Harry Potter, Helm's Deep, and Early Game Access

CBGB

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious JustTed? He never said he was entitled to anything. All the OP said was that if bioware wants to do well they should learn to communicate with their costumers rather then just make vague posts. I don't see what's so hard to understand about his post.

The thing is that planning to distribute physical copies of books to a few hundred people who will leave and will discontinue taking up tangibles such as space is completely different to planning the contained and managed release of software over the Internet. And then these tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people will be using up server resources. The planning required needs to be fluid and thus communication will be vague at best. I think Bioware is doing a pretty admirable job and we should be thankful that they extended the early release by two days so they could get past the hump of initial pre-order customers.

That said I do agree that the OP had some good points and the post was a worthwhile read unlike most of the complaints about this process thus far. I think he was genuinely trying to offer some productive and constructive criticism. So kudos to him.

While I agree with the OP, communication is very important for any business to it's customers. And be straight, don't talk in circles that will annoy people when they don't get an actual answer. It's perfectly okay to say, "I don't know."

The problem with communication is that people take everything you say as some kind of promise. If Bioware came out and said exactly what dates where being let in, when and how many....then something changed and they had to push a group backwards, they'd be hated on more than they are now.

As it stands, they never gave exacts to anyone. This sucks for everyone waiting, but it keeps them from breaking promises, even when they never actually promised. Many people would start calling them liars and that would be worse, to many, than not telling us anything.

MMO players, the majority but not all, aren't patient. They aren't logical. They aren't nice or understanding. They are selfish, demanding and cynical.

They will find the negative thing in everything done. Think about the boards all day today. Everyone was told Early Access would start on the 15th for months. So these people prepared themselves for possibly getting in on the 15th.

Instead, it comes two days early. What do they do? You know what they do.

They were fine with getting in on teh 15th prior to last week. Now suddenly they want in NOW. No regard for logic or even considering that they are getting free game time, which even if it's a day is better than waiting until the 20th.

No, it's all nay-saying and threats. Give me what I want or I quit. I deserve more than anyone else.

It's sad, pathetic and frankly disappointing.

If the devs told us all exactly what we wanted to know, it would do just as much harm as good with the majority of the people waiting. They would scream about how they get cheated because they waited 12 minutes more than someone else. They would still threaten to quit. They would still call foul.

The only people who wouldn't do this...are the same people who are sitting by right now patiently waiting without the extra communication. My point is basically, we logical ones are the only ones who would be "okay" with whatever they say, and we are okay right now anyway.

Just my opinion.

Early Game Access at Barnes & Noble

One of them bumped against the door, pressed by the mob behind him. A fellow employee looked at me and asked, 'Did you see Lord of the Rings?'

'Yeah,' I said.

'Remember when the orcs arrive at Helm's Deep?'

'Yeah,' I sighed.

I lol'd at this part xD

Its a shame your post will go unnoticed. Even if they do notice it, it won't change the stupid way they are handling this. Your post is the best one I've seen all day!

Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

I'm pretty sure what's really going on here is Bioware is looking at the number of people who are actually in the game right now, then looking at the meager number of people making shallow demands on the forums and they are thinking, "Yeah, stick to the plan".

The way I see it, all these people on here crying their eyes out will totally forget all of this, the second they get their invite. Actually that's not even a theory, I know that's what will happen. People are so predictable these days...

OP, well said and kudos to you.

This is a very articulate post and it sums things up in a very organized and thoughtful manner.

I'm posting not only to give props to the OP, but I'm also bumping this in the hope that BW reads it very carefully.

Your customers are your lifeblood, learn this lesson quickly.

No time table - yes, some people are displeased and it "feels" like there is a disconnect between BW and the player base.

Put up a timetable and risk - instability issues, crashes and problems. Then you have people legitimately pissed off and even worse press.

They made the right call.

While I am pretty darn laid back about the whole early access situation, this was a very nice post to come across. I know it probably isn't much fun for those of you who are dealing with various annoyances associated with the waiting (and more importantly the not knowing) but hopefully by the time Dec 20th rolls around, everyone will be able to move past this and enjoy the game. - crosses fingers -

P.S. Speaking of Harry Potter: I did manage to "ruin" quite a few people's nights during the premier of the final movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e82me6xEqA

Out of all the post with people complaining today this if the first one that was done well. I may not agree that the process is being handled badly but at least you made well thought out points, gave examples, and did not QQ.

Point number 1 can't be argued with. You are 100% correct. However, I don't think the problem is that they are giving out access poorly just that many people don't understand the reasons behind why they are doing it this way or they just don't care because they are not in yet. People want to reserve names and be the 1st to do stuff but can't.

Point number 2: I think Bioware does a far better job communicating that almost any other company out there. They have given us posts on things such as the Unify to Chest feature which was a big deal to many people. Some companies would just never say a damn thing about something like that. They have been letting us know when emails have gone out and how many more waves they expect and when. They even rolled out an extra wave today. The reason they can't tell us when to expect our email is simply because if something comes up and they have to delay a wave those people will flip the F out. Better to not say anything for certain. I do think they should tell us what date ranges got invited with each wave to help us better guess when we will get in but oh well.

Point number 3: Not sure what you want them to do here. Are you saying people who purchased the CE should get priority over those who did not. If so I disagree and I am a CE owner. If they did it this why I wouldn't complain cause I would be in but I do not believe it is the most fair way to do it. I think they are doing there best and they have done a great job.

The fact is people are upset not because of the way this is being done but because they are not in yet and other people are. I promise no one in the first wave of invites thinks this is unfair. This is early access not official launch. Did you ever see Blizzard give early access? No. And we all know who the first day of an xpac goes. 100 people all trying to kill the same mobs and even with fast respawns its a pain in the ***. This staggering method will make the game more enjoyable when you do get in.

Again I do want to thank you for at least posting a constructive post of why you are unhappy instead of the same QQ I have been reading all day.

P.S. Speaking of Harry Potter: I did manage to "ruin" quite a few people's nights during the premier of the final movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e82me6xEqA

Lame! I just watched you video and was hoping to see you giving real spoilers away and instead you are telling them the end of the 6th movie when you are at the opening for the 8th movie. You just wasted 10 minutes of my life for a joke with no punch line.