[Sniper Gunslinger Initiative] An opportunity to change Laze Target presents itself

paowee

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some input from The Harbinger thread re: the new LT possibly resulting to a slight sustained DPS loss for MM/SS http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6692701#3

Which again adds merit to my proposal that in addition to auto-critting, it's ensured that this shot isn't wasted, so it needs to ignore avoidance, mitigation and protection effects.

That will keep DPS about where it is now, while securing utility. It will also make the ability interesting to use. Do I pop it as soon as it's off CD, or do I save it for when I need to attack a shielded target, or do I use it as an advanced takedown? Beats simply rotating it.

Edited by B-Dick

I'll go with no. i dont believe finishers should have an auto-crit proc. That and it would make the Aim High skill in the MM/SS tree (dont know its sniper counterpart) slightly less useful since that already gives 15% crit chance to quickdraw/takedown.

if you take that off and take off the 3min cooldown, im ok with 2/2.5, then it would be a yes.

I think the TD part is more for lethality's sake, because auto-crit cull is OP and they don't want lethality to use EP

The new laze target is a slight nerf to sustained in MM PVE (according to a post by Lift from the Harbinger server repost of this thread).

Again the context was "boring" and lackluster 2-year old cooldown. An ability that leaves a lot to be desired. No one ever thinks of using it because it has such a miniscule impact in PVE and PVP. I'm happy that BioWare is OC and is open to helping us enjoy this class a bit better by suggesting they could change this ability to affect abilities other than Snipe (which is only ever really useful for one spec, which is MM/SS).

I'll write you down as NO. Thanks!

We simply don't need another offensive cooldown. We've already got ours, Target Acquired, and if people are really insistent upon thinking that it's not a good skill then probably never use it. Laze Target is actually very good for what it does. (If you don't keep either skill off cd, there's no other way of putting it - you aren't playing the class correctly.)

Why does our class in particular want this skill to be less boring when there's already plenty of "boring" skills for other classes? Does every skill have to be "exciting"?

The last thing we should be asking for is buffs and trying to change our already powerful abilities into more powerful abilities. It's ridiculous and petty to look down on the other DPS from our tier 1 pedestal trying to nitpick our way to the famed "Tier 0", where our class will be so overpowering that no dps will be allowed to exist in ranked or competitive play.

This isn't tweaking an ability; it's completely changing it in a blatant attempt to get more buffs to what is already considered the strongest ranged dps class in the game.

We simply don't need another offensive cooldown. We've already got ours, Target Acquired

It's weak. Accuracy beyond 110% is useless, and you're going to have 110% in PvE or 105% in PvP anyway. Partial armor reduction translates to a tiny increase in damage, because armor is so weak in TOR to begin with.

The last thing we should be asking for is buffs and trying to change our already powerful abilities into more powerful abilities. It's ridiculous and petty to look down on the other DPS from our tier 1 pedestal ... in ranked...

I think you are playing another game.

#1 DPS are Rage Marauders.

#2 DPS are Rage Juggernauts. It's a close #2, too.

#3 DPS in PvP, as of 2.4, seem to be Advanced Prototype PTs.

#4 DPS, here finally come snipers.

The gap between #3 and #4 is so wide though that no one considers the #4, because #3 add survivability to compete with #1 and utility to compete with #2, while #4 add nothing except being fragile and immobile.

The only way you can feel like snipers are on top is if you're only playing regs, and as solo or generic premade, not as a power premade competing against other 'half ranked team' type premades. This way you write off your losses against stronger teams as "oh it was a premade", while it actually has to do with their comp.

Lowbies learn to think of snipers as OP because snipers develop into their full DPS very early on. They have all their tools as early as levels 30-33 depending on spec , the rest is really just frills. It's a bottom spec heavy class.

But it all changes past level 47, when Warriors and generally other classes can fully spec their tree or hybridize.

Edited by B-Dick

We simply don't need another offensive cooldown. We've already got ours, Target Acquired, and if people are really insistent upon thinking that it's not a good skill then probably never use it. Laze Target is actually very good for what it does. (If you don't keep either skill off cd, there's no other way of putting it - you aren't playing the class correctly.)

