The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Just had the standard "tank needing on the DPS item I could have used" issue tonight. People suck; and I could have used those boots on my DPS--one of two who cleared most of the instance before the tank actually made it to the group.

Whatever, I tank on my main, but wow, people think that is ok?

I find Tanks to be the most annoying people in this game. I think becasue they know they will not have a long queue time they tend to act like tools. I had one tank threaten to kick me becasue I marked CC Targets.

Just had the standard "tank needing on the DPS item I could have used" issue tonight. People suck; and I could have used those boots on my DPS--one of two who cleared most of the instance before the tank actually made it to the group.

I've actually had a DPS Sent roll need on a willpower item that I needed on for my sage because he wanted it for his Comp. Being the person who really doesn't give two ***** I didn't say anything, but it irked me and I added him to ignore. However, I have accidentally rolled need on an item I meant to greed because I wasn't paying attention. If someone ask for it I'll hand it over because I usually don't use DPS gear on my healers.

Popped into lowbie Athiss last night with my DPS shadow, along with a commando healer, commando DPS and guardian "tank."

First part of the run up to the first boss went pretty well. You're mostly dealing with trash to that point, and the boss fight went fine except the tank tended to let the adds swarm the healer, but we took care of them.

Get to the outside, and I say, "Let me run ahead and cc the golds in some of these mobs to make this easier." The first time I do, the tank attacks the cc. Hmmmm. First sign of trouble. We get to that section where you turn the corner and hug the wall, and instead of letting me just cc the creature siting there he runs up and attacks it, pulling the whole mob of four, and I barely survive the fight because I've suddenly got threat left and right. I realize the tank isn't taunting.

The mob at the bottom of the steps, with the two shamans, the tank actually manages to not to attack the cc'ed gold. There's hope! Then we get to the top of the steps and he doesn't leave me time to cc, just force leaps to the gold.

We decide to do the alternate pull to the cave. We explain to the tank what we want to do. He seems not to understand and just stands there, so we show him the cave and say, "You go open on him, bring him back here and we won't have to deal with adds." Finally, the healer and other DPS run up with him, start the fight and start running for the cave. The show up along with the Beast of Vodal Kresh, a ton of adds, and a tank that isn't taunting. Instead of running into the cave, the damn boss is running all over the map -- over the cliff edge, down the steps, everywhere. As a result we're pulling every mob we skipped along the path, AND he starts spawning his little adds. We get separated and wipe.

As we run back, I very politely start explaining what he needs to do. It's at that point that I realize that he's in the wrong lightsaber form and has not used Guard once. This is along with not taunting. I tell him about his form and he doesn't change it. Fine. I tell him, "You need to go up, use Taunt from range so the boss starts chasing you, and run all the way back here. Keep using taunt, and run him INSIDE the cave so he can't get away." He sort of manages it, except he again opened with Force Leap, so he pulled some of the Strong adds and the gold along. But he gets inside the cave. Learning is fun!

Now I realize that he STILL isn't taunting. He didn't open with it, he's not using it, and I'm getting about 75% of the threat! with the healer getting the other 25%. I'm running around trying to DPS and avoid the stuns, the healer is trying to keep me alive and add a third set of DPS, and at one point I use Blackout and type "TAUNT HIM PLEASE." I die, but miraculously they kill him, only the fight lasted, I swear to dog, four minutes. The healer rezzes me and says, "Sorry, I couldn't keep up with you." The boss drops a piece of Willpower gear,am helmet, and the guardian tank rolls NEED and wins the roll. In fact, he's rolled need on everything -- prototype quality blaster cannon, an orange moddable pistol, everything.

That's when I politely but firmly explain to our tank what the job of a tank is. I tell him, "Look, you need to change lightsaber forms. That alone will help keep your threat up over mine. You have got to taunt these enemies. Every time you can't see their faces, it means you've lost aggro. Taunt them. Kite them away from our healer and ranged DPS. Use Guard and switch it if you see someone in trouble." Etc., etc. The healer adds, "And you shouldn't be rolling Need on everything either. Only on things your character can actually use." His only response is "Sorry."

