Galactic Starfighter....suggestions to give it wider appeal, short and long term

LordArtemis

I've been away from the game for ages and only resubbed yesterday because of GS - but I have been silently browsing the forums for a few months now and OP has always come off as one of the most logical people I've seen on a gaming forum, not to mention I've often been in complete agreement of what and how he posts.

And I must say that I agree with LordArtemis' suggestions here too.

However since GS is being designed with mouse in mind I'm not sure how well it would work with a joystick. Don't get me wrong I'd LOVE it to have joystick support, but I have my doubts... Cokpit view however would be more feasible IMO - though it could come at the expense of situational awareness. And I think that whilst the on foot combat suggestion would be awesome, it doesn't seem like something BW would consider.

I do hope that they expand on GS, obviously not only with new maps, ships and game types but also PvE. I know there are no PvE plans yet but if it garners a large enough fan base and works well, hopefully BW will consider it!

I appreciate the comments. I hope that they do consider the on foot option...I realize it would likely have to be seriously dumbed down to work, but if it was done in a generic BF2 toon style I think it could work.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the comments. I hope that they do consider the on foot option...I realize it would likely have to be seriously dumbed down to work, but if it was done in a generic BF2 toon style I think it could work.

True... I guess they could give it some depth and raise the required skill cap by incorporating locational damage (headshots etc) and no auto targeting for ranged and combos/active blocking for melee, and in combination with the fast paced "twitchier" combat it would at the very least require some reflexes, quick thinking and hand-eye coordination. And I guess the classes would have to be more consolidated, no advanced classes but a small mix of iconic abilities from both ACs.

True... I guess they could give it some depth and raise the required skill cap by incorporating locational damage (headshots etc) and no auto targeting for ranged and combos/active blocking for melee, and in combination with the fast paced "twitchier" combat it would at the very least require some reflexes, quick thinking and hand-eye coordination. And I guess the classes would have to be more consolidated, no advanced classes but a small mix of iconic abilities from both ACs.

Using BF2 and the current GS as a template, this is how I would set it up. You would have 6 classes to play as in the "ground" game, more specifically combat on foot on board the capital ships.

Trooper

BH

Smuggler

Agent

Jedi

Sith

Your class you play would be determined by the class you now have as you participate in the GS. You would have 8 simplified abilities on single bar on the bottom.

Your appearance would be generic. They would create one simple low poly appearance for each class type, and that is what you would fight with. Or...they could outfit all players in the flight suits, two factions. Either way this allows many more players to fight on foot.

Just like in BF2 you would have capital ships you could land on, get out of your ship, fight on foot, destroy key ship systems or defend them, man the turrets to fire at the enemy capital ships or other player fighters, etc.

Would you also add a small skill tree, like the ones the ship equipment features? Different weapon choices? And maybe some cosmetic customization options? Or do you think it would be too much for the engine to handle since the transition to ship-bound combat would have to be seamless?

Would you also add a small skill tree, like the ones the ship equipment features? Different weapon choices? And maybe some cosmetic customization options? Or do you think it would be too much for the engine to handle since the transition to ship-bound combat would have to be seamless?

I wouldn't. I would try to keep on foot combat as basic as possible. The main objective for the feature would be to provide on foot combat with large amounts of players, for an eventual increase of match size to as high as 40 vs 40, which would be my goal.

Now THAT, regardless of feature flaws would be truly epic IMO.

• 5 months later...
Ever since I started seeing things about Galactic Starfighter I've been thinking the same thing: Why can't we just use our ships? That would have been incentive for me to dust off my old smuggler instead of deleting him.

Hopefully we will see something like that in the future.

Ever since I started seeing things about Galactic Starfighter I've been thinking the same thing: Why can't we just use our ships? That would have been incentive for me to dust off my old smuggler instead of deleting him.

Necro thread!

In the one dev twitch we had with a GSF dev, someone asked if we could ever use our class ships in GSF. The dev answer was very coy wink-wink, hinting that they were working on a way to make it happen.

