ETA on Advanced Class change?

This is the suggestion that I had made.

Reselect advanced class - Only allowed when class story is concluded. All points are naturally refunded.

It would cost CC to use, have a 15 day cooldown and all of your current gear would be removed from your toon. This way you could not sport heavy gear in a class that uses medium, etc.

Dual spec - Allowed when you choose your spec onward, but open use is only allowed after you conclude your class story.

Before your story conclusion dual spec would be restricted to use inside heroics, flashpoints, operations and warzones UNLESS the groupfinder tool allows you a free spec swap while qued to fill missing roles. It would be a permanent unlock feature, allowing you to save a particular setup...it saves point allocation and bar locations of specials but not gear setup. it would have a one hour cooldown, and would cost either EC or CC.

After conclusion of your storyline you are unlocked to spec swap any time you wish.

reselect advanced class as you described it? yeah i could live with that personally, minus the whole gear removal deal (because some of us wear adoptive gear with some of that adoptive gear being rare and expensive) although. I would still prefer it if it was a one time only change.

when you say dual spec - do you mean AC switch, or just saving presets for different setups within single advanced class?

if its first? no, i wouldn't like that at all and I hope they don't implement it that way. in part because it removes the gravity of making advance class choice in a first place, increases gear bloat (and potentially loot drama), and last but not least makes it even more likely that you run into people who are essentially ballast as they can neither play their class properly, not have the correct stats for it.

if its the second - then it would be nice, as long as current functionality of being able to switch talents whenever you want to whatever you want (aka field respec) is also preserved.

switching AC's is not like switching from playing WoW warrior to priest, since there are a lot of abilities, especially early ones that are shared between AC's, but its closer to that then switching between shadow and holy (which is what current field respec is, essentially)

Edited by Jeweledleah

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it when people want something and want it handed tot hem without effort, that they fall back on the "I want it and it won't affect you, so I should be able to have it".

When you repeat it like that, without actually refuting it, it just makes that argument seem even stronger.

Edited by schmel

They also said there'd be more class stories. Obviously, things change.

yeah and you prove how simple minded you are... they said for Mekeb there were no class stories, they never said that there wouldn't be any in future content.

are you honestly that simple? that one new planet doesn't involve a class story it means they are over forever?

like·ly

/ˈlīklē/

Adjective

Such as well might happen or be true; probable.

I hereby call you out on consistently trolling a variety of threads, general rudeness, and an overall lack of helpful or positive posts relative to your substantial player-directed negativity.

Since you seem to have a fondness for definitions, try this one:

Laziness-an aversion to work or effort.

This is the true predominate reason for wanting class changes, is it not?

reselect advanced class as you described it? yeah i could live with that personally, minus the whole gear removal deal (because some of us wear adoptive gear with some of that adoptive gear being rare and expensive) although. I would still prefer it if it was a one time only change.

Well, keep in mind that you could simply put the gear back on. It was just a suggestion to prevent folks from wearing Heavy armor on a medium armor class. But the particulars of my suggestion are not set in stone and open to feedback naturally. I can change it if you think it's not a good mechanism.

when you say dual spec - do you mean AC switch, or just saving presets for different setups within single advanced class?

You get to save setups for two specs within your AC. So it's the second.

if its the second - then it would be nice, as long as current functionality of being able to switch talents whenever you want to whatever you want (aka field respec) is also preserved.

I should have mentioned that...this suggestion should compliment field respec but not replace it IMO.

yeah and you prove how simple minded you are... they said for Mekeb there were no class stories, they never said that there wouldn't be any in future content.

are you honestly that simple? that one new planet doesn't involve a class story it means they are over forever?

they said they planned to move to Avenger style storytelling. Which last I knew, meant fraction based, not class based.

I also recall them saying the hard part was the class stories, because they then had to cover all the bases when it came to your choices, and it made the idea of more class stories pretty much impossible, and the focus on fraction based stories as the wave of the future.

Well, keep in mind that you could simply put the gear back on. It was just a suggestion to prevent folks from wearing Heavy armor on a medium armor class. But the particulars of my suggestion are not set in stone and open to feedback naturally. I can change it if you think it's not a good mechanism.

there's currently a mechanism already in game that prevents you from gaining any benefit from gear if its not right.

