ESO Review... not looking good.

Eric_Riot

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people are clocking in around 100 hours to get to 1 to 50, without doing pvp or crafting or anything. Oh and remember level 50 players can go to the other 2 factions and do all the quests in those zones too. Which means a heck of a lot of content for PVE players. They also have veteran ranks and dungeons to do after level 50.

When I first played the beta it took me about 17 hours play time to get to level 10 because i was exploring and stuff because theres somuch to do. In this game it took me 1 hour to get to level 10 on korriban.

And i dont know much about adventure zones or what theyre like, they seem to be keeping it a secret.

Honestly, going to the other factions areas and doing their quests is the equivalent of rolling an alt on SW:TOR and playing through the storyline.

Also, some people have taken way more than 100 hours to get to 50 in SW:TOR, while others have taken alot less.

So having some clock 100 hours to 50 in the beta doesn't prove anything.

And you know what? The first time I played SW:TOR, it took me around 12-13 hours to leave korriban because I was running around looking at all the scenery and exploring.

But that stuff got boring after I had been through there once or twice, and I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen in ESO.

Wasnt my point. Many star wars fans left this game soon after launch is what im getting at. This game didnt hold their attention.

I'm pretty sure ESO will hold onto their fans for longer though.

And how do you reckon that?

Alot of ES fans are complaining about the game already and it's not even out yet.

They are complaining that it is too much of an MMO and they don't like the new way that combat works with abilities and magic locked to a quickbar.

There are plenty of rumbles about the game, I would go so far as to say there are more rumbles about this game than there were about SW:TOR form the fans of the IP.

So... how long have you been playing TOR? Just wondering... it might make your arguments a bit more credible if you shared your history with this game.

I've been playing since release but I've just returned from a break.

How long have you been playing TOR? :rolleyes:

I've been playing since release but I've just returned from a break.

How long have you been playing TOR? :rolleyes:

Really? And why did you come back and why did you sub? I assume you didn't sub because you hated the game...

Really? And why did you come back and why did you sub? I assume you didn't sub because you hated the game...

I never said I hate SWTOR lol. SWTOR was my first MMO, i've played other MMO's but I guess the only reason I came back to this because it was star wars. I plan to play this game for a few more weeks until ESO is released.

I never said I hate SWTOR lol. SWTOR was my first MMO, i've played other MMO's but I guess the only reason I came back to this because it was star wars. I plan to play this game for a few more weeks until ESO is released.

Ah... I see. So you are trolling for 2 weeks. Ok. That fills in the blanks.

just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't mean i'm trolling. Or is that your best attack you can possibly think of? :rolleyes:

I take it you're one of those hardcore fanboys who tries to scare off people who criticise the game?

Lol! No. I'm just clearing it up for everyone else reading your posts. You seem a little defensive now. I think we get the picture.

Lol! No. I'm just clearing it up for everyone else reading your posts. You seem a little defensive now. I think we get the picture.

ok i just wanted to know if you were one of those people who ignores logic and reason lol

Wasnt my point. Many star wars fans left this game soon after launch is what im getting at. This game didnt hold their attention.

I'm pretty sure ESO will hold onto their fans for longer though.

Both games had completely different circumstances. SWTOR didn't lose its players because it didn't have enough Star Wars. It was the technical issues and post launch releases that did that. In fact, it was dedicated Star Wars fans whose love of Star Wars has kept this game going. At no point was the community claiming that the game lacked that Star Wars feel. Yet that is exactly what's happening with ESO. "It's too much mmo, not enough TES", "It's not an TES", "just another fantasy MMO with a TES skin". Yes ESO has its own set of gameplay issues, but that's not what's causing people to abandon that game. It's its lack of TES elements that's doing that. SWTOR was saved because of its dedicated fans. ESO will fail because of them.

It's a pretty fair review. I think the reviewer embodies what most other reviewers embody: the ES fan base. People who love the series and wanted something that immerses them more in the world, and they are disappointed that they haven't gotten that. So many who have commented on the reviews say the same thing: they wanted to like it, but just couldn't. There was nothing to keep them drawn in, and the present in-game bugs were enough to really be the nail in the coffin in terms of worry about what will be presented on release day.

Granted, all of this should be taken with a grain of salt, for many ES fans may be akin to those who came to this game wanting a KOTOR 3 and only a KOTOR 3 and were unhappy because SW:TOR didn't meet their expectations. On the other hand, the actual game as is holds no draw for me and even ardent supporters seem to readily admit that combat, movement, and even standing still are clunky/awkward. There's nothing beautiful about the way characters are currently portrayed in terms of having to stare at your toon for hours on end. With that in mind, we've seen how much TOR's devs have managed to polish up the look of this game, and though changing movement and combat is a little more intense, it can be done.

