I got Treek - why do I have to level up her gear as well?

UltimateKrucible

Yeah, this is kind of what I expected - especially when I got the second set of gear in the post. It just boggles the mind that an endgame companion ... unless you spend CC on it ... doesn't some with endgame gear.

Funnily enough, in the 'guide to buying Treek', none of this gets mentioned - only that you have to be lvl ten. At no point does it say '.... because Treek comes with lvl 10 gear'.

Well hope others considering getting the Ewok are duly warned - so glad I didn't waste real money on this.

i would hardly call better equipping a squadmate that can to do its job better than any other companion a big deal to not warrant a purchase. Besides only cost me 1.3 million credits for a unlock without the legacy requirement.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big gripe with Hk-51 was that he only came with level 50 gear, and therefore was useless to anyone who unlocked him for their lowbie alts. His level 50 was also sucky for level 50 and I had to completely replace all his gear. I'm also not satisfied using Treek with anytihng less than 69's, and I'm pretty sure Bioware would not give us a companion with a set of gear that players could pull out her mods and use. That would make her an easy way for players to buy awesome end-game gear and just imagine the outcry then.

It's a good point - but aren't they doing that anyway, only at a much lower lvl?

TBH - I didn't know that people complained about HK, or that this had been a problem when they introduced the last 'extra' companion. Guess they don't learn from their mistakes, eh?

i would hardly call better equipping a squadmate that can to do its job better than any other companion a big deal to not warrant a purchase. Besides only cost me 1.3 million credits for a unlock without the legacy requirement.

I agree - if you are paying credits (I paid a similar amount to you - no biggie). But paying real money for something that's basically a dud until you gear it up is a bit of a swizz, imo.

Edited by UltimateKrucible

It's a good point - but aren't they doing that anyway, only at a much lower lvl?

Level 10 mods aren't a big deal. You'll outlevel them in a few hours. Being able to buy end-game raiding gear is where you really cross the line.

TBH - I didn't know that people complained about HK, or that this had been a problem when they introduced the last 'extra' companion. Guess they don't learn from their mistakes, eh?

They learned from that mistake and made a new one. :o

What they REALLY need to design is gear that scales, like the WoW heirloom gear. But not make it so OP as that stuff is at lower levels.

1st world problems.

It's not hard to gear your Treek to level 55. You can get blue 66 gear for dirt cheap. If anything, this is a minor (and by minor I mean woefully, nominally, and insignificantly impactful in any way) annoyance. Now if Treek bugged out every time you used her causing you to die or something, that would be pretty bad.

How about the OP and others griping about this turn their attention to important things like ability lag, texture fail (getting stuck on everything), and companion pathing issues.

1st world problems.

It's not hard to gear your Treek to level 55. You can get blue 66 gear for dirt cheap. If anything, this is a minor (and by minor I mean woefully, nominally, and insignificantly impactful in any way) annoyance. Now if Treek bugged out every time you used her causing you to die or something, that would be pretty bad.

How about the OP and others griping about this turn their attention to important things like ability lag, texture fail (getting stuck on everything), and companion pathing issues.

Opinion noted. How about starting your own thread to discuss your own personal gripes? Just food for thought. :rolleyes:

You think it's fail because you are looking at Treek the wrong way. She's designed to be a bonus for high level players who are leveling alts to make it easier, hence the legacy level requirement. I would have killed to have had a healer comp while leveling my Guardian or Slinger at level 10, instead I had to wait until chapter 2. Now Treek fills that gap so come level 10 you always have the option of having a healer and/or tank at your side no matter what your first companion was originally.

Yeah, this is kind of what I expected - especially when I got the second set of gear in the post. It just boggles the mind that an endgame companion ... unless you spend CC on it ... doesn't some with endgame gear.

Treek is not an endgame companion. HK was an endgame companion.

Treek is designed to be useable from level 10 onward...regardless of how you spend to acquire her and regardless when you unlock her.

Edited by Andryah

This is how to fix this. instead of getting another set of LVL 10 gear awarded when you finish the little quest to get Treek. How about have a variety of levels of gear awarded but have the "Choose One" option for that.

The high end I think should be Tier 66 blues.

included should be implants and earpiece like you had with LVL 51 items for HK.

This is how to fix this. instead of getting another set of LVL 10 gear awarded when you finish the little quest to get Treek. How about have a variety of levels of gear awarded but have the "Choose One" option for that.

The high end I think should be Tier 66 blues.

included should be implants and earpiece like you had with LVL 51 items for HK.

A great idea ... sadly, this will never be implemented.

You think it's fail because you are looking at Treek the wrong way. She's designed to be a bonus for high level players who are leveling alts to make it easier, hence the legacy level requirement. I would have killed to have had a healer comp while leveling my Guardian or Slinger at level 10, instead I had to wait until chapter 2. Now Treek fills that gap so come level 10 you always have the option of having a healer and/or tank at your side no matter what your first companion was originally.

Yeah, I see that. But seriously - how many people are actually going to do that? Most people at legacy lvl 40 will have already had their fill of alts. The only people I've seen with Treek are lvl 55s like myself who've bought her as an indulgence because we've got everything else we want, or are completionists.

And just to derail my own thread a bit - and I'm not just moaning for the sake of it, you brought it up - Isn't the idea of having a healer/tank companion from lvl 10 slipping into 'pay to win' territory?

