Anyone else a massive fan of Doctor Who?

Cyberwoman

As long as the Doctor isn't written by Stefen Moffat, his depictions of the female companions have been somewhat problematic.

I do miss Ten and Donna running around the Universe being awesome best friends. Moffat seems to think you can't have a close relationship between a man and a woman without there being a weird romantic undertone, and that's just the start.

But hey, Twelve isn't a bully. He's so much worse than that :p

In some ways I do agree.

I don't think Steven is as bad at writing women as many seem to think he is, but he doesn't have much range in that department. Amy, River, Clara all have very similar aspects and characteristics. I doubt that Steven will stay on any longer Peter dose though, (Unless he is planing on becoming the new JNT!) so I think for Doctor 13, who I do believe could be a woman, there will be a new team in charge.

Thinking about it, it will be interesting to see how Peter's Doctor and Clara get on.

Edited by Cyberwoman

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the Doctor isn't written by Stefen Moffat, his depictions of the female companions have been somewhat problematic.

I do miss Ten and Donna running around the Universe being awesome best friends. Moffat seems to think you can't have a close relationship between a man and a woman without there being a weird romantic undertone, and that's just the start.

But hey, Twelve isn't a bully. He's so much worse than that :p

Actually, as Cyberwoman pointed out, the role of the Doctor is not type cast in any way. It's a time traveling alien who saves the universe. As long as Moffat writes the Doctor as The Doctor, it doesn't matter the gender or age or nationality, it's still the same clever, amazing and heroic Doctor.

And seeing that the 12th Doctor is going to be an older man, I'm guessing this one will be the role of a mentor than a love interest, like the earlier Doctors.

As amusing as it would be, I highly doubt Malcom Tucker is going to make an appearance, so it's more likely that Clara will get along with Twelve, but I do also have the suspicion that because of the age gap, Moffat is going to downplay the Doctor/Companion romance angle and head more towards a Father/Daughter relationship. Mostly because he refers to Clara as a girl.

Actually, as Cyberwoman pointed out, the role of the Doctor is not type cast in any way. It's a time traveling alien who saves the universe. As long as Moffat writes the Doctor as The Doctor, it doesn't matter the gender or age or nationality, it's still the same clever, amazing and heroic Doctor.

I'm confused by the bolded?

And yes, so long as the Doctor is written as the Doctor, everything is fine, but I doubt Moffat's ability to do so if he knew that the Doctor was a woman.

Essentially I don't want there to be a repeat of the failed 2011 Wonder Woman pilot because the writer doesn't understand what makes a character strong and compelling and "them".

Edited by Tatile

I'm confused by the bolded?

And yes, so long as the Doctor is written as the Doctor, everything is fine, but I doubt Moffat's ability to do so if he knew that the Doctor was a woman.

Essentially I don't want there to be a repeat of the failed 2011 Wonder Woman pilot because the writer doesn't understand what makes a character strong and compelling and "them".

Type cast may be the wrong word for it. I mean that the role of The Doctor is not written to be tied to a particular sort of person. Anyone can be The Doctor. Not saying that to be mean like "Oh it's so easy, anyone can do it", but like The Doctor is this amazing character that anyone can be. When you look back on the previous Doctors, they range from old to young men, blonde to brown hair, Eccentric to serious. Cheeky and rude or sweet and humorous. Anyone can be the Doctor, and that's what makes the role so desirable in the acting world. Everyone wants to be The Doctor because Anyone can be.

Type cast may be the wrong word for it. I mean that the role of The Doctor is not written to be tied to a particular sort of person. Anyone can be The Doctor. Not saying that to be mean like "Oh it's so easy, anyone can do it", but like The Doctor is this amazing character that anyone can be. When you look back on the previous Doctors, they range from old to young men, blonde to brown hair, Eccentric to serious. Cheeky and rude or sweet and humorous. Anyone can be the Doctor, and that's what makes the role so desirable in the acting world. Everyone wants to be The Doctor because Anyone can be.