Why does our class in particular want this skill to be less boring when there's already plenty of "boring" skills for other classes? Does every skill have to be "exciting"?

The last thing we should be asking for is buffs and trying to change our already powerful abilities into more powerful abilities. It's ridiculous and petty to look down on the other DPS from our tier 1 pedestal trying to nitpick our way to the famed "Tier 0", where our class will be so overpowering that no dps will be allowed to exist in ranked or competitive play.

This isn't tweaking an ability; it's completely changing it in a blatant attempt to get more buffs to what is already considered the strongest ranged dps class in the game.

That is why i counted your vote for NO. If you think Laze Target is powerful then that is what you think and your vote accounts for it. Again the only question here is

On a normal mob in a PVE setting

Laze Target 1 min cooldown

Auto-crit on next Snipe (4000 damage. Widely useful for Marksman spec only) or

Laze Target 2 min or 3 min cooldown

Auto-crit on next

Ambush (MM - 8000)

Explosive Probe (Engineering - 6000)

Takedown (Lethality - 8000)

Laze Target or Smuggler's Luck now affecting abilities relevant to each of the Sniper Gunslinger specs, but increasing its cooldown by at least 100%. This may be a slight sustained DPS loss for Marksman Sharpshooter as well. So Flyburrito, if you look at it this way, we are actually slightly nerfing ourselves :rolleyes: loljk.

Laze Target is so "meh" in all specs other than MM/SS. And even there it is such a marginal sustained DPS gain (as everyone has established during the weeks when we were discussing the Sniper questions). Ok let's put the "boring" and "unexciting" argument aside. Furthering down that argument leads to nothing. The BW proposed Laze Target makes it also useful for Engineering and Lethality, which is a welcome change.

Edited by paowee

It's weak. Accuracy beyond 110% is useless, and you're going to have 110% in PvE or 105% in PvP anyway. Partial armor reduction translates to a tiny increase in damage, because armor is so weak in TOR to begin with.

I think you are playing another game.

#1 DPS are Rage Marauders.

#2 DPS are Rage Juggernauts. It's a close #2, too.

#3 DPS in PvP, as of 2.4, seem to be Advanced Prototype PTs.

#4 DPS, here finally come snipers.

The gap between #3 and #4 is so wide though that no one considers the #4, because #3 add survivability to compete with #1 and utility to compete with #2, while #4 add nothing except being fragile and immobile.

The only reason in PvP why Rage Mara/Juggs might get more DPS is the AOE in certain arenas like Voidstar where you stack up on doors. The numbers may be higher, but the overall single-target focus damage of a sniper is far greater. Unless your strategy in ranked involves stacking smash maras, (and it's mostly bringing just a combat mara at the moment for the speed buff) they would never beat snipers in a dual.

Of course, if we were actually talking about ranged classes and not including melee, we blow the other two out of the water.

As for advanced prototype, you're referring to the PTS server. On live it's a good spec (I have a 55 powertech alt that's been running it for months) that pulls out nice numbers, but on the PTS it's broken because of how tanky they are in a 4v4 environment with no limitations of using their tank stance. If it gets out of the PTS though, expect people to be asking for MM snipers since we actually do incredibly well against AP powertechs. (Marksman will be a great spec for arenas compared to the other two.)

TL;DR:

-Any bigger numbers that smash monkeys pull out is just because they have an AOE, not because they're good at singling down important targets

-AP is broken in the PTS because it's stupid tanky and has no limitations on their stance, but since MM sniper destroys AP, we'll actually be desired against them

-If you think the other two ranged classes don't look at sniper's kit and utility with longing and slight drooling you're a bit silly

Careful please do not derail the thread too much :o. If you could put offtopic discussion inside the spoiler tag:

[ SPOILER ] text here [ /SPOILER ]

it'll be greatly appreciated.

Edited by paowee

The only reason in PvP why Rage Mara/Juggs might get more DPS is the AOE in certain arenas like Voidstar where you stack up on doors. The numbers may be higher, but the overall single-target focus damage of a sniper is far greater.

