, and for the life of me, could not figure out why it wasn't working anymore. As with the current crop of players complaining about the change back to R being auto-bound to Chat Reply, I had not clue EA had made the change. Like the current players, I had to go through all 15 characters and manually reset my previous bindings (then do the same on alts on two other servers). Like the currently aggrieved players, some notice of this change would have been nice.*

Regardless what actions you like to bind to which keys, I agree that notification of such a change should be given.

* I have not checked ... did they mention this change in the Patch Notes?