Post mortem analysis on why STWOR PVP gameplay failed

Vaerah

x-server isn't saving sheeit anyway. we're past that point. far too many PvPers are long gone. grp ranked has no hope. it's a casual game. casual rated is the only hope for rated. that means yolo solo. and even that needs a lot of work. I've reconciled myself to this. we've done the unsub thing. I preordered my copy of WS. I'll hook up with my old guildies there. life will continue.

I bet if cross servers were actually confirmed as something we could expect this year it would bring a lot of players back.

I don't disagree with you that this is a casual game, took me two+ years to figure it out myself but it is.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet if cross servers were actually confirmed as something we could expect this year it would bring a lot of players back.

I don't disagree with you that this is a casual game, took me two+ years to figure it out myself but it is.

I believe you're right. PvPers were just looking for that one little glimpse of hope...but Bioware basically said "we really don't care about your type".

This post is pure win. And biofail will ignore it of course. Maybe they're too busy admiring their characters stuck in CC animations.

This game's popularity is due to one thing. Star Wars in a post Disney world with few to no new Star Wars games.

Yeah he did a really good job and everything on that list is true.

I really wonder how long it will be until they have to merge all the servers together?

Yeah he did a really good job and everything on that list is true.

I really wonder how long it will be until they have to merge all the servers together?

not likely to happen anytime soon, server populations are generally still good (except for some stuff some people have said about Jung-Ma but I don't know I am not on that server)

Edited by Sangrar

I don't even care anymore. I'm going to sleep in a few minutes and - when I wake up - I will bound out of bed and enjoy the fruits of my Elder Scrolls Online pre-order.

Won't look back for half a second. It's been fun. Shame it couldn't have been great.

/beginderail

Spent almost the entire day Sunday playing ESO. What a craptastic game that thing is. Now I didn't make it to the OPvP area, guess you have to be a certain level to go there. Judging by the videos I've seen, OPvP in ESO looks to just be siege zerging anyway. Been there, done that in GW2 already.

The worst thing is that leveling in that game was such a snooze-fest and felt like a chore. Sorry, but I just couldn't do it a second day. It's not even a different strokes for different folks thing. ESO is trash.

I'm no biodrone. I want to quit this game as bad as anybody, but ESO isn't the answer. You will be back for sure. lulz

/endderail

Edited by DarthOvertone

/beginderail

Spent almost the entire day Sunday playing ESO. What a craptastic game that thing is. Now I didn't make it to the OPvP area, guess you have to be a certain level to go there. Judging by the videos I've seen, OPvP in ESO looks to just be siege zerging anyway. Been there, done that in GW2 already.

The worst thing is that leveling in that game was such a snooze-fest and felt like a chore. Sorry, but I just couldn't do it a second day. It's not even a different strokes for different folks thing. ESO is trash.

I'm no biodrone. I want to quit this game as bad as anybody, but ESO isn't the answer. You will be back for sure. lulz

/endderail

TBH I've been hearing a lot of positive things about TESO after it released, so I'm pretty sure there's something or some things over there that make the grass greener than here.

TBH I've been hearing a lot of positive things about TESO after it released, so I'm pretty sure there's something or some things over there that make the grass greener than here.

Still has its "new game oooh shinies" aspect to it. Once it loses that, and the first couple balance patches come out, then well see what kind of game it is.

But yeah I learned my lesson for GW2, the "10 abilities on your bar" style MMOs seem to be way things have swung for this iteration of this years games, and after about two months I just get bored.

I do feel the need to find something new. I find myself "not having fun" more and more often as of late. Player apartments, and the new rancor mount are not going to change that.

Edited by Haystak

go play it and judge for yourself. I have found it a big disappointment and regret pre-ordering( will def be the last MMO I ever pre-order ).

Nothing at all wrong with ESO and quite frankly, the vast majority of people dissing it have either never played it or didn't give it the time of day to make a proper informed judgement.

/QFT

If the daily population is as low as it is now in SWTOR, it must mean at least most people who've left for TESO believe that TESO is at least worth some of their time. It'll however, continue to go this route with new, highly anticipated games this year so I'm very curious on how the the PvP pop will look like at the end of the year.

Nothing at all wrong with ESO and quite frankly, the vast majority of people dissing it have either never played it or didn't give it the time of day to make a proper informed judgement.

Given the state this game launched in, I find it unfathomable that people dare to critique another game.

Given the state this game launched in, I find it unfathomable that people dare to critique another game.

what? this game had a very smooth launch. the problem with TOR wasn't at launch it was people ran out of content because BW underestimated how fast people would burn through everything. by the way, people reached level cap in less than 24 hrs in ESO, some in less than 15 hours using an exploit.

as far as the state of the game, go play ESO( if you can even get the game to work as many still cant ) and then come back and compare it to the state TOR lunched in. if you want even basic features you need to go find add on's for them.

My imp guild were purposedly all going to play ESO, most came from another EA tanked MMO and used SWTOR just as "temporary parking" till ESO launched.