Is it? Try reading some parses. Smash auto-crits in correct rotation (and it's very easy to play correct) and it's more powerful than any ability a sniper has. It's also instant and AOE. At the very best, snipers might sustain a bit higher on a single target, but they burst lower, and if there is even occasionally another target, Maras score a clear win.

What's more, it's not all about DPS, it's about DPS to survivability ratio. Snipers are glass cannons. Juggs, even in the purest DPS specs, are off-tanks. And Maras, despite not being tankable at all, are just as tough. Overall, DPS Warriors/Knights are tougher than every other class in the game that isn't a tank specced tank class. Powertech AP is their only competitor in this regard.

Unless your strategy in ranked involves stacking smash maras, (and it's mostly bringing just a combat mara at the moment for the speed buff) they would never beat snipers in a dual.

I want to see a dueling tournament won by a sniper.

No, I really do. I mean, it would have to be one of Pot5's best snipers versus a backwater server's middle of the road Mara, and there would have to be the changes I propose, ignoring mitigation - and maybe then it will finally happen, once in a while.

Maybe. So far, dueling tournaments are Warrior/Knight tournaments, anyone else drops out in the very earliest stages. The disparity is enormous. Really the only reason ranked and progression teams don't auto-dismiss snipers like they do even worse DPS classes is because the average Warrior/Knight tends to be a new player's first character, so it takes effort to pick a minimally competent one.

Edited by B-Dick

Is it? Try reading some parses. Smash auto-crits in correct rotation (and it's very easy to play correct) and it's more powerful than any ability a sniper has. It's also instant and AOE. At the very best, snipers might sustain a bit higher on a single target, but they burst lower, and if there is even occasionally another target, Maras score a clear win.

What's more, it's not all about DPS, it's about DPS to survivability ratio. Snipers are glass cannons. Juggs, even in the purest DPS specs, are off-tanks. And Maras, despite not being tankable at all, are just as tough. Overall, DPS Warriors/Knights are tougher than every other class in the game that isn't a tank specced tank class. Powertech AP is their only competitor in this regard.

No, I really do. I mean, it would have to be one of Pot5's best snipers versus a backwater server's middle of the road Mara, and there would have to be the changes I propose, ignoring mitigation - and maybe then it will finally happen, once in a while.

Maybe. So far, dueling tournaments are Warrior/Knight tournaments, anyone else drops out in the very earliest stages. The disparity is enormous. Really the only reason ranked and progression teams don't auto-dismiss snipers like they do even worse DPS classes is because the average Warrior/Knight tends to be a new player's first character, so it takes effort to pick a minimally competent one.

I could really make another 5 paragraph response to this but since I don't want to derail the thread too much, I think it's just safer to say that your idea of balance and my idea of balance widely varies and leave it at that.

The problem isn't laze target/Smuggler's luck, its the ability to do on demand burst when a sniper/gunslinger wants to. Instead, the ability should be changed to better reflect the spec you are running (so basically a stance/cell in a way).

Laze target/smuggler's luck should be modified based on the spec you are running, and obtained only at the top tier of that tree. So for example, at the top of MM is the ability Sniper Volley, getting this ability also grants the ability "laze target", which gives a nice offensive that is based on the spec

So for Marksmen, you are suppose to high single target burst, so allow laze target to increase your crit change by 30% for 5 secs and increases your range by 5m. (Or something along these lines that would be balanced and fair)

(Another option would be, you cant LOS a sniper for a short time, so hiding behind a pillar would be pointless)

For Engineering, make laze target add an extra set of two cluster bombs on a target that explode along side the normal 4 you get from explosive probe, this allows for some extra nice burst for the spec. You could even make those two special cluster bombs be automatic crits.

For lethality, make it so when you use cull, cull adds an extra bleed effect on the target, allowing cull to inflict damage for 3 dots instead of 2. Once again this creates nice single target burst for the class.

For all these new uses for laze target, laze target should have 2 min cd.

So I'm in favoring of laze target need a change, but not in the way bioware proposes cause it still doesn't fix the problem of on demand burst.

The problem isn't laze target/Smuggler's luck, its the ability to do on demand burst when a sniper/gunslinger wants to. Instead, the ability should be changed to better reflect the spec you are running (so basically a stance/cell in a way).

