The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Its kind of crazy how terrible Sentiels and Marauders are at PVE

Mikeaj

Leaving aside whether or not the OP is trolling or playing his class "wrong" I've leveled a Jedi Sentinel and a Jedi Shadow to max level and I found that I had a far easier time leveling the Jedi Shadow.

One glaring example, I found the final boss battle in the Jedi Knight story to be extremely difficult (I don't want to admit how many times it took me to win). On the other hand I did quite well with the final boss in the Jedi Consular story and if had been paying better attention and hit the interrupt when the boss's one shot kill power was activated it would have only took me one try.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not that i find anything hard with sents its that in comparison they are extremely weak and inflexible.

Sents/Maras bring a ton (maybe the most) team utility; depending on spec? group heals, group Def buffs, group speed buff (EC Kephess anyone?) group dmg boost. Their single target DPS at this point is second only to Sniper/Gunslingers I think, and they are pretty darned close to being on par... Sents/Maras have quite a few defensive cooldowns at their disposal, +Def, +Dmg Reduction, Guarded by the Force? If they are Annihilation/Watchman spec, they can keep their dps going through DoTs when they have to move around to handle boss mechanics.....

They are one of the BEST dps classes.

Sents/Maras bring a ton (maybe the most) team utility; depending on spec? group heals, group Def buffs, group speed buff (EC Kephess anyone?) group dmg boost. Their single target DPS at this point is second only to Sniper/Gunslingers I think, and they are pretty darned close to being on par... Sents/Maras have quite a few defensive cooldowns at their disposal, +Def, +Dmg Reduction, Guarded by the Force? If they are Annihilation/Watchman spec, they can keep their dps going through DoTs when they have to move around to handle boss mechanics.....

They are one of the BEST dps classes.

This. The OP is doing it wrong. I play a juggernaut in PvE as my main. My rotation/priority is flawless and I still cant come within 3% of the marauder in the guild even though we are equally geared.

They are the kings of area damage that more than makes up for the deficiency in single target imo. Mortar Volley does similar damage to master strike but to 5 targets. Plasma grenade - area damage, pulse cannon area damage, sticky grenade - area damage, explosive round small area damage, concussion charge - knock back area damage. In addition grav round reduces armor for the entire group.

Saboteur Gunslingers say hello. So do Focus Knights for that matter.

Master strike can be used twice as often as Mortar Volley. Plasma Grenade uses a quarter of the Manodos ammo and has a 2 sec cast time. If your RDPS is in melee range to use Pulse Cannon you're doing something wrong. Sticky Grenade barley does any damage as AoE, same for Explosive Round.

Meanwhile, Sab GS' can keep Incendiary grenade up the entire fight and throw an AoE damage grenade every 3 seconds if specced for it. Their XS freighter Fly by which hits harder than mortar volley also lasts longer.

Focus knights can drop a 7-10k Sweep every 12 seconds or so.

I would like to know how you conclusde they have better single dps.

Keep in mind your marauder has plenty of Dots while the trooper/BH damage is front loaded. They cant keep it up.

It amazes me how a player can be so clueless about the game mechanics and yet still come here to QQ about it.

Proof or get out i say.

Edited by Nemmar

trooper/BH damage is front loaded.

I suspect herein lies the problem. OP is candy-eyed over the frontload damage of the Trooper/BH classes. Makes the OP feel a little closer to "one-shot wtfpwn". :D

Illusion is powerful to some minds. :)

Edited by Andryah

OP, it's you. Sents/maras are an amazingly capable PvE class. Maybe it's just not your cup of tea and you should try something else.

Eh, healing is way harder than tanking in this game.

I tend to disagree. Then again I also tend to tank everything in the pull. Healing is far more relaxing for me. Far less activity and demanding of my attention even if I use CC, spell interrupts and remove debuffs.

As for commando vs sent. Front loaded classes tend to have an advantage in short duration fights. The longer the duration the more they have to pay attention to their resources. The reverse is true for back loaded classes.

I tend to disagree. Then again I also tend to tank everything in the pull. Healing is far more relaxing for me. Far less activity and demanding of my attention even if I use CC, spell interrupts and remove debuffs.

Total opposite for me. When I tank, I just grab stuff, keep its attention, rotate some defensive CDs and barely need to pay attention.

When I heal, the tank is often taking huge spike damage, dumb DPSers are all standing in damaging crap and 2 or 3 mobs are hitting me the whole time. Stress.

Wonder why we have opposite experiences? I'm curious.

Total opposite for me. When I tank, I just grab stuff, keep its attention, rotate some defensive CDs and barely need to pay attention.

When I heal, the tank is often taking huge spike damage, dumb DPSers are all standing in damaging crap and 2 or 3 mobs are hitting me the whole time. Stress.

While I am not as casual while tanking, I do agree that I am more stressed as a healer. Especially when you get the Rambo-types who like to spread out and each attempt to kill something solo who are really not geared for it nor have the skills for it.

Might as well start from the top. I play a guardian tank and sage healer. Looking to level my commando healer and vanguard tank.

Guardians are a tad clunky due to rage mechanics and not that amazing at aoe threat, though they have improved greatly with the expansion. Lately I haven't been using any CC during pulls, mostly because the dps don't know what CC is and because if they do apply a CC they break it two seconds after it is applied.

This puts me into the position of having to ensure all mobs are attacking me, even the weak ones because the dps sure aren't killing them first.

