petition for the ewok to be buyable via CC

astrobearx

I c an pay to avoid actually having to put forth a little effort, hence Pay 2 Win.

lol you have NO IDEA what pay to win actually means. Pay to Win in an MMO means that the ONLY way you can get a set of gear or a certain NEEDED item that makes you BETTER in the game is by paying for it. The ability to earn something in game along with the OPTION to purchase it with real money does not make it pay to win.

For me, you inability to even grasp the definition of the word discounts your opinion altogether.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not Pay 2 Win:

_If people pay money and then instantly get legacy level 40 : this can be considered Pay 2 Win.

_What can you win with an extra companion? win in operation?win in flashpoint? in pvp? send extra companion for crafting ?(the limit is still 5 comps maxed).

AGREED! Finally some common sense! Thank you!

Thankfully, most of the anti CM zealots on the forum are simply part of a small minority that claims the game is going to die every time Bioware does something they don't like. MOST players of SWTOR never go on the forums and sure as heck do not plan on quitting the game or canceling their subscription because a small but loud elitist minority of players thinks they should.

I'm assuming you don't have legacy level 40. If that's the case, lucky you. No need to grind since you will get the Ewok by paying real money? Yay.

_If people pay money and then instantly get legacy level 40 : this can be considered Pay 2 Win. (Isn't that the same as bypassing legacy level 40 to get an item that is meant to be unlocked in-game?)

Lol think about what you just said. The ONLY reason you even are saying the Ewok is for higher legacy level players is because BIOWARE (the same company you hate) TOLD YOU it was for those with a higher legacy level.

As long as there is not endgame GEAR and items that clearly make you a BETTER player being sold on the CM exclusively then it is not pay to win.

Ignore those complainers, Eric. People will always compain for something. Instead of being grateful they have an option to get this without spending cartel coins they choose to be whiny little girls.

Thanks for the verification!

Agreed! And like I said before, thankfully the majority of SWTOR players do not believe the nonsense coming from the anti CM zealots and continue to enjoy the game. Yes Bioware has messed up (delaying transfers being one of my major issues) but they have NOT turned this game into pay to win, at least not yet.

FFS...

I am an "old" player and have been playing for a very long time...

I am legacy level 50...

I have millions of credits...

I would rather buy the Ewok with cartel coins.

You wanna work for it, work for it. You wanna buy it, buy it. Seems to me that what the haters really want is for it to be rare and exclusive so that they have it and most other people don't. That doesn't seem very nice to me. It's a game. Hard work is fine if it gives you a sense of achievement, but it's a game! It's supposed to be fun.

And there is plenty of stuff that requires work. Focus on reputation vendor rewards - those take work and there is no quick fix. Same with Achievements. Are all your planets 100%? No? Go do that and don't worry so much about Ewoks. Killing 500 Black Sun strongs on Coruscant? Now *that* is grinding.

You feel this way because you are NOT one of the elitist jerk players who fill up every MMO forum and attempt to get other forum readers and the devs to believe they speak for the entire player population when in reality its a small and loud minority that simply believe they are better than all the other players.

Hey folks,

Just wanted to let you know that no petition is necessary, you will be able to acquire Treek via Cartel Market if you so choose. Having her be a part of the Legacy system allowed an avenue for players to get her without spending any of their Cartel Coins if they wanted!

-eric

Thanks a ton for that nod for putting in the time to get to Legacy Level 50. :rolleyes:

Having that companion gated at level 40 Legacy would have been a great little trophy for those of us who have reached a high legacy level. It is a huge letdown to know that anyone can drop some cash and buy it for nothing.

I am extremely disappointed over this decision.

I do enjoy my "Living Legend" title and am very thankful for it, but c'mon. Throw us a bone. Let us have this one. Make people earn it.

Let people spend the coin instead of game credits but PLEASE keep the Legacy Level requirement.

You feel this way because you are NOT one of the elitist jerk players who fill up every MMO forum and attempt to get other forum readers and the devs to believe they speak for the entire player population when in reality its a small and loud minority that simply believe they are better than all the other players.

Let me guess. You don't have anywhere near legacy 40, do you? The only way you'll be able to see this new companion anytime soon is to throw money at BW?

If it's a Legacy-wide unlock then I have no issues with this, but IIRC it costs 1 million credits to unlock HK per toon. Assuming this bear is going to be unlocked per toon as well, can we have the credit price reduced to 500K? Or just made a legacy wide unlock instead? HK seemed like a "Hey! Here's a really dull, time-consuming way of getting this companion, alternatively you can just pay us a small fee and get him right away!" situation, where we were being pressed into either repeating intentionally dull and lengthy content or getting him in under a minute for a small fee.

