I am a pilot, I NEED A JOYSTICK

DarthKurt

Mice are not made for 3d movement, they have 2 axis. This game has 3d movement, yaw, pitch and roll. I cant put it into any more simpler terms that that. If you cant understand it then this is probably not a conversation for you.

Well said.

Please add joystick support. If you want to stick with a mouse and keyboard then more power to you.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played hundreds of flight sims ( GSF is NOT a flight sim) with keyboard and mouse.

Good for you. Keep the mouse and keyboard for yourself. Bring in the joystick support for those who prefer that. Is it that hard to understand?

It's painfully obvious to anyone who plays GSF that some people are very good at "point and click" flying.

If the game had support for joysticks, it would even out the playing field. It would allow people who may not be good with point and click to go toe to toe with people who are, making the battles more challenging for the people who are just breezing through it.

I see only good things for all concerned.

Having options available to control your ship the way you feel comfortable would make GSF a very much more worthwhile way to pass the time.

I fail to understand how you intent to Play a Point and click designed game with a Joystick

if they add it okay but you will just suck even more ...

Won't know until you try. If all they do is allow joystick/gamepad binding then maybe it won't be so great. But if they add a separate setting, ie. cockpit view, then I'm sure it would be an excellent option.

Agreed with OP. This game needs a joystick and then maybe have a little nubblebit on top to move your fire cursor around a bit, as SEPARATE control.

It's a good start though. Mouse and keyboard is not right as the only input, period. It's not as precise or as good, and joysticks are realistic and better.

My buddy who still talks about X-Wing and Tie Fighter, his FIRST question when I tried to hook him on the game was the joystick question. I doubt he's alone in that.

Agreed with OP. This game needs a joystick and then maybe have a little nubblebit on top to move your fire cursor around a bit, as SEPARATE control.

It's a good start though. Mouse and keyboard is not right as the only input, period. It's not as precise or as good, and joysticks are realistic and better.

My buddy who still talks about X-Wing and Tie Fighter, his FIRST question when I tried to hook him on the game was the joystick question. I doubt he's alone in that.

Same thing from every one of my friends who don't already play this game. No flight sticks, not interested. Even of the few left who still play this game, only one made it past 2 days because of the controls, and then he stopped after the first week.

Edited by Hambunctious

Definitely not alone. It's just silly that it wasn't implemented already

I suppose they can do what they want, but unless they take out mouse controls, joystick users will be at a disadvantage.

But that's the problem for joystick users- not to mention, for someone who isn't good with mouse controls in space combat the joystick will be better for them.

This is like the clicker vs keybinder argument- sure, binds are superior, but people who click can still play the game. Maybe a joystick player will never be in the top ten for space combat- but they'll be able to enjoy the GAME, a concept anyone saying no to joystick support clearly can't understand. Heaven forbid someone like something you don't, that has nothing to do with you.

My Mouse is on the thumb of my Saitek Throttle... to bad it won't work with this game.

I can make all the target selectors and weapons work on the joystick buttons, but the game will not see the joystick.

SUCK

Every Star Wars Fighter Game in the past worked with a joystick. All other space games worthy of mention (insert list) also support joysticks.

I'm really disappointed in the developers for such an obvious mistake. If I was in charge, heads would roll...

Edited by DarthKurt

DROP IT.

This game was not built for joystick support. Get over it.

I have been a joystick flight user for sims for many years and i can see that this game is perfectly fine and playable without one.

This isn't battlefield, This isn't Arma, and this is most certainly not Microsoft flight simulator.

Get over it.

DROP IT.

no u

An obvious mistake that the devs can correct.

Get over it.

Obviously good feature is obviously good. No one is going to drop it or get over it, because it's a clear desired and correct thing to add to the game.

My Mouse is on the thumb of my Saitek Throttle... to bad it won't work with this game.

I can make all the target selectors and weapons work on the joystick buttons, but the game will not see the joystick.

SUCK

Every Star Wars Fighter Game in the past worked with a joystick. All other space games worthy of mention (insert list) also support joysticks.

I'm really disappointed in the developers for such an obvious mistake. If I was in charge, heads would roll...

When I was playing GSF on PTS i agreed with you, but after having played quite a bit of Starfighter now I think that I would still like to try a game pad, but have no desire to attempt to use my Flight Sim stick and throttle. I think the turning and aiming mechanic would be very difficult with a "good" joystick. I still think that using a game pad would be fun, but as my skill with the mouse and aiming reticle has improved I much prefer the M-KB controls that BioWare created here.

You don't need a joystick, or a gamepad.

Personally, I applaud the developers for not including such options in what is supposed to be a MMORPG PvP minigame. By not including these options, they have put regular users who are not willing to spend bookoos of money on gaming gear on the same footing as everyone else. I understand your frustration if you have poured money into joysticks and gamepads and the like, but there are plenty of other games on which you can use those devices. For me, who mostly plays during the few free moments I have between work and home life, and who has better things to spend money on, I rather enjoy having a level playing field in an online game for once.

DROP IT.

I have been a joystick flight user for sims for many years and i can see that this game is perfectly fine and playable without one.

This isn't battlefield, This isn't Arma, and this is most certainly not Microsoft flight simulator.

Get over it.

You have no idea what you are talking about, why don't you read some before you post.

Patch X.Y - Joystick support implemented

Forums post X.Y - "Joysticks are at a disadvantage, HOW DARE THEY CATER TO THE MAJORITY, joysticks should be better than mouse, its ruining my flight experience"

mark my words

So you think joystick users will complain that mouse people are beating them?

When back here in reality the reason devs didnt add joysticks is because they don't want joystick users to stomp mouse people into the dirt.

Anyone with any experience knows keyboarders are always the ones complaining, and in some flight games with both control options, they actually give turning advantages to keyboard users. And after some study the newer flight games realize that the reason js people stomp mouse people so bad is because js people are just better at flight games and they like them, that's why they own a js.

Edited by Mallorik

I am a pilot, I need a joystick.

You don't fly planes with a mouse... why would I want to fly a star fighter with one ?

PLEASE add joystick support.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but...this is just a game. I don't shoot weapons with a mouse irl either, nor do I right click on objects to interact with them. You're playing a PC game and using PC peripherals to interact with the game world...shocking huh?!

Contact your joystick manufacturer and figure out how to bind your keys via them.

Patch X.Y - Joystick support implemented

Forums post X.Y - "Joysticks are at a disadvantage, HOW DARE THEY CATER TO THE MAJORITY, joysticks should be better than mouse, its ruining my flight experience"

mark my words

So true lol