Legacy Based Cosmetic Appearance Tabs

EnkiduNineEight

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please Note: The cost for changing mods etc for your 'base' equipment would remain. So spec changes, pvp vs pve gear, etc, would still have a credit sink cost associated with them as designed. I understand the reason for the cost and while I don't always like it, I deal with it.

So the base reason for the cost remains unchanged by this system so no 'balancing' would need to be done or tweaking to the economy necessary. I would continue to modify my base equipment as I do presently.

I just want to be able to actually use the collections of outfits and clothes I have amassed. As stated before, When I go to Hoth I would like to be able to make my character wear cold weather gear as would be appropriate for the environment without being charged an arm and a leg purely for an aesthetic choice that enhances the 'RP' aspect of the game not only for myself, but for other players.

Also: I was thinking an addition to this idea could be to have a 'Wardrobe Droid' purchasable as a Legacy Perk.

Just as we can buy legacy repair droids, legacy mail boxes, etc, that are summon-able in the field. Having a 'Wardrrobe Droid' that you can summon which gives you access to your ships 'Wardrobe/Closet' might be cool.

I'd make it look like a 'Gonk' or a power droid myself. Or maybe a unique droid model that makes it look like a trunk with legs or something.

Also: I was thinking an addition to this idea could be to have a 'Wardrobe Droid' purchasable as a Legacy Perk.

Just as we can buy legacy repair droids, legacy mail boxes, etc, that are summon-able in the field. Having a 'Wardrrobe Droid' that you can summon which gives you access to your ships 'Wardrobe/Closet' might be cool.

I'd make it look like a 'Gonk' or a power droid myself. Or maybe a unique droid model that makes it look like a trunk with legs or something.

sounds reasonable =) BioWare please give us some appearance upgrade lol =)

Musco ignored answering this question when asked several times in today's live stream. It's not like the stream is getting very many views recently, so the chat is relatively slow.

So, it's either 1.) a surprise for a future update and they don't want to spoil it or, 2.) they are tired of using their favorite excuse "it's too difficult" and rather stay silent on the issue.

Think twice about buying cartel coins in the future, all.

Musco ignored answering this question when asked several times in today's live stream. It's not like the stream is getting very many views recently, so the chat is relatively slow.

So, it's either 1.) a surprise for a future update and they don't want to spoil it or, 2.) they are tired of using their favorite excuse "it's too difficult" and rather stay silent on the issue.

Think twice about buying cartel coins in the future, all.

Well that is disheartening. Hopefully they've actually seen the thread and the idea.

All told I spent 1 million credits to rip out mods and augs, to put into my new gold scalene armor, after getting tired of my old blue scalene armor (had on since I hit 55 over a year ago!) I second, third, and will smack someone with a lightsaber who doesn't think this idea should be a go!

/signed

/takemymoney

/signed

I am happy with the current gear system, however I think that wardrobe should not be ruled out because of it. By now many of us have multiple 55s and use the legacy sets. The legacy gear is great and I think it should stay as is, however I think wardrobe should be added as well.

I don't want to wear the same looking gear on my shadow as on my sorc or sin. I would like their appearances to be different. Being Star Wars it is very nice to look like the character you want to look like.

You could even put wardrobe on the cartel market for all I care. I would pay close to anything for it. Please consider this!

Or at the very least put out some cloak type legacy gear sets on the CM.

Amazingly, I have not yet posted in this thread, and wanted to do so to show my support for this idea. :)

Just a few examples of why I want this:

- My Smuggler is going to Ilum for dailies. Sure would be nice if she could bundle up for the duration!

- There are several outfits I would like equally for my Warrior. But for endgame, I had to pick just one.

- The Dancer outfit is lovely on my Twi'lek. It shows of her pretty pink skin and is just gorgeous. I love having her wear it, but I don't want her to wear something so incredibly sexy and sensuous looking all the time.

There are just so many outfits available -- many of which are more situational, like formal gowns, huttball uniforms, and cold weather gear -- that it seems a shame to limit characters to just one at a time. Especially considering that at level cap, you aren't just in one spot leveling (which makes it easy to wear "appropriate" gear), but are bouncing all over the galaxy.

Amazingly, I have not yet posted in this thread, and wanted to do so to show my support for this idea. :)

Just a few examples of why I want this:

- My Smuggler is going to Ilum for dailies. Sure would be nice if she could bundle up for the duration!

- There are several outfits I would like equally for my Warrior. But for endgame, I had to pick just one.

- The Dancer outfit is lovely on my Twi'lek. It shows of her pretty pink skin and is just gorgeous. I love having her wear it, but I don't want her to wear something so incredibly sexy and sensuous looking all the time.

There are just so many outfits available -- many of which are more situational, like formal gowns, huttball uniforms, and cold weather gear -- that it seems a shame to limit characters to just one at a time. Especially considering that at level cap, you aren't just in one spot leveling (which makes it easy to wear "appropriate" gear), but are bouncing all over the galaxy.

Awesome, thanks for your reply. This is exactly the sort of reasoning behind wanting this idea. I tried to make my suggestion limited but flexible. Giving us up to 5 different outfits to change into at a time and if you go back to your ship, you can change these up freely OR if you buy the Wardrobe Droid as a legacy perk, can do it on the ground as well.

I really think this would help spur the market for Cartel sets etc. If people could actually change in and out of them easy, they might be more tempted to buy them.

Another reminder to request this of your local BiWare/EA Representative.

