Space PvP Shout-outs!

Hanak

I know that now, though I actually thought he was you at first ;D I was trying to keep his identity secret :p

I view him as slightly more lethal than you, but you as much harder to pin down and kill.

Scrab doesn't really care for his KDR :p Though he told me he was impersonating me for about a week, I wasn't even angry.

Edited by tommmsunb

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back on topic, I want to give shout-outs to both Mas'ya and Vij'n (not sure if I spelled those names right). They both have been fielding some awesome Strikes lately.

A few days ago, I thought I had Vij'n dead to rights in a TDM--he ran to an asteroid, then came to a stop. As I rounded the asteroid and lined up my killing shot, he retro'd behind me and obliterated my behind. It was glorious :)

I've only just started flying over here again for the occasional daily and weekly, but I guess I've got a few shout outs, even though I don't really know anyone over here yet (and I'd assume all the shoutouts I'm making have been made umpteen times in the past...).

Toxic'Wraith (I think that's the name...) - Had him once on my team in a DOM, and once in a wargame DOM on the opposing team. I got him once when he wasn't looking, but he blistered me the 1 time we went head to head, and while I got him in kills when we were on the same team, he had me by a mile in damage. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of his 12 assists were kill steals by me, since we seemed to be in the same area a lot. Well played, sir.

Renegade - Think he was teamed up with a few people, making chasing him kind of difficult, but he was definitely impressionable. Not sure if he had the DO, but he got me twice with 1-shots in a TDM (or maybe he hit me at the same time someone else did, but it was close enough not to matter... And it was close enough to back to back to make me think DO was involved, though). I did manage to get him and Rhint a few times in the DOM match I played against them, though I was sad we lost. I believe it was only decided by ~40 points, so at least there's small consolation in that...

Rhint - People were saying before the match to watch out for him. I didn't have too much direct contact, but the numbers at the end don't really lie. And the couple times I did run into him were enough to convince me he's elusive in a GS. He stayed alive long enough for others to get me.

Friendlygurl - I don't think he/she is the friendliest forum entity (if it is who I think it is), but with that said, he pulled one of the sickest timing maneuvers on me that I've ever seen, and can definitely fly. So personal feelings aside, I think it's only right to give him his due. That said, looking forward to seeing him out there again.

And as a somewhat general comment... I've got to hand it to Rhint, Renegade, and whoever else was on their team for the one deathmatch yesterday... It's been a long time since I felt that helpless in a TDM, even flying solo. I had to really work for my 5 kills, 6 deaths, and 30k... You all seemed to work quite well together. Every time I went after the funship brigade, one of the others would notice, and pick me off in the chase, or I'd have to peel to the handful of fighters running interference for them, which had the effect of setting me up for the target I just left.

I've only played a handful of matches on this alt since I originally flew over there months and months ago, and I'm sure there are lots of really good pilots I haven't run into yet, and I would imagine some on my teams that I should have paid more attention to for naming purposes, but I still tend to notice the opposition more than my allies. There's still something about that big red "X has killed you" emote that kind of grabs my attention.

Edited by nyghtrunner

I've only just started flying over here again for the occasional daily and weekly, but I guess I've got a few shout outs, even though I don't really know anyone over here yet (and I'd assume all the shoutouts I'm making have been made umpteen times in the past...).

Toxic'Wraith (I think that's the name...) - Had him once on my team in a DOM, and once in a wargame DOM on the opposing team. I got him once when he wasn't looking, but he blistered me the 1 time we went head to head, and while I got him in kills when we were on the same team, he had me by a mile in damage. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of his 12 assists were kill steals by me, since we seemed to be in the same area a lot. Well played, sir.

Renegade - Think he was teamed up with a few people, making chasing him kind of difficult, but he was definitely impressionable. Not sure if he had the DO, but he got me twice with 1-shots in a TDM (or maybe he hit me at the same time someone else did, but it was close enough not to matter... And it was close enough to back to back to make me think DO was involved, though). I did manage to get him and Rhint a few times in the DOM match I played against them, though I was sad we lost. I believe it was only decided by ~40 points, so at least there's small consolation in that...

Rhint - People were saying before the match to watch out for him. I didn't have too much direct contact, but the numbers at the end don't really lie. And the couple times I did run into him were enough to convince me he's elusive in a GS. He stayed alive long enough for others to get me.

