Why is love considered taboo for the Jedi?

RocketeerRaccoon

Maybe not THAT with 100% accuracy, but I can say with 100% accuracy that you wouldn't be unfazed by it. And in a life and death situation, with innocent lives at stake, you don't have time to step back and calm down.

"The Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." If you had to choose between saving a shuttle your lover and kids are on, or saving a planet full of 1 billion people, A Jedi needs to be able to choose the billion people without hesitation. No body would be able to choose to sacrifice their loved ones . And that i believe is at the core of the Jedi belief.

Being unfazed and acting in a blind rage are two different things. People face life and death situation all the time without going into a blind rage. You may enter a blind rage but not everyone will. You always have a few moments to step back and look at the situation.

You don't just jump into a situation without looking at it. If you do no matter what your decision you are going to make a mistake.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fail here, is thinking you go into a blind rage that endangers billions. Though for some JEDI (Anakin) this is obviously the case. And for JEDI/SITH period this seems to be the case, though SITH in general seem to be at that stage 24/7.

Being unfazed and acting in a blind rage are two different things. People face life and death situation all the time without going into a blind rage. You may enter a blind rage but not everyone will. You always have a few moments to step back and look at the situation.

You don't just jump into a situation without looking at it. If you do no matter what your decision you are going to make a mistake.

No good arguing with me. I'm just telling you the jedi point of view as i understand it. The Jedi don't want to put their warriors in the position where they have to choose. They don't want their members second guessing themselves, they don't want their members having to stand back and make a choice about letting a loved one die to save an innocent stranger.

My personal view on the subject is a lot muddier. I think i'd make a better lightsided Sith than i would a Jedi, simply because i believe that love can be a strength that you can draw on. But at the same time, i come to look at the moral problem of letting a loved one die to save a billion innocents and I reach the same conflict that is the reason for the Jedi not allowing love. My lightsided Sith would want to save the billion people but he would also want to save his loved one and would probably hesitate which risks losing them all.

Its basically the same as the priesthood.

The priesthood views the relationship between the person and God as so important and divine that any other relationship spoils it.

This is very similar to how the Jedi council believes that to be Jedi, your relationship with the force should not be broken by any other relationship.

OK, do we really need to start a discussion how real life celibacy is a living proof that this concept fails lol? Thought the real life equivalent was obvious

No good arguing with me. I'm just telling you the jedi point of view as i understand it. The Jedi don't want to put their warriors in the position where they have to choose. They don't want their members second guessing themselves, they don't want their members having to stand back and make a choice about letting a loved one die to save an innocent stranger.

My personal view on the subject is a lot muddier. I think i'd make a better lightsided Sith than i would a Jedi, simply because i believe that love can be a strength that you can draw on. But at the same time, i come to look at the moral problem of letting a loved one die to save a billion innocents and I reach the same conflict that is the reason for the Jedi not allowing love. My lightsided Sith would want to save the billion people but he would also want to save his loved one and would probably hesitate which risks losing them all.

The council is blind just like the priesthood it follows. My jedi didn't tell on the lovers and let them keep their gem too.

Love is not taboo to Jedi. Attachment is taboo to Jedi. Observe the lore more carefully, IMO.

The Force is Love in it's purest form... undifferentiated, neither light nor dark.

In the Era of the Movies the Jedi hold to the above view, with the view that a balanced relationship can strengthen both parties, provided they have the strength to endure if one person dies or moves on.

In the Game Era, they do forbid love in all forms, which is slightly too extreme for most.

Attachment is misuse of The Force for personal and selfish reasons, which is taboo to Jedi as it builds the dark side of the force.

Not quite, attachment is were they submerge themselves into a relationship to the extent that they can't seperate themselves emotionally, so if one dies the other suffers immensely, which can lead to the Darkside.

Attachment can lead to misuse of the force, but strictly speaking isn't misuse itself.

In this regard, Jedi are "lightest" as even they do not properly embrace the force from a point of balance. Jedi, without realizing it..create a state of conflict in The Force by creating polarity and isolate an aspect of what is whole and complete in it's normal state. Enlightened Jedi understand this and know that if Light exists.. so does Dark, and that the two will interact to recreate a state of balance.

The Balance in the Force can be construed in a number of ways, the above view, the view that balance is a state were any changes create countereffects and the force returns to it's original balance (equilibrium), and the view that the number of Darksiders and Lightsiders must be about the same.

Personally I prefer the Equilibrium View, ie it's about the overall stabilty of the force, and that the minor details balance out, creating a stable evironment for force users.

Also should point out that the Sith reject all views on balance, for them the force serves them, and d@#n the consequences.

The council is blind just like the priesthood it follows. My jedi didn't tell on the lovers and let them keep their gem too.

You should have observed the girl more closely, she is going down the path to the darkside, she has no emotional balance at all, the guy is ok, but the girl is falling fast, and might drag the guy down with her.

I agree I'm just saying what Yoda would say.

Er, no. Yoda would say that it's the attachment that unbalances you, and that you should be prepared to give up that which you love most. Presumably if you are prepared to give it up, then they won't ask you to do so. whereas if you can't give it up, then you must do so.

