ESO Review... not looking good.

Eric_Riot

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it rather ironic that anyone playing this game has the nerve to criticize any other launching MMO considering the condition this game was in at launch...SWTOR was utterly miserable at launch. Give MMOs time...none are released in perfect condition.

TOR didn't have that bad of a launch. it had problems, sure - that's the thing about MMO's, they are ever evolving. but it was a decent launch as far as launches go.

that said, as far as ESO is concerned. I like Beta, personally. I had fun in it. but I still, to this day find it amusing and ironic that people claim that playing storylines of other 2 factions is considered a legitimate end game, and yet completely dismiss the fact that SWTOR has 8 character stories, and 2 faction stories to play through. oh.. is it becasue you can play it all on a single character? THAT's the difference? because otherwise, you cannot praise one game for the same thing you are ignoring, or criticizing in the other. (and personally, I plan on rolling multiple characters for multiple factions. cause I like alts and because there's not enough skill points in game to master all crafting professions on a single character without jeopardizing combat performance)

anyways. at this point, I personally couldn't care any less for reviews. they are always subjective and there's no guarantee that me and reviewer share the same preferences, so that my experience matches their own. I'll be buying ESO because I enjoyed my time in BETA (pre ordering it, because goddamn it, white horse). I kinda hope it goes buy to play to be perfectly honest. because I cannot see myself subscribing to it at this time and buy 2 play means I'll be able to continue to play it. eventually :p

that said, as far as ESO is concerned. I like Beta, personally. I had fun in it. but I still, to this day find it amusing and ironic that people claim that playing storylines of other 2 factions is considered a legitimate end game, and yet completely dismiss the fact that SWTOR has 8 character stories, and 2 faction stories to play through. oh.. is it becasue you can play it all on a single character? THAT's the difference? because otherwise, you cannot praise one game for the same thing you are ignoring, or criticizing in the other. (and personally, I plan on rolling multiple characters for multiple factions. cause I like alts and because there's not enough skill points in game to master all crafting professions on a single character without jeopardizing combat performance)

IMO there is no such thing as "legitimate" end game. Also, the opposing faction exploration approach TESO has is not like rolling an alt (it's more like a "new game +" mode), and is not the only end game activity. I believe there are some max level public dungeons, not to mention veteran modes for the already existing ones. And they also have adventure zones for large groups, though that is shrouded in mystery. Plus, you can continue "leveling" past max level (I think they have veteran levels or something) and you can still develop your untrained skills. All this is much more to my liking to traditional raiding + gear grinding, which to me is as appealing as a lathe to the crotch.

Otherwise I do agree with your post. It's worth the purchase, but I'm not sure yet if it's worth the sub. Maybe if the combat felt a bit more polished and the game had a more solid identity.

IMO there is no such thing as "legitimate" end game. Also, the opposing faction exploration approach TESO has is not like rolling an alt (it's more like a "new game +" mode), and is not the only end game activity. I believe there are some max level public dungeons, not to mention veteran modes for the already existing ones. And they also have adventure zones for large groups, though that is shrouded in mystery. Plus, you can continue "leveling" past max level (I think they have veteran levels or something) and you can still develop your untrained skills. All this is much more to my liking to traditional raiding + gear grinding, which to me is as appealing as a lathe to the crotch.

Otherwise I do agree with your post. It's worth the purchase, but I'm not sure yet if it's worth the sub. Maybe if the combat felt a bit more polished and the game had a more solid identity.

well, yes, I read about other end game options (and personally I do enjoy raiding+gear minmaxing very much, but to each their own, naturally ) I just think if we are going to include questing through the other factions into end game, then it doesn't make sense to turn around and exclude SWTOR's stories out of that equation. the fact that you cannot do so on the same character is basically semantics, as its the same type of content - playing through a faction/class story.