We go down into the tomb, start engaging the flying enemies in the first couple of rooms and I'm still getting all the aggro. Next room, you can easily avoid the mob by hugging the wall. Our tank - following up the rear, mind you, instead attacks them so we all have to run back into the room and fight them. I'm STILL getting all the aggro.

Next room has three elites in it. I stealth in, CC the one kneeling at the altar so we can deal with the other two . . . And the tank immediately force leaps my cc.

Now I just type, "Wow." I remain in stealth and go stand in the corner while they fight. Amazingly they don't pull the other two in the room, only because all the aggro went to our healer, who was standing in the doorway. It takes them a good three minutes to kill one elite. When they finish, I say, "Sorry, but I am dropping group. This last fight absolutely relies on a tank who can taunt and knows what he's doing. If the tank lets the Prophet aggro me and our healer like this, we are going to wipe. Repeatedly. I'm really sorry, but good luck with him."

I zone out of the area. The healer whispers me and says, "let's try it anyway, I can off-tank and have a lot of hp." I reply, "sorry, but I am getting nearly every bit of aggro and have no threat dump aside from Blackout, which has a long cooldown and won't matter if I have the DoT he puts out. I wear light armor, I don't have Deflect yet, and if you're healing AND off-tanking AND doing additional DPS this is never going to happen." And I type /leave.

I'm curious as to what happened. I ended up with nothing but a big repair bill and no loot since the tank rolled Need on the one piece that dropped for me. I'm obviously not going to say his name here, but if anyone wants it to avoid being grouped with him in future, send a message to Latkes in game and I will tell you who it was.

(On the upside, after I quit I got a PvP arena pop where my team of me, a scoundrel, a DPS sage and a sentinel demolished a team of a jugg and three sins.)

I have noticed that many Jugg/Guardian tanks tend to have....attitudes. Crap attitudes.

I almost never see this among Sin/Shadow or PTech/Vanguard tanks, though. Also those classes of tank actually seem to know what the f they're doing more often than the glowy *****-surrogate wielders.

What's up with that?

had a really cool lowbie run on Hammer Station the other day.

was waiting in the queue when I see a genchat message looking for a HS group.

so, i join that group. we had a gunslinger, sentinel & gunnery commando (moi).

i load up Support Cell and play healz with a grand total of 0 (Zero) points in the healing tree.

it took us a while to get through, but we didn't have our first wipe until the final boss. after explaining to the sentinel that he needs to move out of the Spray Of Death ASAP as I couldn't heal through that.

it took us a couple of attempts, but we managed it. with either a dedicated healz or a dedicated tank in the group, we would have smashed it.

Unless we're talking level 55 stuff here, I don't have a problem with that. The leveling content in this game is so easy that a tank in DPS gear+shield will get more than enough mitigation from his spec alone to tank anything, so I always just do that so I can clear the solo content faster on my leveling tanks.

Queue up for HM 50 just to knock out the weeklies on my 53 Sorc. Get Lost Island. Eh, whatever, I've talked groups through it before. So zone in and start looking at what I'm working with:

First DPS, 55 with 28K HP. No problems there.

Second DPS, 53 with 18K HP who's never run it. A little undergeared for LI but this could work...

Tank, 50 with 9.8K HP. Inspect and find all greens lvl 40 or below. :(

To be fair the Tank was enthusiastic about it in a "How do we know if we don't even try?" kind of way. Trust me friend I know. I've now started queuing for Ilum only....10 basic comms aren't that critical.

I have noticed that many Jugg/Guardian tanks tend to have....attitudes. Crap attitudes.

I almost never see this among Sin/Shadow or PTech/Vanguard tanks, though. Also those classes of tank actually seem to know what the f they're doing more often than the glowy *****-surrogate wielders.

What's up with that?

It may have to do with the fact that tanking on a juggernaught/guardian early on is an absolute PAIN IN THE *** due to our lack of aoe threat generating abilities apart from smash for nearly 30+ lvls. There single target threat is aweful untill u get backhand. The long cd's on our taunts dont help matters much either (especially the aoe taunt).