I'm talking of HK losing all his stats, even if he's wearing his lvl 50 gear (when you buy him under lvl 50) I'd say its more than sufficient to prevent people from wearing wrong armor class (and with adoptive gear, the armor class would simply adopt... and that opens up its own can of worms... which is why I'm very much preferring that if AC change happens? its one time only. to stop people from thinking they can hop between FOTM specs and think long and hard exactly why are they looking into switching AC in a first place)

Advanced Class=class. You wouldn't be able to buy a class change from a warrior to a mage in another game, it makes just as little sense in this one.

no adv class IS just SUBSET of a class, not entirely new class itself

a sith jugg is still a sith warrior and so goes for mara.

I don't agree advance class change but I do agree that it may happen. However I don't think it will work as people wanted which is switching advance class at lv 55.

I think Dev probably may allow switch advance class before lv 20 in the future. I think it is fair to say whenever you will like that advance class after you play it for 10 levels. Once you keep play beyond lv 20, I don't think the "Not liking the advance class" excuse works.

I know most people whom watch advance class change due to the fact they don't want to go through lv 1 to lv 10 again. Personally I don't think it is big deal to go through it again and I think leveling is best way to learn how to play the class. I have 2 sentinel (50 combat, 32 watchman.) 2 Guardian (37 Vigilance, 22 defense.) 2 Sage (55 hybird and 37 seer.) on same server. (Than again maybe I am just crazy since I have 3 hunters on same on WoW.. 1 each spec.)

Edited by hchsiao

Well, the original dev staff not only publically insinuated that the AC is a class, they also said it would never be allowed to be able to change it.

Of course they also said there were no plans for F2P, there would never be armor dyes, no cross class armor as that would violate the design integrity of the game and distinct class appearance, made it clear they were dead set against changing your appearance options after character creation, allowing XP increases, reducing travel cooldowns, having any kind of market in the game, etc.

This is a symptom of a very narrow design vision the original devs had...a design vision that caused the game to fall flat on it's face after launch IMO. This mechanic is a relic of that past.

This is not a comparison of Warrior to Inq...there is real distinction there, so they can be viewed as separate classes and that is how you do separate classes (The sith should have been one class IMO, but it works as they set it up). One should not be able to change from Warrior to Inq...they are far too different for it to make sense IMO.

But the AC is just a spec set choice. They share abilities between the ACs. Though there are some differences, they are not distinct enough IMO to consider them a new class. This is due to poor design IMO, but it still remains...changing AC is not that serious from my perspective.

Edited by LordArtemis

Well, the original dev staff not only publically stated that the AC is a class, they also said it would never be allowed to be able to change it.

Of course they also said there were no plans for F2P, there would never be armor dyes, no cross class armor as that would violate the design integrity of the game and distinct class appearance, made it clear they were dead set against changing your appearance options after character creation, allowing XP increases, reducing travel cooldowns, having any kind of market in the game, etc.

This is a symptom of a very narrow design vision the original devs had...a design vision that caused the game to fall flat on it's face after launch IMO. This mechanic is a relic of that past.

This is not a comparison of Warrior to Inq...there is real distinction there, so they can be viewed as separate classes and that is how you do separate classes (The sith should have been one class IMO, but it works as they set it up). One should not be able to change from Warrior to Inq...they are far too different for it to make sense IMO.

But the AC is just a spec set choice. They share abilities between the ACs. Though there are some differences, they are not distinct enough IMO to consider them a new class. This is due to poor design IMO, but it still remains...changing AC is not that serious from my perspective.

Again, does the sorcerer stealth? Is the assassin ranged DPS? Does the sorcerer use a double balded light saber? Can a sniper stealth? Can an operative be a truly mobile DPS? Can a marauder wear heavy armor? Can a juggernaut use 2 light sabers?

The AC's are separate and distinct classes. They may share a common root, and even a talent tree, but they are different classes.

As you pointed out, the devs did state that the AC's were different classes. They may have changed their minds on some things, but they have never gone back on their statement that AC's are different classes.