I don't think this game will appeal to ES fans overall. I don't think it will appeal to those who want a more traditional MMO concept per se. I do think that it will appeal to those who want a PvP-focused hack and slash online experience. There are some parts of it that are pretty cool, some that are pretty sub par, so the question is will enough of the good become great and enough of the mediocre become attention-holding in time to keep their subscription-only model viable?

like i said... F2P and ill consider it...

Your comments are spot on!

It's a pretty fair review. I think the reviewer embodies what most other reviewers embody: the ES fan base. People who love the series and wanted something that immerses them more in the world, and they are disappointed that they haven't gotten that. So many who have commented on the reviews say the same thing: they wanted to like it, but just couldn't. There was nothing to keep them drawn in, and the present in-game bugs were enough to really be the nail in the coffin in terms of worry about what will be presented on release day.

Granted, all of this should be taken with a grain of salt, for many ES fans may be akin to those who came to this game wanting a KOTOR 3 and only a KOTOR 3 and were unhappy because SW:TOR didn't meet their expectations. On the other hand, the actual game as is holds no draw for me and even ardent supporters seem to readily admit that combat, movement, and even standing still are clunky/awkward. There's nothing beautiful about the way characters are currently portrayed in terms of having to stare at your toon for hours on end. With that in mind, we've seen how much TOR's devs have managed to polish up the look of this game, and though changing movement and combat is a little more intense, it can be done.

I don't think this game will appeal to ES fans overall. I don't think it will appeal to those who want a more traditional MMO concept per se. I do think that it will appeal to those who want a PvP-focused hack and slash online experience. There are some parts of it that are pretty cool, some that are pretty sub par, so the question is will enough of the good become great and enough of the mediocre become attention-holding in time to keep their subscription-only model viable?

ESO does things its own way and I found that pretty enjoyable.

A big issue that ESO faces is that its early content is rather boring. It doesnt do quite what TOR does, which is grabbing the player right away. Instead ESO gives 2 tutorial areas and then the first area after the Island is still slowly working you into its game play. It makes sense though, it is a very different combat system.

The biggest problem I see ESO facing is the fact that everyone cries they want something different, but the moment it is different, they cry out that its a bad system. The reviews are very mixed. Those who can adjust to its different style seem to love the game, while others seem to be very upset that it isnt exactly like Elder Scrolls single player games or other MMOs. (that isnt to say that their opinions are wrong)

I personally will be playing both TOR and ESO from now on. Neither one of them on their own can probably keep my attention fully. However, the combination of the 2 of them should make me pretty happy since they are very different games and genres.

I played it and its the worst MMO I have ever tried.

Pretty much that for me, too.

The interesting thing about ESO is that it will also be released for console. I expect it will do pretty well in the console market, but not well at all in the PC market.

I tried the beta three times as a healer. There is no visual information as to how much you healed for, when your hots finish, or even an indicator if your heal actually healed your intended target!! Plus, the healing spells I had all emanate from me, not my intended target, so I had to run up and be close to my groups in order to be sure the heals worked. Plus the tooltips for the healing did not mention a range or anything from which the spell can be cast, which doesn't really matter because you have no way to tell how far away you are from a target. Crazy.

BAM - spot on. This is why it will not do well. MMORPG's at this stage of the game have evolved to required this kind of information - and it's simply not present with the game.

However - the game permits and encourages add-ons. So the devs got lazy and said "Let the community do it"

Fail in my opinion.

I find it rather ironic that anyone playing this game has the nerve to criticize any other launching MMO considering the condition this game was in at launch...SWTOR was utterly miserable at launch. Give MMOs time...none are released in perfect condition.

And what about you? Care to answer your own question?
Was a drive-by shooter who is long gone by now. To quote Vette's sister, "Good luck cracking that nut."

What I find intriguing is: the people who say they will wait until a game goes F2P before they try it are usually the same people who consider F2P an indication that a game has failed. In which case waiting until something fails in their mind's eye before supporting it must make perfect sense to them.

Edited by GalacticKegger

I find it rather ironic that anyone playing this game has the nerve to criticize any other launching MMO considering the condition this game was in at launch...SWTOR was utterly miserable at launch. Give MMOs time...none are released in perfect condition.

Why they didn't build the game, and I though the point most SWTOR critics had was that an MMO should launch with all the elements you would expect from best in class MMOs. I don't agree but there you go.

I think the other people have made the point that TESO will probably get 2m "subscribers" in the first month, most of which will bugger off, once a) they find it isn't ES, b) they realise the storytelling at sub 20 is not all that, c) combat is not what they expected and is too "hard" for PvP, the economy is basically limited to either trade chat or selling to 300 people in guilds.

The other issues seem to be that what made Skyrim a good immersive game aren't, and probably couldn't be in an MMO. They had a real chance to do something different. Example why not make the mobs level up with your character, that way you could wander the map freely, give the mobs some kind of bolster mechanic so that when you walk into an area they fight according to your level.

