The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

*slides in nervously* Hello! First time posting here but a long time avid fan of the thread. Thanks all for the memorable stories! Not once did I have to excuse myself from a room to go laugh in private because of you guy ;)

But yes, you're not here to hear me praise you. You're here to hear tales of mayhem, chaos and irredeemable stupid! Well!!!!.... I might have a short incident I wish to share. So, because of the server merges coming up I've been infiltrating- I mean making some alts on other servers to get to see who I'll be sharing game with. For most of it I'm a happy soon-to-be-ex-progenitor camper, so I say "you know... I got this toon to 24 already, what's the harm in quing for a quick one?". In group finder I go! Insta-pop for in progress Czerka Core Meltdown with a bunch of 60+ comrades. I tell to myself "Awesome! I haven't been carried through a flashpoint in months!"

Less then a minute in you can hear a lone level 24 madness sorc, a tiny speck in the distance, so young and poorly geared, yell in chat with all their might: "MOVE HIM TO THE GREEN GLOWING GENERATOR! THE GLOWING GENERATOR!!!"

I had a similar experience recently in a Ravagers SM. A couple of people were asking in the guild if somebody could help out a friend guild (it's Rep Side, so I guess that's a thing :p ) who was doing a preorganised run of Ravagers. In the end it was a Tank (Guardian) , DPS (Sage?) and me as a Heal (Sage) from our guild and the rest from theirs (One SOMETHING Tank, two Mando DPS, a Shadow DPS and a Mando heal. We zone in and I have a look at their gear rating. All members of the other guild had a rating of 246+, with my co-healer having one of 248 with pretty good stat allocation. Now, if I were that healer, I would refuse to dual-heal a Story Mode ops... it's just dead BORING - in fact, the only reason I didn't soloheal myself was because my non-legacybindable gear pieces were 230ish (I main a Sorc on Impside). First warning flag.

The moment we meet up in front of Sparky, the second flag pops up: The Tank from my guild notices the Mando DPS all have around 1k accuracy (For those unaware, the accuracy bar is 737). They point it out and tell the DPS to get proper Augments. NOW.

First Sparky fight, Sparky goes onto enrage at ~10% and suddenly bugs out and resets. Now, I know the DPS from our guild, and he's one of the best I know. How it was even possible to hit enrage? During the second round I observe the Mando's and find out: First off, the Mando healer in her pristine 248 gear was only keeping Kolto Shell up and DPS'ing the rest of the time, which explains why I felt like I was healing Hard Mode. Now, to the two DPS. Apparently, somebody told them that Grav Round was evil. And that they shouldn't channel evil. Meaning both of them only used Grav Round when it was procc'ed and therefore an insta-cast and filled the rest with Explosive Round. Imagine the DAMAAAAAAAAAAGE!

So, anyway, I'm weeping in front of my screen watching people with better gear then my main utterly destroy their class, but in the end we manage Sparky. Onto Bulo

Now, at Bulo I realised something: The tank from their guild did not speak German (I play on a German Server, with 99.9% German speaking guilds). Normally I don't have a problem with that, everybody should be allowed to play where they want. However, if you also don't really understand English and the message has to be translated seven times for you, and you need a deep explanation of everything past Sparky, then it's really starting to grate my nerves. And so, we wipe thrice on Bulo because that tank messed up tactics...

This trend continued through the whole Op, and I'm quite proud of myself for living it through when we come to loot distribution. Guess who hogged all the 236 rating tokens?

(Sorry for a bit of a long post)

EDIT: Holly crap this is rambly... Please excuse me I am in serious need of Caffeine.. :cool:

Edited by De-mu-noki

I remember being on fleet after the run and watching in horror that blue chat pop much as it has regularly in the past 1+ hour because THEY WERE STILL AT JOS AND VALK. :jawa_eek:

I still don't know if I am impressed by their stamina, awed by their determination or simply horrified they were at it for so long.

I bet they never repaired their armor ...

• 2 weeks later...

My last GF run for Darth Hexid took me to MM Umbara. All went well until we reached 1 boss. There, tank suggested an unorthodox tactic of staying near the doors and letting the bosses come to us. I have never saw or heard of such tactics during any Umbara run. I was willing to give it a try, but Canny didn't seem to be interested in coming to us, so I engaged him (i am mara, second dps was merc)

It all went pretty good, Canny died, then Sin, being close to death himself, killed the tank. He didn't have much HP left, and I wasn't interested in repeating the fight again, so I tanked him myself. He only had time for one Sweep before he died, I countered it with Undying Rage. We killed him, then tank quit the group. I am not even sure he got his loot. Thankfully one of my guildmates answered the call in guild chat and we finished fp without any problem.