You can say that they may be poorly designed classes, but that does not make them the same class.

I don't agree advance class change but I do agree that it may happen. However I don't think it will work as people wanted which is switching advance class at lv 55.

I think Dev probably may allow switch advance class before lv 20 in the future. I think it is fair to say whenever you will like that advance class after you play it for 10 levels. Once you keep play beyond lv 20, I don't think the "Not liking the advance class" excuse works.

I know most people whom watch advance class change due to the fact they don't want to go through lv 1 to lv 10 again. Personally I don't think it is big deal to go through it again and I think leveling is best way to learn how to play the class. I have 2 sentinel (50 combat, 32 watchman.) 2 Guardian (37 Vigilance, 22 defense.) 2 Sage (55 hybird and 37 seer.) on same server. (Than again maybe I am just crazy since I have 3 hunters on same on WoW.. 1 each spec.)

I think that's probably true. The thing is that levels 1-10 don't teach you how to play your class at all. Especially if you consider the AC to be the class. 1-10 is more of a tutorial mode that teaches you how to play the game. And most games let you skip tutorial mode after you've played it once.

Edited by schmel

I'd say lvl 30 should be cutoff level, if only because by that point you are starting to get more abilities and definitely figure out if class is for you (mind you, I realized that I didn't like shadow, while still around lvl 12, but I'm also realizing that I didn't get to see nearly enough of the class to make a judgement) (also the reason I personally wanted a change not because i didn't want to go through 1-10 levels. i 1-10 is easy. t was because I already invested a bunch of credits into legacy/inventory unlocks on that character, not to mention her having a pet that is no longer available in game)

I do actually like the idea of being able to switch class (once) while you are still leveling, but not at max level.

not really semantic on my end.

sith warrior is the core class

jugg and mara is the subset of the SW, not a separate nor a new class .

Yours is even more semantic than his. The entirety of your argument is tied up in the definition of a word. At least his argument brings abilities and armor into the equation. Yours doesn't. Your entire argument is ONE WORD. The beginning and end of your entire argument is that this should be allowed because of a way that you define a single word (which the developers don't share, and they're the final word).

That's as semantic as it gets.

Edited by Caelrie

Why not make it a legacy unlock?

Example: If you have a 50 Sage and a 50 Assassin you can trade ACs. This would allow people to change ACs, but you would have to learn how to play both beforehand.

I would be COMPLETELY fine with this and totally happy with this solution. :)

There have been many people who have expressed concerns about being grouped with players who just switched AC's and not having the experience or proper gear for their newly chosen role, for starters.
This is complete fearmongering. You have as much danger of facing this if you deal with someone who just switch to Tank after leveling 53 levels as DPS and has no Tanking mods or augments and all low-Health/high-Stat armorings.

Better prevent people from respec'ing, huh?

Well If this were to happen we would see a great reduction with PVP players crying about OP classes - because everyone would just switch to said OP class on the fly.
Yes. Your 1 in 7 chance of being able to switch to the current PvP darling. Such power! Edited by SW_display_name

Yours is even more semantic than his. The entirety of your argument is tied up in the definition of a word. At least his argument brings abilities and armor into the equation. Yours doesn't. Your entire argument is ONE WORD. The beginning and end of your entire argument is that this should be allowed because of a way that you define a single word (which the developers don't share, and they're the final word).

That's as semantic as it gets.

how is my post semantical?

first, sw adv classes main attack in rotation are the core abilities.all SW players whether jugg or mara use the the CORE abilities in their rotation. the advance classes are JUST SUB CLASSES not NEW CLASSES.

the advance classes are a fork in the road

example

_____________________________________________ / juggernaut

Sith warror -------/

\

___________________________________________ \mararuder

BOTH classes are still warrior, but each one just branches off into a new sub classes.

they ,however, are not a new class.

Edited by astrobearx

Laziness-an aversion to work or effort.

This is the true predominate reason for wanting class changes, is it not?

I have a question.

With your ferocious obsession about hard work and effort, why are you not somewhat more uncomfortable about all the hours you spend arguing about mild changes in a single computer game?