The game's lvling experience is pretty balanced for each class ... but now you say that Treek isn't intended for endgame at all, it's to use from lvl 10 - running the risk of totally disrupting that balance?

This isn't something I'd thought about ... I was just complaining that I had to go through the tedious and expensive process of modding the hairy thug. But the more I dwell on this, the less I like what I see.

And just to derail my own thread a bit - and I'm not just moaning for the sake of it, you brought it up - Isn't the idea of having a healer/tank companion from lvl 10 slipping into 'pay to win' territory?

The game's lvling experience is pretty balanced for each class ... but now you say that Treek isn't intended for endgame at all, it's to use from lvl 10 - running the risk of totally disrupting that balance?

This isn't something I'd thought about ... I was just complaining that I had to go through the tedious and expensive process of modding the hairy thug. But the more I dwell on this, the less I like what I see.

Not remotely close to how much presence buffs from max companion affections does. And you can't pay for that :p

Yeah, I see that. But seriously - how many people are actually going to do that? Most people at legacy lvl 40 will have already had their fill of alts. The only people I've seen with Treek are lvl 55s like myself who've bought her as an indulgence because we've got everything else we want, or are completionists.

I've got 4 55s and 4 alts at 12, 15, 24, 35. I unlocked Treek for my legacy just for the fact that I can use her for all my characters going forward. I much prefer her gear situation this way to the way HK was done (who I unlocked at level 1 on my consular, which was freaking awesome). HK's gear is completely useless at low levels, and you must immediately get at least a sniper rifle for it to be useful. Treek is already geared and ready to go if I get her at 10 (and probably up to 15 or so). Alternatively, since I am legacy level 40, I have plenty of credits and crafting ability to gear her up if I acquire her at a higher level.

I'm not sure how Treek unbalances the leveling process. If anything, it balances the classes further, as any class can now have a healer/tank from level 10 forward.

It's not so much that Treek isn't meant for end game, as much as it is meant to not give useful mods that players can use themselves at endgame (note only 2 classes would benefit as well, leading to more imbalance). Giving her all green (non-moddable) gear at whatever level the player character is at time of acquisition wouldn't be that good either, as most players would still want to gear her up better than that; on top of that, orange gear would need to be used that wasn't given with the companion.

The whole Treek = P2W argument has been done to death on the forums. Let's not start that again.

Your just a ray of sunshine aren't you? :mad:

I'm sorry - but I'm enough of a SWTOR veteran to know that great ideas like this don't get a look in. :(

Anyway, I did some rough checking and it's going to cost ....drumroll...... at least 360,000 credits to bring Treek up to scratch with blue 55 mods. Not a bank-breaking amount, but still a chunk of change. Oddly, almost the exact GTN price of a cartel pack on my server TOFN. But I digress.

So there you have it. Dang furry highwayman should have come with a 'this companion is for fresh characters' warning, I suppose.

I'm sorry - but I'm enough of a SWTOR veteran to know that great ideas like this don't get a look in. :(

Anyway, I did some rough checking and it's going to cost ....drumroll...... at least 360,000 credits to bring Treek up to scratch with blue 55 mods. Not a bank-breaking amount, but still a chunk of change. Oddly, almost the exact GTN price of a cartel pack on my server TOFN. But I digress.

So there you have it. Dang furry highwayman should have come with a 'this companion is for fresh characters' warning, I suppose.

All you need to do is save up some "Basic Commendations" (actually - if you run a lot of dailies you'll probably already have a stack).

So you can immediately gear Treek with purple 66 items in the main armour slots. Weapons are available at reputation vendors.

So all you should need to worry about is belt, bracers and offhand.

they both have shields and the exact same modifications, so it isn't that.

Even if you replace one piece, that doesn't change the fact that you have an almost full set to mod one way and a full set to mod the other way. They start with the same mods, but the whole point of moddable is they don't stay that way.

Edited by Rosiett
addition

Just buy treek some blues off the GTN for tanking or healing (whichever you prefer) and she'll be good to go right away. Her base stats are higher then the other companions so she can hold her own even in blues unless you have a companion that's in full raid gear to use.

1)aim wether it commando or reflex - mix

2)stats critcal ,power,def or aboubtion

3)the rest of them ie sheilds....so on

4)augmenr slot if you want to which is better

5) how much endurnce ad stats 2 and 3

there is no codex to help you with gearing up or how to play her and its the same gift as hk-51 a bit lazy on BW

1)aim wether it commando or reflex - mix

2)stats critcal ,power,def or aboubtion

3)the rest of them ie sheilds....so on

4)augmenr slot if you want to which is better

5) how much endurnce ad stats 2 and 3

there is no codex to help you with gearing up or how to play her and its the same gift as hk-51 a bit lazy on BW

Are you offering advice or asking a question? I can't really discern from your post what it is you're trying to communicate.

There are no character-specific ways to gear up. Treek is a tank/heals that uses AIM as her main stat. It's the same as any other tank or heals companion that uses aim.

Hey! I resent that - I was genuinely asking for help.

It only became a complaint thread when it became clear that, yes, biofail introduced a game component which required extensive endgame experience - only for that component to be useless at endgame!

Hats off to them! They try so hard to get this MMO thing, and fail so hard too. It's almost endearing.

It is NOT useless at endgame. That's like saying HK is useless for leveling but I manage to level all my alts with HK, hmm. It's called getting gear at level. It's not big deal in this game.