Maybe this tank was not so bad. I have seen this tactic on Umbara Veteran FP (when players did not run away from this FP). The main reason is lags and constant turrets bombardment. The advantage of this tactic is that the probability of being dropped from the train in the battle is close to zero. Therefore, the bosses are divided. Players luring assasin deeply into a corner, avoiding a turrets attack. After her death they can destroy the turrets and kill engineer easely. Someone runs to the koltos time to time, while another player holding engineers agro. I dont know, how it works on the Master Mode, but I think this guy had tried to do something similar. Edited by xRohanx

I did something similar once in vet run. I was on my main merc, and I had 3 other dps with me. The first 2 died during the fight, so me and a sin fell back into the hole to get away from the turrets. While trying to kill the bosses, i lost the sin, but we had gotten one of them down, I forget which.

So there I was by myself...keep going or stuck it. I decided to keep going. It took a lil bit but I managed to kill the other one and was left hiding with the turrets still up. I ask the group what they think I should do. They say I've been doing well so far so take out the turrets. So I walk out, pop my reflect and go to work. I cleared the turrets and there was much rejoicing and I rezzed everyone else.

My last GF run for Darth Hexid took me to MM Umbara. All went well until we reached 1 boss. There, tank suggested an unorthodox tactic of staying near the doors and letting the bosses come to us. I have never saw or heard of such tactics during any Umbara run. I was willing to give it a try, but Canny didn't seem to be interested in coming to us, so I engaged him (i am mara, second dps was merc)

It all went pretty good, Canny died, then Sin, being close to death himself, killed the tank. He didn't have much HP left, and I wasn't interested in repeating the fight again, so I tanked him myself. He only had time for one Sweep before he died, I countered it with Undying Rage. We killed him, then tank quit the group. I am not even sure he got his loot. Thankfully one of my guildmates answered the call in guild chat and we finished fp without any problem.

That's a Vet strat, you pull both behind the door and burn assassin first. Doesn't work on MM tho :D

Last night on Satele Shan, I saw a call needing a tank for the third boss of EV. I thought, "well, I'll give it a shot" and queued and was immediately paired up with the group, mostly a guild run. I zoned in and said hi, and was met with silence.

I realized once I zoned in that I'd forgotten to get the weekly for EV, so I asked in ops chat, "share the weekly plz?".

Silence.

I asked again. And after the pylons. And at least once after the Infernal Council. Silence. No one said a damn thing to me. So while it was partially my fault, they also screwed me out of 10k+ CXP.

And is it just my wonderful luck, but have there been more DPS queued as healers or tanks since the server merge?

And is it just my wonderful luck, but have there been more DPS queued as healers or tanks since the server merge?

The server merge reset everybodies role selections for GF. I only discovered this after getting a pop for Master FP and discovering my DPS Commando was the group 'healer'.

:o

Edited by jojobanutz

On my tank with a healer and a dps from my guild, we queue up and get a level 70 guardian for Athiss master mode. We notice the guardian has only 64k health, no big deal, we know we can 3 man it if need be. First mob, he jumps in, dies quickly. Second mob, jumps in before I can pull, dies instantly. Then he immediately votes to kick me LOL. :eek::D Of course the vote fails. We get to first boss, he dies quickly again. I take a look at his gear after the fight, every piece is totally broken. Healer pulls out repair droid and asks him to repair. He stands in front of the droid for like 30 seconds but doesn't repair. He eventually DCs before we get to the 2nd boss and never returned. Never said a word either. Still trying to understand what happened.:p

Last night on Satele Shan, I saw a call needing a tank for the third boss of EV. I thought, "well, I'll give it a shot" and queued and was immediately paired up with the group, mostly a guild run. I zoned in and said hi, and was met with silence.

I realized once I zoned in that I'd forgotten to get the weekly for EV, so I asked in ops chat, "share the weekly plz?".

Silence.

I asked again. And after the pylons. And at least once after the Infernal Council. Silence. No one said a damn thing to me. So while it was partially my fault, they also screwed me out of 10k+ CXP.

Not saying this is not weird but then again I'm wondering... is the bug where people joining an in-progress ops group though GF don't see the /ops chat still active? Because a while ago whenever we would get someone though group finder we would always switch to /1 or /say just because of that odd mess of a code.

