Here's the problem with making Treek available through the Cartel Market...

Machine-Elf

I don't think there is any problem with making treek available through the market.

By the same token I do not see making the tauntaun mount available by in game means only a bad thing either.

I think both are acceptable, and I would guess most find both acceptable as well.

indeed, in fact, was extremely pleased that the taun taun was available ONLY via in game means. while im am a defender of the CM, i do realized that NOT EVERYTHING has to go thru the CM.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

indeed, in fact, was extremely pleased that the taun taun was available ONLY via in game means. while im am a defender of the CM, i do realized that NOT EVERYTHING has to go thru the CM.

I bought treek on the CM, i'm only legacy lvl 16 . But I wish they would of added a quest op for it like the new mount . would of been a great level 10 quest when first landing on fleet or even tie it to the starting flash point your able to do

there are single player games and there are mmo's. entirely different. now i'm not saying you should leave this game. i think it's great you're here, but from what i understand you enjoy from the above statements, there are a couple alternatives you could look at.

you might enjoy skryim more than an mmo. you can open the console, and i think the command is "tgm" to 'toggle god mode.' then you just hit the button that looks fun and you can enjoy the game however you want. however, i don't think skyrim has an option to spend real-life money buying stuff. if that was the thing you're saying you enjoy, you might also enjoy the home shopping network. they have frequent new content updates, and all you have to do is click to buy.

the thing with an mmo is that you're actions do effect others. that's kind of the point. they put other people into the same gamespace so that other people's decisions effect you, and you effect them. that's the fundamental difference between an mmo like this and a single player game. your effect on the game will be especially prominent for those of us who like the "game" aspect if they tailor future development to your needs. if they turn this mmo into a game focused on thinking other people's actions shouldn't be effecting your game, as well as purchasing $20 ewoks, i don't think it would want to stay subbed.

No man you are wrong. My game is hardly effected by someone else companions, or someone's bought speeder, or even someone's bought appearance armor. Oh its gonna cause inflation? Wrong because you can only send out 5 companions no matter what, even if you have 20. So please tell me how me purchasing it with money or credits is going matter.

Lastly don't lecture me on mmo's and single player games, I have been playing mmo's since you were in a diaper boy.

Lastly don't lecture me on mmo's and single player games, I have been playing mmo's since you were in a diaper boy.

i'm willing to bet this isn't true. in my youth i played a text based multi-player game on a green screen screen over a 9 line bulletin board with a 9600 baud modem.

i was only trying to help. if you want to believe you're an island, i can't stop you, but that could be coming from the same sort of imaginary fabricated reality you based your assumptions of me on. if you don't have facts to work with, you might as well make stuff up right?

Edited by curtkram

i'm willing to bet this isn't true. in my youth i played a text based multi-player game on a green screen screen over a 9 line bulletin board with a 9600 baud modem.

i was only trying to help. if you want to believe you're an island, i can't stop you, but that could be coming from the same sort of imaginary fabricated reality you based your assumptions of me on. if you don't have facts to work with, you might as well make stuff up right?

Yeah might as well make stuff up. Only a child would start an off topic about single player games when we are clearly talking about an MMO. But its nice to see the lack of ability you have of being able to stay on topic.

Companions don't matter in this game period except to the solo player, which means they don't hurt the economy in any way shape or form. If anything the cartel cost of the item, helps the player base. An older person would realize this.

It makes the game more profitable which in turn is spent on making the game better, a typical business model.

Again it doesn't effect anyone, and again I will go into detail. What are some abilities companions have?

1. They a gather mats for the player for a fee. However at level 55 you can only send 5 out at a time, so the number of mats gathered doesn't increase or decrease.

2. They help the player solo some content. However, this doesn't affect the player base. Why? Because there were already companions available to us. At any given moment a player can only have 1 companion out and fighting at a time. They can help you do heroic +2, however again this isn't the new companion specific.

3. They can gather materials for you in the open world. This really effects the player base bro, the player being able to move quickly to the next node leaving the companion to get the first is almost game breaking, but again it isn't specific to the new companion.

Now I will go over pros of selling the companion on the cartel market.

1. Bioware makes more money which in turn makes the game better.

2. Some classes don't get a healer early on, the new companion can heal, therefore it will make people who are just learning the dos and don'ts of the game a little more leverage.

3. Some players only have a single toon, which would take a long time to get Legacy 40, though I am not one of these players they should not be denied of a cute ewok because they don't want but a single character.

