What is the point of my $15 a month?

kanaughty

I like this whole "my subscription fee funds developement of *insert-whatever-you-feel-entitled-to-here* so i should get it for free".

You do realise that the cartel market is the main income of this game?

Subs are just a side income thats not really funding the game in a major way.

If anything, the only ones that should get anything for free are the people who have purchased substantial amounts of cartel coins for real money.

Ive spent 7-8 times more on cartel coins than i have on my subscription. Obviously, according to your reasoning, i have contributed more to this game than the OP then, so i should have more free stuff than him.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your $15 a month gets you access to their GARBAGE lottery system. That's it. Everything else is now "extra" and needs to be purchased with lottery tickets... or reputation certificates... which need to be purchased with lottery tickets. Fun right? Oh this is so fun. Save up your money folks. 2.2 is right around the corner and they have even more trivial garbage that you can buy. Oh wait. You can't buy it. You have to buy their stupid lottery ticket. Good luck! Also, your subscription is due.

• 2 months later...
this is def a rich persons game. im p2p and i spend a pretty penny to get the stuff they come out with, the new comp, treek, is 2.1k cartel lol..... for everyone of my alts thats 20k+ for 40 dollars you get 5.5k and you must buy her each time... really? i can understand buying once but for each of my avis thats outragious.

this is def a rich persons game. im p2p and i spend a pretty penny to get the stuff they come out with, the new comp, treek, is 2.1k cartel lol..... for everyone of my alts thats 20k+ for 40 dollars you get 5.5k and you must buy her each time... really? i can understand buying once but for each of my avis thats outragious.

Uh, no...you unlock Treek though collections for your whole account for 700 CC.

Also, you can buy her for credits if you have the appropriate legacy level and unlock her individually for credits.

Uh, no...you unlock Treek though collections for your whole account for 700 CC.

Also, you can buy her for credits if you have the appropriate legacy level and unlock her individually for credits.

uh ok, i had to pay 2.1k cc. why did you only have to pay 700? also, although i did start at launch i quit and dont have legacy lvl 40. now what?

uh ok, i had to pay 2.1k cc. why did you only have to pay 700? also, although i did start at launch i quit and dont have legacy lvl 40. now what?

Now you work to get your legacy to level 40 (which is not really that hard...just play the game) and you buy Treek with credits instead of Cartel Coins.

And also, 2100 is the price to unlock Treek the first time you buy her from the CM. After that, you pay 700 if you want to unlock her for the rest of the characters of your account (ALL of the rest, not individually 700 per character...) .

Edited by TheNahash

Now you work to get your legacy to level 40 (which is not really that hard...just play the game) and you buy Treek with credits instead of Cartel Coins.

And also, 2100 is the price to unlock Treek the first time you buy her from the CM. After that, you pay 700 if you want to unlock her for the rest of the characters of your account.

alright, thank you. but still, it costs bucks to play this game properly and f2p are gimped and it shows. some are decent if they n=know whaqt theyre doing but the majority dont and give the rest a very bad name

Edited by Tracor_Marr

uh ok, i had to pay 2.1k cc. why did you only have to pay 700?

2100cc is the cost of Treek. But rather than spend 2100 on each character, you go into collections and pay 700 to unlock Treek for all characters on your account. It works cross-server too.

also, although i did start at launch i quit and dont have legacy lvl 40. now what?

You don't need the legacy to use CC, just credits. If you would rather use credits, be patient and keep leveling your Legacy, Treek won't go anywhere.

alright, thank you. but still, it costs bucks to play this game properly and f2p are gimped and it shows. some are decent if they n=know whaqt theyre doing but the majority dont and give the rest a very bad name

What does F2P have anything to do with Treek?

If F2P people feel "gimped" they should subscribe - there's an idea :)

Also, I think you might be confusing the fact that most F2P players are new to the game and therefore inexperienced with the idea that the majority is somehow bad.

That's nonsense.

F2Pers do not get access to less skills than the rest of us do. They level faster but they have access to everything they need to be competitive.

Now, if they want to make their experience better and meanwhile help the game they enjoy they should subscribe like the rest of us. I don't see how that's so irrational.

Edited by TheNahash

wait for other people to buy cartel market treek, for timer to run out and then search GTN for it. just make sure you get the one that doesn't' require legacy lvl. probably going to cost more than 1 mil credits, that legacy TREEK costs, but...

What? you want to play Free, unrestricted?