Speaking of, I have another fun one for you all: few months ago I pugged a heal for DF. A friend of mine was tanking and I knew most of the people already in group to be very good players. They're all a fun bunch as well - nice and chatty and all in all it's a perfect atmosphere. Sweet ride, I tell myself.

20 minutes in and the tank is on the verge of a mental breakdown, the wipes on trash are giving me an ulcer and the amount of death on sweet Corruptor dude has me crying. I can hear the "mmmmmmmmmmmm watcha saaaaaay" all around me when people are dying on the fingers right before the final boss. My being has left my body and I am a broken shell of my former self. I welcome death. Then we reach Brontes and let me tell you all I am on my operative healer. He is cursed with something BAD happening during that fight. SOMETHING is ALWAYS wrong in that fight. I take a deep breath because we've been here two hours and...

It was the best Brontes fight I have ever been a part of. Nobody's health ever dropped below 80%, everything was cleansed, adds were taken care of the second they spawned, nobody was left behind of the clock phase, Brontes down in blink. We say our thanks, /roll for loot and wish each other a good night.

I am still in denial though... I mean... there was wiping on the first boss... as well as all the others... and on the trash... repeatedly on the trash... so HOW DID WE MANAGE TO ONE-SHOT BRONTES?!

Not saying this is not weird but then again I'm wondering... is the bug where people joining an in-progress ops group though GF don't see the /ops chat still active? Because a while ago whenever we would get someone though group finder we would always switch to /1 or /say just because of that odd mess of a code.

Yes, that bug is still a thing. Our guild gets it on lockouts all the time.

Speaking of, I have another fun one for you all: few months ago I pugged a heal for DF. A friend of mine was tanking and I knew most of the people already in group to be very good players. They're all a fun bunch as well - nice and chatty and all in all it's a perfect atmosphere. Sweet ride, I tell myself.

20 minutes in and the tank is on the verge of a mental breakdown, the wipes on trash are giving me an ulcer and the amount of death on sweet Corruptor dude has me crying. I can hear the "mmmmmmmmmmmm watcha saaaaaay" all around me when people are dying on the fingers right before the final boss. My being has left my body and I am a broken shell of my former self. I welcome death. Then we reach Brontes and let me tell you all I am on my operative healer. He is cursed with something BAD happening during that fight. SOMETHING is ALWAYS wrong in that fight. I take a deep breath because we've been here two hours and...

It was the best Brontes fight I have ever been a part of. Nobody's health ever dropped below 80%, everything was cleansed, adds were taken care of the second they spawned, nobody was left behind of the clock phase, Brontes down in blink. We say our thanks, /roll for loot and wish each other a good night.

I am still in denial though... I mean... there was wiping on the first boss... as well as all the others... and on the trash... repeatedly on the trash... so HOW DID WE MANAGE TO ONE-SHOT BRONTES?!

First, congrats on one shotting Brontes.

Second, when you get that glitch, can you not whisper people at all? I would have appreciated a whisper saying "hey we can't share this due to a bug".

First, congrats on one shotting Brontes.

Second, when you get that glitch, can you not whisper people at all? I would have appreciated a whisper saying "hey we can't share this due to a bug".

What remains of my sanity thanks you.

And definitely not saying it wasn't weird, it was definitely weird - but in my experience the bug works like this: nether the one who enters the in-progress ops or the ones already in the ops group will see what the other is writing. It basically mutes chat both ways. So if you saw nothing during the whole run coming from the /ops chat they never saw your request ether. So to them you were also weird for not saying a word during the whole ops, just as they were weird for you for not saying a word.

I have no idea how this is possible it's just... a thing... a weird inconvenience of a thing that... exists for some reason.

What remains of my sanity thanks you.

And definitely not saying it wasn't weird, it was definitely weird - but in my experience the bug works like this: nether the one who enters the in-progress ops or the ones already in the ops group will see what the other is writing. It basically mutes chat both ways. So if you saw nothing during the whole run coming from the /ops chat they never saw your request ether. So to them you were also weird for not saying a word during the whole ops, just as they were weird for you for not saying a word.

I have no idea how this is possible it's just... a thing... a weird inconvenience of a thing that... exists for some reason.

A bug? In SWTOR? It's more likely than you think! :D

I guess that explains why the group for karaggas palace today where i jumped in in progress were so cold and quiet. I thought they were trolling me with not answering questions about who i was supposed to tank on jarg and sorno but i guess they could not hear me. So i left as didnt want to play with people who ignored me all the time.