4. Some players only log on to raid, and help people which puts a strain on their credits. Offering a different method of buying more or less fluff material isn't a bad model.

Now I will state the cons to selling the companion on the cartel market.

1. People who are selfish and self centered will whine and cry about people who didn't "work for the companion" by obtaining legacy level 40, and the credits needed ( which is happening in the thread ). When in all honesty how hard is it to smash buttons in a game compared to spending hard earned money of real life. Hmm in comparison people should almost prefer to buy it in game.

In closing you haven't presented a single way in which it will have a negative impact on the over all game. You are still running your mouth, while I wait for a single piece of productive information to accidentally spew from it. Your statement is wrong, this has nothing to do with single player . Even if it did, companions are more used for the solo player than the group scene which validates the above points even more.

Thanks for your input. KK THX BI

Edited by Thuggie

I do not share your sentiment.

Treek is a great addition to the game. It's something many players like, and no player is forced to acquire it or use it if they don't like it. It is amazing to me how much so many players detest choice. Actually.. they don't detest it, they just don't want anyone but themselves to have choice.

And the way they are adding it to the game is consistent with everything they have been doing for the last 8 months.

Yeah.. some people don't like the CM, cartel coins, etc. etc. But so what. Some people, in every MMO, don't like something.

It's NOT that people don't like choice or don't like other people having choices.

It's BW making it possible to BYPASS in game requirements for something by selling it on the CM.

Once again, with Treek, if BW had set it up so that anyone with less than legacy 40 could pay CC's or a million credits to unlock Treek, but with legacy 40 the unlock was automatic(quest item mailed to every character on that legacy), so there was no credit cost or need to spend CC's, then we would be talking about having TRUE choice, not just the illusion of choice.

Even if BW did it the way I described, there would still be the opportunity for the 700 CC cost to unlock Treek ACCOUNT wide and not just legacy wide from those with legacy 40 and above.

Here is the interesting part: NOWHERE did Bioware, at any time, in any way, indicate/promote/market Treek as a player effort based achievement.

There is a minority interest of players that is pretending Treek should be an achievement.. so that they can complain that Treek is not an achievement.

HK was put behind an active multi-part time consuming quest chain that even required skirting PvP and doing a group instance. HK is a companion that is defined by it's implementation as an effort achievement. Treek is clearly defined as fun and enjoyment and to be readily accessible to all players.

Common sense people.

Andryah - All kidding aside, I'm really curious. Do you believe there is ANYTHING wrong with this game?

It's NOT that people don't like choice or don't like other people having choices.

It's BW making it possible to BYPASS in game requirements for something by selling it on the CM.

The requirements are nothing more than what BWEA decides they should be, and such "requirements" are totally arbitrary.

Once again, with Treek, if BW had set it up so that anyone with less than legacy 40 could pay CC's or a million credits to unlock Treek, but with legacy 40 the unlock was automatic(quest item mailed to every character on that legacy), so there was no credit cost or need to spend CC's, then we would be talking about having TRUE choice, not just the illusion of choice.

I think you need to look up "choice." And being able to get Treek with 1 mil creds rather than 2100 CC is a pretty big benefit for having legacy 40.

So why didn't you reply to the substantive part of Thuggie's post?

No man you are wrong. My game is hardly effected by someone else companions, or someone's bought speeder, or even someone's bought appearance armor. Oh its gonna cause inflation? Wrong because you can only send out 5 companions no matter what, even if you have 20. So please tell me how me purchasing it with money or credits is going matter.
Edited by branmakmuffin

Personally, I wouldn't say I am a CM defender or a detractor. I think it was a smart addition, but I also think it could use some adjustments.

I do think they were not paying attention to some of the bad blood circulating on the web and leaning too heavy on the market a bit too long....a few of the latest additions should work. Hopefully they can now get back to adding more shinies to the market.

there are single player games and there are mmo's. entirely different. now i'm not saying you should leave this game. i think it's great you're here, but from what i understand you enjoy from the above statements, there are a couple alternatives you could look at.

you might enjoy skryim more than an mmo. you can open the console, and i think the command is "tgm" to 'toggle god mode.' then you just hit the button that looks fun and you can enjoy the game however you want. however, i don't think skyrim has an option to spend real-life money buying stuff. if that was the thing you're saying you enjoy, you might also enjoy the home shopping network. they have frequent new content updates, and all you have to do is click to buy.

the thing with an mmo is that you're actions do effect others. that's kind of the point. they put other people into the same gamespace so that other people's decisions effect you, and you effect them. that's the fundamental difference between an mmo like this and a single player game. your effect on the game will be especially prominent for those of us who like the "game" aspect if they tailor future development to your needs. if they turn this mmo into a game focused on thinking other people's actions shouldn't be effecting your game, as well as purchasing $20 ewoks, i don't think it would want to stay subbed.