Well yes, why do think so many people had their heart set on Idris Elba? Tumblr's going rather manic because another white man's been cast - I was hoping for person of colour to be cast, perhaps another relative unknown like Matt Smith was. Britain has such a rich cultural and ethnic diversity, it's a bit sad that our flagship export and principal piece of science-fiction-fantasy doesn't reflect that.

Well yes, why do think so many people had their heart set on Idris Elba? Tumblr's going rather manic because another white man's been cast - I was hoping for person of colour to be cast, perhaps another relative unknown like Matt Smith was. Britain has such a rich cultural and ethnic diversity, it's a bit sad that our flagship export and principal piece of science-fiction-fantasy doesn't reflect that.

Well the Doctor does have 11 more regenerations to go, thanks to River's transference of her 10 remaining regenerations. Who knows? Who knows.

Well the Doctor does have 11 more regenerations to go, thanks to River's transference of her 10 remaining regenerations. Who knows? Who knows.

I don't... wasn't it just the regeneration energy? That seems a bit... hand-wavey. But then, I guess with Donna...

Hm.

In some ways I do agree.

I don't think Steven is as bad at writing women as many seem to think he is, but he doesn't have much range in that department. Amy, River, Clara all have very similar aspects and characteristics. I doubt that Steven will stay on any longer Peter dose though, (Unless he is planing on becoming the new JNT!) so I think for Doctor 13, who I do believe could be a woman, there will be a new team in charge.

Thinking about it, it will be interesting to see how Peter's Doctor and Clara get on.

I completely disagree Moffat is a bad writer. There were some awful plot devices used when Davies was the writer. Remember the psychic network bringing the doctor "back to life" thanks to what's-her-name traveling the planet. That was REALLY start stretching it. A total devs ex machina that made little to no sense.

Moffat isn't perfect but his handling of the death of the doctor was brilliant. I love how Moffat uses time and consequence in his writing. Davies had some awesome stories and I Tenant was definitely one of a kind but Moffat, in my opinion, is a much better writer who tries to connect the dots more than Davies did.

I think the choice of Peter Capaldi is the right thing to do for now. People are starting to get a little tired of the love triangles and an older doctor gives the doctor a darker edge and makes him less prone to romantic whimsy.

That said, Matt Smith was utterly brilliant. I will miss his take on the Doctor immensely.

That whole thing is bunk. The time lords limited regeneration thing was self imposed. The doctor, as far as we know, has limitless regeneration until they are killed outright or choose to not regenerate. There is no hard proof and even Moffat has mentioned there is no end in sight to doctor who. River gave up her regenerations to save the doctor but it did not give him a set number.

That whole thing is bunk. The time lords limited regeneration thing was self imposed. The doctor, as far as we know, has limitless regeneration until they are killed outright or choose to not regenerate. There is no hard proof and even Moffat has mentioned there is no end in sight to doctor who. River gave up her regenerations to save the doctor but it did not give him a set number.

I remember reading about that, but I always had this theory that it isn't self imposed, but rather predestined. 13 is considered an unlucky number, and as the Doctor always shows us, most of his victories are one part cleverness, one part finesse and a whole parts of blind luck. What if the 13th life is doomed? Murphy's Law, you know? Anything that can go wrong will go wrong? What if the 13th life is plagued by bad luck and pain that the Time Lord just decides to give up, rather than go on? It would be a pretty interesting story, seeing the Doctor endure the worst pains and hurt and woe and making the choice to move on or "move on".

I completely disagree Moffat is a bad writer. There were some awful plot devices used when Davies was the writer. Remember the psychic network bringing the doctor "back to life" thanks to what's-her-name traveling the planet. That was REALLY start stretching it. A total devs ex machina that made little to no sense.

Moffat isn't perfect but his handling of the death of the doctor was brilliant. I love how Moffat uses time and consequence in his writing. Davies had some awesome stories and I Tenant was definitely one of a kind but Moffat, in my opinion, is a much better writer who tries to connect the dots more than Davies did.

I think the choice of Peter Capaldi is the right thing to do for now. People are starting to get a little tired of the love triangles and an older doctor gives the doctor a darker edge and makes him less prone to romantic whimsy.