Of course, that was before Infiltrator was cancelled, so it's hard to say whether that's still under development. Optimistically, perhaps they decided class ships in GSF would have broader market appeal, and a better chance of drawing people in, than stealth fighters, and so decided to cancel Infiltrators so they could focus on class ships.

Edited by Nemarus

Necro thread!

In the one dev twitch we had with a GSF dev, someone asked if we could ever use our class ships in GSF. The dev answer was very coy wink-wink, hinting that they were working on a way to make it happen.

Of course, that was before Infiltrator was cancelled, so it's hard to say whether that's still under development. Optimistically, perhaps they decided class ships in GSF would have broader market appeal, and a better chance of drawing people in, than stealth fighters, and so decided to cancel Infiltrators so they could focus on class ships.

I personally think, even without any of the other suggestions, this would be a huge draw....ESPECIALLY if other players could join in on your ship to defend it.

I also think this could be a segway to adding on capital ship (on foot) combat on capital ships inside GS, and eventually make changes to the PVE space game as well.

Ok, many posts exist for this already, but I wanted to bring some focus to what I feel MIGHT be some issues moving forward.

Now, first, this is extremely early, so this could be something that is already planned, or the feature could be so good it will not matter. I concede both points.

But I wanted to comment on what I see are common themes and concerns around the net about the new feature, and perhaps list them out, and see if others would like to do the same.

Here is my list of things I would like Bioware to consider, short and long term.

1) Cockpit view and Joystick control. The reason I feel both are important is that it is a common staple of the kind of games that this feature seems to have some kinship with at first glance, and I think this is what many folks would like to see.

I contend that cockpit view does not have to be fancy...something without moving arms, just the cockpit window and dash would probably work. Just a zoom in to first person view would apply. Also, if joystick option can't be implemented, perhaps some kind of interface to assign keys to a joystick would work, or at least joystick capability would be appreciated IMO.

2) Eventual implementation of capital ship combat, on foot combat to expand this feature into a BF2 like PVP feature. One of the most appealing features of BF2, IMO, was the ability to transition out of your fighter into a hanger, and then fight on foot. You could man a turret, or take out objectives in the ship/defend the ship.

I would suggest low poly single appearance models for players, and a single bar for abilities, using the same interface as the fighter. The might allow something like this to be added.

To clarify on this a bit, that means a completely different single appearance model for pubs and imps. The model would have a simple appearance, be low on polys...so essentially everyone on one side that had the same class would look the same. Your class would only apply to the basic appearance and the weapon you used.

3) Eventual implementation of PVE features. Would be nice to see some kind of PVE element come down the road that uses this setup, even if it is just dailies or some kind of single mission workup. Obviously this would take a huge amount of work, considering AI requirements and the like. But perhaps if the feature proves popular it might be worth it to do so down the road.

As a final comment, I think second suggestion could open the door for another option for on foot PVP. If the on foot suggestion is ever implemented and it proves popular it could open the door to a PVP alternative that would be far more appealing than what is in place at present.

I would also like to stress that I think the reticule needs to be fixed, while keeping the targeting circle for automatic missile lockon. Not only would this improve mouse movement response and remove weapon aiming (unless you are in sniping mode), it would also make it easier to add joystick support.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to the lists from others.

In order by bullet point:

1) LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Well, at least half of it (I can take or leave the joystick control, but I sincerely doubt it can be coded into the current iteration - it'd probably have to be rebuilt). But the cockpit views? That's a simple skin job. That can be done this week if they so chose. I'd love to see 'em choose to do so though!

2) YES! YEEEEEEEEEEEEES! You have NO idea how badly I wanna take down those damn cap ships! I even try to fight 'em now, if the match is completely lopsided in our favor - wait until we hit about a gap of about 600 points (happens more frequently than not in Domination), then I feed myself to the turret. But one day...

