The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Im the weird 1 here. HM hammer station im tanking on my jugg. Theres an op healer, sorc dps and mara dps.

At that pull inside the building, the tough 1 with the 2 elites and all the trimmings I do what I always do. Mark the elite on the left and type cc, then leap in at the other elite and run around grabbing aggro. I glance at the group bars and see the healers hp is dropping.

Eh? :rak_02: I don't think you're the weird one here at all... my preferred tactic for that on my healers (Sage / Op) is not dissimilar. Mark that left hand elite, then hug the wall on the right so I'm not in line of sight (well, line of blaster fire) of the droids by the doorway. When the tank jumps in, CC the droid (force lift / stun droid) whilst the tank is grabbing aggro then poke my head round the corner and start healing like crazy...

I much prefer that pull when that elite on the left is CCed. Makes the healer's job 10x easier IMHO.. :cool:

When i Jugg tank this group, is always like that - push the left elite to the other - leap to him - saber reflect - AoE taunt and then every AoE ability i have( you know them) and maybe some DCD. Every time i run this fp, i use that rotation and nobody takes damage(except for some sorc which open with Chain lightning.

I've been following this thread for a few months now, but up until this week nothing weird enough has happened to me to make it in here.

First weird run was Lost Island HM. I get a instant pop on my 21k Sorc healer. I zone in, and see that the group is already partially through the FP. I run to them, and see that the group is a 40k Jugg tank, a 17k Merc DPS, and a 15k Sniper. I catch up and everything starts out fine. Then we get to LR-5. The tank starts explaining the tactics and off we go. Everything is going, fine, the tank is holding agro, and then energy coils start popping off. The tank explained what to do so I expect everything to be fine. Instead, the Sniper refuses to move out of the energy coil, and starts dying fast. The Merc runs out, but goes on top of the lava vent right as its going out. This repeats several times, with the sniper and the merc going down despite my best efforts. At this point, I am barely healing the tank as my force is almost all gone. We eventually wipe, and the tank stresses again not to stand on the gate as they erupt, and to stay out of the energy coils. Of course, the DPS don't listen and we wipe. And then we wipe again. Our fourth run starts much the same, except the Merc is actually staying out of the lava. The sniper goes down, and then eventually the Merc. I eventually go down, and its the tank by them self. They hold out for about 25 seconds and bring the boss down. The tank revives me, and I revive the entire group.

All the boss fights follow this general format. On Sav-Rak, despite the tank's warnings, the DPS are almost constantly knocked of the platform, leading to 3 wipes. On Sample 11, the DPS dont move the first two time and die. The next two times, they keep moving but we hit the enrage. Finally, on our 5th try, we beat sample 11. At this point both the tank and I are highly worried about the Lorrik fight. Surprise, surprise, everything goes fine until the increasing damage phase. On the first take of this, the DPS run everywhere despite being told to stay still. We wipe. The next two times, the DPS isn't high enough and eventually Lorrik's DPS is too high. Finally, on take 4 of this, both the tank and I announce that if we don't make it this time we are leaving. We start up again, and barely making it, with the tank being the last one standing and, by them self, dealing about 30k damage to finish Lorrik. We say our goodbyes, the tank and I advise the DPS to buy better barrels of the GTN, and then I zone out.

The next day, I zone in to Boarding Party HM. Its me on my now 26k Sorc, a 28k Mara, a 24k Merc DPS, and an 18k Jugg tank. Everyone says hello except for the tank, and we get started. Everything's going pretty fine, until I notice that I am healing the marauder DPS more the tank. The tank is guarding me, but before I tell him to change it, I inspect his gear. It is all over the place. He has an aim helm, a cunning implant, a cunning chest, willpower boots and willpower bracers. I whisper the tank asking him if he knows what his primary stat is, and get no response. At this point I decide it isn't worth it and keep going. We have no problems, with the marauder being a very good tank- and a very nice guy. We finish, I collect my rewards, and zone out.

The funny thing is, I did KDY on both of these days and both of the groups I had were perfectly normal. Oh well.

Edited by Slorgark

Some strange goings on in lvl 50 hm recently:

I jump on my dusty old merc healer and run afew heroics/dailies to re-learn my ability layout. Once I got it down I queue up for some fp's. I get a pop for false emperor HM.

