Is SWTOR still canon?

Apophis_

What I was referring about canon is more in terms of stories...stuff about the emperor's wrath, about the existence of a dark council...and the various other aspects of the class stories, and other stories that exist in this time frame.

The biggest thing about this universe's canon, that I'm surprised you didn't bring up, was that in the movies, Sith are two...master and apprentice, but in this time frame, there are many Sith...many masters, and many apprentices, even for one master. I've no problem with this existing in this universe, or being canon, because it might have changed down the road, as time moves closer to the movies, and they might have changed their rules to Sith being two.

No. The big problem here is that the Existence of the Sith during the TOR period contradicts what has been said in the "official continuity" with that being Darth Ruin is the first sith lord. The official story is that a fallen jedi around 2000 BBY created the Sith.

Edited by Girdeux

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The big problem here is that the Existence of the Sith during the TOR period contradicts what has been said in the "official continuity" with that being Darth Ruin is the first sith lord. The official story is that a fallen jedi around 2000 BBY created the Sith.

Care to explain what "official continuity?"

Darth Ruin mentioned in the Clone Wars cartoon? I know he wasn't in the movies. If he isn't in either of those, then he isn't official canon.

Care to explain what "official continuity?"

Darth Ruin mentioned in the Clone Wars cartoon? I know he wasn't in the movies. If he isn't in either of those, then he isn't official canon.

By lucas in the backstory and interviews.

What I've been seeing in the last few weeks, is that only the movies are official canon, not the cartoon, or any EU books.

I can see how that might be necessary, if they want to be able to create freely, what comes next after the canon movies.

Seeing as the time frame of the Old Republic hasn't been shown or mentioned, anything that happens in this time frame ought to stand as canon, until they go and decide to make an Old Republic film, in which case, they might revoke canon on this, just as they did for everything that came after Return of the Jedi.

As far as I'm concerned the only stuff predating the prequels, was the mention of Sidious' master, who knew the secret to extending life (except his own). If memory serves, isn't it Darth Plagueis, so he would still stand...because he was mentioned in the prequel, even if his name wasn't said outright. (maybe it was, I haven't watched in a while and can't remember).

Sorry if this sounds dense or stubborn to you, I'm not willfully trying to be, I just don't see how anything that happens thousands of years before the prequels and the originals wouldn't be or couldnt' be canon, because it doesn't affect the official movies.

Edited by Lunafox

yes its canon http://www.gamespot.com/articles/lucasfilm-confirms-all-future-star-wars-content-to-be-canon-including-the-games/1100-6419225/

and they said clearly everything from this point will be canon including games so meaning even if SWTOR wasn't canon b4 it is now.

let me simplify this whole thread for everyone. THIS universe has ended and it is the true one. If we can get that through our heads everything is well. If everyone can just get it through their heads that Disney's movies are just what if scenarios then everyone's happy. Everyone just put aside Emperor Mickey's propaganda and understand that what they produce is part of "their universe." We're all going to just watch what's going on in that Mouse's mind, none of it impacts real star wars universe. The official Star Wars universe is now closed and sealed forever, and what Disney spawns is just a figment of Mickey's imagination. So in a year and a half when you see the new movies and read the new books, just think this thought: "Wow, that would have been an interesting way things could have happened. They didn't, but it's nice to think about other possible scenarios." "What did and didn't happen" is really up to the fans imo, and if we sorta adopt this mentality, everyone's happy.

I don't like what they're doing with the Expanded Universe content. They should've left it all as it is in the first place instead of meddling with everything as if no amount of hard work was ever put into it. And as far as I'm concerned, they should clarify more candidly in their website and the social media as to what sections of the EU are still canon and what are not. It's all way too ambiguous right now.

This game was years in development. If it was indeed declared non-canon, I think that'd be a huge slap in the face of the team, because what it would mean in effect is that all of that labour holds no intrinsic value in the story of Star Wars any longer; it's just another "legend."

Edited by AscendantOps

let me simplify this whole thread for everyone. THIS universe has ended and it is the true one. If we can get that through our heads everything is well. If everyone can just get it through their heads that Disney's movies are just what if scenarios then everyone's happy. Everyone just put aside Emperor Mickey's propaganda and understand that what they produce is part of "their universe." We're all going to just watch what's going on in that Mouse's mind, none of it impacts real star wars universe. The official Star Wars universe is now closed and sealed forever, and what Disney spawns is just a figment of Mickey's imagination. So in a year and a half when you see the new movies and read the new books, just think this thought: "Wow, that would have been an interesting way things could have happened. They didn't, but it's nice to think about other possible scenarios." "What did and didn't happen" is really up to the fans imo, and if we sorta adopt this mentality, everyone's happy.

If you want to think that dude, then you go for it.

Everything that happened in my playthroughs of the class stories happened, so yes. Even when some of them contradicted each other in, for example, my Jugg and Mara playthroughs, or my Sorc and Inq playthroughs where I either killed somebody, or let them live at my whim at the time. So yes, Person X being alive and dead at the same time is canon to the universe.

Considering events in the first SW movie, which is now ANH, if you didn't get this outcome on all your toons, you did something wrong:

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/robertthebard/th_StoletheFleet.jpg

Yes, if you have an Imperial fleet at the completion of your stories, you did something wrong, since the Sith Empire is supposed to be dead, right?