As far as getting outta the ship and attacking, I've wanted to see that since Freelancer. But if Chris Roberts can't deliver it, I don't think Bioware can either.

3) I'd play a PvE mode if it were available (still a fan of the Great Space Coaster we have now!), but I've heard Bioware just doesn't have the expertise in-house to make that happen and I can't see 'em bringing on another company to horn in on their deal. The reason the railshooter works so well is because the AI ships just fly a programmed loop - they don't adjust at all to fire or tracking or anything. That would be a major (and perhaps insurmountable at present) obstacle for Bioware. But it's still a great wish.

The Rest) I am not a fan of making it easier to shoot. I would like to see more pilots get away from jousting and get into actual evasion techniques, which I don't believe would be encouraged if missiles were autolock. I personally like the current aiming system, but could adjust readily if the reticule were removed.

Nice brainstorming! -bp

Necro thread!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I was looking forward to stealth! :( -bp

There was a time i would disagree with adding joystick control. But as of late I've come to appreciate the need for more control options.

One stepping stone to implementing joystick controls would be to put in a reticule sensitivity or range limiter.

That is, a slider setting that controls the max distance from which the cross hairs can be move away from the center line. At 100% range the controls will behave as they do already and at 0% the cross hairs will essentially be locked in place. Anything in between sorta adjusts how "stiff" or "loose" the responsiveness would feel.

Next step would be to map X, Y input to joystick controls which would conceivably translate better at lower settings.

Yes, lower setting would not allow one to track targets, but I think it's a worthy trade off to have a tighter control over where your reticule is at all times and might be off-set by the forced decrease in tracking penalties.

There was a time i would disagree with adding joystick control. But as of late I've come to appreciate the need for more control options.

One stepping stone to implementing joystick controls would be to put in a reticule sensitivity or range limiter.

That is, a slider setting that controls the max distance from which the cross hairs can be move away from the center line. At 100% range the controls will behave as they do already and at 0% the cross hairs will essentially be locked in place. Anything in between sorta adjusts how "stiff" or "loose" the responsiveness would feel.

Next step would be to map X, Y input to joystick controls which would conceivably translate better at lower settings.

Yes, lower setting would not allow one to track targets, but I think it's a worthy trade off to have a tighter control over where your reticule is at all times and might be off-set by the forced decrease in tracking penalties.

Right, that would be the point of shrinking down the current reticule movement circle. Right now it is rather large, allowing you to move the reticule quite a bit before the ship starts to turn...and this does not work well with joysticks.

However, it would be possible to add joystick control if this movement circle was shrunk to about one third of it's current size....this way you still get ship movement shortly after you begin to move the reticule.

Note that the reticule could still "climb" along the movement axis, which would still allow the same weapon aiming that exists now (though I would not suggest that except for things like gunships) but your ships nose would follow at a quicker snap.

Go install and play one of those games now, then get back to us about the experience.

Was cool at the time, but so was pong...

Rogue Squadron 3D. 'nuff said. STILL a good game.

BF2 Space Combat (pvp OR PVE)

I can name more if you like.

Joysticks&cockpit view for wider appeal? They're doing 3rd person mouse control precisely because of wider appeal lol.

that's funny because i won't play GSF because it s only keyboard and mouse input

what percentage of steam gamers do you think have a 360 controller or a ps4 stick? I'll bet its alot higher than you think

Rogue Squadron 3D. 'nuff said. STILL a good game.

BF2 Space Combat (pvp OR PVE)

I can name more if you like.

omg TIE FIGHTER IS STILL AWESOME and its smaller than most smartphone games out now

But PvE players already have their own space game, they don't need to corrupt our PvP space game!

that's the same as saying this game should never have given pvp warzones to pvp'ers because we allready have the ability to duel each other.

multi player full control space missions would have ZERO impact on the already existing space warzones

if anything it could act as a bridge to get more players participating in GSF, they will have a place to "practice" piloting and work on some basic upgrades before moving straight into full warzones

Edited by Thoop