Anyone else a massive fan of Doctor Who?

Cyberwoman

You beat me to it! :i_biggrin:

It is a beautiful pic, which is current my new desk top! :i_angel:

The BBC also announced there plans for the anniversary here. Looks like they are doing a lot of interesting things to help celebrate the show. On a related topic, I really cannot see why fans are so wound up that the special is 75 minuets and not 90. Length has nothing to do with quality, and we should just wait and see how the episode plays out before judging it like that.

Hey, with the legacy name, comes the ability to travel through time and space. :mon_cool: I really am looking forward to the "An Adventure In Space and Time" special. I hope they air it here on BBC America, but I can always find it online. I really am envious of the Brits. If that is all happening on the 23rd... I would die of Doctor Who overload. Yeah, I'm just excited for the story (Even if we've heard so little about it... )

Edited by LtGeneralGezlin

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24467337

Fantastic news! Nine episode thought to have been lost by the BBC back in the 60's have have been recovered from Nigeria! This include most of the episode from The Web of Fear (Ep 3 is still missing) and the complete story The Enemy of the World! They are apparently available on iTunes, and will soon be released on DVD. The Enemy of the World will be released 22nd of November, the day before the 50th, and the Web of Fear (With a reconstructed 3rd episode) will be released in 2014. Not sure what the international release dates are...

This really is FANTASTIC news! To find these stories after so long, and on the 50th year! What a great treat for the fans! :i_angel:

Hey, with the legacy name, comes the ability to travel through time and space. :mon_cool: I really am looking forward to the "An Adventure In Space and Time" special. I hope they air it here on BBC America, but I can always find it online. I really am envious of the Brits. If that is all happening on the 23rd... I would die of Doctor Who overload. Yeah, I'm just excited for the story (Even if we've heard so little about it... )

That is a great Legacy name! I am sure An Adventure in Time and Space will be shown on BBCA. The celebration seems to be a worldwide event!

Edited by Cyberwoman

• 1 month later...

I thought it was brilliant! Loved the movie. Don't know how you get much better than that!

Besides, something had to happen. The Doctor was starting to run out of things to do. In terms of what Davies wrote, there are two things you have to consider. 1. His stories and vision was a small portion of the Doctor Who run, so in the grand scheme of things, who cares what Davies did or didn't do. 2. Who is to say that Davies didn't plan this out?

Besides, Moffat rewrote Davies stuff in Series 5 anyways.

Though a little information about the Christmas Special: It will tackle the regeneration problem! Now, in reality Smith is the 13th Doctor, and therefore out of regenerations. This is from the Moff himself, so it appears this is a legit storyline.

i liked it and i didn't. I was hoping it would continue off where the last episode ended at but it did explain some cool stuff so liked that. I was hoping rose would have a bigger part than she did lol she was my favorite compaion

the rewrite that was concerning me wasn't even just the secret doctor, but rather fate of Gallifrey.

we'll see how it pans out.

as for regenerations, well... my thought was always that River gave him a few extra in "let's kill Hitler"

Actually....

Moffat has stated this isn't true. I thought it was weird too, but he's counting the War Doctor and the Meta-Crisis Doctor as regenerations. That puts Matt Smith as the 13th Doctor, which means he's done with his 12 regenerations. Moffat also said that the Christmas Special will look into this problem. Could be that it has something to do with River Song, but he makes it sound as if there will be no more Regenerations, at least in the classic sense.

Actually....

Moffat has stated this isn't true. I thought it was weird too, but he's counting the War Doctor and the Meta-Crisis Doctor as regenerations. That puts Matt Smith as the 13th Doctor, which means he's done with his 12 regenerations. Moffat also said that the Christmas Special will look into this problem. Could be that it has something to do with River Song, but he makes it sound as if there will be no more Regenerations, at least in the classic sense.

what's not true? that River may have given him a few extra regenerations? she did give up ALL of her own to save him.

I never argued against Matt Smith being 13th regen. I may be miffed by it (and I'm fairly sure that limit of 12 is a new Who, specifically Moffat invention, prior to that, there was no limit) , but I didn't argue against it being canon at this point.

we'll see what he comes up with. but I'm not holding my breath. Moffat is..... not my favorite showrunner to put it mildly, he's more miss than hit for me. but whatever he comes up with, it better be something that can potentially keep the Doctor going forever. becasue that was part of the beauty of the show - that you could have it go on and on, and never have to end, just because actor got too old, or found another job, or died etc.