Friendlygurl - I don't think he/she is the friendliest forum entity (if it is who I think it is), but with that said, he pulled one of the sickest timing maneuvers on me that I've ever seen, and can definitely fly. So personal feelings aside, I think it's only right to give him his due. That said, looking forward to seeing him out there again.

And as a somewhat general comment... I've got to hand it to Rhint, Renegade, and whoever else was on their team for the one deathmatch yesterday... It's been a long time since I felt that helpless in a TDM, even flying solo. I had to really work for my 5 kills, 6 deaths, and 30k... You all seemed to work quite well together. Every time I went after the funship brigade, one of the others would notice, and pick me off in the chase, or I'd have to peel to the handful of fighters running interference for them, which had the effect of setting me up for the target I just left.

I've only played a handful of matches on this alt since I originally flew over there months and months ago, and I'm sure there are lots of really good pilots I haven't run into yet, and I would imagine some on my teams that I should have paid more attention to for naming purposes, but I still tend to notice the opposition more than my allies. There's still something about that big red "X has killed you" emote that kind of grabs my attention.

No I'm not the friendliest forum entity. I'm quite a lot nicer in conversation than I am on the forums. I just don't like forums and interacting on them makes me quite a lot meaner.

No I'm not the friendliest forum entity. I'm quite a lot nicer in conversation than I am on the forums. I just don't like forums and interacting on them makes me quite a lot meaner.

Yeah, I noticed that in-game, you are much easier to have an interactive conversation with. I try to keep that in mind when you grate on me in forum posts.

I used to be considerably meaner in forums and e-mails and such too. I think it's worth it to concertedly try and improve. I know it's helped my professional life as well (which also involves a lot of e-mailing).

On the GSF forums, I think Verain has done a pretty good job of softening his "posting voice". If a guy like him can, I'm sure you could too :)

I was talking to Scrab about this the other day also ... he was talking about how in his earlier days of flying, he could be a bit more arrogant in tone. It was actually one of the big reasons I didn't recognize who he was on his new alt for a while--because he seemed so nice and helpful!

I know that forums--especially PvP-related forums--just seem to put everyone in a competitive mood. I suspect the asynchronous nature of the conversation somehow does something to dampen base-level empathy that occurs in real-time conversation. And it takes deliberate effort to not succumb to that instinct. But over time and with practice, it seems to happen more naturally.

Yeah, I noticed that in-game, you are much easier to have an interactive conversation with. I try to keep that in mind when you grate on me in forum posts.

I used to be considerably meaner in forums and e-mails and such too. I think it's worth it to concertedly try and improve. I know it's helped my professional life as well (which also involves a lot of e-mailing).

On the GSF forums, I think Verain has done a pretty good job of softening his "posting voice". If a guy like him can, I'm sure you could too :)

I was talking to Scrab about this the other day also ... he was talking about how in his earlier days of flying, he could be a bit more arrogant in tone. It was actually one of the big reasons I didn't recognize who he was on his new alt for a while--because he seemed so nice and helpful!

I know that forums--especially PvP-related forums--just seem to put everyone in a competitive mood. I suspect the asynchronous nature of the conversation somehow does something to dampen base-level empathy that occurs in real-time conversation. And it takes deliberate effort to not succumb to that instinct. But over time and with practice, it seems to happen more naturally.

I honestly have no interest in softening my posting voice. This will quite likely be the last game forum I really converse on. In text and e-mail I'm quite different particularly because in forums I refrain from abbreviations and emoticons and other mood symbols.

As for Verain, regardless of how soft his voice is, I will never agree with any post he makes, I can explain that to you another time.

Edited by tommmsunb

I honestly have no interest in softening my posting voice. This will quite likely be the last game forum I really converse on. In text and e-mail I'm quite different particularly because in forums I refrain from abbreviations and emoticons and other mood symbols.

As for Verain, regardless of how soft his voice is, I will never agree with any post he makes, I can explain that to you another time.

I get it. Not out to make friends or anything on here. I'm not really either, but you definitely come off as abrasive and demeaning. But to each their own. Mine wasn't a post about the friendliest people in GSF (although I do find it mildly ironic that at least one of your in-game monikers is "friendlygurl"), it was about people on TEH I've noticed because of flight prowess.

And you really did pull one of the sickest maneuvers on me I've seen in this game. I'm not completely sure you meant to do it the way you did, but it was effective regardless. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and that's a maneuver that I'm still working on perfecting from a timing perspective. It gave me a few other ideas as well.

