ESO Review... not looking good.

Eric_Riot

This review reads like the author didn't realize that ESO is an MMO and not a single player TES game. For a "review' he talks very little about what the game actually is, and instead chooses to spend the entire article talking about what he wanted it to be.

I'll be picking it up to play between SWTOR and other things. I certainly don't expect it to be the end-all-be-all of MMOs, but it's fun for what it is. Even as someone who doesn't get into PVP all that much, Cyrodiil looks pretty fun.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably looking good for ES fans which will likely be enough to carry it. I was in on 6 beta weekends beginning last August, and for me it plays and feels too much like a console port. Both turn R/L & targeting are tied to mouselook much like Galactic Starfighter (because of gamepad ministick mapping as it is slated for PS4 and Xbox One releases), and are not changeable.

One can't click quickbar ability icons during combat in ESO just like one can't click quickbar ability icons during combat in GSF. ESO and GSF play essentially the same way. So I anticipate that traditional "clickers" might have a problem not being able to access everything their character can do in one glance with a single mouse click.

But they did have numerous calls for LUA developers and testers. So addon and macro-automation fans may get their wish.

Most important to that game imho (or any new MMO for that matter) is end game. If there were definitive announcements for an end game outside of the Cyrodill and PvP I tested, I didn't hear about them. I played in a "group dungeon" at level 9 ... wasn't that bad really. So the core mechanics for raid instances and the like are there. Both WoW and TOR launched with 16 dungeons/flashpoints and end game raids/ops. They talked about ESO opening with 6 multiplayer dungeons, but having not seen anything past level 20 makes it a wait and see thing for me.

I was hoping ESO would replace LOTRO as my fantasy sword & board fix, and pre-ordered The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition for the PC from Gamestop the day they became available. But unless some significant changes are made by launch - like allowing turn L&R to be mapped to the keyboard, leaving mouselook for PoV/camera swing - I'll probably prospect it on EBay.

My disappointment does not mean that the game is bad. In its current and planned state (via forum posts from the devs), it's just not what I'm looking for. I'm not writing it off though and will go back periodically to check it out.

Edited by GalacticKegger

ESO has some interesting features.

Graphic wise buildings, trees, and large mushrooms stop rain which is unheard of in games these days. The environmentals in ESO are awesome.

The lack of an auction house will be interesting, not so much convenience, I am curious how that will work out in a game of this generation.

A few nice features but I could not get drawn into it. Just not my style of MMO.

Edited by illgot

I was hoping ESO would replace LOTRO as my fantasy sword & board fix, and pre-ordered The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition for the PC from Gamestop the day they became available. But unless some significant changes are made by launch - like allowing turn L&R to be mapped to the keyboard, leaving mouselook for PoV/camera swing - I'll probably prospect it on EBay.

Funny, because the camera being tied to mouse look is a selling point for me. I feel more connected to my character with a system like TESO where you don't have to hold a mouse button to turn. Different strokes and all that :)

My problem with the combat system is not the concept (which is more to my taste than "traditional" MMO combat, again because WoW-like combat makes me feel disconnected from my character), but the execution. The less than stellar animations are partly responsible, and there is a lack of weight and smoothness to it. I like how it works, with no autoattack, active dodging and blocking, power attacks plus a small hotbar of easily accessible abilities - but it feels unpolished and undercooked. And I doubt this is something that will change the further I get into the game.

I do like the potential for solo "end game" though with the other two continents opening up in "veteran mode" or whatever, and the fact that we can still "level" our characters past level cap. I can't stand traditional MMO end-game with its focus shifting directly to gear (so effectively all character progression stops) and all the good stuff exclusively needing a group. What we know of for ESO is far more to my liking. Though I do hope there is enough good small and large group content for people who love to group.

As for the game going f2p - I am 100% sure it will happen, and as I've said before I wouldn't be surprised if it were the plan from the start. Make a quick buck with box sales and subs, then jump on the f2p bandwagon. I'm not saying it is like that, it's just a suspicion of mine.

I played it and its the worst MMO I have ever tried.

But you play swtor?

Don't get me wrong swtor is not the worst mmo ever but it is the most disappointing.

It doesn't really matter how bad ESO is it can't be any worse then swtor right? I mean the pvp in ESO alone has already given the game more lifetime then swtor did at launch.

At this point swtor is pretty much dead, servers are all under populated and can't support player base, the dev cycles are beyond glacial and all new features are made around a cash shop? I understand peoples love for the star wars universe but you'd think there would be a point where they realize they are suckers.

Edited by HoboWithAStick

The lack of an auction house will be interesting, not so much convenience, I am curious how that will work out in a game of this generation.

