[Sniper Gunslinger Initiative] An opportunity to change Laze Target presents itself

paowee

Consider me agreeing to a change to Laze.

It used to have meaning (to marks / marks hybrid) with the crit causing ambush proc now has no meaning at all just a pointless boost. I'd rather have something interesting to use.

e.g.

A high up talent modifier:

Lethality: Snipe causes dots to auto crit for x seconds for example (energy regen) - in turn allows for use of higher energy abilities. - Possibly some extra weakening blast stacks something like that.

Engi: Snipe significantly increases the damage of overcharge shot for x seconds

(always felt like overcharge shot was a bit wasted wanted to try something to try make it more usable, but don't have much engi experience at all in 2.0).

Marks: Single snipe procs FT cooldown + double ambush cast reduction

Edited by Solar_Breeze

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right lets stay on topic. While i'm voting for the change just to take anything, i like lz ambush but not TD or EP. They don't deliever as much as lazed ambush, and that is unfair to the other specs. Secondly, since BW disapproves of Hybrid, they could per say make it do great things for engi and lethality for people to stop using Hybrid. For Lethality: Either lazed cull, or makes next OS free. For engi, add more scatter bombs with lazed ep. Not the os cause os is already buffed in engi. And make these lvl 40+ skill points.

Just an idea, and would help BW kill Hybrid, which i know they want to do. Probably is "too OP' though. I just think lazed TD or EP is not giving us as much as lazed Ambush would. Still voting for changes.

I vote for "I want change but not this one so i'll stick with the current LT/SL."

While the changes the dev's suggested are cool, I wouldn't want them at the sacrifice of a 60 second cooldown. Illegal Mods/Target Acquired I see as our strong, long cooldown ability. Smuggler's Luck/Laze Target is more of a utility with the guaranteed critical hit and serves a moderate DPS boost. I've already stated my feelings about where I'd like to see Smuggler's Luck/Laze Target be, and I believe just adding/changing the attacks it effects is a horizontal progression or a step backwards.

I'd prefer for Laze Target to be diversified by the Sniper's skill trees to fit each build in terms of utility rather than just burst or just sustained DPS. NoTomorrow's initial suggestions are more appealing to me than what the dev's suggested. I am also not fond of the idea of improving the front damage of an auto-crit ability as the way critical rating scales versus power has many players running little to no crit, so auto-crit abilities a off-balanced right now.

Aww Svii! Hmm.. What is your context, PvP or PvE? Also BW meant Targe Acquired/Illegal Mods, not laze target/smuggler's luck.

Hehe, but I know they think that! :p My context is that LT is "MEH!" and I'd like a change, but not the one suggested. Guess I'm in the last category of voters.

Sorry for sounding negative, but I really don't have strong feelings either way for LT.

Guys guys, as much as we all love ambush, we all know that this is not our universal ability. It's more often used in MM than in other specs. I'd rather we find some use for Series of Shots with it.

Making it crit one single ability like Ambush FT, Takedown once every 2-3 minutes is underwhelming.

Edited by NoTomorrow

How about change it to this: Make next Ambush instant cast, auto crit, and no energy cost. Ambush hits hard enough so that all specs will use it when it is instant cast, auto crit, and no energy cost.

Alternatively, we can use make it apply to Takedown instead if people don't like it on Ambush: Refresh cooldown on Takedown and make it usable on any health target, and auto crit, and no energy cost.

Edited by Ashuranrx

I'm not in favor of this change. I'm not against changing laze target to do something else, but anything that makes the CD longer I am NOT for. I don't care if it's more helpful for duels, or team death matching i.e. arenas that I'll be only marginally participating in going forward.

I hate the fact our target acquired is on such a long CD. One minute is about the limit on my voluntary toleration of CDs. Take diversion, it's perfect imo. 6 sec affect (I'll use it to debuff melee DPS in a pinch too), 60 sec CD.

It's never always there, but it's usually there when I really need it.

Laze target as it is now is okay...but I really dislike waiting more then a minute for skills to become available. In a WZ that's an eternity.

Edited by islander

I feel a minute and a half is the ideal cooldown time, but that is just me. I just want more oomph from this skill, and if a two-minute cooldown is what it takes, then so be it.

Let a future set bonus take it down to 1.5 min. Or a talent. Idk. (That is, assuming they will ever stop being the most boring game in existence when it comes to set bonuses...I mean seriously, only two set bonuses for almost two years?)

so notomorrow i guess i'll write you down as Abstain (?).

PVE - I like it because Engineering will have a use for it. And also because Lethality will have a use for it in its current 2.0 rotation. MM is fine as it is. Other specs need some lovin' :). All we see are MM Snipers and Hybrid Snipers -_-

PVP - I like it because Lazed Ambush - FT is a better "Oops i gotcha!" burst than Lazed Snipe - FT or (Lazed Snipe - Snipe - FT which is more of sustained DPS anyways). From my normal warzone experience, its a cooldown i'll save for when i see a healer stunned with no CC break sitting at 40% health, do a Lazed Ambush - FT for guaranteed crit (1.5 secs) and then finish of with TD - FT. Sure i won't be using it on cooldown to increase sustained DPS (~30 PS over ~5ish minutes according to mathh by namesaretough and ssfish), but i like the idea of saving a cooldown and using at at the right moment and see a satisfying kill.

Thanks for your input guys. Yes or No or Abstain, don't matter. Keep em coming!

bump.
Any reasoning for why? Or just like it the way it is? :) I see you are a Commando-Medic >_<; What's your experience and thoughts about LT in raiding/flashpoints or PVP? Edited by paowee

Any reasoning for why? Or just like it the way it is? :) I see you are a Commando-Medic >_<; What's your experience and thoughts about LT in raiding/flashpoints or PVP?

I only list my main, I only PVP. The class is great the way it is, I don't need more/better offensive cooldown.

I only list my main, I only PVP. The class is great the way it is, I don't need more/better offensive cooldown.
Ok i guess-__-. Putting you up on the No voters then. Was waiting for any sort of reasoning before adding you in.

Im going to propose something competely different from this.

A new ability that REPLACES Laze Target

Name: Targeting Probe

Ability: 8 meter AOE De-Buff

Range: Anywhere up to 30 meters

De-Buff Effect: 5% extra damage on all targets within the AOE

Duration: 15 Seconds

CD: 45 Sec

Some talents to go WITH this ability

Probe Engineering(Engineering Talent): Increases duration of Targeting Probe by 3 seconds and Increases all Probe damage on targets affected by Targeting Probe by 5%

Marked For Death (Marksman Talent): Takedown can be used on targets at any health level if affected by Targeting Probe

Lethal Probing(Lethality Talent): Increases Radius of Targeting Probe by 2 Meters and Increase DoT damage of targets affected by Targeting Probe by 5%

So, this ability would cater to ALL Sub classes of Sniper by giving them buffs to damage of all their abilities AND making some improvements to clutch DPS of some classes (Lethality and Marksman)

So, would anyone welcome this ability? or will this idea be shunned?

Most likely shunned. I doubt BW will change any ability based on player "submissions." They merely offered to consider changing Laze Target to Ambush/EP/TD (i guess since we asked about it) , but they'll have to increase its cooldown.

If all it's going to be is still ONE auto-crit, that cooldown better not be above one and a half to two minutes or that would be a complete waste of redesign. If they want to make it more like Force Potency I would be ok with over two minutes if the cooldown had mutiple charges.