Here's the problem with making Treek available through the Cartel Market...

Machine-Elf

One million credits is far from obscene, especially if you already have Legacy level 40...

I don't think I'd call it obscene, but it's not trivial. Personally, I've only had 1 million+ creds in my account one time. It didn't last long. Between making purchases for my main and keeping alts geared, credits go quick. Of course, they can be made fairly quick, too, if one is not spending them right away.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the truth is, until this thing was offered, your legacy level 40 WAS meaningless. And now it means something

Exactly. That's why they shouldn't offer a discount on Treek, because discounting his 2100 CC would make my Legacy 40 less valuable. Also, I want something for being a Living Legend.

Like maybe a Red Tauntaun for Living Legends only.

It's boring. There's virtually zero sense of achievement to be gained from a Cartel Market purchase. Personally, I'll be grinding my way to Legacy Level 40 (I'm a meager 10) and one million credits requirement, not because I don't have the disposable income to buy her, but simply because it's more FUN!

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this sentiment. And if other impulse buyers (which I have no qualms in admitting to being) like me are starting to think along the same lines, then BioWare should be exceedingly worried.

I guess my overriding criticism of -- not just Treek, but the Cartel Market in general -- is that it's beginning to feel like cheating. It's as if the more achievement-based free-to-play model (unlock ____ item for ____ amount after reaching Legacy Level _____) is the correct way of playing the game, and the subscription model a cheap Game Genie alternative.

It's your personal sense of achievement and that's fine and the reason why you can obtain her both ways. Who cares how somebody else got it then right? Some people are just as happy to have it and have fun with it. I'm just happy to see those things are being added and some of the reason besides subs is because people are buying them.

The problem is game companies suddenly catering to the neo-casuals who see effort as something to be avoided at all costs. It's the "want it now, don't want to work for it" mentality that has MMO's shifting to simplified controls, console portability and cash shops.

When casual wasn't a dirty word it meant someone who couldn't play 30 hours a week because of real life commitments like work or family. Now it means someone who simply doesn't feel they should have to earn anything. Either they or their parents have deep pockets so they are willing to throw real money at something they want because they hate the thought of grinding out something.

As a casual player in WoW, I obtained "the Insane". I started about 6 months into Wrath and completed it 9 months later (a few months before the launch of Cataclysm). Neo-casual players can't imagine the amount of mind-numbing in-game effort that title requires but it felt right for my Gnome Warlock so I went out and got it. You won't see grinds like that any more because the new paradigm of player wouldn't stand for it.

I'm actually glad that Treek can be obtained either in game or through the cash shop simply because the alternative would be cash shop only. I'm willing to bet that HK is the last companion we will see as an achieved companion and I won't be at all surprised if we see cash shop companions become the norm.

Disappointed, but not surprised...

I haven't bought him/it either way yet and I have the cartel coins, the credits and I have been level 50 legacy for over a year now. Personally I love achievements and titles, but frankly I could care less how anyone gets either beyond how I got mine. It does not effect me or diminish my accomplishment in the least. In other words, I don't care. You want to spend CC, go for it, you want to grind for the credits, go for it. I don't care if everyone in the game has one or has every achievement and title that I have, as a matter of fact I like helping others get titles and achievements, I don't do it because I want to show off, the normal titles I display are Unlucky and Flygirl, I could careless if others know I have 50 legacy, max social, or done NIM anything, it is none of their business and them having the same achievements does not diminish me having it. Edited by mikebevo

I have no problem with them putting cool stuff for sale on the CC, there needs to be more/better stuff on the market for those who don't have the time to play hours and hours each day. Choices are good, you can grind or take a shortcut, either way we all win cause the game profits from both. I have a lot of free time to play the game now but when I go back to school I won't be on much so it would be cool to not have to be glued to my PC in my mom's basement for 12 hours a day to get cool stuff, take my money Bioware, I have no problem with paying to make this game better. I'm glad the women got an Ewok, now put a cool companion for the guys on the market.

The problem is game companies suddenly catering to the neo-casuals who see effort as something to be avoided at all costs. It's the "want it now, don't want to work for it" mentality that has MMO's shifting to simplified controls, console portability and cash shops.

When casual wasn't a dirty word it meant someone who couldn't play 30 hours a week because of real life commitments like work or family. Now it means someone who simply doesn't feel they should have to earn anything. Either they or their parents have deep pockets so they are willing to throw real money at something they want because they hate the thought of grinding out something.

As a casual player in WoW, I obtained "the Insane". I started about 6 months into Wrath and completed it 9 months later (a few months before the launch of Cataclysm). Neo-casual players can't imagine the amount of mind-numbing in-game effort that title requires but it felt right for my Gnome Warlock so I went out and got it. You won't see grinds like that any more because the new paradigm of player wouldn't stand for it.

I'm actually glad that Treek can be obtained either in game or through the cash shop simply because the alternative would be cash shop only. I'm willing to bet that HK is the last companion we will see as an achieved companion and I won't be at all surprised if we see cash shop companions become the norm.

Disappointed, but not surprised...

Without placing judgement, they must cater to those who dominate the market. That happens to be the casuals at the moment.

That could change in the future. This market it no longer dominated or driven by traditional hardcore players. It is much more transient and casual in nature.

It's boring. There's virtually zero sense of achievement to be gained from a Cartel Market purchase. Personally, I'll be grinding my way to Legacy Level 40 (I'm a meager 10) and one million credits requirement, not because I don't have the disposable income to buy her, but simply because it's more FUN!