I started healing in WoW as a paladin, single target healer with a very small tool box and expanded into discipline priest and restoration druid. Sage healing follows a similar design to discipline priests so I draw on a lot of prior experience. I'm pretty big on proactive healing. Using shields, removing debuffs and ccing or interrupting spell casts that might cause some spike damage.

Everything else comes from running the flash points so many times. Because I've tanked the flashpoint I know the mobs, their abilities and most of the possible ways a pug might screw it up. I'm pretty amazed when they surprise me though I have to pry my palm from my face after the mess is cleaned up.

That's pretty much my story.

While I am not as casual while tanking, I do agree that I am more stressed as a healer. Especially when you get the Rambo-types who like to spread out and each attempt to kill something solo who are really not geared for it nor have the skills for it.

I think it's because I have more power to make the run go smoothly when I tank. I can move mobs to make DPS move out of puddles. I can make sure stuff isn't hitting the healer. I can work to mitigate spike damage with CDs and interrupts.

When I heal, mostly I can only react to things my stupid PUG groupmates are doing and try to fix it. I suppose it doesn't help that the average PUG tank puts 2 shield mods in his chest piece and calls it good either.

Edited by Caelrie

My main is sent that i have been playing since release, recently I decided to switch my level 55 commando from the healing to the DPS tree and my god its a little bit crazy how much better commandos are. I mean i understand the reasoning for giving people an incentive to play non jedi classes and i agree with it but tbh its a bit overkill:

1. Ranged > Melee

2. More effective CC

3. Far more effective area damage > Slightly better single target

4. Ability to off heal in a pinch

5. Heavy armor > medium

6. Easier resource management

I still prefer my sentiel because I want to be a jedi but i almost feel bad now when i enter a flashpoint. Its really shocking that there are still so many sents/marauders running around

You are playing it wrong. My Sentinel is awesome. I can't really be bothered to debate it because this is so wrong, I think you're probably just trolling.

But one point I will make - interrupts. Sentinels (esp Watchman) are amazing at interrupts, with a 4 second kick, plus leap as a backup. For some ops, they are crucial, e.g. EC HM, the minefield, back when people were lvl 50. Or KP, Jarg and Sorno, NiM, back when people were 50.

Best interrupters in the game, IMHO, and some ops (and FPs and Heroics) would seriously suck without them.

My main is sent that i have been playing since release, recently I decided to switch my level 55 commando from the healing to the DPS tree and my god its a little bit crazy how much better commandos are. I mean i understand the reasoning for giving people an incentive to play non jedi classes and i agree with it but tbh its a bit overkill:

1. Ranged > Melee

2. More effective CC

3. Far more effective area damage > Slightly better single target

4. Ability to off heal in a pinch

5. Heavy armor > medium

6. Easier resource management

I still prefer my sentiel because I want to be a jedi but i almost feel bad now when i enter a flashpoint. Its really shocking that there are still so many sents/marauders running around

I am not sure if you are trolling or you are serious. Sentinels are better in almost every aspect from commandos with the exception of being ranged and aoe dps. Damage output and survivablity are highly in sentinel's favor, and we are taking PvE wise. PvP with the margin is monstrous. While commandos are okay, sentinel is top dawg.

I have to ask myself if all these people are just that clueless or serious.

Sentinel dps is not on par with commando/gunslinger.....hell even guardians are better ATM.

Anyone saying different hasn't looked at a parser or just trolling.

I feel that any class such as gunslinger/sentinel, should be diligently balanced for current pve content. These two classes should be passing off FOTM dps positions but remain competative each content cycle.

Edited by Spatology

Sentinel dps is not on par with commando/gunslinger.....hell even guardians are better ATM.

I feel that any class such as gunslinger/sentinel, should be diligently balanced for current pve content. These two classes should be passing off FOTM dps positions but remain competative each content cycle.

Not on par =/= worthless or terrible. Classes will never be balanced. No MMO has ever perfectly balanced classes. Whenever a "balance" pass is done, another class gets the short end. That is how it goes.

Not on par =/= worthless or terrible. Classes will never be balanced. No MMO has ever perfectly balanced classes. Whenever a "balance" pass is done, another class gets the short end. That is how it goes.

When you restrict two classes to only having a dps roll. Diligence in class balance is MANDATORY for these classes.

Sorry, but bioware can and has done better.

lol, you're trippin dude. maybe you dont know any good sent? Most good sents easily out-dps commandos and guardians.

don't believe me? check out some parses:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=637291

lol, you're trippin dude. maybe you dont know any good sent? Most good sents easily out-dps commandos and guardians.

don't believe me? check out some parses:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=637291

Yup. Yup. The parsing doesn't lie and it has been that way from the start. There have been a few tweaks and nerfs but in general Sents and Maras have always been near the top of the dps charts.

Sorry OP. You may not prefer the Sent or Mara but you are way off in your generalization. I do hope you aren't trolling and take this to heart. Learn your class and you will be amazed. Or... just bury your head and continue to enjoy the game in whatever way you see fit.

When I play my Sentinel Jedi, I am usually teamed up with a Gunslinger and a Commando. I'm the one usually Tanking for the group. The only time that I get into serious trouble is when we, somehow, aggro 2 or three groups at once. And then, only if each group has an Elite or two in it. Fighting 6 Elites at once an get a little intense when you're not really expecting it.