Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

CourtneyWoods

Sadly I have to agree here. If there is one person I point to that helped make the PvP experience MUCH worse it's Gabe. Sorry buddy, you've failed the game and community and it's pretty clear you don't have a lot of PvP experience and should have never had the position you were assigned.

At least the PvP is one of the most balanced compared to other mmos.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have got to be Kidding.

In a Galaxy in the middle of war the PvP option is based on some Hutt wanting some sport. And the empire and republics best warriors not fighting in a war but participating in some Hutt sponsored leisure pursuit?

Where is the Galactic War? Where is the Republic vs the Empire, where is the open world PvP and the faction control. You are managing to dumb PvP down to the lowest common denominator. It feels like the PvP team want to be working on some first person shooter rather than a Star Wars MMO. Where is the War?

Sadly I have to agree here. If there is one person I point to that helped make the PvP experience MUCH worse it's Gabe. Sorry buddy, you've failed the game and community and it's pretty clear you don't have a lot of PvP experience and should have never had the position you were assigned.

You know? From a guild named after a Rob Dougan album and so-called Master of Aequitas, I expected more.

Edited by ELECTRICJUDGMENT

You have got to be Kidding.

In a Galaxy in the middle of war the PvP option is based on some Hutt wanting some sport. And the empire and republics best warriors not fighting in a war but participating in some Hutt sponsored leisure pursuit?

Where is the Galactic War? Where is the Republic vs the Empire, where is the open world PvP and the faction control. You are managing to dumb PvP down to the lowest common denominator. It feels like the PvP team want to be working on some first person shooter rather than a Star Wars MMO. Where is the War?

I don't care why I get to kill the opposing faction. Take your lore to an rp server.

Alex, can we please get a separate queue for for Objective oriented WZs and Arenas? Not all of us want to be forced into deathmatches during our PVP time. There are also some of us who have a very sour taste in our mouth from our Arena experiences from The Big Blue.

My question I was going to ask is somewhat about this and that is will there be any chance to separate 8v8 and arenas in the normal queues if it shows that server populations can handle it?

That is a possibility depending on other factors besides queue population as well, but not promises and definitely no timetable on such a change.

and again Bioware show they have no business running a MMO and knows absolutely nothing about PvP.

People are excited over this because they cling to hope, like they did when the debacle that was Ilum was launched and then the big ilum "revamp" that was going to be super awesome and bring Orvr to swtor in a big way. Then of course it was a disaster and was ultimately a waste of resources.

Warhammer has been on life support for years, content doesnt arrive and the players there do nothing but PvP and the reason they do is because there are objectives, if Ilum had 2 bases, one at each end that are able to be captured by the other faction then there would be PvP there, all the time.

People like objectives and progression in a MMO, pvp gear in swtor is comically easy to get and doesnt even really progress your character with the idiotic and overcomplex bolster system.

All this shows is that they have given up any ghost and are setting their sights on smaller and smaller things, forcing objective pvpers into smaller death match garbage will ultimately result in less pvp and less pvpers.

Edited by Slurmez

Okay.. Some of my questions got answered other places.. But I still have two burning ones that weren't answered.

How does it work if you queue for arenas with 2 or 3 people? Is that just not possible or what? And will we have to make sure to queue as different roles to have a chance to get arena pop.

How does a player dropping get handled? Round forfeit? Round replayed once a replacement gets there? How? All this for non-ranked.. Ranked play should keep the result of the round no matter what, to avoid misuse.

I have a very important question about class and balance changes. If you do make changes for classes based on arena play how do you plan to implement these? Are they going to be changes that affect the whole game? Or are you going to balance within the arena itself with some type of buff/debuff system.

The reason i ask this is in wow balance changes made specifically for arena severely affected other parts of the game like raids or regular battlegrounds. Some classes were nerfed into the ground and became unusable in raids.

I am hoping you will balance this within the arena system itself so it doesn't affect the rest of the game. I see this as one of the major faults in the wow arena system.

I don't care why I get to kill the opposing faction. Take your lore to an rp server.