Recently got a new computer, everything seemed to be working nicely. Didn't figure out every little thing, but wanted to play swtor. Joined a pug EV gf on my marauder. Mostly a guild, some new people, fun but not without some hilarious newbie moves. I joined their discord, they were happy I put up good dps + knew the fights. Never can tell what you're going to get with a carnage pug.

At Soa, after two floor drops, they had lost 3 dps and 1 healer; bound to be exciting after that. I thought about my rotation, getting ready for a sprint. By mistake I tapped a side button on my new mouse while I was running down the platforms. It didn't appear to do anything, so never mind.

The group stopped in mid-air to heal, wait for the last platforms to fall into place... and I kept running. I hit every button on the keyboard. I resorted to verbal suggestions: "Stop! Stop!" Right through the heal puddle, off the platform, smoosh.

After a brief silence in discord, I heard the raid leader say, "Well, that was just pure dumb-as*-ery."

Yes it was.

Dear sentinel who I just had the displeasure to run EV with,

I did not mind the fact that you pulled unnecessary thrash when we were heading to the pylons, even if I was the only one who bothered to stop when you did so and heal us so you were able to kill them instead of dying yourself. It happens, I screw up jumps sometimes too.

I also did not mind the fact that you accidentally jumped at MY target when doing the Council, getting the debuff that nerfs your damage to 0 for a time. Your tab targeted the wrong mob, okay, no problem. I also did not mind when you didn't realize that debuff had a timer, which expired, and just stood there until your opponent enraged. It's gf, **** happens, just try it again and hope it goes better next time.

However, I did mind that when the other healer, apparently your buddy, went and got himself killed during the jumping in Soa and I was too busy trying to soloheal the jumping people to notice where your friend was lying dead and did not battle-ress them, you decided to honor me and only me, not the dps who were able to battle-ress, with comments like "I put a marker in there!" and a /slap at the end of the battle. Note that I did successfully soloheal the group, and no one else died. But this did not matter to you, because I did not notice where the other healer was lying dead after getting themselves killed.

Sincerely,

Someone who will not be healing you again.

Yeah, I had an absolutely terrible day, and was hoping some ops would help me get my mind off of it. Turns out, it just ended up adding someone to my ignore list.

Edited by Seireeni

However, I did mind that when the other healer, apparently your buddy, went and got himself killed during the jumping in Soa and I was too busy trying to soloheal the jumping people to notice where your friend was lying dead and did not battle-ress them, you decided to honor me and only me, not the dps who were able to battle-ress, with comments like "I put a marker in there!" and a /slap at the end of the battle. Note that I did successfully soloheal the group, and no one else died. But this did not matter to you, because I did not notice where the other healer was lying dead after getting themselves killed.

Sincerely,

Someone who will not be healing you again.

Yeah, I had an absolutely terrible day, and was hoping some ops would help me get my mind off of it. Turns out, it just ended up adding someone to my ignore list.

Damn, unfortunately it can happen. Was there no one in the ops group who could have (stealth) resurrected him?

Damn, unfortunately it can happen. Was there no one in the ops group who could have (stealth) resurrected him?

We had at least a commando dps (who should have battle ress, no?) and I think our fake tank was a shadow, so yeah, there was. But it was apparently my job and my job only.

Conversation at the end of veteran Battle of Ilum:

Me: "Thanks for the run everyone!"

Group member 2: "thanks"

Group member 3: "skip"

Group member 4: "yep thanks guys"

Group member 3: "you can do this is single player if you need to *** over cutscenes"

...need I say more? I guess some people are too busy to say "goodbye" at the end of the fp but have plenty of time writing long sentences to be mean to people who don't punch that space fast enough.

Conversation at the end of veteran Battle of Ilum:

Me: "Thanks for the run everyone!"

Group member 2: "thanks"

Group member 3: "skip"

Group member 4: "yep thanks guys"

Group member 3: "you can do this is single player if you need to *** over cutscenes"

...need I say more? I guess some people are too busy to say "goodbye" at the end of the fp but have plenty of time writing long sentences to be mean to people who don't punch that space fast enough.

I have a better one :) Once I was doing my daily vet for conquest \ cxp. Got grouped with a terrible group - not a single reply to my 'hello', nobody following shortcuts or making fights easier by proper positioning, breaking my cc, healer not healing and so on. Still, we finished the fp and farewell conversation looks like this:

Me: 'Thanks, folks'

One other player: 'Youre welcome'.