I also disagree that doctor ran out of things to do. the universe is vast. we haven't even seen some of the stories that were hinted at. and there are so many different potential companions that are not pretty girls crushing on a doctor that we could have encounters. potential of focusing on companion stories instead of doctor is so vast...

Good point, my post was a bit off. My bad. I wanted to talk about River Song, and made comments before that. I do that some times.

River Song thing comes from what Moffat is saying about the Christmas Special. He didn't state it outright, but his explanation is whatever happens that allows Capaldi to exist will happen in the Christmas Special, therefore making River Song theory very unlikely.

I personally like Moffat. But Season 7 sucked. Made me happy Amy and Rory were gone, which was hard because I really really like them. They are my favorite companions. Just less so now.

Edited by Alavastre

Good old 10, my favorite doctor :D

This did make me go rewatch all his episodes again though, and as per, I cried when he lost rose, cried when he lost her the second time, cried when he lost Donna, cried when he saved one of the most adorable old men in history, and cried when he regenerated...

Such an epic show, wish we'd seem Handy (meta-crisis) and rose hop over and accidentally meet the 11th doctor though... Although him meeting Sarah Jane was enough for me :)

It also looks like we're going to hit on the Silence again for the Christmas special. That is cool. I want to know more about them.

But, did anyone else catch what "Rose" said in the movie? Could be nothing, but when researching who Clara could be, there are threads that tie a lot of things together. With her phrase in Season 7 being, "Run you Clever Boy and remember". The phrase "Clever Boy" is repeated throughout Moffat's episodes, starting with HAL the girl running the Library, Clara and the machine that took the appearance of Rose. Pretty sure River Song said it as well.

Anyone else find that interesting? Just wondering.

• 3 weeks later...
It also looks like we're going to hit on the Silence again for the Christmas special. That is cool. I want to know more about them.

But, did anyone else catch what "Rose" said in the movie? Could be nothing, but when researching who Clara could be, there are threads that tie a lot of things together. With her phrase in Season 7 being, "Run you Clever Boy and remember". The phrase "Clever Boy" is repeated throughout Moffat's episodes, starting with HAL the girl running the Library, Clara and the machine that took the appearance of Rose. Pretty sure River Song said it as well.

Anyone else find that interesting? Just wondering.

Indeed.

Also, anyone else see that Interview where the actress who plays River hinted at her return? Would be nice to see her return to witness the Doctor Regenerate, and maybe even witness Peter Capaldi's baby steps as #12... What I dont understand though is how she'll cope with the Regeneration, not only will she lose her love, but she used all her regenerations to save the 11th, what will she think when she see's he has spares? :p

Just leaves me curious as to how she's going to come back, given that we know she will. Maybe the hints were at her own Spin off, because I don't see how she can come back, her timeline goes the opposite way to the doctor, so unless he regenerates when she doesnt know who he is, it just doesn't make sense...

Sorry, thinking aloud a little here :p

Actually, I think it's very easy for her return.

When we last saw River Song, she was wearing what she had on at the end of the Library arc. Which means we're seeing her after her "death". And that clever line goes all the way back to that little girl in the Library, so there is a connection there I think.

As for the regeneration issue, I don't think she will have a problem with it. She seems just as enthralled with the 10th as the 11th. However on a side note, I would love to see her return.

Actually, I think it's very easy for her return.

When we last saw River Song, she was wearing what she had on at the end of the Library arc. Which means we're seeing her after her "death". And that clever line goes all the way back to that little girl in the Library, so there is a connection there I think.

As for the regeneration issue, I don't think she will have a problem with it. She seems just as enthralled with the 10th as the 11th. However on a side note, I would love to see her return.

Ehhhh, it's pretty obvious she's coming back, now that I think about it.

She needs a guide for all the doctors faces? She's only known 2, that we've seen, and because we know she first met the Doctor as 10, she must see the later doctors not earlier.

New Regeneration cycle could mean the most romantic way as well, he could give her some of her regeneration's back.

Oh, and Time of the Doctor was awesome, absolutely loved it... oh Amy, amy... amy... Amy! River would have finished it off, but meh, would have been to easy if she was there.

Gonna miss ya Matt, you did great, truly left your mark, but bring on Capaldi!

Ehhhh, it's pretty obvious she's coming back, now that I think about it.

She needs a guide for all the doctors faces? She's only known 2, that we've seen, and because we know she first met the Doctor as 10, she must see the later doctors not earlier.

New Regeneration cycle could mean the most romantic way as well, he could give her some of her regeneration's back.