Game is Freemium NOT Free. That means that full access costs you a subscription, AND some content is via the game shop on top of that. A la LoTRO, TSW, STonline, etc. etc.

And you can aquire Treek using credits by buying the Cartel Contract off the GTN. Market rate on my server is ~2Mcredits.... so NO.. you do not have to pay real additional dollars. THEN.. if you are as subscriber... you use your free coins that come with your subscription to purchase the Collections unlock for 700 CC and you then have the companion account wide.

Only the impatient need ever actually purchase cartel coins, if they are subscribers.

Edited by Andryah

What? you want to play Free, unrestricted?

Game is Freemium NOT Free. That means that full access costs you a subscription, AND some content is via the game shop on top of that. A la LoTRO, TSW, STonline, etc. etc.

And you can aquire Treek using credits by buying the Cartel Contract off the GTN. Market rate on my server is ~2Mcredits.... so NO.. you do not have to pay real additional dollars. THEN.. if you are as subscriber... you use your free coins that come with your subscription to purchase the Collections unlock for 700 CC and you then have the companion account wide.

Only the impatient need ever actually purchase cartel coins, if they are subscribers.

Just to point out.

Coins subscribers get are Not Free. They added certain amount of coins to each subscription to give them some more value when the Cartel Market was implemented. So when choosing a subscription you take into account how many coins you will be purchasing as well when you select one. Basically every Subscriber pays for Cartel Coins. :)

The only coins that a player can get monthly which can be considered Free are the 100 coins from a Security Key and the 100 coins from a Friend Referral Subscriber. The reason being that a player does not have to pay anything for those.

In any case you are right in that the game is Freemium and not Free. Plus players could just buy Treek of the GTN like you say.

I will say that it is sad that some features were added to the game through the Cartel Market. But that is just a sad fact of a F2P System. :rolleyes:

There's only one "point" of your $15 a month. It allows you to play with subscriber benefits.

That's all.

You can look up what these are, or play f2p for awhile and you'll quickly discover them. It's not about "paying for new development" or upgrades or anything the least bit philosophical. That kind of stuff isn't even really any of your business.

$15.00/month = subscriber status with its inherent benefits and detriments.

$00.00/month = f2p status with its inherent benefits and detriments.

If $15.00/month is worth it to you, you'll pay. If it is not, you will not. It's really that simple.

what you get ...

500 CC a month (so yeh the things in the store are free as long as you dont gamble your coins away)

12 character slots

The ability to send credits in mail between alts (this is a biggy for me)

No credit cap

Hide headslot / unify colours

6 quick bars

Unlimited warzones

Unlimited flashpoint rolls

Unlimited space missions

Artefact equipment

Event Equipment

Access to Operations

Access to things like Section X

Faster levelling & rested XP

Discounted expansions (assuming they continue that theme)

No restrictions on chat

... thats all i can think of right now. As someone who doesnt always have a lot of time to play this game, I often unsub for a while. Its fine for just ocasional playing but when I actually want to really play the game properly I alway resub. It makes a massive difference especially if your an alt-aholic like me. So yeh, personally i do think its worth £9 (or $15) a month, I mean thats like the price of a cinema ticket or two pints and a packet of crisps.....

Ehh, I saw what you did there :p

Mmm...

Lots of great arguments for both sides...

I would simply ask, having 6 bars, unlimited chat, etc really worth $15/month?

Does the 500 Ccs really buy you anything meaningful?

As a whole, I would think the answer is a: No

I do not deny that being a subscriber has its benefits, but I don't see their accumulated value worth $15/month, more like maybe $5 and maybe $5 more for the token CCs you pay for with the subscription. Perhaps if they were to raise the CCs you buy with subscription money to 1000 CCs, the feel of equitable value can be achieved, as long as it does not result with a doubling of all you can buy at the cartel occurs.

Sue

It all comes down to a cost-benefit calculation everyone has to make for him/herself according to their preferences.

I for example play fairly often and enjoy to do FPs OPs and PvP and all new content in general on a regular basis, mostly with my guild. I also save up my CC grant and buy the things I really care about, like legacy unlocks for my alts. Everything else I just buy via GTN with creds.

So for my personal playstyle I'd have to buy pretty much all the unlocks available for all of my chars and buy the access to do FPs, OPs and WZs on a regular basis.

This leads me to the conclusion, that paying a monthly sub is very much worth it to me for as long as I'm enjoying myself in this game.