I have leveled all three tanks to 55 in tank spec and can say that juggers are the hardest tanks to tank on, though they are much better now then they where at launch. My second toon was a jugger tank (pre 1.4 patch where the 200% threat boost was added) and it was not an enjoyable experience. Once i got sweeping slash life got better, but it was still relatively easy for dps to pull add packs off me especially when the idiots open with aoe abilities like Death From Above/Death Field/Orbital Strike etc.

After following this thread for a while I thought that our server might be somehow special, as I never encountered anything especially weird or problematic .... until lately :D

I was levelling a Scoundrel healer and did a good deal of FPs during levelling, managed to go to 50 without any problems. I got myself the Makeb comm gear and hit the queue for 50HM. Instapop. Well everything went smootly up to this point so I didn't check the others, when I started to notice that our tank was especially hard to heal. I took a closer look, and yep he was in DD stance. I asked politely that he changes stance, but there was no reply. I checked his gear and it was all greens with DD stats, so I pointed out that this is a HM and we cannot get away with a "tank"in DD specc and with poor DD gear ... the DD's chimed in started to also (politely) point out to the tank that he is a liability for the group at which point he just silently left. We finished the FP with a companion tank of one of the DPS (he was lvl53 which helped) without further problems.

I decided to go for one more FP before calling it a day and get False Emperor. Having had the bad experience from the last FP I checked my team, and you can be sure that we had another "tank"without tank stance and with DPS equip. I start writing in the chat, that this is not going to work when the "tank" jumped into the first group. As I was still at the spawn point and typing, there were no heals and the tank died quickly. I ran there and managed to rescue one of the DPS. While I was again typing that this is not going to work, they immediately started to engage the mobs again ... and the tank died again ofc. I typed a quick "WAIT" into the chat, when a vote kick against me was initiated and went through for the reason "Cannot heal"... well "Did not heal" would have been correct as I was trying to set the group straight before we start, but there was no patience or listening. Instead they kicked a adequately geared and skilled healer and stayed with a poor tank ...

Why some people do not even look into the chat and have no patience to wait and make sure everything is set and ready is beyond me. But I guess they had good fun with their tank ..

A few weeks ago I ran the Battle of Ilum. I noticed our tank was dying rather quickly. I did an inspect on him, and sure enough, he wasn't using a shield generator. He didn't even have ANY head piece, or implants, or ear piece.

Another time I did Directive 7 on SM. I was the tank and I noticed I wasn't getting any heals. When I asked our healer what was up, he said he didn't realized he had queued as heals and left. We had a scoundrel in our group, whom I had worked with before on an alt... knew he didn't really follow direction well, and asked him if he could provide heals for a while since it was sm. He refused, and wouldn't even cc enemies. Needless to say, we didn't get very far and I ended up dropping.

A few weeks ago I ran the Battle of Ilum. I noticed our tank was dying rather quickly. I did an inspect on him, and sure enough, he wasn't using a shield generator. He didn't even have ANY head piece, or implants, or ear piece.

Another time I did Directive 7 on SM. I was the tank and I noticed I wasn't getting any heals. When I asked our healer what was up, he said he didn't realized he had queued as heals and left. We had a scoundrel in our group, whom I had worked with before on an alt... knew he didn't really follow direction well, and asked him if he could provide heals for a while since it was sm. He refused, and wouldn't even cc enemies. Needless to say, we didn't get very far and I ended up dropping.

The bug where you can't always see people's off-hand equipment is still alive and well, but no head, implant, or ear? ...Yeah.

Also, to be fair to the scoundrel, scoundrels/operatives get most of their heal abilities from talents, certainly all the good ones. Refusing to CC just makes him a jerk, though.

It may have to do with the fact that tanking on a juggernaught/guardian early on is an absolute PAIN IN THE *** due to our lack of aoe threat generating abilities apart from smash for nearly 30+ lvls. There single target threat is aweful untill u get backhand. The long cd's on our taunts dont help matters much either (especially the aoe taunt).