As of yesterday, basically 1-2 went to really play ESO, all of us who played it since closed beta found it to be depressingly boring, controls suck the hardest nuts. You get back to level up killing the trite 3 spiders or bringing back the boar intestines (who heard of that since 2005 already)?

End result: almost all are staying in SWTOR, that's the big success ESO got so far.

what? this game had a very smooth launch. the problem with TOR wasn't at launch it was people ran out of content because BW underestimated how fast people would burn through everything. by the way, people reached level cap in less than 24 hrs in ESO, some in less than 15 hours using an exploit.

as far as the state of the game, go play ESO( if you can even get the game to work as many still cant ) and then come back and compare it to the state TOR lunched in. if you want even basic features you need to go find add on's for them.

Smooth? Sure...no big glitches, but it lacked ALL the basics. We had 2 immovable windows that opened/closed automatically for our inventory. Chat had no hyper-linking, it was ONLY text.

And why suggest I go play ESO? Do you make that suggestion to everyone trying to be objective? I have no desire to, nor have I ever said anything about EVER wanting to (please, search my post history to verify that claim)...I LIKE SWTOR...I want SWTOR to succeed Mia...but right now, it's falling apart at the seams.

Smooth? Sure...no big glitches, but it lacked ALL the basics. We had 2 immovable windows that opened/closed automatically for our inventory. Chat had no hyper-linking, it was ONLY text.

And why suggest I go play ESO? Do you make that suggestion to everyone trying to be objective? I have no desire to, nor have I ever said anything about EVER wanting to (please, search my post history to verify that claim)...I LIKE SWTOR...I want SWTOR to succeed Mia...but right now, it's falling apart at the seams.

I'm going to have to agree here. The features added in the first year all should have been in at launch. Legacy, UI customization, match to chest piece, dyes. These aren't content updates, these are basic features of a game that shouldn't have taken up development time post launch.

how are you being objective? if you havnt played ESO then how can you compare it to TORs launch? i was here for TOR launch and i am playing ESO as well and i don't think its even comparable. TOR was a much better and complete game at launch.

come on now. how is SWTOR falling apart at the seams? the game makes a profit. devs are still adding new stuff and have content patches at a faster rate than most other MMO's do. started a new alt the other day and low level planets are full of people so easy to get groups for heroics and FPs. they are adding guild ships and housing this year, both things many people wanted. game seems to be doing pretty well and is still more fun than any other MMO i have played.

how are you being objective? if you havnt played ESO then how can you compare it to TORs launch? i was here for TOR launch and i am playing ESO as well and i don't think its even comparable. TOR was a much better and complete game at launch.

I'm being objective about the state THIS game was in Mia...your ridiculous claim above is your imagination, not the reality of how this game actually launched. I'm not the one comparing this game to ESO or any other such nonsense...YOU are the one who suggested I go play it...remember?

What planet were on you on that SWTOR had a smooth launch?

Log-in queues of 2000+ people, huge server load problems, and Bioware creating so many servers that they literally shot themselves in the foot on day 1.

Yea, the launch was totally smooth........... :rolleyes:

Smooth for me I never logged out. Launch is probably one of the biggest reasons as to why the games population is where it is at now two years later. Yeah you're not going to have the subs at launch compared to down the road but they released too few servers, which lead to an over abundance of servers which in turn, led to empty servers once things started to balance out.

Smooth for me I never logged out. Launch is probably one of the biggest reasons as to why the games population is where it is at now two years later. Yeah you're not going to have the subs at launch compared to down the road but they released too few servers, which lead to an over abundance of servers which in turn, led to empty servers once things started to balance out.

I would log in, the go out for a couple hours, then come back and still have to wait 10-20 minutes to get to the character select screen. Fun times.

Even before that, I should have sensed their was a problem when they said it was launching ramp style. The only reason I can see to do something like that is because you are worried about server stability. I just thought it was par for the course for MMO launches.

Lesson learned.

I'm being objective about the state THIS game was in Mia...your ridiculous claim above is your imagination, not the reality of how this game actually launched. I'm not the one comparing this game to ESO or any other such nonsense...YOU are the one who suggested I go play it...remember?

"Given the state this game launched in, I find it unfathomable that people dare to critique another game. "

having been at the launch of both games, i DARE to say that ESO is less of a complete game than TOR was. i will also DARE to say that ESO has had more technical issues than TOR had. i will also DARE to say that ESO launched with some pretty major bugs some of which allowed people to reach level cap in 15 hrs.

ive also been there for launch of some previous MMOs that were complete disasters. so yeah, compared to many other MMO's TORs launch was pretty smooth.

Edited by MiaRB

Warhammer had some great pvp, until it too got borked. The Mythic devs that made warhammers fun pvp were not the same devs who worked on TOR's pvp. By the time EA/bioware acquired mythic, those devs had already left to go work for other studios such as Bethesda, for example.