Laze target/smuggler's luck should be modified based on the spec you are running, and obtained only at the top tier of that tree. So for example, at the top of MM is the ability Sniper Volley, getting this ability also grants the ability "laze target", which gives a nice offensive that is based on the spec

So for Marksmen, you are suppose to high single target burst, so allow laze target to increase your crit change by 30% for 5 secs and increases your range by 5m. (Or something along these lines that would be balanced and fair)

(Another option would be, you cant LOS a sniper for a short time, so hiding behind a pillar would be pointless)

For Engineering, make laze target add an extra set of two cluster bombs on a target that explode along side the normal 4 you get from explosive probe, this allows for some extra nice burst for the spec. You could even make those two special cluster bombs be automatic crits.

For lethality, make it so when you use cull, cull adds an extra bleed effect on the target, allowing cull to inflict damage for 3 dots instead of 2. Once again this creates nice single target burst for the class.

For all these new uses for laze target, laze target should have 2 min cd.

So I'm in favoring of laze target need a change, but not in the way bioware proposes cause it still doesn't fix the problem of on demand burst.

So which one will you pick?

Auto-crit on next Snipe

Auto-crit on next

Ambush (MM)

Explosive Probe (Engineering)

Takedown (Lethality)

Just so i have a firm understanding of where to put your vote. Otherwise you seem to be abstaining.

Edited by paowee

:rak_02::rak_02::rak_02: I am a waaaaay under-average sniper and i can count on one hand the number of times i rememeber losing to a knight. Fair enough that i never play rated, but most knights that killed me were part of premades of guilds that did, and i do remember going down with a fight. On the other hand, i do remember having an impossible day fighting capable snipers and slingers on my mara... If maras are scissors then snipers are rock. I'll just leave it at that :rak_02::rak_02::rak_02:

Back on topic, i'd love to see laze target change, since i find it so useless not playing MM i can't even remember where it's keybound

Edited by Kawabonga

:rak_02::rak_02::rak_02: I am a waaaaay under-average sniper and i can count on one hand the number of times i rememeber losing to a knight.

That's only possible if you play at really low end. Like pre-55, or 55 without premades and get luck not to Q against a proper premade.

One on one, Warriors/Knights defeat a Sniper of equal skill. Granted, the Sniper can hold off for a little while if he knows to kite and the fight seems close (can take a lot of HP off), but the result is consistent.

Note that the average skill of Knights/Warriors is the lowest of all classes, and in regs and pre-55 especially much lower than average, simply because it's the first class newbies make.

And yes, when I play a sniper and guard a node (sadly you often have to), I avoid outright calling for support when I see a solo incompetent running towards me. It's easy to tell by the path they take, incompetents use a slightly suboptimal trajectory due to keyboard turn, good players turn very clean and make a nice curved line.

But when it's a top regstar or ranked Knight... you can delay, but you can't win, in the end you'll get him down to 20% or so, but he'll pop cooldowns just as you're about to finish him off with executes, and you don't have anything nearly as powerful, so it can be close, but the sniper's chances are pretty dim.

Wrong cooldown timing or wrong LoS management on his part and he's dead; but solid players don't make these mistakes, it's only something casuals with zero theory behind their game do.

Edited by B-Dick

I don't know if I'd call it a DPS "decrease". My charged burst is critting for 5k and my Aimed shot for 9.5k. It's about 3k -> 5k and 5.5k -> 9.5k. In my opinion it's honestly about the same. I just want my aimed shot to be more consistent.

Something that just popped into my head which is possibly very OP and maybe not even programmable: make Laze Target put a debuff marker on your current target and your next Orbital Strike will track that target throughout its duration. This would obviously have a very long cooldown, probably 3 minutes or more.

In PVE, usefulness would vary from fight to fight, especially since many of the latest boss fights are very light on movement. It wouldn't help much in fights like Terror or Thrasher where you have one big enemy, but against smaller moving targets like Cartel Warlords, Dread Guards, and EC Kephess it would be helpful, though not necessarily a DPS gain.