Go Play a first person shooter.

MMO arena's are nothing more than fight clubbing fotm builds. When a group of smash monkies turn the arenas into a mindless 2 skill rotation there isn't much skill in this form of PvP. Where MMO PvP holds its ground is tactics and mass battles, if its 4v4 death match at least play a game that it takes some skill to hit who you are aiming at rather than which spec has the best burst damage.

The main selling point of this game, since day one, has been Star Wars.

If this wasn't Star Wars, this game would have been dead at the 1 year mark.

Perhaps I should have said "the story," implying the fact that it takes place in the Star Wars universe. Which is an integral part of the draw of the story.

But there are other games out there people can play if they just want to swing a lightsaber around.

Go Play a first person shooter.

MMO arena's are nothing more than fight clubbing fotm builds. When a group of smash monkies turn the arenas into a mindless 2 skill rotation there isn't much skill in this form of PvP. Where MMO PvP holds its ground is tactics and mass battles, if its 4v4 death match at least play a game that it takes some skill to hit who you are aiming at rather than which spec has the best burst damage.

Tell us how you really feel.

You know? From a guild named after a Rob Dougan album and so-called Master of Aequitas, I expected more.

Sorry to disappoint you with the facts.

Speaking of the facts, lets review.

The guild is 10 years old and named after a Rob Dougan song (not the album of the same name) which appeared in the Matrix Trilogy of films. What's more I didn't pick the name.

The title "Master" is a guild rank.

Aequitas is from Latin meaning justice, equality, or fairness and I am being MORE than fair in my statement that Gabe was the one dev that I can point to who delivered onto this game THE WORST PvP changes in the history of the game. He was out of his element and shouldn't have had the position.

If you'd like to talk more about it and why PM me. Lets not clutter the thread with old (and bitter) issues.

I'm happy that hardcore PVPers are getting new rated content - although I have to admit I don't understand the need to completely remove the already existing 8x8 Ranked Warzones.

However, as someone who solo queues 99.99% of the time and as of late only does PVP, I'm not looking forward to 2.4

If I understand what has been said correctly:

1. Normal Warzones and Arenas will be in the same queue. Meaning that instead of giving us the option to choose which map we'd like to play which is something lots of people have been asking for for a while now, you are making things worse by making it even more random if we'll be playing a map with objectives (which some of us like) or a deathmatch which will favor fotm classes even more than now. (I predict the Smasher population will rise to Anakin's midichlorian count levels, come October)

2. Still no mention of a fix for Premades vs Pugs. This has been discussed extensively in various threads all over the forum and you guys don't really seem to care about it at all. In fact, you are making things a lot worse by allowing 4 premade players to go up against 4 pug players in Arenas (not talking about ranked ones). At the very least, with the current (and already unfair) system you can HOPE that the rest of the 4 players of the enemy team are useless so you might have a chance. With 2.4 you are effectively increasing the chances of an even worse PVP experience and, basically, telling people who solo queue that you don't care at all about their experience.

All in all, I'm pretty disappointed.

I will enjoy the PVP we have now until that changes and since it's the only thing I find interesting enough to invest serious time in any more, I will not be sticking around for 2.4.

But I do wholeheartedly wish that people will enjoy them just as much as you hope they will.

Edited by TheNahash

The update page says its "Giradda currently has three Arenas of Death set up for his pleasure on Corellia, Tatooine, and an Orbital Station; each one presenting a different layout that will require varying techniques and strategies to master."

Where it should say Makeb, Tatoonie and an Orbital Station

The update page says its "Giradda currently has three Arenas of Death set up for his pleasure on Corellia, Tatooine, and an Orbital Station; each one presenting a different layout that will require varying techniques and strategies to master."

Where it should say Makeb, Tatoonie and an Orbital Station

Look through the Dev Tracker. He eplained why it said that.

Not willing to search through the many pages this thread already has, but i'd just like to point out i noticed the simpson's references in you guy's character names for the screenshots.

"Crom'lent"

"Kwyjibo"

probably more references in others, but those two stuck out to me