Balderdash, players in MMO's have been doing pay to win for years and years. Only thing different now is its the company that owns the game getting the money. That is the only difference at all. The same player base who is up in arms about the company getting the money will also defend using "tricks" to do quests and when called on it say its the deves fault for doing bad code.

I will say I was disappointed in the quest after dropping a cool million. I was looking for a quest for my guild to run. That is all. Someone paying cash no more effects me now then back in the day when someone paid cash to a gold farmer or cheated to "Win" a raid. It is all the same and has been around for years. If you are a long time MMO player then you already know this.

So why didn't you reply to the substantive part of Thuggie's post?

it's still not a single player game. thuggie is still not an island in an mmo. players actions in an mmo effect each other. that's why they put multiple players in the same gamespace.

i don't think there is much more i can add. thuggie can make up whatever he wants. you can troll all you want. if there is something substantive i can add, i will try to add it. i can't, at this point, see how i could make my point more clear or dumb it down. i'm pretty sure he just chooses not understand what i'm saying, and there isn't anything i can do about that.

Even if BW did it the way I described, there would still be the opportunity for the 700 CC cost to unlock Treek ACCOUNT wide and not just legacy wide from those with legacy 40 and above.

Quite frankly, if you can't scrounge up one million credits with 40 legacy levels you must have bought the account or something. I bought her off the CC as I took a year or so off and only have LL32. 1 million credits is NOTHING.

Edited by hadoken

it's still not a single player game. thuggie is still not an island in an mmo. players actions in an mmo effect each other. that's why they put multiple players in the same gamespace.

i don't think there is much more i can add. thuggie can make up whatever he wants. you can troll all you want. if there is something substantive i can add, i will try to add it. i can't, at this point, see how i could make my point more clear or dumb it down. i'm pretty sure he just chooses not understand what i'm saying, and there isn't anything i can do about that.

LOL at least in the debate I am making points which you sir are not.

Single player or not doesn't matter. If I am a social butterfly, with 10,000 companions and always runs OPS or FPS what purpose does a companion serve? TO HARVEST MATERIALS.

If I am a solo player who never groups what purpose do companions serve? TO SOLO VERY MINIMAL CONTENT, AND TO HARVEST MATS.

Please keep talking like you have made a valid point, the other readers know you have not, as I do. So do the 15 other people who are against selling the companion in the market, even though they choose to skip over my comments and points and continue on their own little futile rebellion.

AGAIN HOW DOES THIS EFFECT THE PLAYER BASE? IT DOESN'T. The solo player will remain playing solo, and the social butterfly will remain being social, there is no impact with or without companions

Edited by Thuggie

Quite frankly, if you can't scrounge up one million credits with 40 legacy levels you must have bought the account or something. I bought her off the CC as I took a year or so off and only have LL32. 1 million credits is NOTHING.

You miss the entire point of the my post.

If a player does not have legacy 40, their ONLY choice is to pay the CC cost.

A true choice would have been to allow the purchase of the item via CC's or a million credits, REGARDLESS of legacy level, not limiting the choice of using credits to only those with legacy 40 and up. If BW truly wanted to make legacy 40 mean something, they could have set it up so that legacy 40 was rewarded with the quest item.

Balderdash, players in MMO's have been doing pay to win for years and years. Only thing different now is its the company that owns the game getting the money. That is the only difference at all. The same player base who is up in arms about the company getting the money will also defend using "tricks" to do quests and when called on it say its the deves fault for doing bad code.

i don't disagree with any of that. for what it's worth, i prefer to see the developers fix exploits, tricks, cheats and such as i think they hurt the game. also, i am not opposed to bioware getting money.

You miss the entire point of the my post.

If a player does not have legacy 40, their ONLY choice is to pay the CC cost.

A true choice would have been to allow the purchase of the item via CC's or a million credits, REGARDLESS of legacy level, not limiting the choice of using credits to only those with legacy 40 and up. If BW truly wanted to make legacy 40 mean something, they could have set it up so that legacy 40 was rewarded with the quest item.