My lvl 51 merc healer has 17k hp, the lvl 52 op dps has 22k and the lvl 53 sin dps has 23k. The tank is a level 52 PT. I look at their hp, then double take, then check it a third time, then decide there must be some glitch on the health bars so I inspect their gear......there is no glitch, this level 52 PT tank really does have...9427 hp.

I speak up in chat stating that I may have a hard time with the healing, nobody else says anything. The PT tank guards me then pulls the first fight, an elite droid. The PT tries to tank from range and very quickly loses aggro to the dps. The next pull is a difficult 1, if I have it right its 2 elites, 2 strongs and 3 or 4 standards. The PT leaps in, 1 of the elite droids does a knockback on them and I spam heal like a lunatic. both of the siths starts a force choke channel on the tank, I interrupt 1 but the dps don't interrupt the other and kills the PT in half a channel.

After finishing the fight and the tank comes back I point out I am not going to be able to keep this tank alive. The sin then says "9.4k is putting abit too much stress on the healer". A conversation ensues between myself and the 2 dps if we reckon its best to have the tank stand at the back of the room, avoid the fights and hopefully they aren't going to die. While we are discussing this the tank quits.

We quickly get a replacement and I can see this is now going to be extremely boring as this mission is about to get easy. A 39k jugg tank in a lvl 50 fp. How wrong I was. The tank can't tank at all, I get tonnes of aggro and the sin is working to peel off me (the op fell off an edge a while back and is filling chat asking us to stop combat so they can use a lift, all such requests go unnoticed by our tank). This results in me having to heal myself and the sin dps while a 39k tank in a lvl 50 hm struggles with aggro.

We get the mission done, say our goodbyes and that tank ends up on my ignore (if they can't hold off a lvl 51 healer and lvl 53 sin with their gear level I really don't want to meet them in 55 HM or ops).

Edited by BobFredJohn

When i Jugg tank this group, is always like that - push the left elite to the other - leap to him - saber reflect - AoE taunt and then every AoE ability i have( you know them) and maybe some DCD. Every time i run this fp, i use that rotation and nobody takes damage(except for some sorc which open with Chain lightning.

For my guardian/jugg tanks it's a straight up leap in, AoE taunt for the 6s lock on aggro then pop reflect. Straight to the 2 normals for sweep/smash followed by guardian slash/crushing blow which usually finishes those 2 off. Hilt strike the elite to my right, turn and stasis the elite to my left/behind me. Bladestorm/scream on one of the 2 strongs, master strike the other strong. By that point the pull's all over bar mopping up the 2 elites and if any dps has pulled either elite off me by this point, they had gold fever and deserve a repair bill.

lol at people's ridiculous gear expectations. Those people will have a rude awakening when 3.0 hits and they'll have to run their FPs at or below the required gear level.

Oh yeah. The new FPs (and ops for those who PUG them) are going to be a riot of bad.

So, so, so many people think their **** don't stink because they have been overgeared for so long. It'll be a riot of badness come ... 3 Dec ... 4 Dec at the latest.

Reserve your seats in this thread!

Oh yeah. The new FPs (and ops for those who PUG them) are going to be a riot of bad.

So, so, so many people think their **** don't stink because they have been overgeared for so long. It'll be a riot of badness come ... 3 Dec ... 4 Dec at the latest.

Reserve your seats in this thread!

Add to that, the large number of people who have been carried through 16 man runs of current story mode ops without ever learning the fights, relying on gear or just bolster to try and burn the boss fast and heal through any mechanics. These players will be shocked to discover that there are bosses that aren't just glorified practice dummies, and mechanics you can't heal through. I ran DF SM through group finder yesterday and I was the only one attacking the corruptors and other adds on Draxus, while the raid leader continually shouted "Burn the boss!". So glad I wasn't on my heals for that one, as the subsequent wipe was of course blamed on bad healers. Low gear, overconfidence and NOBODY knowing what they are doing is going to make pug runs of the new ops a nightmare. Totally joining some pug runs of these on an alt for laughs.

Just in case some entity/Entity with a perverse sense of humour thought it would be amusing to remind me that this game is full of weak-suck little punks, well...