as for leveling past max level, as far as I read, there's a limited number of skill points you can get. other than actual leveling, you get them through discovery (if I were to compare it to SWTOR - I'd say its sorta like datacrons, though shards are not really the same other then having to discover and reach them aspect). and possibly a few other things, but there's still an end to them. so if someone like me wants to have a more complete (to me) experience if you will, alts are still going to be a must.

we'll see about the rest of the content. I'm reading very discouraging things about healing in ESO and as healing is my prefered role in MMO's group content? well... we shall see.

its worth it to me if only becasue that first month, I'm reasonably sure, I'm going to invest as many hours into ESO as I would into a newly released single player game, so... (that and I couldn't resist an allure of white horse. what? ) I treated GW2 much the same way (which is probably why I'm not nearly as disappointed with it as some other people, I got my basic money's worth out of it, anything else is a bonus)

I think its a decent game at minimum and surprisingly less buggy than I expected out of Bethesda/ES game (I know Zenimax, but some of the people overlap and all). I did get pulled into the story, and felt attached to the characters so that's a plus :)

Yet that is exactly what's happening with ESO. "It's too much mmo, not enough TES", "It's not an TES", "just another fantasy MMO with a TES skin". Yes ESO has its own set of gameplay issues, but that's not what's causing people to abandon that game. It's its lack of TES elements that's doing that. SWTOR was saved because of its dedicated fans. ESO will fail because of them.

That's because that small group of people see the game as "Skyrim Online" when they need to get their mind set on the game being an Elder Scrolls game but it's also an MMO. These people need to view the game as a spinoff and as an online RPG, that way, they will enjoy the game for what it IS rather than dislike it for what it's not.

Swtor was saved because of the cash shop. Eso will not (if ever) fail as hard as swtor did.

Edited by Vallins

That's because that small group of people see the game as "Skyrim Online" when they need to get their mind set on the game being an Elder Scrolls game but it's also an MMO. These people need to view the game as a spinoff and as an online RPG, that way, they will enjoy the game for what it IS rather than dislike it for what it's not.

Swtor was saved because of the cash shop. Eso will not (if ever) fail as hard as swtor did.

1. SWTOR didn't "fail"

2. no cash shop will retain players, reevaluating their strategies and how to continue develop the game - "saved" SWTOR

3. WHAT are you doing here? if you are so unhappy with this game that all you can muster is constant bitterness in every thread, aimed at everything bioware adds to TOR - WHY are you here? move on to the forums of the game that you actualy enjoy, you don't seem to be interested in success of this one. and its extremely off putting when you bash the game on this games forums in order to "make the upcoming game look better" newsflash? IT DOESN'T WORK. the more you bash SWTOR while trying to claim how much better ESO is, the less people want to listen, and the more likely they are to be predisposed to ESO negatively.

best way to turn people away from the game you like is to bash the game THEY like.

and no, your opinions are not objective critiques and your dismissal of people enjoying TOR as "mindless defenders" or whatever else you called them, only reduces your already nonexistent credibility.

get over it.

move on.

for our sakes and your own.

1. SWTOR didn't "fail"

2. no cash shop will retain players, reevaluating their strategies and how to continue develop the game - "saved" SWTOR

3. WHAT are you doing here? if you are so unhappy with this game that all you can muster is constant bitterness in every thread, aimed at everything bioware adds to TOR - WHY are you here? move on to the forums of the game that you actualy enjoy, you don't seem to be interested in success of this one. and its extremely off putting when you bash the game on this games forums in order to "make the upcoming game look better" newsflash? IT DOESN'T WORK. the more you bash SWTOR while trying to claim how much better ESO is, the less people want to listen, and the more likely they are to be predisposed to ESO negatively.

best way to turn people away from the game you like is to bash the game THEY like.

and no, your opinions are not objective critiques and your dismissal of people enjoying TOR as "mindless defenders" or whatever else you called them, only reduces your already nonexistent credibility.

get over it.

move on.

He's a blizzard employee that is trying to cause up a storm between fan communities.

Bioflop and his possé of Blizzard hit teams are working on both TESO and SWTOR forums.

They also started on in Wildstar forums as well.