I for one know I wold be unlocking things in my collection that presently are stiting unused because changing my characters appearance costs too many credits for something that, realistically, is just a cosmetic change for roleplay purposes.

Another reminder to request this of your local BiWare/EA Representative

Do you mean submit a ticket requesting the idea?

Oh... :( ... I didn't even consider the huge boost for RP aspect. You could still battle on planets with your appropriate gear, while styled relative to the planet or atmosphere going on around you. Now I'm sad thinking about all the events that have passed by thus far where appearance tabs would have enhanced the experience by connecting your character closer to the environment. I'm not honestly a huge RP person, but there are specific things I like to do to really "dive" into a game and become immersed in it. This strikes me as a crucial one.

Bioware, you've done an excellent job with the removable mods and legacy gear, but you must understand the how that still falls short in allowing you to seperately manage how you look on the fly. Realize the benefits of improving the worth of the Collections area by allowing appearance tabs and the revitalization of lower end content as people will want to do all the old stuff to get more unique gear.

One of the biggest improvements to the game is allowing people to customize their character and let them feel different, stand apart from the crowd. Appearance tabs would be the last step required in enhancing character customization and SWTOR would have one of the (if not THE) best character gear customization setups in MMOs today. Legacy bound gear, swappable mods, AND specific appearance setups. Heaven.

PLEASE Bioware.

Another reminder to request this of your local BiWare/EA Representative.

I for one know I wold be unlocking things in my collection that presently are stiting unused because changing my characters appearance costs too many credits for something that, realistically, is just a cosmetic change for roleplay purposes.

This.

I currently have about 20% of the armor sets unlocked (and account unlocked), and have about another 10-15 armor sets that are in cargo bays that I have never equipped or added to collections yet, simply because I would only use them occasionally. If we have appearance tabs, I would go unlock them all right now. Without it, I'm saving my cartel coins.

Surely by now they must realize the income they are cutting themselves off from by not giving us this. Take me for example.

I am working on getting 16 chars, each class and ac on each side. Now given that means i can share a lot of gear between characters, i use legacy gear. Given the choice between faster gearing and cosmetic i will choose faster gearing every time.

But if we had cosmetic tabs i could do that and have different outfits, if that happened the first i would get is the cm imperial uniform for my trooper (for the laugh of having republic military in imperial uniform). I would look at other stuff and make outfits i liked so i am not stuck looking at the same stuff constantly.

I am not interested in pets, titles, mounts or any of the other cm stuff (apart from treek that i got and account unlocked), just the weapons and uniform. Since i buy the weapons off the gtn, there is no incentive for me to pay any more than my sub. If i could have appearance changes then i would start looking at the various outfits. Many other legacy gearing players most likely ignore cartel armors for the same reason.

Exactly,

The cost to change your spec/attribute choices will remain. The intended value of that system is not compromised.

This system would purely create more desire to have alternate equipment available to you as you could change your look without in game cost, and thus you have incentives to have cartel sets unlocked and available to any of your characters.

It enhances immersion and RP. You can throw on your cold weather gear for Hoth/Ilum, you can strip down some on Tatooine, etc.

If they are concerned about WZ performance or people causing havoc there, well just 'lock' the cosmetic tabs in WZ's or make it so that in WZ's you always display your base equipment not the cosmetic stuff.

While leveling the PowerTech this past Double XP Week, I had an awesome mix of gear from my cartel collections. Once at 55, all the cool appearances were out the window. It was time for function over form and all my gear was replaced with legacy gear from the Vanguard.

I happened to win a really awesome looking helmet from Eternity Vault on a greed roll, one you don't see much anymore.

Would have been really great to have the appearance tabs.

Brainstorming the other day...

What if they made it very simple? You put pieces of gear in Appearance "Slots" just like you do Dyes. So then it's just one more slot option on the gear?

Bioware, please reply to this thread. I know you can't resist Ewoks so.... :jawa_wink:

Just realized I called a Jawa an Ewok, all my fault that Bioware hasn't commented here yet.

I got brutalizer boots last night. they LOOK cool and I'd love to put them as an appearance slot piece. BUT Legacy gear is much more functional for sharing my PvP gear with shadow and assassin.

Want to buy Appearance slot unlocks.

Edited by undiess

Thanks for your continued support undiess.

I really hope they consider this idea and the basic system I propose.

A.) It adds another function to your Ship so that the rooms and their fixtures aren't all useless spaces. It also makes sense that you keep your 'travelling' wardrobe on your ship.

B.) Having a larger number of tabs unlockable based on your legacy level and your subscription level creates more incentive to subscribe. This means potentially more $$$ for EA/BioWare.

C.) Players who are now able to equip gear into cosmetic slots are incentivized to actually purchase and obtain more cartel pack equipment. Since they can use their stat bearing equipment as a 'base' but change their looks appropriate for roleplay/planetary excursions. This also adds to the potential $$$ for EA/BioWare.

D.) The money sink intended to make changing your spec/equipment optimization remains. Leaving the core system untouched.

E.) This potentially creates a greater market of dropped items (Grey, Green and Blue) because they can be equipped for their looks and kept around even if a player outgrows the equipments stats. This benefits the in game economy by creating a larger diversity of goods on the GTN.

F.) This also thus benefits crafters who have schematics that have great looks but which have only short term/limited usefulness in the optimized game.

I'm open to people discussing the potential negatives but so far I don't believe any will really stick. This has upside for players and the company. It improves Quality of Life while also potentially increasing revenues.