Male vs Female

Lynnx

It only becomes problematic when you pose as a cross-gender player, but this is the Age of Internet Deception, so this should not be a surprise anymore.

The only time my Suspicion-Meter begins to nudge upwards a bit is when a skimpy-clad female Character talks like a female player in chat; that is somewhat improbable (but not impossible).

Or do you mean when a scantily-clad female character talks like what a guy thinks a woman would talk like?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I create my characters I decide what gender I want to make them depending on the role I want them to be. I decided to make all my Tank characters male and all my DPS and Healer characters female. Other than the very first character, a sniper, I made on a different server I followed this plan.

I did at times have my female characters and companions dressed in the skimpy outfits but have since moved on to other armor sets, mostly the Gree Scalene armor sets of various colors.

Most people I play with don't really care what gender your character is as long as you know how to play your character and learn the mechanics. I don't even pay too much attention to what other characters look like anymore. I just worry about who the tanks and healers are so I can make sure they stay alive regardless of what role I'm currently in.

I'm a guy who likes to play both male and female characters.

My problem is that I feel embarrassed if I play a female toon and use voice chat.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Not at all.

I have mostly female characters and off hand, I think two males. As others have mentioned, if I'm going to spend time playing a character made of pixels, odds are it's going to be female.

My problem is that I feel embarrassed if I play a female toon and use voice chat.

Males who play female characters are in general, the worst players. Not saying you are, I've seen some good ones. But in general, they hare horrible. Also, I come from the line of thinking that it is weird if a male who does not have gender identity issues plays a female toon. Not going to say you're a bad person, whatever whatever, just my view.

Do what you enjoy though, it's everyone's game.

Males who play female characters are in general, the worst players. Not saying you are, I've seen some good ones. But in general, they hare horrible. Also, I come from the line of thinking that it is weird if a male who does not have gender identity issues plays a female toon. Not going to say you're a bad person, whatever whatever, just my view.

Sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder because you got burned once when you hit on a female toon, and it turned out to be a guy.

It may be hard for you to conceptualize, but some people don't project themselves into every game they play. Some people can put their own self aside and step into the place of someone else. I do not see my characters as a version of me, I see them as a character that I am controlling and walking through their personal story.

Do you have similar issues with people who play games such as Mirror's Edge, Lara Craft, Remember Me, or any other games that happen to feature female protagonists? Should those games only be played by males with gender issues as well?

Edited by MillionsKNives

I have a male and female version of each class, although my mains are normally female and in most games I prefer to play as a female character. I am a male, but have never used voice chat. If I did, I don't think I would be embarrassed. I mean, its not like i would pretend to be a girl or anything. (Although I have found that players sometimes treat you a lot better if they do think you are a real woman . . .) Edited by Cyberwoman

I'm male, but I've got a couple of female toons I play with. I don't use voicrchat, & do mostly solo stuff anyway so it's no big deal. And every female in my squad (character & companions) are scantily clad....why....because whether drawn, animated, or in real life, a female who's in shape & takes care of herself is a beautiful thing & I wanna see it. I work out with weights 3 days a week, & do cardio 2 days a week. And when it's nice weather, it's rare to see me with a shirt on. Lol. And in the words of 2Pac "if you got it, better flaunt it...."

I think you lose man points when you play a female toon no matter how you rationalize it. this is ok IF you don't mind losing a few man points. it only matters when your man card is in jeopardy..:D

BUT do you think Mr T or Chuck Norris would play a female toon?

that is why one might feel embarrassed.

/sarcasm off

Seriously?! Man points? I have 12 toons. 8 female, 4 male. I'm a man. My "Man Points" and "Man Card" will never be in danger of being revoked. Only someone who's insecure about himself would worry about his "Man Card". Then again I'm not some kid wooried about what others think of him.

Seriously?! Man points? I have 12 toons. 8 female, 4 male. I'm a man. My "Man Points" and "Man Card" will never be in danger of being revoked. Only someone who's insecure about himself would worry about his "Man Card". Then again I'm not some kid wooried about what others think of him.

I think you missed the last line of his post.