The only thing any of them said during this whole run :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was fully expecting this one to be on fire considering recent events, but alas, you got me and my poorly worded tale of annoyance - mostly with myself and the gods of random than anyone else.

Still leveling some young toons in between the daily routines of a end-level player life, so low and behold I am on my level 20-something at the time assassin and in pops Umbara because of course I don't un-tick the ones inappropriate for my level. I hate myself like that. Don't even finish loading in and our group already consists of 3 people now. I can't recall if we get a healer or if someone pulls out a healer companion but we somehow finish it... though WHY out of the 2 other level 70's we had, one a jugg... was the boss drawned to the tiny 20-assassin... :jawa_frown:

I switch toons to rep side to a level 15 gunslinger and in pops Umbara. I am sweating and swearing and I even say in chat that I have no idea what the game wants from me. I mean, I have literally 2 abilities at this point. I am not considerate enough to leave though... I probably should have but I ask if anyone has a problem with me being here. As the last time one is already at this point (clever one...) and so there is me, a truly awesome 60-something vanguard (shoutout to you awesome person) and a... rather peculiar level 70 sage that said not a word the whole flashpoint... and seems determined to keep holding on to their healing companion (truth be told I was the first one to ask if anyone had a high-influcne healing companion) and.... well... my god the vanguard and I were trying so hard. The sake kept straying away from the group, apparently feeling invincible in there. I am not even sure they were reading the chat. It was... so strange. Somehow we made it to the last boss despite so much death because the sage kept dc-ing so of course we lost our healer and after waiting for the sage to come back from their prelongued dc on the last boss the vanguard and I pull a vote kick, pull our our comps and finish the flashpoint and I need a drink.

In comes the next day I que again on my assassin and up pops Umbara (I am detecting a horrifying pattern here!) One of them admits this is their first time and I try to explain all the tactics and keep the bosses on me and in position and run to the healing stations when they are there but by god I am so tired or all this multitasking as a low level in these flashpoints... This time though maybe my exhaustion is showing but try as we might this time we just cannot kill the boss. We always get overwhelmed by adds at the last stage (2%... 2 kriffing % :jawa_mad: ) I do what I should the first time and tell them all sorry, this is the best that I could do and I drop group, wish them luck (and I really did mean that, they were really trying just lacking experience) and went to bed.

Next day, I am back on my assassin... I que... HALLELUJAH, IT'S HAMMER STATION :jawa_tongue:

I havent had time to read thru all 501 pages so forgive me if someone has said the same thing.

The weird I have encountered are more of the folks that say nothing and race thru the entire FP taking no consideration for the other team mates who may want to get the bonus.

They just race thru to the final boss as fast as they can.

Why cant they do master flashpoints or something so players like me (who arent speed demons) can enioy the game.

You say “hi” or try to be friendly and they are bizarre sociopaths.

Its crazy how others will drop out because others on the team arent familiar with a FP.

The weird I have encountered are more of the folks that say nothing and race thru the entire FP taking no consideration for the other team mates who may want to get the bonus.

They just race thru to the final boss as fast as they can.

From my experience socializing usually starts once something goes wrong :) Yesterday we had a really fun run. Joined GF for daily reward and got Hammer. OK, Hammer, it'll be fast and sweet. After we killed the first wave of droids one guy said he needs to go and will be back soon. We stood there for a while, then started killing mobs to kill some time, we reached the first boss... we were fooling around, dancing around the boss, presenting our outfits and talking random stuff. The missing guy still wasn't back so we downed the boss and slowly moved forward, still joking around. Our missing peer joined us back right before we reached the second boss; we finished the flashpoint, said our goodbyes and left. It was probably the slowest and at the same time the most fun HS run I remember.

So, as long as everything goes right Vet FPs are usually run to the end to get the reward. The fun begins once something goes wrong :)

Did an HM EV run, the tank decided to troll us at SOA.

Usually you lure Soa to the blue circles on the ground at the final phase so DPS can burn him. He did everything except kite him towards the circle. When we tried to take agro from the boss he taunted back immediately. As long as we where in combat there wasn't much that we can do except to explain the tactics (which he reminded us that he knew). He decided to 'play' with SOA a while..

Fortunately we where able to pull the tank to the circle so we could burn Soa, but still it is a bit of a nasty move on his part.