EDIT - And not that it matters, but my perception of your friendliness has absolutely nothing to do with missing abbreviations and emotes. It's tone.

Edited by nyghtrunner

A special shout out to all pilots out there, I'm hanging up my flight suit and leaving the game permanently , it was a great honour flying with you all.

Flew against you today.

Silly Ded'i can't keep away.

Oh, thank you! Really, this makes me smile.

The time in particular, I think Ren, Pylan and I were grouped up together and chatting over Mumble. I mean, it's really tough to get one over on us when we're all grouped together; throw voice into the mix, and it's a lot more difficult.

But I really appreciate being told that I'm tough to kill, thank you! That, I think, is the real sign of a good Gunship pilot. If a Gunship can get big damage and lots of kills, it's not necessarily because they're skilled, but because their targets keep giving them opportunities. No, a good Gunship pilot displays his or her real skill when they're forced to try and survive. Having good backup helps, though, and I'm glad I can always count on my GSF friends.

I wanna give a couple shout-outs to some friends: Rahima, Lija, Kantherian, Jai-din, Thorvalder, Onyarra and, as always, Sookat and Sriia. Thank you for making it fun to fly with y'all.

And I also wanna give a couple shout-outs to the bad, bad Impside peoples: Echol'ya, Drevar (Doctor Dre!), Layecc (for sheer persistence!), Kalphitis, Yaegren, and an extra-special welcome-back shout to Mae-thon and Kami. Haven't seen you guys in forever!

I noticed Ded'i was on her usual terrorize space the other day. Hopefully that means she's staying put. The amount of holes she puts in my gunship resembles evil smiley faces.

Rhint, you're susposed to sit still in those wargames for me so I can kill you. I need the practice! Jeeze! :D

Shout outs to Ded'i, Imperius, Akashi, other imp pilots whose names I can' t recall, you guys were tough as usual.

Honorable mention goes to Play who I was jousting as a gunship on the Denon map. Fun times.

Don't jinx it, luv.

I want to give a special shout-out to a few Scout pilots that have really made it their business to get in my face and shut me down over the past couple days. You guys are doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing in order to keep me out of the game and give your team a good chance at winning.

Specifically, Kresta, Stiletto, Briellyn, Gwendolyn, and Scherieke. You guys have cost me a lot of time I could otherwise be using to slaughter you.

Oh, thank you! Really, this makes me smile.

The time in particular, I think Ren, Pylan and I were grouped up together and chatting over Mumble. I mean, it's really tough to get one over on us when we're all grouped together; throw voice into the mix, and it's a lot more difficult.

But I really appreciate being told that I'm tough to kill, thank you! That, I think, is the real sign of a good Gunship pilot. If a Gunship can get big damage and lots of kills, it's not necessarily because they're skilled, but because their targets keep giving them opportunities. No, a good Gunship pilot displays his or her real skill when they're forced to try and survive. Having good backup helps, though, and I'm glad I can always count on my GSF friends.

Ren = Renegade-One? Don't think I know Pylan... But then, I don't know too many from TEH, since I only ever solo there, and only at pretty random times. It seems that I either get the daily done in a single match, and have tops in several cats, or I run into what I guess is a Saberwing group, and am running for my life all match, occasionally able to grab a kill if I find people outside of the main group. I love the challenge in some ways, and I think I might be able to offset Renegade or you, but if there are 2-3+, it's almost all I can do to not die.

Kind of surprised that you remember that series, to be honest. The TDM was just a slaughter-fest. I was able to make you and Renegade run away in a flaming ship a couple of times, but couldn't seal the deal, and I pretty much died quickly after every time I tried.

The Dom went much, much better for our team, but I think a lot of that had to do with it being Denon, and that kind of forcing you all to spread out a bit. I was able to get you I think once, and Renegade either 2 or 3 times (including a VERY ill-advised "joust", because I got caught out of position, with no thrusters, and he was just turning around to look at me after I'd chased him away from the sat... The orange glow of doom was lighting up just as I got into range, and I was hoping the RNG gods would be nice, and I could hit him before he got the shot off).