Happy to earn new companions in-game, but not for 1 million credits a toon (which is not a small amount for more casual players, despite what a minority claim). Making this Legacy-wide (if it's not already) would actually allow people to experience the new content more than they will otherwise, as most folks will buy it for one toon and one toon only, given the current price.

And yet you said the game will not going to be PAY TO WIN, when what Bioware is doing is exactly that.

So now players will no longer have to grind and play the game... Heh.. game ruined. Sigh, sad to see a big developer like Bioware getting desperate and going to pay to win route.

Good luck. Keep doing it. Why not put those armorings, crafting materials, mods, etc on the Cartel Market! Let's make a petition! Woot

Haha, in what way does one win the game if they have this Treek as their companion xD

Haha, in what way does one win the game if they have this Treek as their companion xD

Exactly!

from what ive heard, is that treek comes with level 10 mods. she has a Tank stance OR a healer stance. its not like each class doesnt get a companion that can heal, tank, or do damage. i dont see what the big deal is.

not having her will not affect your gameplay whatsoever

Let me guess. You don't have anywhere near legacy 40, do you? The only way you'll be able to see this new companion anytime soon is to throw money at BW?

Yep, haters are going to hate because they are new to the game and HAVE NOT reached at least level 40. Is it that hard? LOL... Those who are in favor to have Ewok purchasable on the CM are the ONES that are new and DOESNT HAVE legacy level 40.. too bad it's not our fault. How about play more and invest some time... or yet, subscriber for more than a year.

Oh trust me, ask those veteran players on the game itself and see what they think about the Ewok being purchasable on the CM. Sure, they're not in the forums but you will see that they are against to it.

So it's really up to Bioware. AT least still put the legacy requirement. It will make the new players to PLAY MORE and have something to achieve. The more time they spend, the more $ they will put in as they will remain a subscriber.

Exactly!

from what ive heard, is that treek comes with level 10 mods. she has a Tank stance OR a healer stance. its not like each class doesnt get a companion that can heal, tank, or do damage. i dont see what the big deal is.

not having her will not affect your gameplay whatsoever

Exactly! Bads will be bads.

FFS so many people don't know what pay 2 win means.

PAY 2 WIN = A combat advantage over OTHER PLAYERS. It has nothing to do with bypassing content or making things easy.

This is still a bad idea though. There's no point in playing an MMO where the rewards are available for real life cash. It needs to still have a legacy requirement even if you spend CC to buy it.

Edited by Sorenia

It is hard to say when Ewoks were discovered. 3P0 was able to speak a dialect of their language. That means that at some point in galactic history, they were met and known and their language was preserved for Protocol Droids.

No reason that couldn't be due to linguistics programming. There are many dead languages throughout history, and then those invented. There never has to have been contact with an audible language to be able to ascertain it's meaning. Droid programs would just make the process a lot easier, thus 3PO being able to chat to Ewoks.

As far as cannon goes, it's still a few thousand years until Ewoks are discovered.

As for the OP's question, I'd much rather not see this being purchased via CC. 1M credits is not difficult to earn through dailies. The less emphasis I see on the CM, and some value for subscribers, the better.

A lot of us are playing this game to achieve something. We play every day to meet our expected goal. if this is a sign where SWTOR is going, It's gonna be a sad day to all fans. new players will not care of course.

The only reason I've reached legacy level 40 is because I have fun playing this game. It came naturally. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't have worked so hard on my toons. The toons I've taken to 55, the class storylines I've experienced, the raids I've completed with my guild, the medals and valor I've earned in WZs - these are my achievements I've worked towards and am proud of. So I don't feel I am entitled to a pat on the back from BW because I find the game content itself rewarding. If you don't and if your only incentive to gain legacy lvl 40 is access to some exclusive items, then the game becomes a grind and isn't worth playing.

This thread has gone off the rails of the discussion and turned into throwing insults to one another and elitist ideolist forcing their beliefs on to others. So lets put some things in its proper perspective.

1. No where in Eric Musco's post did he say players can bypass the legacy requirement to unlock treek (granted it didn't say they couldn't either)

2. Even if a player could bypass the legacy requirement. It's still not Pay 2 Win. Treek is a purely cosmetic companion that is not needed to level or advance your character.

Having said all of this. I believe it will be a terrible mistake if Bioware allowed cartel coins to bypass the legacy level 40 requirement. While it may not be pay to win, it does leave a bitter taste in the mouth of Subscribers, who are suppose to get the premium deal out of the game. I am not saying take it out of the cartel market, I have no issues of it being there, as long as the legacy level 40 requirement remains there. Simply due to the fact that I believe that it is a bad idea to have those who pay a subscription every month to have to work harder to achieve an reward in game than a person who just drops $5-$10 on the CM.

