The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Galactic Starfighter....suggestions to give it wider appeal, short and long term

LordArtemis

To expand upon the idea of capital ships:

I recall, back when the game first released, a LOT of people were pushing for something akin to a guild base. I suggest expanding upon this to allow for Guild Capital Ships.

- There could be an upgrade system. You start out with a land-based base and eventually buy your way up to a flashy capital ship. You could even have tiers, such as the first Guild Ship you get is just a Frigate that X guild members must operate, and then the final level could be each factions' standard Capital Ship, with hangers and ****!

- Crew Skills could be used to make upgrades to the ships (Armstech for weapons systems, Cybertech for automated defenses, etc.). Alternatively, you can buy the same upgrades for credits.

- They could implement Large-Scale Guild Space PvP. So, for instance, my Imp guild could call out a Pub guild and the goal would be to disable the opposing Capital Ship. They would need some kind of matching system so that a guild with a basic, first tier Ship doesn't wind up fighting a massive Destroyer.

- Since I doubt EA would let BioWare get away with something like this without adding something to the CM, add visual customization packs to the market. Want a pink-as-f**k Destroyer with hearts all over it? Knock yourself out!

I understand that this, for the most part, my be a pipe-dream... but one can hope!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just doest appeal to a lot of ppl no matter what they do ppl play for combat and stories which they will never be able to do in that minigame. Now if the starships acted like a flying mount and could actually traverse zones it would be a usefull addition since it promotes the functionalty of the game instead of compete with it.

It just doest appeal to a lot of ppl no matter what they do ppl play for combat and stories which they will never be able to do in that minigame. Now if the starships acted like a flying mount and could actually traverse zones it would be a usefull addition since it promotes the functionalty of the game instead of compete with it.

I don't know where you get your information from, but a LOT of people were excited as f**k about the idea of space combat in this game prior to its initial release. The thing that people were upset about was the on-rails-almost-impossible-to-fail shooter we were given.

I don't know where you get your information from, but a LOT of people were excited as f**k about the idea of space combat in this game prior to its initial release. The thing that people were upset about was the on-rails-almost-impossible-to-fail shooter we were given.

Yeah its a small minority that will ever care about a space mini game if it were that important eve is that way --

Space comba will always be an after thought as it should be focused on core gameplay yet somehow think it will be anything more than a shallow minigame that gets boring fast and detracts from the core experience by competing with it instead of working together. If the fuctionally crossed into one another it might be a diff story

Yeah its a small minority that will ever care about a space mini game if it were that important eve is that way --

Space comba will always be an after thought as it should be focused on core gameplay yet somehow think it will be anything more than a shallow minigame that gets boring fast and detracts from the core experience by competing with it instead of working together. If the fuctionally crossed into one another it might be a diff story

It might be and it might not. Do you know for sure? Citing sources would help your argument. Oh wait ... it's in closed beta so you can't quote sources ... nvm. Edited by GalacticKegger

What game are you playing? I'm playing Star Wars. Which if I recall has a great emphasis on space combat and game play. Please don't speak for everyone.

What game are you playing? I'm playing Star Wars. Which if I recall has a great emphasis on space combat and game play. Please don't speak for everyone.

Guess we were watching different movies its about 10% screentime and has nothing to do with actual gameplay its just a transport that never interacts with the main game

Seeing how its the same handful of people crying for it its not many

I would expect turn and burn physics even though it is in space.

See thats the funny part- becouse its in space i'd expect Turn and burn- that- and most of the players of this game couldn't play their way out of a paper bag with 2 openings so best not make them think at any point, god forbid we let THOUGHT get in the way.

So now i'd support your #2 and 3 idea but what would be the need for #1. Cockpit view ONLY is considered among flight sim enthusiasts as hard core, its best we don't offer it to the the tards, they'll only be lost and unless you like killing tards, whats the point ?

Edited by Etheric

I think to many people are expected EvE with a SW skin and are going to be disappointed and rage when it doesn't happen

Then many people are being stupid, EvE is a dedicated space game, no expansion is going to match that.

What we are going to get though is a fun space PVP aspect to the game, it will be short dogfights (I expect five to ten minutes, maybe twenty) with a degree of customisation on the fighters.

All in all it should be fun.

Top selling Star Wars games, or best Star Wars games, multiple lists, usually in the top 20, some in the top 5.....