They are trying to diss all these games from all forums, so ppl will think WoW is still hot excrement.

1. SWTOR didn't "fail"

It has failed at many things.

get over it.

move on.

Good lord you seem desperate. So defensive! Someone criticised your precious game and you spend 90% of your post complaining about it. Haha

Edited by Vallins

no, I don't think he's blizzard employee. just another typical internet warrior, who bashes and doesn't understand a concept of being able to enjoy more then one game at a time, being able to enjoy something while accepting its flawed, the concept that becasue of this pesky thing called personal preference - disliking something doesn't make it bad. bashing=/=criticizing. not that he's the only one either, (oh hey there Isebergy, posting your ESO sucks opinions because naturally your personal dislike = objective judgement)

I swear these people are like jealous exes who just cannot. let .go.

if I'm defensive it is becasue haters like you with your mudslinging and your permeating everything instead of just moving on and doing something positive? YOU do more to kill games then games themselves. you sour people on everything, the games you bash, the games you try to make look better through your bashing of its market competitors. YOU are the worst of MMO consumers, never happy, never satisfied. I guarantee that a month down the road? you will be slinging mud at ESO when it inevitably fails your overblown, unrealistic impossible to satisfy expectations.

I quite enjoy ESO and I'll be playing it but there are a number of oddly glaring flaws with it that shouldn't even be a problem and that makes me worry.

Things like: No previewing items before you buy them in shops or from PC's (hell, that was even in the single player ES games).

Very limited UI without alot of information that's needed, including wheter or not you are healing your friends in combat.

Almost all dungeons are not instanced and crawling with players even tho they are described in the quests as "unexplored and empty for centuries" so when you go in there you can just run through and beat on the boss while 10-15 other players are spamming on the boss as well. Takes the fun out of it and breaks immersion.

And another thing I find very very strange is that you cannot change your e-mail on your account. Not even if you contact customer support.

There are plenty of little things like this that you just go "whaaat?" about because they are such no-brainers that you shouldn't even encounter them in a modern MMO (or game even).

This makes me worry about the rest of the game. End game and the likes.

I'll still play it tho.

1. SWTOR didn't "fail"

get over it.

move on.

Give the new guy a break. He's only been here since Tuesday and is still trying to figure out what he can get away with. Edited by GalacticKegger

I find it rather ironic that anyone playing this game has the nerve to criticize any other launching MMO considering the condition this game was in at launch...SWTOR was utterly miserable at launch. Give MMOs time...none are released in perfect condition.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD GOD SOMEONE ACTUALLY SAID THE WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!

Yes everyone its true BioWare was forced by EA to release early! End of story! Thank you TUX!

And not to mention every MMO has its things it struggles with at first. :)

Give ESO a chance guys. God knows we gave SWTOR a chance! Look where we are now! Subscribers!

I know they will come around. Now I didn't play WOW when it came out because I was like 6. But I can imagine they had their obstacles.

Yall can join me for a little game play on ESO this summer. :)

May the Force be with you.

Edited by OrionLives
content

He's a blizzard employee that is trying to cause up a storm between fan communities.

Bioflop and his possé of Blizzard hit teams are working on both TESO and SWTOR forums.

They also started on in Wildstar forums as well.

They are trying to diss all these games from all forums, so ppl will think WoW is still hot excrement.

I pretty much agree. He is either doing it as part of his job, or he has some sort of mono-maniacal mental problem.

Either way, he is a one-note broken-record that you gain nothing by listening to after you've heard the first iteration.

ESO will do, guess what, the same thing almost all MMOs do: it will have a brief meteoric rise, with great numbers of new players! Then, after the free month is done, and for a couple months after, it will have an equally meteoric drop off. And then retain a much smaller, but adequate, number of players.

Like here. Like everywhere. It's no big secret or surprise.

Vallins can type as toxicly and as much as he wants, and it won't change a thing.

I quite enjoy ESO and I'll be playing it but there are a number of oddly glaring flaws with it that shouldn't even be a problem and that makes me worry.