I have leveled all three tanks to 55 in tank spec and can say that juggers are the hardest tanks to tank on, though they are much better now then they where at launch. My second toon was a jugger tank (pre 1.4 patch where the 200% threat boost was added) and it was not an enjoyable experience. Once i got sweeping slash life got better, but it was still relatively easy for dps to pull add packs off me especially when the idiots open with aoe abilities like Death From Above/Death Field/Orbital Strike etc.

I have heard, indeed, that these are very difficult classes to tank with, so I won't judge, but...That's still nor reason to act like a complete punk once you do get those abilities.

CZ-198 story mode --the one with the big droid (I can never remember which is named which):

Me as one of 3 damagers, and a Jugger tank. Well, the queue had popped with him listed as tank, but he was In DPS stance and gear....Well, OK, it's normal mode, 4 geared DPS (my PyroMerc's gear, at about 50 : 50 ilvl 69 and 72 was actually the lowest by a fair margin) can face-roll this (I've done it with 2 + healer companions easily in the past).

We got through fine, but on every freakin' pull --No word of a lie, every. Frigging. Pull.-- this Jugger just kept typing crap in /party like,

"'Y'all need to augment your gear!"

"What are you all new here?"

"Hurry up, noobs!" (Another **** of a rocket-booter pulling 50+ m ahead of the rest of the group...So sick of those!)

And similar.

Ummmm....mate:

Bosses are dead, we all got our loot and comms, no-one died (although it was close a few times. I have off-heals, and I'm always ready to use them in a pinch, but I can't use them if you're constantly either LoS'ing or out-ranging me to go hero-tank those mobs 60m away!), and our [WEEKLY] CZ-198 quest --well, mine anyway-- is done in under 90 minutes just like usual, soooo....What's the problem again?

Edited by midianlord

If I were the group leader, I would have kicked him out and pulled out my Kaliyo really. I endured and healed some pretty ****** attitude tank but this one just takes the cake.

You dont have to be the group leader to initiate a kick.

I find Tanks to be the most annoying people in this game. I think becasue they know they will not have a long queue time they tend to act like tools. I had one tank threaten to kick me becasue I marked CC Targets.

I think if you played all 3 roles you might disagree (though maybe you do, I don't know).

Personally here's my thought on it, most people don't want to tank for you anyways, since its basically the same thing a DPS does but with added responsibility (you're the leader, you have to keep everything aggro'd to you). So when I see dumb crap like DPS pulling ahead of me, tbh I lose interest... I'm here as a tank to fill a role, why do you have to make my job more difficult when I'd rather be DPSing in the first place to begin with?

So yeah, I understand your point about being able to kill the group without really entering combat... but for the most part, imo that tank did the right thing. If a DPS wants to initiate pulls, leave the instance and let them have fun with it.

I find Tanks to be the most annoying people in this game. I think because they know they will not have a long queue time they tend to act like tools. I had one tank threaten to kick me because I marked CC Targets.

Duran'del Here:

I main a tank and I don't act like I own the world(This may be a combination of low self-esteem and humility). I also see any mistake(even the ones my DPS or healers make) as my fault....

It's weird, but, oh, well.

Also, DPS seem to act(from my experience) that they are a god and just jump around everywhere.

Edited by TheSupaCoopa

I have heard, indeed, that these are very difficult classes to tank with, so I won't judge, but...That's still nor reason to act like a complete punk once you do get those abilities.

CZ-198 story mode --the one with the big droid (I can never remember which is named which):

Me as one of 3 damagers, and a Jugger tank. Well, the queue had popped with him listed as tank, but he was In DPS stance and gear....Well, OK, it's normal mode, 4 geared DPS (my PyroMerc's gear, at about 50 : 50 ilvl 69 and 72 was actually the lowest by a fair margin) can face-roll this (I've done it with 2 + healer companions easily in the past).

We got through fine, but on every freakin' pull --No word of a lie, every. Frigging. Pull.-- this Jugger just kept typing crap in /party like,

"'Y'all need to augment your gear!"

"What are you all new here?"

"Hurry up, noobs!" (Another **** of a rocket-booter pulling 50+ m ahead of the rest of the group...So sick of those!)

