[OFFICIAL] - No server forums will be implemented

LoL-K-Noob

Seems like a horrible, lazy, cheap way to go. Thinking about it is making me feel all disgruntled again. I don't need BW to be my freaking babysitter. Server forums are where our communities are built, especially our RP communities. :mad: Edited by belialle

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a horrible, lazy, cheap way to go. Thinking about it is making me feel all disgruntled again. I don't need BW to be my freaking babysitter. Server forums are where our communities are built, especially our RP communities. :mad:

I agree with this.

I don't think they realize that server forums encourage community. They are a good place for people who may not know each other to interact. What a shame really. Such an easy thing to do and it would enhance the gaming experience.

Good old EA must be pulling the strings. No server forums is lame.

Not to mention, there isn't even a search option.

Yep, they are going total cheap route for max profit I guess.

I can't honestly name an MMO ever that did not have server specific server by server forums, even cheapo F2Ps have em and they really love to rip people off....

you can already see they are taking tips from warhammer, they had a divide and rule mentality where by separating community's meant people could not communicate with how unahappy they were with the shoddy game or server population and clearly this is being passed onto bioware to a lesser extent but still its fairly pathetic not to have server forums :rolleyes:

"Generally speaking, server forums for many MMOs tend to be largely un-moderated and can become unpleasant to visit."

Yeah, because these forums are sooo pleasant.

God forbid someone getting their feelwings hurt because a bad man on the internets posts someting they don't like.

The real reason: We are lazy here at Bioware... as always.

Honestly, I never cared or bothered to visit my server forum (in WoW). Guild recruitments don't interest me and some unknown "achivments" by apparent famous guilds of said server are - for me - as interesting as the tragic fate of a bag of rice in China. Heck, I don't even know 99 % of the "pro" guilds or similar. That being said, there's nontheless no real harm in having such a forum. Don't like, don't use it - it's as simple as that.

Probably a bad move for the short term community appeal in my eyes.

At the moment the general forums are full of two extremes all prattling at each other about why the other is 100% wrong and doesn't have a single point, and whilst shard sub-forums wouldn't be completely immune from all that crapola, they would have at least offered a chance for some sense of actual communication in a friendly manner and made the games community appeal a whole lot more then the unmoderated flame mess it is at the moment.

Initially beyond the short term it will likely be a reduced problem for the time being as those who are not satisfied with what's on offer move on to other games (and hopefully with no active sub find they can not post any attempts to drag on disgruntled drama).

But in the long run I think the decision will come bite EA on their behind as the community at large will never really be as effective a retention keeper as making forum visitors feel like they actually have a 'home' on these forums full of familiar faces they meet on a daily/weekly basis in game.

Can see it almost certainly causing them to lose more players when (and it is a when not if) they begin to close down shards and offer transfers or merges, as the feeling of a unified shard community keeping together during the move and ensuring as many as possible move to the same shards can help make the feeling of "Oh crap, does this mean the games dead?" less daunting for some I should suspect.

Edited by Tikigit

Very bad move if you ask me. Server boards build community.

Now you can tell ppl to do it themselves with some lame excuses, but we expect some service for paying €14/month!!

Tbh i don't think it's BW being lazy, more like EA being cheap.. yet again :(

shame

This will cost them subscriptions in the long run and could potentially threaten the RP community. Terrible terrible terrible decision, it's the most basic of mmo survival features to try and build community together. That entire article was the biggest load of PR BS i've ever read.. pull your fingers out bioware, take a look at how people's "unofficial server forums" are going.. it's a F-A-I-L.

I've lost faith in BW's ability to handle an MMO anyway. Fantastic single player game with semi decent warzones and the flashpoints aren't bad but so many little decisions like this is having a huge effect on the bigger picture for me.

NO server forums will cost subs? Are your serious? People think every decision they don't like will cost subs.

ugh.

I personally don't think its such a big deal, I've never used server forums...

HOWEVER

A friend I spent a great deal of time convincing to join SWTOR is already threatening to quit due to the lack of three features: Server Forums, guild search, and Dungeon Finder. I tried to tell him, "its not a big deal" or "its a new mmo, they will have it in the future im sure" but he just says "those features are BASIC in any mmo, don't tell me otherwise, wow has that stuff, rift had it on day 1, there's no reason not to have it and i won't pay a subscription fee for a single player game. SWTOR doesn't feel like an mmo without those features."

I'm at a loss as to what to tell him. He wants to join a guild to make it "feel like an mmo" but is distressed by the difficulty of doing so. I'll keep playing either way, but I'd rather do so with my friend... So, for the sake of friendship, add these features.

I don't get it!? No LFG Tool because they're trying to promote server community (which I think is Horse ****) and no server forums because ??? They DONT want to promote server community? It doesn't make sense.

I imagine this decision was driven primarily out of a desire to murky the waters of players trying to determine the faction balance on various servers.

Once some perceived imbalance is made aware it only becomes worse, not better. Most people want to join the zerg, not fight it.

Server specific forums would make it too easy to get a feel who the dominant faction on each server was (Or to be more specific, to what greater or lesser degree the Empire outnumbered the Republic).

I don't know why this decision is a surprise to anybody. This game continues to be a single player RPG with a smattering of poorly impelemented MMO devices. The lack of server forums is entirely consistent with their opposition to forming any sense of in-game community.