PVP is where I worry most about it being OP. Being able to avoid AoE's is a fundamental element of PVP and if suddenly the strongest AoE in the game is tracking you, that could cause a lot of problems.Perhaps making it tech cleansable would assuage this issue.

Paowee, I guess put me in the "undecided/abstain" camp. I agree that LT needs some sort of change, but a longer cooldown for just another auto-crit is unappealing to me.

I am for changing it. I don't really want to put a lot of thought in to it at this time; however, I want more control of burst. Not a CD I have to sustain to get damage out of it. I find that if I play Lethality/DF I don't even get to use it half the time.

Hold $*** OP much. I think I need to go change my pants... If they do this Engineering would be sooooooo OP it would be ridiculous. You literally increase your damage exponentially based off of how many targets you hit. That roll ability on its own will account for ~25% of your single target damage in a rotation. Now you add more damage and make it crit for EACH target it hits...**** Tita mobs will die sooooooooooooooooo fast in 16 Man NiM to 1 Engineer.

I like the way this is going, but I feel it would not put out enough damage to notice a difference. Do we have a resident math wizz willing to do some theory crafting?

Edited by Grimsblood

Hold $*** OP much. I think I need to go change my pants... If they do this Engineering would be sooooooo OP it would be ridiculous. You literally increase your damage exponentially based off of how many targets you hit. That roll ability on its own will account for ~25% of your single target damage in a rotation. Now you add more damage and make it crit for EACH target it hits...**** Tita mobs will die sooooooooooooooooo fast in 16 Man NiM to 1 Engineer.

Cluster bombs man... Not scatter bombs. It really isn't much actually, I'd say the extra 10 energy would be a nice bonus

Edited by CJNJ

The only reason in PvP why Rage Mara/Juggs might get more DPS is the AOE in certain arenas like Voidstar where you stack up on doors. The numbers may be higher, but the overall single-target focus damage of a sniper is far greater. Unless your strategy in ranked involves stacking smash maras, (and it's mostly bringing just a combat mara at the moment for the speed buff) they would never beat snipers in a dual.

Of course, if we were actually talking about ranged classes and not including melee, we blow the other two out of the water.

As for advanced prototype, you're referring to the PTS server. On live it's a good spec (I have a 55 powertech alt that's been running it for months) that pulls out nice numbers, but on the PTS it's broken because of how tanky they are in a 4v4 environment with no limitations of using their tank stance. If it gets out of the PTS though, expect people to be asking for MM snipers since we actually do incredibly well against AP powertechs. (Marksman will be a great spec for arenas compared to the other two.)

TL;DR:

-Any bigger numbers that smash monkeys pull out is just because they have an AOE, not because they're good at singling down important targets

-AP is broken in the PTS because it's stupid tanky and has no limitations on their stance, but since MM sniper destroys AP, we'll actually be desired against them

-If you think the other two ranged classes don't look at sniper's kit and utility with longing and slight drooling you're a bit silly

The only reason is aoe hmm? Can snipers do that much dmg with engi? Heck no. "Unless your strategy involves stacking smashers", umm..that is ALWAYS the strategy. Try again. Your idea that a sniper would always beat a smash Mara 1v1 is ridiculous. A MM sniper would especially never do this, as it's white dmg is blocked by maras' very powerful dcs and armor. Lethality and Engi are better at ignoring dcs, but because of long build-up burst or for engi no clear defined burst, they don't deliver. Hybrid is the only spec that you could maybe kill a Mara of the same experience lvl with, as even though it does less overall dmg long-term than lethality, it has more clear, defined, burst combined with DoTs to get through dcs/armor than all the other specs.

Assuming NO LoS objects at all, no wals, anything. Also assuming Hybrid spec 4/16/26 with LT.

How I would open fight: Entrench - OS on top of self (Mara goes oh crap..do I stay back and do barely any dmg or waste my saber ward here, probably opting for 2nd option), apply dots and maybe cull. OS ends, knife stun, KB, and leg shot mara. Go through EP, SoS, Cull. Mara is back, pop medpac and flash bang. After this pop shield probe, than evasion at 25% and just go through normal DPs rotation. Yes the Mara will choke you, more than once. Whenever you see berserk - shockwave you run away or stun Mara till it's over, and no ultra smash.