I'm a guy in RL, and personally, what I find really funny, is when this female player in my guild, goes into as warzone as a female toon, and completely decimates everyone on the other team. she rarely ever comes out with less than 40 kills with 10 solo kills. Almost everyone assumes she's a man, and when she tells them she's a woman, they get offended. Like they're less of a man than they were before they found out she was a woman in RL. Her and I have dueled a few times, and she always kicks my ***. Not b/c my toons aren't geared well, but b/c she's just that damned good. I also think some of the best gamers are female in RL. That's just my opinion.:rak_03:

No, I didn't miss the last line of his post. I just don't care what Chuck Norris or Mr. T would do. I'm not them. Anyone that uses the terms "Man Card", or "Man Points" is just juvenile. Plain and simple.

you missed the

/sarcasm off

Edited by Atramar

If you think the males who play female characters are the worst, then you have alot to learn. I've seen an even mix of male and female characters that truly suck at the game. Whether they're male or female in RL is immaterial. They still suck at the game.:rak_03:

Sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder because you got burned once when you hit on a female toon, and it turned out to be a guy. Nope, I don't hit on people in games. If you or anyone else does, that's your choice. That is the risk of doing something like that online after all.

It may be hard for you to conceptualize, but some people don't project themselves into every game they play. Some people can put their own self aside and step into the place of someone else. I do not see my characters as a version of me, I see them as a character that I am controlling and walking through their personal story. No, it isn't hard. Which is why I say "imho". It is not for me, but some people like it. I don't demean others for it if they are RP'ing a character. More power to them! It is everyone's game, after all. It is only when the person has no story for their character, no RL issue, etc that to me, it seems odd.

Do you have similar issues with people who play games such as Mirror's Edge, Lara Craft, Remember Me, or any other games that happen to feature female protagonists? Should those games only be played by males with gender issues as well? You seem to have taken what I said as an insult. Which is terribly unfortunate. You are also making a false comparison. As there is no choice in the matter of character there. You are playing in a pre-built universe with strictly defined roles in the game. So it is either play it, and experience the story (after all, Video games are a great story telling medium) or miss out on it. What you are suggesting, is that I said that males should not read books where the main character is female. Which would be absurd.

I do appreciate that you led with an insult though...I don't suggest it myself; even though that is probably what you perceive my post to be.

In Red

If you think the males who play female characters are the worst, then you have alot to learn. I've seen an even mix of male and female characters that truly suck at the game. Whether they're male or female in RL is immaterial. They still suck at the game.:rak_03:

Depends on the server and the game. On this, EQ2, and EQoA, males who play female toons are generally the worst. That, again...is not to say -all- are bad. But the pool of players who do this, have a bigger ratio of bad to good, than others. But, no, whether they are male or female in RL is not immaterial, it is part of the sample. All data is relevant =)

Same goes with the general RP server Player vs PvE server player. Both have horrible players, but one has a more probable chance of being with them, than the other.

Funny story:

Finishing Makeb on Republic Side

My own character is the male smuggler, standing there on the left in this screenpic. Both male characters, here, were played by female gamers. Both female characters were played by male gamers. All of us were in Mumble as we were playing through the story line.

The game's fun. I generally play the stories through both as a female character and a male character, just to see which I enjoy better. My Main is a male smuggler, because I honestly felt the story fit a male character better. My Sawbones is purely awesome, trust me. And I enjoy watching his backside when I'm running along, too, yes. :p

Damn me to hell! Sorry, wasn't sure what colour would be better...I will try a different one next time. Could be worse...I could have used blue.

we'r on a HIIIIIIIWay to hell..

sure, no problem :)

better then cyian or violet... or other combinations some people use on lore section to make their point more valid

I type violet, I misht be right <insert way to many ! here>

think when you said 'most male players who play fem toons are bads', many people took it to their heart instead of as personal observation.

I have 9 fem 3 male chars, and took no offense.

Edited by Atramar

Depends on the server and the game. On this, EQ2, and EQoA, males who play female toons are generally the worst. That, again...is not to say -all- are bad. But the pool of players who do this, have a bigger ratio of bad to good, than others. But, no, whether they are male or female in RL is not immaterial, it is part of the sample. All data is relevant =)

Same goes with the general RP server Player vs PvE server player. Both have horrible players, but one has a more probable chance of being with them, than the other.

Interesting. When did you carry out this survey and what method did you use to identify the RL gender of the players?

Or maybe you're just talking bullcrap?

Insecure much?

lolwut

how'd you come up with this ? :eek:

I'm a guy and four of my 9 toons are female and I don't get embarrassed at all when playing one of them while voice chatting. I agree with a lot of other guys..I'd much rather look at a girl character's butt for hours on end than I would a male's lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.