Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

so...why do blaster bolts tend to "bend" to my target?

einsoff

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use the force to bend the will of people. Therefore, it's easy to bend a simple laser bolt.

Lore explained.

care to elaborate? Seems like you are just BSing. Any sources, etc? It still happens against non-force users too.

Edited by einsoff

care to elaborate? Seems like you are just BSing. Any sources, etc? It still happens against non-force users too.

Please watch Empire Strikes Back, there's a scene in Cloud City where Han shoots at Darth Vader and he just bends all his shots to hit the palm of his raised hand.

It's great design. I don't even want to imagine all the QQ threads because blasters are useless in this game if they didn't "hom in on targets.

well it would make more sense for blaster bolts to adjust to runners in a way that didnt obviously BEND THE **** OUT OF THEM.

Guys I have an issue with the game also.. whenever I am walking around the world some weird box shows up in the corner of the screen with people who I don't know shouting at each other. It really ruins the immersion. Anyone have any lore to back this up?

It's not bad design. WoW did this as well. Magic and arrows would curve towards the targets. I used to fly on my mount past ranged enemies and have their slow projectiles trail me around forever. It's good times.

The hit chance is determined when you attack and damage is assigned and then the animation happens. If your bolts appeared to be missing when they were actually hitting it would feel awkward and people would complain. If your hit chance and damage were based off of location in space and hit detection then it would be more like a weird first-person shooter and people would complain that they could never hit their target. You'd be able to artificially increase your armor and endurance by moving all the time.

What they should probably do is speed up the animation of the flying lasers so you don't see the curves as much.

I wont pretend to know all the specifics, but I'm guessing something like this happens when you are using your skills:

1. You press a hot key to fire a blaster shot at your target.

2. The game decides then and there if you hit or miss.

3. Your attack will hit

4. Blaster Animation

5. Target moving

6. Animation adjusts.

It is probably too hard to design it so that if the target moves the blaster bolt then missing. Lets say the animation does not adjust, and it just flies off and hits nothing, but it still does its damage. That would look just as silly.

well it would make more sense for blaster bolts to adjust to runners in a way that didnt obviously BEND THE **** OUT OF THEM.

How exactly would that work, given the fact that the computer is not psychic and cannot predict which direction people will move after the bolt is fired. So, either they track, miss, or move so fast that the battles look dull.

I assume what you're asking for here is that blaster fire be animated in a way that it leads the target. Sensible request.

However, at the max range, it is possible for your opponent to change direction before the blaster fire lands. In either scenario you're going to have issues. Either blaster fire tracks a moving target in the way it currently does, or hits still register despite completely missing a target.

I'll take the former.

Could potentially work for mobs, but how would they do that in PvP? There's no way to predict the movements of a human player. So then they'd have two separate systems for something that's purely cosmetic.

If bolts lead their target animation-wise, you'd still run into situations where a person running left could switch to running right while the bolt was mid-flight, and it would just miss him. This, being purely an animation thing, would have no impact on him being hit or not.. but it's a little weirder to have shots clearly missing a target while numbers roll up over his head than it is to see bolts curve towards targets.

Do you want a made-up explanation as to why this works, just to make you feel better? Magnets. Blaster bolts are gasses that have been excited into a plasmic state and surrounded by a magnetic field to hold them together. Just pretend that magnetic field homes in on dorks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.