The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bind to legacy modification

Kawabonga

The game is constantly seeing new "bound to legacy" adaptive stuff added. This is great, but forces people to look alike if they have empire/republic counterparts or same class characters and don't have time to gear both up. Since the option of legacy gear exists, it might as well be more complete, and allow people to have legacy armor while maintaining their favorite look (to a larger extent than now at least).

My suggestion is a "bind to legacy" item of some kind. Just like augment slots are added to items, you'd have to bring the desired piece to a modification station, click on a "bind to legacy" button, consume the "bind to legacy" item (and maybe some credits) and you're good to send your cool stuff over.

This would also be a way to solve the problem that no bound to legacy shield, generator, focus and knife exist, but saber and blaster offhands do. Same for implants, earpieces and relics (if you ever even want these to be BoL, otherwise just forget this little paragraph, and make the item usable on armor only).

I understand the concern that cartel market sales would drop if people could bind to legacy their precious eradicator set or whatever, so i think it would be fair enough if it was usable only on non-cartel market stuff.

I think a fair price for such an item should go anywhere between 40 and 80 cartel market coins, and there should be a bundle with discount (bundle contains X items, pay X-1 items, or an X% permanent discount off of the total price).

The bundle should contain

-14 items if everything could be bound to legacy

-9 items if everything moddable could be bound to legacy

-8 items if everything moddable minus the offhand could be bound to legacy

-7 items if only the armor could be bound to legacy

Thanks for your attention if you ever read or comment this.

Edit: I based the cost i suggested on a wrong assumption about the cartel armor cost. My bad, i should've checked. I'll just quote myself from another thread for the new price and the reasoning because i'm lazy like that.

I believe the only legacy sets that costs more than a million credits are the "class's" exalted sets, and those aren't even adaptive, and can only be used by the same class, not even the mirror one.

All of the adaptive legacy sets that have been designed to be wearable by any class are very cheap in credits.

Some cartel market armor sets (the ugly ones :p) cost 1440 CC. The full eradicator set costs 1380 CC. Some weapons cost 400 CC, others less (the dual wield ones). That puts us around the 1800 CC mark, excluding offhands. I think a bundle of enough BoL items to create a full set should cost about the same, since BoL equipment already present in the game is so cheap [and limited, not to mention kind of ugly]. After reviewing the prices of CM stuff i think a fair price for the single item would be between 200 and 250 CC.

Edited by Kawabonga

Awesome idea. Would solve my problem.

I use to raid on my sentinel and marauder, operative and scoundrel. I dont have time to farm 16 man all day to gear up each of my toons, so I use te legacy adaptive. The problem is that there's no jedi/sith legacy adaptive gear, so my force users looks like a bounty hunter or agent... This is NOT cool.

Developers allow us to make orange and purple gear legacy adaptive paying CC.

Sure cartel market items still the same, bind on equip.

Bad idea, bad affect on the in game economy. Greatly increasing the amount of Legacy bound items in the game will kill crafting.

How so? Legacy gear already exists, and it's adaptive as well. If someone has multiple characters of the same kind, chances are he's already using legacy gear. If anything such an item would encourage people to go for a look they like, and consequentially buy augment kits. Not to mention that having the possibility to use their own cool look would be a plus for people considering to create mirror or same alts, which would mean having to maybe buy lower level stuff from the gtn such as earpieces, implants, mods etc etc.

Bad idea, bad affect on the in game economy. Greatly increasing the amount of Legacy bound items in the game will kill crafting.

You know what really killed craft? Gear 72 being able to buy using Elite comms.

It's NOT a gear being able to be legacy adaptive that would kill craft, think about it.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of a "bind to legacy" modification item. :)

Though if not for use on CM items, I probably wouldn't use it much outside of level 50-55 stuff. Maybe to send my awesome looking old Tionese Supercommando set from my Smuggler to my BH or something -- but would that even work, visually? The non-CM gear I love most tends to have faction-locked appearances.

I really want this feature. A cartel market and or crafted item that will make any adaptive piece in the game a "bind on legacy" piece. I have 16 toons, 1 of each class, on the harbinger, and mirror the classes..so my commando and mercenary for example have the same build and share the same legacy armor that I already have. It would be nice to have this suggested item because, quite frankly, the legacy gear I have to choose from is so limited and I am not happy with the way all my toons look. Part of the appeal of any mmo is to be able to customize your toons appearance to your liking. I think its great that there is gear that is bound to legacy, but the fact that there are so few pieces of legacy gear really takes away from my enjoyment.

I'd also like to note that the primary reason that I don't spend cartel coins on gear that is offered on the cartel market, gear that drops in cartel packs, or gear that is crafted by players is that they are not BOL. The convenience of BOL gear far outweighs my vanity.

While Im on the subject, PLEASE take away the class restrictions from the original legacy gear found on the homeworlds. Some of those pieces look really nice, but they are useless for anything except transferring mods, and that costs way to many credits as it is.

• 1 month later...
I'd also like to note that the primary reason that I don't spend cartel coins on gear that is offered on the cartel market, gear that drops in cartel packs, or gear that is crafted by players is that they are not BOL. The convenience of BOL gear far outweighs my vanity.
Cartel Market gear doesn't need a BtoL option, because in a way, you can bind it to your account, via your Collections. Collect a set, equip it, pay a few coins, and every character on your account, not just your legacy (for folks with characters on more than one server) can get a copy of that set for free. Edited by Adric_the_Red

Cartel Market gear doesn't need a BtoL option, because in a way, you can bind it to your account, via your Collections. Collect a set, equip it, pay a few coins, and every character on your account, not just your legacy (for folks with characters on more than one server) can get a copy of that set for free.

The piece of gear itself can be acquired multiple times, sure, but the whole point of this is to be able to have the modifications available to the mirror/same classes. Those don't come with the collection unlock, so there's no reason to bring that up

I'd like to see this also.

And I'd also like to see modifiable droid armor that accepts bound to slot armoring so I can use HK, and preferably bound to legacy. Although if the OP's suggestion is in place, it wouldn't need to start out being bound to legacy. Past 50 I can't use my comms to gear HK because of the bound to slot armorings.

Edited by altaboy

• 3 weeks later...
I like the idea of a "bind to legacy" modification item. :)

Though if not for use on CM items, I probably wouldn't use it much outside of level 50-55 stuff. Maybe to send my awesome looking old Tionese Supercommando set from my Smuggler to my BH or something -- but would that even work, visually? The non-CM gear I love most tends to have faction-locked appearances.

I have a few extra Longshots and Glowing Guns on my Imperial level 55s...would LOVE to send them around to my Vanguard and Scoundrel. The Vanguard can still get the Campaign Supercommando rifle, but the color scheme...ugh...

• 9 months later...

This would also be a way to solve the problem that no bound to legacy shield, generator, focus and knife exist

These offhand items DO exist. Participation in the Gree Event allows you to get them. However, I am totally for a way to turn, say, items you've got in Collections into Legacy bound stuff. Unlocking armor sets in Collections was cool while creating new toons and leveling up, but once that process is over I find no practical reason to use ANY bound on equip armor set.

On the other side, getting a legacy bound armor set is usually a kind of reward for various tiers of reputation. Since I've already posted a comment into a related thread, I'd only repeat that this ability could be achieved once you reach a higher tier of reputation from a certain shipment. For example, legend reputation allows you to unlock (with cm coins / in-game coins) and convert to Bound to Legacy one/more/any item you unlocked in that Collection.

One way or another, having the means to convert armor sets or weapons into Bound to Legacy items would be simply awesome... IMHO, of course ;)

Edited by xberry