Just to point out the PVE end-game wont include the adventure zones at launch , to correct that one ESO fan in this thread.

EDIT - Also you can't review a game in beta , MMO or otherwise and you would have to play an MMO for a pretty good while to review one anyway.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

Another nice thing about ESO is that you have more freedom to decide how you want your ch. to focus on. You can use any weapon you want and lvl in it and later decide that you want to try something different. Another huge failure in TOR is that once you pick your class and advance class your stuck with that type of weapon, armor, etc. there is no going back unless you start another ch. For class story line I think that TOR beats ESO as far as I know ( I was in only three Beta weekends and lvl'd different ch. only up to 9), But, ESO has made it so that player actions do have some effect on the game and factions so that the game is constantly changing.

As for some of those who say give TOR a chance that the developers are changing and bringing new stuff well I've been paying since startup and enough excuses by them. They have failed, I will still stay with Star Wars because it is Star Wars and there is always that small voice inside of me says that maybe this will be the year they will change. But, truth is it seems like TOR has painted itself in a corner and can't get out with the storyline. Perhaps there is no one in EAware to put thought and writing into class stories so they just turn out the dribble they have been to try and keep TOR afloat. I think that developers would help themselves by coming out and saying this is what we are making and this is the direction we are going instead of giving small hints of something and giving the same crappy line of they don't want to give anything away. They've said that enough times that I think they don't want to give anything away cause they don't have anything. Enough is enough and these guys need to be open and informative to what is going on and what will happen. PAYING CUSTOMERS DESERVE THAT MUCH!

Prefect game for me.

Single player leveling for the most part (although I did the first set of dungeons and had fun there as well) and it really is more like Skyrim than people think once you get past the first 2 starter areas. Walk around and find quests randomly about , but you have to watch as it is not scaled the way Skryim is. It is possible to wander into something you have no business facing at the moment.

Mass PvP endgame and while leveling is my cup of tea. There are many ways to enjoy it and you are left to decide for yourself how to, but at the same time, there are things to do that they provide for you. I call it a sandbox with some buckets, sand castles and shovels already thrown in. You have the freedom to decide who's sandcastle you want to stomp to the ground, or just kick sand in their face. Also a huge map with towns and things to find all over the place and more reminiscent to Skyrim as everything in Cyrodiil is scaled in a way. They could have made the entire game in this way and I would have been happy, but they made the other areas pretty much for strictly PvEers to co-exist.

The character development is awesome. Each class will have a couple abilities where you think you must have, but there are so many different ways to make use of them that you wind up making choices and it is why I now love the only 10 ability bind and 2 ultimate abilities as extra for those choices. Really; you don't need any more than that as there are no cooldowns and you are limited on how much you can spam based on your resource pool. In that sense, it seems to be the opposite of SWTOR where with even the slightest energy management, you can do what you want.

Anyone that thinks combat is bland, has not gotten to weapon swap and played against other players. It can be very dynamic and the ones that figure it out and have the skill to make use of it, actually get to be better than other players who don't! Imagine that.

The music is fantastic and really adds to the game. Landscape is beautiful and is only made better by weather effects.

It does have its problems that need to be addressed. Some bugs like quest objectives not spawning and needing to re-log several times to get them to come up, and if you are doing a group dungeon, it just isn't going to work as you need everyone on the same phase. Saw some new ones where your ESC key doesn't bring up the exit menu and you have to type /logout or restart the game to get it to work again. You sometimes have to type /reloadui in order to advance conversations, but I didn't see this a lot this last weekend. New one I saw this weekend was walls of keeps disappearing, yet physically still in effect. All bugs that need to be fixed.

All in all; the bugs have driven me nuts but I have had a ton of fun. The having fun part is what should be important to everyone and it is subjective so you have to try for yourself.

BAM - spot on. This is why it will not do well. MMORPG's at this stage of the game have evolved to required this kind of information - and it's simply not present with the game.

However - the game permits and encourages add-ons. So the devs got lazy and said "Let the community do it"

Fail in my opinion.

Actually I do love the ADD-ON ability and think our SWTOR DEV's are lazy for not providing that option. If SWTOR did that it would be seriously awesome! Yes Parsec/Torparse do exist today, but that's pretty limited. When I can get an ADD-ON that tells me the levels and BUFF's of the other person when I click/fight them it's great.

Love crafting, PVP Open World, Day/Night/Weather cycles, Add-On abilities, etc. Those alone have a lot of SWTOR players going... "Hmmm... wonder if we will be raiding after 4/8/14 even with NIM content released".

Will EOSL be the "SWTOR" killing? Not likely, but like every other MMO its going to cycle some players out of SWTOR that are fed up with whatever the item they dislike in SWTOR. Will some be back? Yes, but not as many as we lose I'm sure.