Oh, and Time of the Doctor was awesome, absolutely loved it... oh Amy, amy... amy... Amy! River would have finished it off, but meh, would have been to easy if she was there.

Gonna miss ya Matt, you did great, truly left your mark, but bring on Capaldi!

nooooo, 10 was the last time she met the doctor, not first (at least in corporeal form)

I'm ambivalent on time of the doctor... but no surprise there, I've been ambivalent on a lot of the more recent episodes. Cappaldi is cool, but as long as Moffat is showrunning I'll probably remain ambivalent. /shrug

nooooo, 10 was the last time she met the doctor, not first (at least in corporeal form)

I'm ambivalent on time of the doctor... but no surprise there, I've been ambivalent on a lot of the more recent episodes. Cappaldi is cool, but as long as Moffat is showrunning I'll probably remain ambivalent. /shrug

First, depending on whose point of view.

They meet in the wrong order, last time for her, first for him. We see this all the time, during the crash of the Byzantium, before the Pandorica opened she mentions it and says she remembers it well. Also, in a Minisode we see the Doctor, talk to the Doctor, about their date the night before river goes to the library... And dies.

"The first time we met her, the day she..."

"Died"

"she said she had just been..."

So yeh :p

Just found a quote from Moffat, said he'd bring River back if there's a plotline where she fits wonderfully, but won't push hard to bring her back, he liked the way it ended with the Doctor saying goodbye (that scene made me cry :( :( :( ) But she's my favorite Character :(

I didn't like the Time of the Doctor. It felt like it was a series long plotline pushed together for one show. And the regeneration cycle was just missing something.

The only two things I liked was Amy showing up, and when he took off his bowtie and dropped it on the floor.

Then what was that regeneration? Split second, bam it's over. Then they kind of made another cooky entrance while they were again crashing. To me something was missing. "The Time of the Doctor" was just as bad as "The Day of the Doctor" was great imo.

I didn't like the Time of the Doctor. It felt like it was a series long plotline pushed together for one show. And the regeneration cycle was just missing something.

The only two things I liked was Amy showing up, and when he took off his bowtie and dropped it on the floor.

Then what was that regeneration? Split second, bam it's over. Then they kind of made another cooky entrance while they were again crashing. To me something was missing. "The Time of the Doctor" was just as bad as "The Day of the Doctor" was great imo.

I understand some of your frustrations with Time of the Doctor but I think it was handled well. You have to understand the viewer doesn't see all of the Doctor's life. He lives for 100s upon 100s of years. We see only a very tiny fraction of it. He traveled with River for many, many years and we don't ever see that. We are only told about it. He could very well stay somewhere for 300 years because he can't leave and he doesn't care. He'll do it. Additionally, he thought this was his last stand as a living being. He thought he was done so why not make his stand there?

And just so you know, people have been complaining about regenerations taking WAY too long for a long time now. I LOVED seeing the instant change. JUST GET IT OVER WITH.

Finally.

And of course he's cocky. He's a new doctor and the more "traditional" doctors (see classic who) were VERY cocky. In the old series, he basically talks down to everyone because HE CAN.

Edited by Arkerus

First, depending on whose point of view.

They meet in the wrong order, last time for her, first for him. We see this all the time, during the crash of the Byzantium, before the Pandorica opened she mentions it and says she remembers it well. Also, in a Minisode we see the Doctor, talk to the Doctor, about their date the night before river goes to the library... And dies.

"The first time we met her, the day she..."

"Died"

"she said she had just been..."

So yeh :p

Just found a quote from Moffat, said he'd bring River back if there's a plotline where she fits wonderfully, but won't push hard to bring her back, he liked the way it ended with the Doctor saying goodbye (that scene made me cry :( :( :( ) But she's my favorite Character :(

There are some excellent GIF and JPG/s out there that map out River and the Doctor. If you want to understand how they meet simply download one and ENJOY.

It really helps when you are watching an episode to know which River is in the episode.

I'm a massive fan of those Dr. Who episodes I saw as a kid: those Tom Baker era episodes that were broadcast in the Netherlands in the mid 1970s.

I like other Tom Baker era episodes as well, but I find those that I saw as a kid significantly better. That means that either the folks doing the selection for Dutch television had a great taste, OR my childhood memories enhance the actual level of coolness of the series.

I never bother to get into the newer doctors, although I find it cool that this series is still going on. I do hope to see those ancient pre-Tom Baker episodes they recently found in some African BBC studio (episodes that were considered lost).