So it sounds like the problem you describe is one for you and others that share your view. But it also sounds like you have a fun path to avoid the problem.

So I'm not sure why this makes Treek's availability a problem in general.

Is it less of a challenge? Yes, certainly I could agree. From my perspective, there is plenty of challenge in this game. I have limited time and an outside life so right now I only have one toon up to 50 -- not even 55. I'm currently working on getting another toon up to level 55. There is plenty for me to be challenged with and, quite honestly, one less "challenge" is not even noticeable to me, considering that there are numerous other companions on the classes (including HK-51) that I can work through quests to achieve.

It's as if the more achievement-based free-to-play model (unlock ____ item for ____ amount after reaching Legacy Level _____) is the correct way of playing the game

The "correct way" to play the game is how you want to. Personally I have no problem being able to buy Treek via the market. I understand others do. But it seems like we both have options and that doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

For me, there's zero sense of achievement because it can be bought by anyone with CC, so it is pointless to spend effort to obtain it via the legacy route or with CC for that matter.

I'll stick to working towards obtaining things in game that can't be bought with the almighty dollar and let the CM people blow thier money on the fluff stuff that means nothing to me.

If sense of achievement is based on what other people can or can't do easily, then you must have really low standards for trying anything. Surprised you have the motivation to even play a game.

Keyword: fluff.

Fluff should NEVER be achievement based IMO. Nor should QoL perks.

I'm pretty sure, that anyone who has bothered to grind lvl 40+ legacy wouldn't think achieving that as being 'fluff.'

Grinding your legacy level is actually harder than raiding, because you have to do it all on your own, not rely on a number of other people to help you.

I think the reason legacy level achievement gets so little recognition, is because few people have it very high, and so they've written it off as sour grapes, and try to belittle it, or anything that can be earned/bought with high legacy levels. I've seen people crying about legacy and how hard it is to grind up...it's a sign that some people don't want to do something that is hard to earn.

Edited by Lunafox

I'm pretty sure, that anyone who has bothered to grind lvl 40+ legacy wouldn't think achieving that as being 'fluff.'

Grinding your legacy level is actually harder than raiding, because you have to do it all on your own, not rely on a number of other people to help you.

I think the reason legacy level achievement gets so little recognition, is because few people have it very high, and so they've written it off as sour grapes, and try to belittle it, or anything that can be earned/bought with high legacy levels. I've seen people crying about legacy and how hard it is to grind up...it's a sign that some people don't want to do something that is hard to earn.

You don't grind legacy in this game. You play the game and the legacy xp comes with every activity you do. That is why the legacy unlocks are called "perks" rather then achievements or mission rewards, etc. etc.

Basically, you gain legacy for "time served". It is essentially a "seniority" recognition with perks that go along with it. Some people who think of it as grinding for it are bent because they get perks, rather then meaningful grind style rewards.

People can puff up chest all day long about what a marvelous achievement legacy is or what a horrendous "grind" it is... but it's nothing more then puffing chest by whatever side of the argument people choose to take.

And why is this thread still being prosecuted? It's done. Treek is live. She's a million credits for legacy 40 players, or about 2M credits off the GTN for anyone, or 2100 CCs. Each player if free to choose how they want to acquire her, or if they even want to acquire her.

Edited by Andryah

You don't grind legacy in this game. You play the game and the legacy xp comes with every activity you do. That is why the legacy unlocks are called "perks" rather then achievements or mission rewards, etc. etc.

Basically, you gain legacy for "time served". It is essentially a "seniority" recognition with perks that go along with it. Some people who think of it as grinding for it are bent because they get perks, rather then meaningful grind style rewards.

People can puff up chest all day long about what a marvelous achievement legacy is or what a horrendous "grind" it is... but it's nothing more then puffing chest by whatever side of the argument people choose to take.

And why is this thread still being prosecuted? It's done. Treek is live. She's a million credits for legacy 40 players, or about 2M credits off the GTN for anyone, or 2100 CCs. Each player if free to choose how they want to acquire her, or if they even want to acquire her.

Points at my legacy lvl...you don't have to tell me how to do it. But god help the poor person trying to do it with 1 or 2 toons....And plenty of people puff up about a lot of things, this is my one thing I'm proud of, so no one is going to keep me from puffing up about it. I'm proud to be legacy 50.

It's a grind like anything else. If you think playing the same stories over and over again isn't a grind, let me tell ya lol. Hell you should know, you said you have like 20 alts or something on another thread.

Edited by Lunafox

Points at my legacy lvl...you don't have to tell me how to do it. But god help the poor person trying to do it with 1 or 2 toons....And plenty of people puff up about a lot of things, this is my one thing I'm proud of, so no one is going to keep me from puffing up about it. I'm proud to be legacy 50.

I'm legacy 38 or so with like 13 characters on one server, not all of them 50 (only three are 50+). I started at the start, but took a huge break from mid last year to about march this year.

Legacy does appear to have been designed with alt players in mind, given that it comes with the whole family tree thing and special perks unlocked when you play more than one class to 50. Anyone doing it with less than a full roster of characters is going to have a tough time going anywhere with it fast.

It's a grind like anything else. If you think playing the same stories over and over again isn't a grind, let me tell ya lol. Hell you should know, you said you have like 20 alts or something on another thread.

I don't think it's a grind, because you only gain legacy indirectly from doing other activities. You can't directly spend time on just legacy, you have to be doing something else - even grinding dailies yields credits and tokens.