Things like: No previewing items before you buy them in shops or from PC's (hell, that was even in the single player ES games).

Very limited UI without alot of information that's needed, including wheter or not you are healing your friends in combat.

Almost all dungeons are not instanced and crawling with players even tho they are described in the quests as "unexplored and empty for centuries" so when you go in there you can just run through and beat on the boss while 10-15 other players are spamming on the boss as well. Takes the fun out of it and breaks immersion.

And another thing I find very very strange is that you cannot change your e-mail on your account. Not even if you contact customer support.

There are plenty of little things like this that you just go "whaaat?" about because they are such no-brainers that you shouldn't even encounter them in a modern MMO (or game even).

This makes me worry about the rest of the game. End game and the likes.

I'll still play it tho.

I agree with most of what you said. It will come down to whats important to you as the game has many flaws. They might lose me if they add in arenas or other PvP they call "sport" due to the fact that Cyrodiil being the PvP focus and doing it right is that important to me. I also like the character building available and would hate to see smaller PvP put balancing that under a microscope.

It's sad that launch is just 2 weeks away and there is almost no information about end-game pve. If their pvp turns into yet another zergfest game then there's no way that it will compete with GW2's FREE version of the same thing. This game really is shaping up to be a real disappointment.

I have heard the GW2 pvp reference a lot and let me tell you anyone that really thinks they are even in the same ballpark doesn't understand open world pvp.

I went back and played GW2 this weekend just to see and compare because I had heard this comment over and over. Let me just say no way in hell does gw2 WvW hold a candle to ESO AvA. Even at GW2 launch the WvW doesn't hold candle to ESO AvA if you were looking at just "players in the zone".

The only comparable AvA, (and lets get real) any real comparison to ESO AvA is DAOC RvR. Even if you hate both games or love both games. That is the only game you can compare it too. They are about 85-90% the same type of feel.

PVE: They did talk about a week ago about the first major patch a month"ish" after launch being a big PVE patch for the raid guys etc. I am not into all that and I am not sure what they mean by that, but they need to not forget about the people that like raiding etc for sure.

Edited by Chapelcloth

It has failed at many things.

Good lord you seem desperate. So defensive! Someone criticised your precious game and you spend 90% of your post complaining about it. Haha

Sorry bub, but he's pretty much right on.

I agree with most of what you said. It will come down to whats important to you as the game has many flaws. They might lose me if they add in arenas or other PvP they call "sport" due to the fact that Cyrodiil being the PvP focus and doing it right is that important to me. I also like the character building available and would hate to see smaller PvP put balancing that under a microscope.

Shoddycast said there were rumors of arenas coming...

So I guess that sucks for you then.

(people have been asking for them tho)

Shoddycast said there were rumors of arenas coming...

So I guess that sucks for you then.

(people have been asking for them tho)

It would be stupid to add it, but I wouldn't be surprised. People ask for it, then when they get it, they start complaining because certain classes do better than others given the mechanics of it, and they want to be "competitive", and have ranked. Next thing you know, they start balancing PvP around the crap.

Along with that, since arenas are usually easy to access by just queing up, it makes it harder to have more meaningful PvP that requires a time investment and large organization when you can just jump in and death match where ever you may be. It makes the meta dumber. I mean why go where I will have to ride 20 minutes on horse back to a fight, even if it is awesome when I can just click a freaking button, fight for 5 minutes, then get some sort of reward on the way to some carrot on a stick?

PVE: They did talk about a week ago about the first major patch a month"ish" after launch being a big PVE patch for the raid guys etc. I am not into all that and I am not sure what they mean by that, but they need to not forget about the people that like raiding etc for sure.

If this is true that bothers me. I hope they realize that hardcore raiders will race through the content and in a matter of days be at level cap for raiding. If it is going to take them a few more weeks for raid content the raiders will Howl with anger and not stick around the game for very long. The game really is shaping up to be a primarily pvp focused game.