Doing all this, CAN you beat a same experience lvl Mara? 99% chance not, *** they have SO much crit fueled, armor ignoring burst, that they will knock the crap out of you, their dcs adding the final, perfect, last touch.

As to MM being good against AP, I think not. You said yourself AP is tanky, and MM is terrible against tanks or anything tanky. It is just pure, white dmg. MM is best against healers, and weak DPs classes including other snipers. With lethality still being decent against those, it's long set-up overall good dps,and anti-tankness is best for pvp (not comparing to engi, it is good all around) with its mobility being the last touch. MM however, will be "best" for arenas with short burst, leading me to believe snipers will not be able to help as much as maras, pts, or even mercs in arenas. I might personally try hybrid in arenas, but the burst taking a while to set-up, the get back to burst, might cause it to get healed through too much just like full lethality.

Overall I also agree the outlook is dim for snipers when it comes to arenas.

Community: Laze Target (1 min cd, auto crit on next Snipe or Charged Burst) is boring.. not to mention weak

BioWare: We can change it but at the cost of increased cooldown

BioWare left us a question. SHOULD WE ANSWER? We should! Remember Laze Target Smuggler's Luck is a default Sniper Gunslinger ability that needs to be applicable to not one, but ideally to ALL 3 specializations.

So which one will you pick?

In PVP:

In PVE

This is a WELCOME change that benefits not only 1 spec (MM), but applies to key abilities in Engineering (EP) and Lethality (TD) as well.

IN COMPARISON TO THE SNIPER COMMUNITY QUESTIONS SHEET:

38% participation

(will count number of unique snipers/slingers in this thread.

will update this number every 24 hours)

VOTES:

We would like BioWare's new Laze Target (Smuggler's Luck)

paowee / b'oard

cjnj

b-dick

falver

lucky

telanis

mathegmaica

shyroman

kowabonga

Just keep the current Laze Target (Smuggler's Luck)

forsakenking

flyburito

No vote / abstain / undecided

notomorrow

thejanitor

I would rather see something else for Lethality as your not always guaranteed takedown proc. Remember its a percent chance and as with all chances there's a chance that it does not proc at all. Since I play Lethality about 99% of the time when I'm on my sniper or slinger I see the proc not proccing way more then I should.

To bring it in line with the other abilities usefulness in the sense that both ambush/EP are used as mainstays for there respective trees, do something with Cull. Maybe do an increased critical chance or increased damage. This would also bring lethality back into the mix for higher parses as there have been alot of talks as to why lethality isnt up there with the current parses.

See... i am very much sure any changes that we suggest to make Laze Target a "useful" ability is only going to deaf ears. We are already one of the highest sustained DPS classes (in PVE) that all the suggestions would only serve to widen the DPS gap. We are already up there alongside Operatives and Marauders and asking that Laze Target autocrit on all abilities or make it work with Scatter Bombs or Cull is just pushing it. Realitiscally that will never happen. This thread is only to gather whatever support I can in response to the question BioWare left us:

Do you want to keep the current Laze Target, or are you fine with us increasing its cooldown, maybe a minute or two, but it will now affect Ambush, EP and Takedown instead?

Keep that in mind when deciding NO or ABSTAIN. The choice is simply between Laze Target (Snipe) or Laze Target (Ambush/EP/TD). Abstaining because you want Laze Target to be buffed even more is not looking at this the right way. If given the chance to take the new laze target, i definitely will but i can not forward this to eric or amber and say (hey i like this change, can you send it to the devs? i need more than just me for this to happen).

Paowee, I guess put me in the "undecided/abstain" camp. I agree that LT needs some sort of change, but a longer cooldown for just another auto-crit is unappealing to me.

Phoenix and darthruthmokney, if you guys are abstaining because you are hoping for a more powerful Laze Target, i am telling you it won't happen ._. Laze Target being useful for other specs (and a better on-demand burst ability IMO) is as good as it is going to get especially given our already "solid" state in PVE

Edited by paowee