That said, Matt Smith was utterly brilliant. I will miss his take on the Doctor immensely.

Oh, you misunderstood.

I only meant when it came to writing women he wasn't the best. When it comes to plots and the way he uses the aspect of time, he is up there with Robert Holmes. The reason I love his era so much is because he actually tackles time and complex nature of his stories and the ongoing arcs. I do think RTD was a good writer though, but doesn't compare to Steven.

Matt is my favorite Doctor. He sums up everything I love about the character and more. I will shed a tear come Christmas.

I don't... wasn't it just the regeneration energy? That seems a bit... hand-wavey. But then, I guess with Donna...

Hm.

No, remember that River was born Melody Pond. Melody Pond died in New York from sickness and turned into Mel, Amy and Rory's best friend. Mel was then killed in Germany 1945 and became River Song. River Song then died for the final time in the Library from an electrical shock. She didn't have anymore regenerations. She had previously given them to the Doctor.

I remember reading about that, but I always had this theory that it isn't self imposed, but rather predestined. 13 is considered an unlucky number, and as the Doctor always shows us, most of his victories are one part cleverness, one part finesse and a whole parts of blind luck. What if the 13th life is doomed? Murphy's Law, you know? Anything that can go wrong will go wrong? What if the 13th life is plagued by bad luck and pain that the Time Lord just decides to give up, rather than go on? It would be a pretty interesting story, seeing the Doctor endure the worst pains and hurt and woe and making the choice to move on or "move on".

Well, that's an interesting theory to say the least! I don't quite buy it to be honest, its just as valid as anything else at this point.

What I really want to know is HOW the hell is Moffat going to handle the doctor as the Valeyard at his own trial? (That's assuming the master was correct and the Valeyard is completely and utterly the doctor. I have a suspicion the Valeyard is not really either doctor but some form of the doctor brought into existence.)

Oh, you misunderstood.

I only meant when it came to writing women he wasn't the best. When it comes to plots and the way he uses the aspect of time, he is up there with Robert Holmes. The reason I love his era so much is because he actually tackles time and complex nature of his stories and the ongoing arcs. I do think RTD was a good writer though, but doesn't compare to Steven.

Matt is my favorite Doctor. He sums up everything I love about the character and more. I will shed a tear come Christmas.

Awesome man!. Thanks for the clarification.

Well, that's an interesting theory to say the least! I don't quite buy it to be honest, its just as valid as anything else at this point.

What I really want to know is HOW the hell is Moffat going to handle the doctor as the Valeyard at his own trial? (That's assuming the master was correct and the Valeyard is completely and utterly the doctor. I have a suspicion the Valeyard is not really either doctor but some form of the doctor brought into existence.)

You mean the John Hurt Doctor? You know everyone is speculating that the 12th Doctor seems like a "Darker Doctor". And Peter and John DO sort of look alike.

12 may be BOTH the Valeyard and the Lost Incarnation.

/shrug

The Master, if I recall, did refer to the Valeyard as an amalgamation of the Doctors evil between his twelfth and last regeneration, I believe. I suppose the could skip it because of the Time War and Gallifrey now being Time Locked, but I do hope Moffat dose tackle the Valeyard in some way. I have always loved that idea and storyline, this incarnation of the Doctor's darkness, and hoped that they tackle it when the time comes. The Great Intelligence in The Name of the Doctor did say that the Doctor would have many names before the end, one of them being the Valeyard.

I kinda took it that she used up her regenerations saving him, rather then giving them all to him but its an interesting theory.

It will be very interesting to see how they tackle the thirteen regeneration limit. In The Five Doctors though, the Time Lords offer the Master a new set of regenerations if he helps them save the Doctor, so it is something that could easily be bypassed by the writers. A popular idea seems to be that now Gallifrey is gone, there is no limits to regeneration, which wouldn't surprise me, even if it is a rather lazy excuses.