I think it ties in with PVP, guilds can capture keeps and set up their stores or something. But dont expect a terminal that everybody stands around.

But you play swtor?

Don't get me wrong swtor is not the worst mmo ever but it is the most disappointing.

It doesn't really matter how bad ESO is it can't be any worse then swtor right? I mean the pvp in ESO alone has already given the game more lifetime then swtor did at launch.

At this point swtor is pretty much dead, servers are all under populated and can't support player base, the dev cycles are beyond glacial and all new features are made around a cash shop? I understand peoples love for the star wars universe but you'd think there would be a point where they realize they are suckers.

Oh god, I hope you vanish into the ESO forums in 2 weeks...

This is the worst review of them all. It doesn't do the game justice.

The lack of auction house is awesome, you can sell everything in Trade yourself and be like a merchant lol, it's freaking cool, just like in the old mmos.. :)

(WTT Iron Ingots for Rawhides, WTS [Darktarge] and so on... boom you get a whisper: "How much for Darktarge?", "900g".. you meet up, do the trade and that's it..).

If everything is AH'ed it's just a convenience but loses on the community part.

Edited by AssajiStarseed

From what I have seen the combat just doesnt look satisfying.. and considering thats the repetitive thing you'll be doing mostly, I wouldn't play it.

It's pretty much the MMO no one asked for. People have asked for multiplayer in elder scrolls yes, but not so much about it being an MMO. They should have just made a traditional elder scrolls with optional multiplayer.

Now we just get yet another medieval fantasy MMO that really doesnt have anything new to add aside from destroying elder scrolls lore.

They should have just made a traditional elder scrolls with optional multiplayer.

Thats what ESO is, you can do the game solo if you want.

Also im pretty sure bethesda are making the next fallout or something, i wont expect to see another single payer tes game for another few years...

The people making ESO are different to the people making the single player games. Think of ESO as a spinoff...

ESO is for Elder Scrolls fans and SWTOR is for Star Wars fans. That's it, both games have pretty big issues and are lacking in a few departments but fans of these universes will be playing them. Question is will ESO be F2P in a year.

Problem being that SWTOR actually feels like a Star Wars game. ESO lacks the atmosphere of an Elder Scrolls game. It feels like your typical sword and magic MMO with Elder Scrolls textures. It will most likely not hold the attention of Elder Scrolls players for long and with them being Zenimax's target audience.......doesn't look good.

Edited by TheUnNamedHero

The combat is actually really cool, just because there are so many different skill lines and trees, and everything you can choose from. You can combine heavy armor with a sorcerer, you can have a 2H sword while being a rogue and so on, it's really cool. It really creates a lot of diversity. Anyone looking for anything new (and fresh) I would recommend it. I myself had fun playing it. Just because of the combat system, in depth skill lines and PvP. PvP was awesome! Edited by AssajiStarseed

For PvP players, sure, but not so much for PvE players.

The adventure zones sound interesting, but I have a hunch they'll just be dailies more or less.

Some people are clocking in around 100 hours to get to 1 to 50, without doing pvp or crafting or anything. Oh and remember level 50 players can go to the other 2 factions and do all the quests in those zones too. Which means a heck of a lot of content for PVE players. They also have veteran ranks and dungeons to do after level 50.

When I first played the beta it took me about 17 hours play time to get to level 10 because i was exploring and stuff because theres somuch to do. In this game it took me 1 hour to get to level 10 on korriban.

And i dont know much about adventure zones or what theyre like, they seem to be keeping it a secret.

Problem being that SWTOR actually feels like a Star Wars game. ESO lacks the atmosphere of an Elder Scrolls game. It feels like your typical sword and magic MMO with Elder Scrolls textures. It will most likely not hold the attention of Elder Scrolls players for long and with them being Zenimax's target audience.......doesn't look good.

....and this game held the attention of Star Wars fans?

For PvP players, sure, but not so much for PvE players.

The adventure zones sound interesting, but I have a hunch they'll just be dailies more or less.

It's sad that launch is just 2 weeks away and there is almost no information about end-game pve. If their pvp turns into yet another zergfest game then there's no way that it will compete with GW2's FREE version of the same thing. This game really is shaping up to be a real disappointment.

Good luck finding someone playing this game that isn't.

Wasnt my point. Many star wars fans left this game soon after launch is what im getting at. This game didnt hold their attention.

I'm pretty sure ESO will hold onto their fans for longer though.

Edited by Vallins

But you play swtor?

No it is not dead, far from it. Look the game has had some bad moments but by god they are trying to be better and the servers are still teaming with people and they ARE in fact supporting people so please take your doom and gloom somewhere else and enjoy ESO. I'm staying right here.