Oh no your point was quite clear. You feel that because the item can be obtained by CCs, your legacy level 40 is meaningless.

When the truth is, until this thing was offered, your legacy level 40 WAS meaningless. And now it means something...if you have 1 mil credits sitting around.

this is not a debate.

specifically regarding treek, bypassing in-game achievements devalues the achievement. if i got to legacy level 40, that could mean something to me. bioware says, "yay, you did this thing. great. you get the opportunity to buy an ewok." but everyone else can buy it too if they spend more money. that makes legacy level 40 essentially equivalent to buying stuff off the cartel market.

but let's be honest, there is no point in me telling you that. you might understand, but you really don't care. there is nothing i could ever say that would make you think you are affected by this.

i have gotten into it with ratajack a bit before. i assure you your assumptions about him are wrong too.

It doesn't devaule anything, it is your understanding which is lacking. You can buy Treek for 1 character on an account for roughly 20 dollars. You can EASILY get legacy 40 and 1 million credits in a month of playing which is only 15 dollars. Playing 3 hours a night 7 days a week. With that being said the math behind it doesn't support your statement.

If anything it places value on your legacy and credits. It says that lvl 40 and 1000000 credits is worth 20 dollars. Because lets face it, achievements, legacy levels, credits, are all non-existent items. Sure it might have made you feel like you were accomplishing something great, but you weren't. Climbing mount Everest is an accomplishment, killing bosses in an OP and getting an achievement for it isn't.

Edited by Thuggie

Oh, but you forget, kids today think they deserve everything immediately and without effort. Or money. Or anything else. It's a sense of entitlement that I, frankly, will never understand. They think because Joe has something that they they should have that thing, too. There is no comprehension that not every person should have every thing.

And as far as Treek... I've written this before and I still hold this to be true. The stupid Ewok is a CM item that we happen to also be able to earn in-game. Not the other way around.

i agree. introduce some scarcity. let a few things be hard to get and limited. since this is a game, and not a place to show off your personal wealth, those things should all be available only through in-game means (as a way to reward people who play the game). making stuff like ewoks that can be bought through the cartel market for rl money instead of in-game means only encourages the baby boomers (or kids, whichever one is the entitlement generation) to cry and moan more about how they can't have everything right now.

I like the fact that there is a non-Cartel option for unlocking Treek. Of course, the legacy requirement was no issue for me, since I've been at 50 for a while. Even if I hadn't already qualified, I would have just waited it out until I could buy Treek with in-game credits. The Cartel option is there for the impatient.

i agree. introduce some scarcity. let a few things be hard to get and limited. since this is a game, and not a place to show off your personal wealth, those things should all be available only through in-game means (as a way to reward people who play the game). making stuff like ewoks that can be bought through the cartel market for rl money instead of in-game means only encourages the baby boomers (or kids, whichever one is the entitlement generation) to cry and moan more about how they can't have everything right now.

Don't get me wrong... I think having it on the CM is good. But people complain either way. I don't want the stupid Ewok, personally. Which is good because I don't want to spend real cash on it. I also may never see Legacy lvl 40 (that's really hard to get to for most people!) and could find many better things to do with 1 million creds.

It's boring. There's virtually zero sense of achievement to be gained from a Cartel Market purchase. Personally, I'll be grinding my way to Legacy Level 40 (I'm a meager 10) and one million credits requirement, not because I don't have the disposable income to buy her, but simply because it's more FUN!

Sounds like you have solved your "problem." So why are we having this thread?

Don't get me wrong... I think having it on the CM is good. But people complain either way. I don't want the stupid Ewok, personally. Which is good because I don't want to spend real cash on it. I also may never see Legacy lvl 40 (that's really hard to get to for most people!) and could find many better things to do with 1 million creds.

I think options are always a good thing; however, I feel that it's a bit excessive for Treek to cost so many credits, when the req is already level 40 Legacy, which is somewhat difficult (or at least quite a bit grindy) to get. I think it's fine that it's level 40, though. I just don't think it's fine that it's level 40 AND a somewhat obscene amount of credits that I will never be able to reach, which means I have to purchase via the CM, if I'm purchasing at all, and I really want my Ewok friend. At this point, I'm still waiting. I simply can't justify that kind of cost, even with my sub coins. I've been waiting to purchase a few other things in the CM, and Treek will have to wait, as well.