I dont trust reviews made by a single person . It may biased or may not be their cup of tea. I prefer reading comments under that review. In the given review's comment section there are over 300 comments from random people mostly saying game is below average except pvp area. There are a couple of people in comments section supporting game hard who registered a day ago. I cant take their opinions objectively since its obvious that they came only for supporting after they read the review. They re making mistake , creating a sense like the game needs their flame to be good. This behaviour creates opposite reaction for most people. Letting people decide themselves and respect others opinion is the best way.

For me after reading lots of negative comments from different sources , i wont be risking my money for a pvp area only. I'll wait for more mature knowledge about the game after release. Again blind defenders and doomsayers push neutral people like me away from that game.

I tried the beta three times as a healer. There is no visual information as to how much you healed for, when your hots finish, or even an indicator if your heal actually healed your intended target!! Plus, the healing spells I had all emanate from me, not my intended target, so I had to run up and be close to my groups in order to be sure the heals worked. Plus the tooltips for the healing did not mention a range or anything from which the spell can be cast, which doesn't really matter because you have no way to tell how far away you are from a target. Crazy.

If you don't get it, you don't get it.

My 'The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition - Retail Edition PC/MAC' shipped today from Gamestop. Was fortunate to have played 7 weekends of beta dating back to last August, and pre-ordered it on the off chance that the game would ship with much needed improvements. It's not. Was really hoping it would be my new sword & board MMO, but it has even less features than SWTOR shipped with. ESO's crafting system is pretty robust, but I won't pay $15 a month to craft. I have a garage workshop for that.

So I'll likely have it up on Ebay by the weekend. Not even taking it out of the shipping container.

Edited by GalacticKegger

My 'The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition - Retail Edition PC/MAC' shipped today from Gamestop. Was fortunate to have played 7 weekends of beta dating back to last August, and pre-ordered it on the off chance that the game would ship with much needed improvements. It's not. Was really hoping it would be my new sword & board MMO, but it has even less features than SWTOR shipped with. ESO's crafting system is pretty robust, but I won't pay $15 a month to craft. I have a garage workshop for that.

So I'll likely have it up on Ebay by the weekend. Not even taking it out of the shipping container.

You do?

Aw man, I wish I had that so I could build my own lightsaber :D (and Mandalorian Armour, but I'd need an english wheel for that)

If this is true that bothers me. I hope they realize that hardcore raiders will race through the content and in a matter of days be at level cap for raiding. If it is going to take them a few more weeks for raid content the raiders will Howl with anger and not stick around the game for very long. The game really is shaping up to be a primarily pvp focused game.

Eso pve is completely different than traditional trinity games like Swtor or wow, im not sure I like it yet but it is definatly interesting and way more difficult and skill dependent than those other mmos combat.

As for raiding theyre doing something totally different too, theyre called trials and are 24 man timed dungeon crawls with limited reses and a leader board. They also have group only high level adventure zones. But only tme will tell if they put out the pve content at a decent pace or if they start bring out new pve content once a year like swtor ended up doing.

As for the op, that review is idiotic. I played in three open betas and was pretty meh about the game, in my last beta I finaly went into cyrodil and was floored. Since early access started ive only been more and more impressed. (and mmos don't impress me easily)

Edited by Mallorik

But you play swtor?

Don't get me wrong swtor is not the worst mmo ever but it is the most disappointing.

It doesn't really matter how bad ESO is it can't be any worse then swtor right? I mean the pvp in ESO alone has already given the game more lifetime then swtor did at launch.

At this point swtor is pretty much dead, servers are all under populated and can't support player base, the dev cycles are beyond glacial and all new features are made around a cash shop? I understand peoples love for the star wars universe but you'd think there would be a point where they realize they are suckers.

My God, I'm sick of TESO Defenders and the Zenimaxthesda-drones...

I mean honestly, can't defend the game you enjoy (that isn't even released yet but you LOVE LOVE LOVE it lol) so you attack TOR?

Edited by VulgarMercurius