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Star Wars Tie Fighter

Star Wars X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

Star Wars Starfighter

Star Wars Rebel Assault 2

Star Wars X-Wing Alliance

It is silly to suggest that space combat is not important to Star Wars fans, fans of Star Wars games, or even fans of this game based on pre-launch polls, post launch topics and general internet feedback.

Not only is it likely popular, it might be the biggest concern for Star Wars fans period...or at least in the top 5.

I expect it to be Star Wars.. Highly maneuverable and extremely fast.

So completly fake...

Yes. That is what Star Wars is. It's Space Fantasy, with very little attempt to adhere to physics or realism. The first movies had space battles modeled specifically on dogfights of propeller-driven aircraft. Larger spacecrafts acted more like boats than heavy objects in zero gravity. Seriously, A New Hope gave us turbulence in space.

The newer movies tried to adjust a little more realistic, but the WW2 dogfighting style was still in effect. I don't know why anyone would expect GS to be any different. In fact, I'd say that it would be a style failure if it tried to be realistic.

Top selling Star Wars games, or best Star Wars games, multiple lists, usually in the top 20, some in the top 5.....

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Star Wars Tie Fighter

Star Wars X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

Star Wars Starfighter

Star Wars Rebel Assault 2

Star Wars X-Wing Alliance

Don't forget Star Wars: Empire at War and the Forces of Corruption expansion. Space battles were far more engrossing and better looking with ground skirmishes being a mere afterthought in that game, especially in campaign/galactic conquest mode.

Folks who claim that a Star Wars product does not need a significant space element is simply deluding themselves to the point of willful ignorance. True, space combat wasn't the dominant theme/setting in the movies and books but to claim that the on-the-rail arcade shooter we have now is ample enough representation? Baffling sentiment to say the least. As it stands currently, a player can go from level 1 to 55 and acquire full Oricon gear without touching the on-the-rail space content even once. I know I haven't touched it for the past 4 months since I resubbed. Translate that to the movies or books, it would be akin to plodding through the materials without any of the space battle scenes. Personally, I don't think that would work out very well.

Edited by Oneirophrenia

It isn't quite that simple.. The game still has to be set up to accept inputs from the controller.. I have an X-Box controller for PC on my computer right now.. Unless the game has an option to use a controller, it isn't going to work..

Otherwise people with controllers could use them now.. :)

People with controllers can use now , there is a software called glovepie that does exactly what that guy said.

People with controllers can use now , there is a software called glovepie that does exactly what that guy said.

I'm going to try out glovepie and it if works well post instructions on it's use in the forums. That might at least help the joystick...err...gamepad folks.

Guess we were watching different movies its about 10% screentime and has nothing to do with actual gameplay its just a transport that never interacts with the main game

Seeing how its the same handful of people crying for it its not many

Well by those numbers, the amount of lightsaber combat is abysmal in the movies. As is actual combat. Most of the movies take place whilst people are talking to eachother:

So I guess what you want is a game where 75% (yeah, I can pull statistics out of my *** if you can) of the game takes place in pure dialogue, with only 10% space combat and 15% ground combat.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Some folks don't like the idea of space combat at all, others could care or not, some folks dig the idea.

I would speculate that most folks expect starship combat with Star Wars. But not everyone naturally. Just like folks expect Jedi, but not every popular game has had Jedi.

• 2 weeks later...
Well by those numbers, the amount of lightsaber combat is abysmal in the movies. As is actual combat. Most of the movies take place whilst people are talking to eachother:

So I guess what you want is a game where 75% (yeah, I can pull statistics out of my *** if you can) of the game takes place in pure dialogue, with only 10% space combat and 15% ground combat.

I think the existence and popularity of Star Wars space combat games proves that this is rather important to Star Wars fans.

I've been away from the game for ages and only resubbed yesterday because of GS - but I have been silently browsing the forums for a few months now and OP has always come off as one of the most logical people I've seen on a gaming forum, not to mention I've often been in complete agreement of what and how he posts.

And I must say that I agree with LordArtemis' suggestions here too.

However since GS is being designed with mouse in mind I'm not sure how well it would work with a joystick. Don't get me wrong I'd LOVE it to have joystick support, but I have my doubts... Cokpit view however would be more feasible IMO - though it could come at the expense of situational awareness. And I think that whilst the on foot combat suggestion would be awesome, it doesn't seem like something BW would consider.

I do hope that they expand on GS, obviously not only with new maps, ships and game types but also PvE. I know there are no PvE plans yet but if it garners a large enough fan base and works well, hopefully BW will consider it!