And similar.

Ummmm....mate:

Bosses are dead, we all got our loot and comms, no-one died (although it was close a few times. I have off-heals, and I'm always ready to use them in a pinch, but I can't use them if you're constantly either LoS'ing or out-ranging me to go hero-tank those mobs 60m away!), and our [WEEKLY] CZ-198 quest --well, mine anyway-- is done in under 90 minutes just like usual, soooo....What's the problem again?

Yeah this guy was just a dooche. He has, what I like to call, LWS or Little Willy Syndrome. Give a dude with a small Willy a little bit of power, and it goes to his head.

There are horrible, arrogant, and clueless players in every class. It's always funny to see one group saying they only see one role causing issues.

Of course it ain't just one group, every group has the same number of potential trouble makers. The difference is that tank status gives many of these potential trouble makers overconfidence hence why people notice this behaviour from tank group more.

Edited by Pietrastor

So...I think I found a new build: The Trollslinger.

I main a gunslinger, and doing 55HM Athiss flashpoint, I was grouped with a vanguard tank, scoundrel heals and another Gunsligner. The other gunslinger was the only one who was rather poorly geared, with only 25k or so health. At least it was all cunning.

What was weird about this guy, was his rotation. He did NOTHING but spam Charged Burst. Just kept mashing that button for every cooldown, until his energy was empty. Then, he'd recharge using cool head, burn it all down, and then sit there and spam flurry of bolts. That's what he was like for the first half of the flashpoint; later on I noticed he started using other skills...namely, all of them. Like, literally, all of them. Leg shot, flash grenade...defense screen. Yes, even his defensive cooldowns. When he didn't need them. He was literally randomly pressing buttons whenever he wasn't spamming charged burst. I even saw both a shock charge and a wounding shots - which, for those of you who don't play gunslinger, are in completely seperate skill trees. I know there is a hybrid build that involves both of them, but this simply was not that build. No rotation, no energy management, no vital shot or flourish shot. It was random button mashing. He never once used vital shot or a bleed grenade, so his wounding shots he occassionaly used did literally nothing. I play DF gunslinger in flashpoints, so I'd notice if he was using either of them. Nope, no bleeds, at all. Useless wounding shots is useless.

He also used the aforementioned flash grenade, leg shot, and concussion blast on the final boss, which of course does nothing to his immunities...not to mention he would occassionally use his Lucky Shots buff in the middle of combat, more than enough times to not be an accident.

I asked him initially " Hey, why do you do nothing but spam charged burst?" His answer, after being asked repeatedly? "It does more damage."

Huh.

I let out a prompt "...lawl." to which the tank also replied "lawl." The tank and healer, who were guildies with each other, tried a tactic I never saw before in Athiss, which involves pulling the beast waaay far away so the adds don't spawn...that was apparently to make the fight go faster. I don't see how it does, but whatever. When I asked about it, The Trollslinger explained it for me like he knew what was talking about, so that rules out the implication that he's stupid.

So...does that mean he was doing this on purpose? Was he attempting to troll me? I don't understand why he would do that. I didn't give him much of a reaction other than an initial question...I'm under the impression that this guy is dead serious. Honestly, someone try to answer this for me. Is he doing a really sad attempt to troll, or is this some kind of new-flavour build that I've never heard about? :sul_confused:

Edited by Subach

I had the pleasure of playing with a special shadow tank yesterday. He would run up to a group of mobs, stand just outside aggro range and stand there for at least five seconds. Didn't give it much thought on first few pulls; people usually sort their beverages and snacks after loading the FP, but this guy did it constantly. This, ofcourse, annoys the hell out of me. Other dps and I kept jumping to signal we're ready and there was no need to wait. No. It's like he was trying to bore the mobs to death.

Real drama started when I suggested a few shortcuts for a faster run. Stuff like soft CC and paths. His healer guildie responded with "Let him play the way he wants to". :rolleyes: What was really grinding my gears was the fact that the guy was a shadow tank. That being what I main, I got cramps in my stomach before every pull. When we got to the first boss in HS and I noticed I've pulled aggro through guard - a little bit of me died inside. Later in the run he managed to break cc on a marked turret. Twice. Luckily for him, I'm more stubborn and I kept cc'ing until he got the picture.

