Why Bioware should never do another Double XP.

TylerAcalan

Was there a double XP event recently that I am unaware of? Otherwise Im not sure why you would be feeling the effects of a crap healer now.

And yes I agree with others, this was an issue of a crappy player doing crappy things. We see it all the time in PUG groups, which is all I do.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense. Bad players will be bad regardless. Double xp does not make players bad, bad playing makes players bad.

The awfuls are always there. But there's also direct correlation. Maybe it makes them come out of their holes.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started playing and rolling through group finder, everything was nice and stable.

People knew their roles and queued for them nice an proper like. If someone was bad, you could at least fight your way though the FP. Instead of a nice easy run you got a grueling fight that was somewhat bearable. And even sometimes an enjoyable challenge.

One year and three double XP events later, I see a high group turnover rate in which group members are replaced an average of two to three times. You get people who queue for incorrect group roles making everything next to unplayable because of whatever sad excuse for a reason they can come up with.

Bads may be bads but at least you could bear with them.

New Tactical FP opens up a whole new can of worms but at least you don't have to worry about group composition.

Makes me wonder what everything would have been like without the option for rapid increase. People so desperate to get to the endgame they don't bother to use the journey to get a handle on things.

When I first started playing and rolling through group finder, everything was nice and stable.

... stuff ...

Makes me wonder what everything would have been like without the option for rapid increase. People so desperate to get to the endgame they don't bother to use the journey to get a handle on things.

I'm curious, how much time do you spend trying to help these new players?

When I first hit endgame I was a **** player. Completely worthless. Luckily, I ran into someone who was patient, gave me advice, and helped me out. I've since become very good at endgame, and whenever I run into a new player in a pug I do my best to pay it forward.

I've run into plenty of players that weren't good. But only rarely run into a player that wouldn't listen to advice.

Its not the double xp its the whole dumbed down leveling process. If they are going to push people through to level 55 without teaching them anything then they need to start putting qualifiers on the GF.

Make them go through the ropes starting with the easiest fps. Then they can get gear, learn their classes and not piss off unsuspecting groups and get discouraged themselves.

MMOS were dumbed down to get the I want it now ADD crowd, but its a slippery slope and swtor fell off the cliff. Now leveling is so fast and so easy new people don't learn anything and nobody is invested in their characters. That doesn't make a very healthy mmo community.

Edited by Mallorik

I'm curious, how much time do you spend trying to help these new players?

When I first hit endgame I was a **** player. Completely worthless. Luckily, I ran into someone who was patient, gave me advice, and helped me out. I've since become very good at endgame, and whenever I run into a new player in a pug I do my best to pay it forward.

I've run into plenty of players that weren't good. But only rarely run into a player that wouldn't listen to advice.

1) Since when am I obligated to help anyone? Especially because there are soooooo many resources out there, easily available, for them to help themselves. A "new player" who is a good gamer will know to use them, know why they should use them, and do so smartly.

1a) By the same token, I haven't any problem helping newbs. We were all newbs once. The problem here is not newbs, it is noobs/n00bs. They refuse to accept help, or to even acknowledge that they need it, or that the blame for their poor performance lies with no-one but themselves.

That is the real problem, and that this game all-but-explicitly caters to same, and this has nothing to do with double, triple, or even sextuple-umpty-able XP.

That Lightning Sorc. who queued as heals, and then doesn't cast so much as his instant self-only heal?

That 1337-speak/all-caps shouting piece of freeb trailer-trash who "needs" on everything --yes, even the green vendor-crud-- whilst chain-pulling the whole damned map down on you? (And then blaming your Merc-healer for the wipes, 'natch. Because if in doubt, it's always the Merc's fault, regardless of which role we are. Just ask 1337 freeb-hero there, he'll tell you aaaaaaaaalll about it! :mad:)

That "tank" in PvP damager-gear who doesn't know what a taunt is, and then blames the Enhanced Duneclaw wipe on DPS (both in augmented BiS) not doing enough DPS?

You're going to run into these idiots no matter what, but as someone above said, the only difference Double XP makes is that you might see more of them, sooner.

This game holds the hands of bads.

That is the real problem.

Edited by midianlord

To be fair, Esseles and Hammer Station are rather tame mechanics-wise. Athiss has quite a bit of wall-hugging/skipping that some players aren't familiar with IMO. I've been in quite a few groups that don't communicate which strategy that they're going to use which causes wipes.

This to me seems to have nothing to do with Double-xp weekends and more to do with someone not knowing the FP and/or having their chat turned off.

Just my .02

I agree...bads will be bad. Some will learn, some won't because they don't care or are incapable.

I've had similar experiences in lower-level flashpoints with tanks and ended up having my tank comp tank it no problem, which I think is even sadder than the healer example.

lets be fair. in lower level flash points many tanks dont have the tools or gear to actually tank anything while companions do have those things.

lets be fair. in lower level flash points many tanks dont have the tools or gear to actually tank anything while companions do have those things.

Very true. You don't get taunt or threat generating abilities of any impact right out of the gate. I would argue that it isn't until your late 20's that you can actually call yourself a tank.

I wonder if the same can be said for heals?

Very true. You don't get taunt or threat generating abilities of any impact right out of the gate. I would argue that it isn't until your late 20's that you can actually call yourself a tank.

I wonder if the same can be said for heals?

On my Sage, I didn't feel like a healer until I hit 22, and got Rejuvenate and no-CD Force Armor.

On my Operative felt like a crappy healer until I hit 30 and unlocked Surgical Probe. ;)

I sort of agree with the OP. No, no, hear me out.

If BioWare were to implement a character perk to grant a character Double XP, they could stop offering Double XP weekends.

We could buy the perk on the characters we want to use it on and that would be that. No more wishing they'd hurry up and do another one. No more trying to figure out how to balance it with family over a holiday because they seem to pick a lot of holidays. Just 2xEXP, full-time, all the time.

It could be a perk much like the ones they nickel-and-dime us on now for space or exploration or class missions or whatever, but it would actually be effective and impactful. Heck, charge me 1,000,000 credits or 750 cartel coins a character. That's well worth it.

I am running out of alts I want to get to 55....I guess that is one reason to never have double xp weekends again...uhm. i dunno. OP's little sob story wasn't very relevant to the topic. Edited by Vinak

I sort of agree with the OP. No, no, hear me out.

If BioWare were to implement a character perk to grant a character Double XP, they could stop offering Double XP weekends.

We could buy the perk on the characters we want to use it on and that would be that. No more wishing they'd hurry up and do another one. No more trying to figure out how to balance it with family over a holiday because they seem to pick a lot of holidays. Just 2xEXP, full-time, all the time.

It could be a perk much like the ones they nickel-and-dime us on now for space or exploration or class missions or whatever, but it would actually be effective and impactful. Heck, charge me 1,000,000 credits or 750 cartel coins a character. That's well worth it.

No, no, no, NO!

And, no.

You level bloody fast in this game as it is.

IMHO, at some points at least, maybe a little too fast, and certainly much too easily.