You should have observed the girl more closely, she is going down the path to the darkside, she has no emotional balance at all, the guy is ok, but the girl is falling fast, and might drag the guy down with her.

And so, not really my concern. What about the one who wanted to kill all the fleshraiders, same there. I never said I was completely light side. I am not.

Edited by AlaricSevGirl

And so, not really my concern. What about the one who wanted to kill all the fleshraiders, same there. I never said I was completely light side. I am not.

So the real question would be...if we don't agree with the organization in which we joined, why did we join it? :p

So the real question would be...if we don't agree with the organization in which we joined, why did we join it? :p

You don't have to agree with all the rules of an organization to be a member of it nor do you have to believe in them strongly. We know that in the history of Star Wars there were many jedi who didn't agree with the rule against love., Satele, Bastila, Jolee Bindo.

Not to mention, in the future under Luke that rule was changed and marriage was allowed.

Edited by AlaricSevGirl

You don't have to agree with all the rules of an organization to be a member of it nor do you have to believe in them strongly. We know that in the history of Star Wars there were many jedi who didn't agree with the rule against love., Satele, Bastila, Jolee Bindo.

Not to mention, in the future under Luke that rule was changed and marriage was allowed.

Doesn't Satele hide it, and Jolee left the order and never even became a Jedi?

Seriously, this discussion makes me want to have an Ex-Jedi Class! Can be for the Rep and Empire side!

Doesn't Satele hide it, and Jolee left the order and never even became a Jedi?

Seriously, this discussion makes me want to have an Ex-Jedi Class! Can be for the Rep and Empire side!

Well bigger reason why, is because they don't teach jedi on how to deal with emotions. How to separate the good from the bad. So the easy solution is to not to do it. The problem with love is that while it can redeem and bring you back, it can lead you TO the darkside. When love is corrupted and turned into lust, rage and all things dark, it can take you to dangerous places.

But that same love can redeem, promote sacrifice, the goodness in people.

My 2 credits, the jedi seriously should of taught HOW to deal with emotions instead of just don't feel it.

Well bigger reason why, is because they don't teach jedi on how to deal with emotions. How to separate the good from the bad. So the easy solution is to not to do it. The problem with love is that while it can redeem and bring you back, it can lead you TO the darkside. When love is corrupted and turned into lust, rage and all things dark, it can take you to dangerous places.

But that same love can redeem, promote sacrifice, the goodness in people.

My 2 credits, the jedi seriously should of taught HOW to deal with emotions instead of just don't feel it.

Yeah. Why they don't teach one not to become a homicidal maniac just because they have access to the Force when things go bad, I have no idea.

The drawback of it is that Jedis have to wait for the Force to give them new Padawans instead of allowing their members to breed and transmit their Force abilities to their kids.

That's why the Order is in danger every time a big war occurs: they can't replace the fallen members easily

The drawback of it is that Jedis have to wait for the Force to give them new Padawans instead of allowing their members to breed and transmit their Force abilities to their kids.

That's why the Order is in danger every time a big war occurs: they can't replace the fallen members easily

They can actually "breed".

They just can't get attached.

When the Sith Warrior

decides to turn Jaesa Light Side she will at some point offer to bare you children, who will then be as strong in the Force as their parents. Without any romantic involvement.

The reason for that is that she is clinging to her Jedi teachings if you leave her Lightside.

As for the reason, it's less about being Templars/Monks and more about turning into raving lunatic monsters if the unthinkable happens and things go bad, like their beloved getting killed by the Sith, or even worse, some strategic decision of Republic command not to extract an outnumbered Jedi in some combat zone.

Edited by Callaron
Clarification

Having recently tried the Jedi Consular and I've just come across that mission where you got the two lovers and the Jedi Masters want to know from you if they are romancing with each other and it got me thinking. Why is love considered a bad thing to the Jedi? To be honest I would say the Jedi code is kinda screwed up and is probably the ultimate downfall of the Old Jedi order when Anakin Skywalker fell in love.

Come to think, I'm not sure what's worse now, a cruel dictatorship empire where people die but allows love all around or a peaceful protector order of which not everyone is allowed to love?

Love is permitted, attachment is not, as long as love doesn't turn into a driving force, and you can spend month or even years apart, and you don't seak revenge after the other dies, then love is permitted.

However, with that couple, the girl is completely subsumed by love, and is on a fast path to the darkside, the guy is more balanced, and actually stops the girl attacking you. If the girl was as balanced as the guy then I wouldn't have turned them in, but she is completely unhinged, and needs to be saved.

If I recall correctly both the Sith and the Jedi practice breeding for force sensitivity. The difference is that the Sith are also free to fall in love and more importantly, grow attached.

My interpretation of the lore is that the Jedi are encouraged to love and have compassion for all things. However, when you grow attached to something you develop strong emotions regarding it. Not only do you develop passion, you also get angry when that thing is harmed. Both of which are steps towards the dark side.

There are some exceptions for the jedi. If I am remembering right one of the members of the Jedi Council during the clone wars is actually married with multiple wives, because of the huge disproportion in the male to female ratio in his species.