So Eric, who I like to call "The Musco!!" :D, I think it would quell a lot of the dread on this thread if we can get a confirmation that purchasing Treek from the CM will still require a legacy level 40 or not.

No reason that couldn't be due to linguistics programming. There are many dead languages throughout history, and then those invented. There never has to have been contact with an audible language to be able to ascertain it's meaning. Droid programs would just make the process a lot easier, thus 3PO being able to chat to Ewoks.

As far as cannon goes, it's still a few thousand years until Ewoks are discovered.

As for the OP's question, I'd much rather not see this being purchased via CC. 1M credits is not difficult to earn through dailies. The less emphasis I see on the CM, and some value for subscribers, the better.

actually this is incorrect. If you read The Old Republic Book "Red Harvest" The Republic have a base on Endor

First off, I deplore the idea of being able to bypass Legacy Levels via the cartel market.

That said, I can't think of anything that is locked by Legacy Level that CAN'T be bypassed by the cartel market as things stand. So, Bioware wouldn't be doing anything new by allowing the Ewok to be bypassed as well.

The greater issue isn't necessarily "p2w" (even if the Cartel Market is about as close as you can get in the western F2P market).

No, the greater issue is what a failure the Legacy system is:

1) Meaningless, as all it really amounts to is that it potentially saves you money, since everything can be bought with money instead.

2) Pointless, because no one can even see your legacy relationships, so what was the point.

Cash shop creep is real, and games like SWTOR are pushing it to a whole new level, which is bad, because games designed around that philosophy stop being designed in a way that awards gameplay, as opposed to awarding whoever wants to spend more money.

First off, I deplore the idea of being able to bypass Legacy Levels via the cartel market.

That said, I can't think of anything that is locked by Legacy Level that CAN'T be bypassed by the cartel market as things stand. So, Bioware wouldn't be doing anything new by allowing the Ewok to be bypassed as well.

The greater issue isn't necessarily "p2w" (even if the Cartel Market is about as close as you can get in the western F2P market).

No, the greater issue is what a failure the Legacy system is:

1) Meaningless, as all it really amounts to is that it potentially saves you money, since everything can be bought with money instead.

2) Pointless, because no one can even see your legacy relationships, so what was the point.

Cash shop creep is real, and games like SWTOR are pushing it to a whole new level, which is bad, because games designed around that philosophy stop being designed in a way that awards gameplay, as opposed to awarding whoever wants to spend more money.

Glad there are others around here who see where things are headed.

lol you have NO IDEA what pay to win actually means. Pay to Win in an MMO means that the ONLY way you can get a set of gear or a certain NEEDED item that makes you BETTER in the game is by paying for it. The ability to earn something in game along with the OPTION to purchase it with real money does not make it pay to win.

For me, you inability to even grasp the definition of the word discounts your opinion altogether.

By your definition of pay 2 win, as long as something is obtainable in game, it can be sold on the CM and it won't be pay 2 win because it can be obtained in game.

That means that they can sell the BIS gear since that can be obtained in game by doing OPS, so by your definition selling BIS gear on the CM would not be pay 2 win. They can also sell instant max level characters with all companions at max affection and all companion unlocks since these also can be obtained in game and therefore would not fit your definition of pay 2 win. They can sell all those rare drop speeders since they can be obtained in game.

I take it from your post that you would be ok with them selling these things and other rare or difficult to obtain items as long as they could be obtained in game and it was only an OPTION to pay for them with real money.

Bioware you will make more money if you don't force a legacy level restriction... Why gimp yourself of revenue? Offer a cartel purchase option that bypases legacy. Watch the $$$$ roll in. Sure, you may get a few elitist protesters who will refuse to play you're game but who cares because once they leave the quality of the game will go up. They are the complainers of society who want to get rewarded for everything in life. They are the first to accuse people of being trolls. In reality, it takes one to know one.

Long live the cartel market.

I think I'm the only one who gets it. Stop looking at the Ewok like a legacy item. I'll wait.

Got it? Okay, now look at the Ewok as a cartel market item. I'll wait again.

You there yet? You see it? No? Okay, I"ll explain. Look at the Ewok as a cartel market item. Suddenly, it's not 'people lower than legacy 40 can buy it.' Now, it's 'there's a cartel market item that's really nice, but if you've put in the time to get a legacy level higher than 40, you unlock the option to buy it without using real money.'

Get it? It's not 'anyone can get it with cash', it's 'anyone can get it with cash but those of us who've put in the time can get it through gameplay instead'.