I've noticed a problemmatic.. 'tactic' that gunships have begun to adopt.

Twilightbourne

Note, I've only seen it on the shipyards map... but here is the gist of the tactic.

Step one: Play a gunship on republic side. (imp side has an obstruction that makes this less effective.)

Step two: Fly only a short distance away from the spawn point and park.. just close enough to have at least half of capture point B in range... while close to the defensive range of the spawn point's turrets.

Step three: Whenever you get attacked, fly toward the defensive embrace of the spawn point's turrets. Let them kill your attackers.

Bonus step, have another gunship parked further away, deep inside the defensive area.. to shoot anyone who comes after you. Therefore making it very difficult to touch either gunship.

Seriously... this needs fixing. I understand the need to prevent 'spawn camping.' but you should at least make it impossible for someone to snipe from inside that area. (or levy a penalty?)

I agree with this observation, There needs to be a way of discouraging this tactic with out making the spawn point so far away that it takes the GS half the fight to get in range of a node.

Maybe make the maps a little bigger and increase engine power/speed/boost by 75% for 3 seconds after spawn only??

Edited by RiVaN_

Conisdering its only viable on the one map for the one faction.. I think the best course of action would either be to A) disable to ability to fire at enemies while within the firing range of the turrets (optionally making them impossible to damage while in that range will prevent counter sniping.. lets call it the defense shield 'buff/debuff'?)

Or B) Put an object in front of the spawn point like they did the imperials!!! :(

Bonus step, have another gunship parked further away, deep inside the defensive area.. to shoot anyone who comes after you. Therefore making it very difficult to touch either gunship.

Seriously... this needs fixing. I understand the need to prevent 'spawn camping.' but you should at least make it impossible for someone to snipe from inside that area. (or levy a penalty?)

Layered defense. Nice! Good to see people sometimes work together than the usual solo pug crap.

I understand your frustration and wanting to remove the turrets. However lets be honest if they removed them then you would be complaining that the enemy is spawn camping your ship. The best thing to do against those other Gunships is get your Gunships to shoot it down. Playing as a team will cause a lot of people who use shortcuts to get killed. Just saying.

I see Imps doing this all the time, and have since a day or two into GSF. The half second longer it takes Imps to get around an obstruction if they position poorly so it's a problem doesn't make it some big advantage for one side.

I apologize in advance all, I just woke up and haven't had my coffee.

"Stop complaining about the other teams tactics. I and many other players do not complain about these things, we find ways around them. Stop demanding changes to "protect you" and figure out how you can counter the tactic. I'll give you a hint: The person positing about ship switching was on the right track. And the person who mentioned working with your team to counter the tactic, was also on the right track."

I have never encountered an enemy tactic I could not counter. Stop complaining that your lack of tact or the fact that you get ganked means the game needs a change.

Side Note: I do support the other thread about Gunship Ion Blasts applying full debuff with a "Love tap" Shot. I imagine once this is fixed, you will see less of these gunships.

Edited by Cashal

Ran into this a couple of times today. Yes, it is annoying. But since kills aren't the goal, just let them run. You're supposed to be taking or defending the nodes. Them running away is as good as killing them. Either way, they aren't there to interfere with the real goal.

Ran into this a couple of times today. Yes, it is annoying. But since kills aren't the goal, just let them run. You're supposed to be taking or defending the nodes. Them running away is as good as killing them. Either way, they aren't there to interfere with the real goal.

While I agree with you completely in principle, in practice this highlights a problem with scoring and rewarding gameplay in GSF. Simply harassing gunships that exploit the turret boundary and not killing them does not net you any medals or requisition. You are way out of range to be considered defending or attacking a node, and you are also very close to a very dangerous invisible line. Not to mention that the second you turn around to run away from the turrets he will blast you from behind. While your comment makes a valid point, I still think this is a silly tactic and should be discouraged.

In my opinion, once you leave the safety of the spawn you should not be able to re-acquire it. This is done with geometry in the ground pvp game, but it is difficult in space. I don't know how you solve the problem from a lore standpoint but simply making the area off limits to all players who haven't spawned would be ideal from a mechanical standpoint.

I also observed this last days and it is very difficult to counter. As soon as you give up chasing them they will recharge their engines and come back, using barrel roll they can quickly come back and pick off enemy ships trying to capture satelite B again. Rinse and repeat.

Of course i tried staying on the safe side of sat B but that means sacrificing mobility and thus you get easy pickings for enemy close range ships.

This does not involve any "tactics" but it is a more "cowardish" aproach as you get the chance to damage/kill enemies with relatively low risk of succesfull retaliation. The team using this aproach will have some significant edge on capturing/defending objective sat B as even top guns are barely able to do anything against this.

And to all people stating "teamplay wins everytime" i just gotta say not everyone here is in a guild with members grouping up to do GSF matches and using teamspeak, i'd say i am more of a casual player not being able to use voicecomms etc on a regular base and that's maybe 80% of the playerbase if i had to guess.

Sometimes i try using OPS chat to warn ppl or coordinate things but it honestly doesn't do much good most of the time, apart from not being able to steer your ship while typing.

Don't get me wrong, i will still play my matches and give my best every round and enjoy it, but this gunship "tactic" just seems cowardish.

show me a counter I spend the whole match hunting 1 gunship. He burns the turrets from edge of spawn and when I charge him and get him down below half he dives dive in spawn and heals up while I have to run for cover. This tactic( more like cheat) gets him no less then 13 kills and 10 medals every match. of course his gun ship is maxed on master from this and is very hard to hit hard enough. when using another gunship against it he Just ion cannon and then slugs you while you stand stupid.

SHow me a counter or ban for exploit

Maybe have some sort of 5K meter barrier beyond the edge of your spawn point's turrets that prevent gunships from entering sniper mode (also within the spawn point so someone can't retreat in and then turn to snipe)? (to keep people from thinking it's a bug have a message pop up like "There's no room for cowards in [squadron name], get in there and engage the enemy!"

Also I think adding a little warning (be it co-pilot or HUD alarm) that warns you when you get within 2500 meters of the outer range of enemy spawn turrets. That way it'd be much harder to actually get shot by them since it wouldn't be the first warning you have that you're in range is when they light you up.

show me a counter I spend the whole match hunting 1 gunship. He burns the turrets from edge of spawn and when I charge him and get him down below half he dives dive in spawn and heals up while I have to run for cover. This tactic( more like cheat) gets him no less then 13 kills and 10 medals every match. of course his gun ship is maxed on master from this and is very hard to hit hard enough. when using another gunship against it he Just ion cannon and then slugs you while you stand stupid.

SHow me a counter or ban for exploit

Tactic -

Use your gunship - And sap him with Ion Cannon. He will have no weapon energy to fire or boosters to run.

Even if he makes it back to safety. . .

You win even if he runs back to safety . . . Because the objective is to win the map and sats, not killing people

Edited by Cashal

I vote giving people who spend more than 10 seconds in the proximity of their spawn-ships, or re-enter the spawnzone at any given time, the "Chickun" debuff, which makes them visible for everyone on the radar, regardless of range, or dampening, as well as a bonus yellow wings mark on their target-frame.:D Edited by Helig