loosing kills to Suicides

mr_sim

So this could be pure coincidence. My guildmates were reporting last night mostly scout pilots, that they were loosing kills when their targets are almost dead from their lasers when their targets suicide into objects. As far as I understand you do not receive a kill or assist in this situation.

Our theory is that players are killing themselves to deny credit for the kill.

That said it could simply be the attackers fire has driven the target into a panic and they crash on their own mistake. Either way the attacker created the situation leading to the targets crash.

Either way I think the attacker deserves an assist credit if they did:

A: significant damage to the target.

And

B: did damage to target moments before target suicides.

You receive an assist credit for any ship you damage without regard to how they die, so if you hit them before they suicide, you already get this. It's only if you panic them with near misses or missile locks and they die trying to evade you that this is a factor.

I think scouts tend to do it more often because they start with the barrel roll evasion maneuver, which seems to have a very good chance of killing you if you aren't careful. :p

In general, I think this happens more often by accident than by design, but even if they are doing it on purpose they are denying you nothing, so it's all good. :)

I've been assuming the obvious suiciders are trying to deny kill cred, or have a tremendous hatred of flying around on fire.

If so it's been counterproductive in the matches I've been in. As soon as they fly back in they get mobbed since their behavior grabs attention and makes them look like a weak opponent to get out of the way quickly.

I have the companion who repairs my hull and use it after a good engagement, so I don't fly into asteroids to reset my ship, but I do occasionally fly into, the one that gets my is the blue forcefield on the mining station, and various other places when trying to get to or away from an enemy, but that's me, I fly close to the objectives so gunships and missiles can't target me.

Also, I am testing whether I prefer the 180 loop or the barrel role and sometimes forget which I have installed.

The most I've ever done as for Suicidal is to get someone off my tail that won't get off no matter how far I boost off or avoid and when I accidently hit or bash into something that damages my hull, which means "oh look he's damaged, kill him". Summary of this To escape a persistant player and repair fully from self inflicted damage that I can barely repair up.

I think the best solution is that when a player dies:

The player who got the killing blow gets the kill

All players who did damage receive an assist

If the killing blow on the dead player does not come from an attacking player (whether they suicided on purpose or just happened to run into an asteroid while trying to avoid a missile), the same effect as using /stuck in pvp should happen. That player should receive additional time on their respawn timer.

I've seen a lot of players at full health make stupid decisions running into walls. But I've also seen a lot of players at low health run into walls when you get a missile lock. The only real way to solve this is that all players are negatively impacted because some people might be abusing the benefits you get from assists/kills against the opposing players, or create logic that still rewards players for playing the game as normal. You could enhance the logic by checking if the player running into asteroids/walls has full health, is currently in missile lock, etc.

You get the same rewards for an assist that you get for a kill, so they aren't denying you anything. Also I'm pretty sure suiciding gives you a progressive restart penalty, which gives them a disincentive to doing it on purpose.

The restart penalty could be higher on multiple deaths, but other than that, I think this is already covered, and most of the suicides you see are accidental or being carried out by people not realizing it doesn't buy them anything.

Ugh...I fear this thread may be about me...

I SWEAR, like every freaking time I hit '3'...it does some super boost + barrel role or loopty loot thing and crashes me into some girder, asteroid or mountain...I think I need a new co-pilot.

Obviously people should be banned for running into obstacles. I actually prefer when people do that because it means they died earlier so I can move on to the next target.

People need to stop taking kills/assists so seriously, in my book your damage dealt is a better measure.

BW needs to add Asteroids/NPC objjects to the player list at the end of the match.

>Asteroid C : Kills 45

There should be a third team listed on the scoreboard at the end of each match... World.

KDY Shielded Dock: 15 kills, 26 assists, 12 medals, MVP

There is also the possibility that, under pressure from fire, the player makes an evasive mistake and dies. I know I have a couple of times, hit the barrel roll or reverse thrust manoeuvre while dogfighting and it slammed me into an object. Temporary situational awareness fail. I haven't yet seen any opponents deliberately crash.

GS has suffers from the same terrible client/server communication that plagues the rest of the game, but since objects move at a much higher speed, it can be even worse. I personally suicided about 3 times in an an hour or so of play because this terrible communication made the server decide I ran into an object that I wasn't anywhere near running into. Plus, as many other people have complained about, mouse controls are terrible for a lot of people, so certainly panic feeds into suicide sometimes.

That said, players should certainly get assists.

GS has suffers from the same terrible client/server communication that plagues the rest of the game, but since objects move at a much higher speed, it can be even worse. I personally suicided about 3 times in an an hour or so of play because this terrible communication made the server decide I ran into an object that I wasn't anywhere near running into. Plus, as many other people have complained about, mouse controls are terrible for a lot of people, so certainly panic feeds into suicide sometimes.

Hmm, I haven't had any big issues with the connection when playing. I fly really close to objects too.

No issues for me all day since launch (including time playing int PTS). Maybe its on your end?

There is also the possibility that, under pressure from fire, the player makes an evasive mistake and dies.
This. I've died from using Retrothrusters when evading a missile. And slammed my behind right to a wall. Edited by paowee