Like I said above, everyone has to decide wether it's worth it to them or not and just roll with whatever conclusion they arrive at. Simple really.

Edited by Knorlac

it all comes down to a cost-benefit calculation everyone has to make for him/herself according to their preferences.

I for example play fairly often and enjoy to do fps ops and pvp and all new content in general on a regular basis, mostly with my guild. I also save up my cc grant and buy the things i really care about, like legacy unlocks for my alts. Everything else i just buy via gtn with creds.

So for my personal playstyle i'd have to buy pretty much all the unlocks available for all of my chars and buy the access to do fps, ops and wzs on a regular basis.

This leads me to the conclusion, that paying a monthly sub is very much worth it to me for as long as i'm enjoying myself in this game.

Like i said above, everyone has to decide wether it's worth it to them or not and just roll with watever conclusion they arrive at. Simple really.

qft :)

qft :)

if you're going to put this in your sig

You're neither right nor wrong because people agree with you or disagree with you. You're right because your facts and your reasoning are right. - Warren Buffett

why would you feel it necessary to tell people when you agree or disagree with them? just because you believe your facts and reasoning are right, does not make them right.

im wondering the same thing as OP

seems like all the content is being hidden behind paywalls and cash shop crap

i hear the 2.4 patch is going to have a cash shop mount, if i'm already paying 15 a month, i shouldnt be asked to pay more money than that for a mount. this is bad, i am going to unsub if the bounty week is as bad as it seems it will be, nothing but reskins and another rep grind.

why would you feel it necessary to tell people when you agree or disagree with them? just because you believe your facts and reasoning are right, does not make them right.

To express your own opinion on a subject in a discussion forum. Being right or wrong has nothing to do with it, you may or may not accept other opinions. Pretty much what a discussion is about, no?

Edited by ELRunninW

im wondering the same thing as OP

seems like all the content is being hidden behind paywalls and cash shop crap

i hear the 2.4 patch is going to have a cash shop mount, if i'm already paying 15 a month, i shouldnt be asked to pay more money than that for a mount. this is bad, i am going to unsub if the bounty week is as bad as it seems it will be, nothing but reskins and another rep grind.

I think the topic is a bit bias, and your reply as well. Lets look at the facts. There is undeniable value behind subscription. The correct question would be:

What is subscription worth to ME?

or otherwise, how much more value would make ME happy?

To express your own opinion on a subject in a discussion forum. Being right or wrong has nothing to do with it, you may or may not accept other opinions. Pretty much what a discussion is about, no?

seems a person would either think that other people's opinions on whether you agree or disagree are important to consider, and in that case it would be absolutely reasonable to provide such an opinion, or they would think other opinions on whether you're right are wrong is not important. i just thought it was odd that a person would clearly state in their signature that warren buffett thinks other people's opinions on whether you're right or wrong is not important, and then show how they think it is important to provide those opinions themselves. if a person were to disagree with warren buffett's statement, why put it in a signature? "qft" does not add a new element to consider in a discussion. it doesn't refute another point or anything. it's just a way to say 'i agree,' which contradicts the quote in the signature. if you were to suggest that a given person thinks other people's opinions aren't important to them, but their opinion is important to others, makes no sense to me.

anyway, i think the cartel market makes some new game content and features inaccessible to subscribers unless they pay extra, which can be bad. my proposal would be to create a second subscription tier, maybe $30/mo, and have *all* new content guaranteed to be available for that price, always and forever until the end of the game. you wouldn't be able to sell cartel market stuff on the gtn, because that would exploit/break what economy there is. however, as a super subscriber, i would know that i get to experience all of the game, and i wouldn't have to pick and choose what to buy. that way, any new speeders in gambling packs would be available to all my toons, the health animations things, emotes, cartel toys, ewoks, story content in datacubes, ect. they could make more money (assuming imminent economic collapse is a real concern, rather than just greed?) and make subscriptions work. it's simpler, and i like simple. for me, i don't think i would mind paying more so much as i'm concerned they're going to try to keep pushing it, and that's not fun.

the barbershop is the only huge problem I have. you have to pay real life money!? really!?

that is pure BW/EA greed at its FULLEST

things included in the barbershop like race and sex change, yes I can understand a paid service for that. but, to change hair color or something minimal like that is totally OBSURD to force the consumer to use real life money for something that should be included into the game for free!

yet, here we have people in this thread that will defend BW and rationalize there greed only because we have become accustomed to being ripped off as if its normal Quid pro quo.

Edited by displaynamee