I finally got DP on my first Sniper in hopes of finishing the Oricon storyline on him, and we got through all the bosses up to the Council. Wiped the first time --half the party insta-gibbed, I'm still not quite sure what happened there (I don't know this fight very well beyond kill-order and to get under Calphayus' shield to hit him whilst someone kites Raptus around:)).

So second go...and a tank gets urp-sploded, again, like alpha'ed down in seconds.

And then, in Ops-chat, I see:

"[Weak-suck little kid's name] has left the ops-group."

In the middle of a boss-fight, this loser does this. No disconnect, no client-crash, he actively quit group, as far as I can see.

Seriously, who does this?

And the Raptus-kiter seemed to take great delight in kiting Raptus through the raid with his spinny-death thingy on our second attempt, naturally that got real messy real quickly, after which the raid fell apart.

Bloody Hell:

Now I'm locked out 4/5, still no story completed, and not a single piece of loot to show for it.

That's what MMOs going mainstream gets you, exacerbated by free-to-play:

You wanna appeal to a lowest common denominator, then that is exactly what you will get.

Enjoy!

--half the party insta-gibbed, I'm still not quite sure what happened there (I don't know this fight very well beyond kill-order and to get under Calphayus' shield to hit him whilst someone kites Raptus around:)).

Typically, that happens when Ratpus goes loose because the kiter died, fell down or lost aggro somehow.

Anyway, you've got a 4/5 lockout you've got a decent chance to get a group for just the last boss. People looking for very quick comms or a quick completion of the one-time quest should flock to this.

Typically, that happens when Ratpus goes loose because the kiter died, fell down or lost aggro somehow.

Anyway, you've got a 4/5 lockout you've got a decent chance to get a group for just the last boss. People looking for very quick comms or a quick completion of the one-time quest should flock to this.

Cool, I learned something new :)

I just hope my next group is a little more stubborn than the last one.

For my guardian/jugg tanks it's a straight up leap in, AoE taunt for the 6s lock on aggro then pop reflect.

As far as a know, taunt gives you additional 10% threat to the one you have already build. That's why i always use reflect and taunt when the 5 sec effect ends.

Talking of doing just the last boss of DP.

Somebody speaks up in guild saying they have been left stranded 4/5 on DP and want a group to kill last boss. Theres 4 from the guild, myself and another join and the other 10 are pugs. It comes out at 2 tanks, 3 heals and 11 dps but we decide a dps can kite raptus.

Once the group is together, before putting us into gf the leader asks "does everybody know the fight?". Afew people say yes, nobody says no and we zone in. While running there the leader again checks that we know it, most people don't answer.

I feel quite confident 16m sm'ing this as I have recently started tanking the HM, I reckon this will be a walk in the park. We get to boss chamber and I look at some people (I don't bother inspecting) and see that 1 of our tanks is a jugg and 6 of our 11 dps (including me) are snipers. Now thats 1 hell of an armour debuff.

The leader asks if people know the fight, afew don't answer and the op leader flat out refuses to /rc or pull before everybody has answered. Eventually everybody says yes. The leader tells us in phase 3 to just burn calph and get to 4 quick (never done it this way before but should be interesting) and says as its sm we will just burn 1 at a time, Bestia -> Calph -> Raptus -> Tyrans. The guild leader asks for someone to kite Raptus, a merc dps says he will do it. We /rc, the tank pulls and it begins.

I open up on Bestia and notice he gets 2 armour debuffs, now 1 of our tanks is a jugg, and im a sniper so I know 1 is mine. The other 5 sniper dps? I assume armour debuff is off their quickbar. Once the rest of the council is active I notice dps facing in all directions shooting everything. I assumed we were killing 1 at a time but as it seems we now are burning equal I start typing out "bestia <hp %>" but nobody does the same for the other bosses. The op leader tells everyone to just burn at the same rate when suddenly chat is filled with the healer shouting for a taunt. I spin the camera and our merc dps has failed and Raptus is chasing a healer. A sin dps takes it up, taunts and kites.

In the end everything dies, only 1 of us goes down and we loot up and finish (I get no loot). The op leader tells people they should be listening to them for which method we are using.

Now this group is 6 from the guild I am with and 10 pugs. At the end 8 pugs admit to being new but were afraid they would be kicked, the merc dps admits that he used chaff fire when chased by Raptus as it was interrupting his dps and tanks should have aggro (I take this as a 9th admission to not knowing the fight).