The time I caught you, you were posting up by the star destroyer thing, on the Imp side of the map, looking at B, and I was able to creep a bit. Still, you were off and moving with the first shot, and while you were in the Condor, it still took me I think 10-15s to take you down, and that was catching you without any help! I found you once or twice at other points in the match, and I feel like I got you one of them, but I honestly don't remember. In the second match, there was a LOT of me having to peel to go help sats, so I might just be remembering chasing you off a bit before running off to A to help shore up the D.

So yes, you're definitely elusive. ;)

EDIT - And I agree with you. The sign of a good gunship isn't the damage or kills, it's the deaths. I think you had 1 (maybe 0) in the TDM, and 3 in the Dom, which is what I was referring to with the "numbers at the end don't really lie" bit. By themselves, the low deaths aren't that impressive, per se, but when you get something like ~30 kills, 180k damage, and 3 deaths in 2 matches, you're doing something right. And I definitely noted that you bolted the MOMENT a shot landed, which is so key for a GS pilot (or any pilot, really, but I think GS pilots are guilty of getting tunnel vision more than the dogfighters as a rule... Something about the scope, methinks).

Edited by nyghtrunner

Welcome back Archerov and Knickers!

Also, shout-out to Yaegren, a very slippery and tactically minded Gunship pilot.

And to Pammel, who has become a very dangerous and wily Strike. If he gets on a sat or mesa or capship, he is almost impossible to hit.

Shout out to Despon, who's mangler chewed up my bloodmark repeatedly in a war game.

Then shout out to Daphnii, there was a Domination and a Team Deathmatch, back to back you were in and both were tough fights.

Also shout outs to Rubinicus, Gyrfalcon and Grif who I have not seen in a while.

And shout out to Sonya; every time I see her, its like waving a flag at a bull, I have to charge and attack, no matter what :p

Edited by Caernos

Shout out to Despon, who's mangler chewed up my bloodmark repeatedly in a war game.

Then shout out to Daphnii, there was a Domination and a Team Deathmatch, back to back you were in and both were tough fights.

Also shout outs to Rubinicus, Gyrfalcon and Grif who I have not seen in a while.

And shout out to Sonya; every time I see her, its like waving a flag at a bull, I have to charge and attack, no matter what :p

LOL I try. Every time I shoot at you guys around a sat is like kicking a bee hive. I tend to get stung a lot.

I want to give a shout-out to EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this list, after one of the closest, most fun, most incredible-finish Domination matches of my almost-a-year of flying.

The story here is that my team was behind for nearly all of the match, until the "bad guys" got three-capped, not even joking, at 993, with us muttering around the six to seven hundreds. We three-capped, held, blew the bad guys out of the sky, only to have them wrest A from us, and putting the race back on again. You can see the result, and it's just one more example of what I always say: "Never stop fighting 'till the fighting's done."

The best part was, it was a wargame, so all of us could laugh about it afterwards with no hard feelings. I love that my fellow Republic flyers are not only skilled enough to get a match THAT close and neither one of us ever gave up or surrendered or just said, 'Oh, it's not gonna happen', but that we're all friendly and professional enough to not take either the win or the loss as a personal indictment, either positive or negative. Nobody's ego took a hit, nobody's ego took off. Just another match.

Darn - must have just missed that match! Saberwing has enjoyed a TON of games this week.

Shoutout to all the pilots we've flown with and against. The skies have been full, our blaster energy low, and our hearts warmed by the battles we've fought - thank you!

I want to give a shout-out to EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this list, after one of the closest, most fun, most incredible-finish Domination matches of my almost-a-year of flying.

The story here is that my team was behind for nearly all of the match, until the "bad guys" got three-capped, not even joking, at 993, with us muttering around the six to seven hundreds. We three-capped, held, blew the bad guys out of the sky, only to have them wrest A from us, and putting the race back on again. You can see the result, and it's just one more example of what I always say: "Never stop fighting 'till the fighting's done."

The best part was, it was a wargame, so all of us could laugh about it afterwards with no hard feelings. I love that my fellow Republic flyers are not only skilled enough to get a match THAT close and neither one of us ever gave up or surrendered or just said, 'Oh, it's not gonna happen', but that we're all friendly and professional enough to not take either the win or the loss as a personal indictment, either positive or negative. Nobody's ego took a hit, nobody's ego took off. Just another match.

That was an awesome match. I think everyone came out of there beat up for sure. Everyone fought for every inch of the map and that's the matches you want to see. Much, much fun! Kudos to everyone in that one.