Interestingly, In The Sarah Jane Adventures episode Death of the Doctor he did state that he can regenerate 507 times (Although I think RTD put that in as a joke to the fans). It seemed more important in the early classic series, because in stories such as The Deadly Assassin (where the idea of 13 regenerations came from, I believe) and The Keeper of Traken, a major plot point is the fact that The Master has reached his last incarnation and is holding on in the search for more lives. He gets rejuvenated by adsorbing another character in Traken, not something I could really see the Doctor doing.

Edited by Cyberwoman

You mean the John Hurt Doctor? You know everyone is speculating that the 12th Doctor seems like a "Darker Doctor". And Peter and John DO sort of look alike.

/shrug

In Old Who, it is heavily hinted via the Valeyard and other connecting story lines that the twelfth and thirteenth Doctors are very dark characters (which makes Peter the perfect casting) with the story lines Doctor Who has currently dropped suggesting what his future holds is terrifying - this fits.

Interestingly, In The Sarah Jane Adventures episode Death of the Doctor he did state that he can regenerate 507 times (Although I think RTD put that in as a joke to the fans). It seemed more important in the early classic series, because in stories such as The Deadly Assassin (where the idea of 13 regenerations came from, I believe) and The Keeper of Traken, a major plot point is the fact that The Master has reached his last incarnation and is holding on in the search for more lives. He gets rejuvenated by adsorbing another character in Traken, not something I could really see the Doctor doing.

The Thirteen Regenerations was the Canon limit until it was decided by the BBC to change it during David Tennants run as he was so popular. His run essentially made Doctor Who marketable worldwide and in turn they made it so it can be a constant money stream so long as it remains successful (though this last season is considered by many long term fans to be the worst of New Who)

Edited by Cailahan

The Thirteen Regenerations was the Canon limit until it was decided by the BBC to change it during David Tennants run as he was so popular. His run essentially made Doctor Who marketable worldwide and in turn they made it so it can be a constant money stream so long as it remains successful (though this last season is considered by many long term fans to be the worst of New Who)

That's true, and both parts of Series 7 did split the fans a little more then usual. As a long term fan myself , I actually liked it. Yes, it had it's flaws, and one episode which I think was the worst in the New Series run (Journey to the Center of the TARDIS, 3/10) but it wasn't bad overall. Also, when you look at the ratings ans Appreciation Index, it all stayed very solid and more or less on level with the past New Who series. That being said, I think the BBC have learned their lesson about splinting the series (Well, hopefully they have!).

Edited by Cyberwoman

On the topic of Time Lord regenerations, this is what Neil Gaiman has to say on the issue . . .

Very interesting, I like the idea that the High Council were traffic cops as such.

Edited by Cyberwoman

/shrug

12 Can't be the Valeyard. The Valeyard is in between the 12th and 13th Regeneration. Something split off about the Doctor and all of the evil parts inside the Doctor created the Valeyard and the Master had helped build that persona of him

12 Can't be the Valeyard. The Valeyard is in between the 12th and 13th Regeneration. Something split off about the Doctor and all of the evil parts inside the Doctor created the Valeyard and the Master had helped build that persona of him

Unless 12 CREATED the Valeyard by splitting the evil out of himself in, say, the name of peace and sanity?

:eek:

Unless 12 CREATED the Valeyard by splitting the evil out of himself in, say, the name of peace and sanity?

:eek:

That is possible. The only thing I have really dug up about the Valeyard is the Master had a hand in the dealings. Which is why the Valeyard was the one at the doctors trial making all of the claims and showing how bad of a person he was

• 4 weeks later...
Here are some promo pics for the 50th Anniversary special (AKA "The Day of the Doctor")! :D

You beat me to it! :i_biggrin:

It is a beautiful pic, which is current my new desk top! :i_angel:

The BBC also announced there plans for the anniversary here. Looks like they are doing a lot of interesting things to help celebrate the show. On a related topic, I really cannot see why fans are so wound up that the special is 75 minuets and not 90. Length has nothing to do with quality, and we should just wait and see how the episode plays out before judging it like that.

Edited by Cyberwoman