Edited by slafko

So...I think I found a new build: The Trollslinger.

I main a gunslinger, and doing 55HM Athiss flashpoint, I was grouped with a vanguard tank, scoundrel heals and another Gunsligner. The other gunslinger was the only one who was rather poorly geared, with only 25k or so health. At least it was all cunning.

What was weird about this guy, was his rotation. He did NOTHING but spam Charged Burst. Just kept mashing that button for every cooldown, until his energy was empty. Then, he'd recharge using cool head, burn it all down, and then sit there and spam flurry of bolts. That's what he was like for the first half of the flashpoint; later on I noticed he started using other skills...namely, all of them. Like, literally, all of them. Leg shot, flash grenade...defense screen. Yes, even his defensive cooldowns. When he didn't need them. He was literally randomly pressing buttons whenever he wasn't spamming charged burst. I even saw both a shock charge and a wounding shots - which, for those of you who don't play gunslinger, are in completely seperate skill trees. I know there is a hybrid build that involves both of them, but this simply was not that build. No rotation, no energy management, no vital shot or flourish shot. It was random button mashing. He never once used vital shot or a bleed grenade, so his wounding shots he occassionaly used did literally nothing. I play DF gunslinger in flashpoints, so I'd notice if he was using either of them. Nope, no bleeds, at all. Useless wounding shots is useless.

He also used the aforementioned flash grenade, leg shot, and concussion blast on the final boss, which of course does nothing to his immunities...not to mention he would occassionally use his Lucky Shots buff in the middle of combat, more than enough times to not be an accident.

I asked him initially " Hey, why do you do nothing but spam charged burst?" His answer, after being asked repeatedly? "It does more damage."

Huh.

I let out a prompt "...lawl." to which the tank also replied "lawl." The tank and healer, who were guildies with each other, tried a tactic I never saw before in Athiss, which involves pulling the beast waaay far away so the adds don't spawn...that was apparently to make the fight go faster. I don't see how it does, but whatever. When I asked about it, The Trollslinger explained it for me like he knew what was talking about, so that rules out the implication that he's stupid.

So...does that mean he was doing this on purpose? Was he attempting to troll me? I don't understand why he would do that. I didn't give him much of a reaction other than an initial question...I'm under the impression that this guy is dead serious. Honestly, someone try to answer this for me. Is he doing a really sad attempt to troll, or is this some kind of new-flavour build that I've never heard about? :sul_confused:

No breaking cc-s? No attack ahead of group? No wipes? Did he even .. kill weak to strong? These make him an above average dps even for lvl 55 hm fps.

No breaking cc-s? No attack ahead of group? No wipes? Did he even .. kill weak to strong? These make him an above average dps even for lvl 55 hm fps.

Realize that I've never encountered anything close to the behaviour in this thread yet in a flashpoint, so this is new to me. Maybe it's just my server (Jedi Covenant). Regardless, my point is that he's weird (as is also the point of this thread), not terrible. His behaviour was just baffling.

The tank and healer, who were guildies with each other, tried a tactic I never saw before in Athiss, which involves pulling the beast waaay far away so the adds don't spawn...that was apparently to make the fight go faster. I don't see how it does, but whatever. When I asked about it, The Trollslinger explained it for me like he knew what was talking about, so that rules out the implication that he's stupid.

If you're talking about the beast of Vodal Kressh (big dog thing), a lot of groups want to spend the extra time to clear the trash back to the cave then drag him all the way back so he doesn't spawn additional adds. It is a fairly common strat but entirely unnecessary if your group is halfway good. It definitely does not save time unless the group is so bad it would've wiped otherwise. If I am tanking I will always pull the boss in place. Have even had cases where the dps didn't AoE down the adds and I tanked them all in place (popping every CD I had) until the end.

I don't think the slinger was trolling. I think he was genuinely bad. There are a lot of people who unknowingly do not understand simple mechanics or rotations.