• 1 month later...

TOR is in an interesting place right now. Because it's not the six film saga or The Clone Wars CGI cartoon, it's technically a Legends product that isn't part of the "real" canon anymore. At the same time, however, the storyline for the Galactic Starfighter expansion and the Forged Alliances arc have been approved and had writing contributed by the LucasArts Story Group who are the new arbiters of canon. It'd be strange if these most recent patches were part of the New Canon but the earlier gamer weren't considering that the former extends from the later.

The traditionally animated Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon is in a similar position. Technically it's a Legends work given that it's not a part of those seven works deemed the foundation of the New Canon, but a lot in the CGI The Clone Wars cartoon doesn't make sense without the background from Clone Wars.

SWTOR is not canon... SWTOR is part of the EU (which is now Legends) and Legends material is NOT canon.

...although I think that is completely irrelevant. It's a fun game. Why the heck if it's canon or not should be relevant to anyone's decision to play it is beyond me, but to each his own.

Supporting Evidence:

The recent delay of the latest expansion for another EA title, Star Wars: The Old Republic, is unrelated to today's announcement. The Lucasfilm rep told GameSpot, "[A]s far as The Old Republic MMO is concerned, nothing is going to change. [TOR] has always been a part of the Expanded Universe, and that's not going to change."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/lucasfilm-confirms-all-future-star-wars-content-to-be-canon-including-the-games/1100-6419225/

On April 25, 2014, a StarWars.com press release confirmed that the films of the sequel trilogy would not adhere to the post–Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe,[9] with further comments from LucasBooks Senior Editor Jennifer Heddle confirming that the EU as a whole is no longer considered canon. The EU has been re-termed "Legends," with related publications remaining in print under that banner.

Since then, the only previously published material still considered canon are the six original trilogy/prequel trilogy films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film. Most material published after April 25—such as the Star Wars Rebels TV series and all novels beginning with A New Dawn—is also considered part of the new canon, on account of the creation of the Lucasfilm Story Group, which currently oversees continuity as a whole.

As summarized by Wookiepedia

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

Edited by Bluejayoo

Star Wars LA 2014 Cantina Tour:

Question: How will Disney’s takeover of the rights to Star Wars affect SWTOR’s lore?

Answer: SWTOR is not canon. It is part of the extended universe. It will not be affected in anyway. The only thing that can affect SWTOR is Lucas Arts. As in Sith will not be running around on unicorn mounts.

Question: How will Disney’s takeover of the rights to Star Wars affect SWTOR’s lore?

Answer: SWTOR is not canon. It is part of the extended universe. It will not be affected in anyway. The only thing that can affect SWTOR is Lucas Arts. As in Sith will not be running around on unicorn mounts.

You beat me to it. I was going to post this exact same thing.

SWTOR is not canon. Guess what? That's ok! Are you enjoying the game, having fun, and making friends? If so, then I am of the opinion that you are getting your moneys worth. I would say that if the OP wanted to leave because the game is not canon, then that is their right, but I believe it to be very close minded.

Well that's good to here, its not canon (but lets face it that was a pipe dream) but the folks at TOR still planning on abiding by continuity. I see no issue here. Edited by Beniboybling

• 2 months later...

Yep, this is the only thing that makes sense.

The real Star Wars is finished. Disney's killed it and now they're doing some reboot nonsense. I probably can't avoid the movies but I want no part of it otherwise. And I refuse to buy anything with the word "Legends" printed on it.

I hope that TOR is canon. it's a fantastic Back story and in many ways more exciting than the current SW timeline simply because there are thousands or jedi and sith about.

I doubt the film could come up with a better history than what TOR has created. I think it would be great it the films mentioned Raven or the Jedi civil wars or the mando wars.

I expect it too be canon simply because of how good it is. Also the fact that it's like 4000 years in the past so it can't really conflict with Ep.1-9

I hope that TOR is canon. it's a fantastic Back story and in many ways more exciting than the current SW timeline simply because there are thousands or jedi and sith about.

I doubt the film could come up with a better history than what TOR has created. I think it would be great it the films mentioned Raven or the Jedi civil wars or the mando wars.

I expect it too be canon simply because of how good it is. Also the fact that it's like 4000 years in the past so it can't really conflict with Ep.1-9

It was already said that TOR is not canon in a recent Cantina Tour event.

It's high-time people get over it.

In the latest Twitch stream, when asked about that, Eric said that they are in constant contact with the people from LucasArts in order to provide a true SW experience. If memory serves me right, Charles Boyd said he talked with them the day before the stream.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Galatic Starfighter including in it's credits that it was made in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group. They have said that everything now being produced is Canon. So while KOTOR might not be automatically brought it, if 3.0 is written with the Lucasfilm Story Group it will then be canon.

Galatic Starfighter including in it's credits that it was made in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group. They have said that everything now being produced is Canon. So while KOTOR might not be automatically brought it, if 3.0 is written with the Lucasfilm Story Group it will then be canon.

People don't even try reading what is said. :rolleyes:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7513354&postcount=241

Edited by Darth_Wicked