A complete shambles with only 1 death, shows just how sleep-inducingly easy SM has become.

Edited by BobFredJohn

I feel quite confident 16m sm'ing this as I have recently started tanking the HM, I reckon this will be a walk in the park. We get to boss chamber and I look at some people (I don't bother inspecting) and see that 1 of our tanks is a jugg and 6 of our 11 dps (including me) are snipers. Now thats 1 hell of an armour debuff.

I open up on Bestia and notice he gets 2 armour debuffs, now 1 of our tanks is a jugg, and im a sniper so I know 1 is mine. The other 5 sniper dps? I assume armour debuff is off their quickbar.

To be fair, armor debuffs dont stack, and using it tends to reduce DPS when you dont need it (there are better options, like rifle shot), so those snipers probably saw the jugg tank and said "yeah... ill just not use shatter shot"

As far as a know, taunt gives you additional 10% threat to the one you have already build. That's why i always use reflect and taunt when the 5 sec effect ends.

That's my approach in groups I know and trust, but with PUGS I want that 6s lock to ensure reflect runs its full course with every mob targetting me. If I just use reflect, odds are the gold fever dps will pull an elite off me before reflect finishes. The routine I use on that pull effectively means I'm hitting the 2 elites with hilt strike/stasis just as reflect wears off, meaning I've used a high threat stun on one and an incapacitating DoT on the other (with stasis mastery).

I don't trust pugs not to frontload a ton of threat and waste the effect of saber reflect.

[...]

Now this group is 6 from the guild I am with and 10 pugs. At the end 8 pugs admit to being new but were afraid they would be kicked, the merc dps admits that he used chaff fire when chased by Raptus as it was interrupting his dps and tanks should have aggro (I take this as a 9th admission to not knowing the fight).

A complete shambles with only 1 death, shows just how sleep-inducingly easy SM has become.

Last DP SM I ran on my Lightning Sorc nobody dared kite Raptus, even though I asked in Ops who would have done it. :rolleyes:

Seeing that Raptus was basically ignored by the others, I did it myself. Shock/Lightning Storm on another boss to get the Chain Lightning Proc/Chain Lightning instant, then run, rinse and repeat, refreshing Affliction. That was my rotation for hte fight. :o

The funny thing is, that a PT DPS complained that I should have remained still and DPS, that I was hindering the group... I showed him why I kited, though, seeing at how his contribution was negligible anyway - he kept attacking Calphayus from outside the shield, as if he was ranged, and spamming his basic attack... :eek:

Let's just say Raptus unleashed his conal pushback while said PT was into it and that he was thrown down the hole... :p

He remained silent after that, though, and in hte end we downed hte boss. I hope that made him think that since I purposedly decreased my DPS to kite a boss, perhaps there was a good reason behind... :D

Had a TFB 16SM PUG yesterday night on my heal sorc. Bit strange, actually, as I spent 2 hours looking for DP (the GF op) without success, then got into a TFB run formed by three healers from the same guild -- though two of them eventually switched to tank / DPS toons. I snatch the last heal spot.

First indication this is going to be difficult? None of the DPS (excepting one min-maxed 41k sniper who really knew their stuff) has over 30k HP, with most meandering around 25k. Now, this is only TFB SM, so that's perfectly alright from a DPS perspective: the implication, however, that none of them had done this before, however, was worrying. Particularly when the ops leader (40k op healer) asked if everyone knew the op and only two people said yes, the rest staying silent.

We zone into Asation. While we wait at the entrance, a marauder pulls. Me, being the only healer yet arrived, somehow manage to keep both him and myself up until help arrives, though he makes no attempt at peeling off me. The marauder claims massive lag spikes, and indeed seems to lag so hard they don't participate at all until the second boss. Doesn't seem to see what's wrong with joining an ops run with that kind of lag, either.

At this point, two people are still on the Fleet. One is on their way, the other (whom I shall refer to later) needs detailed "take the elevator, go left, then left again" explanations to find their way to Asation.

Everyone arrives. Another marauder pulls the trash mob at the entrance, I sigh and massage my temples before beginning to heal like a madman. I notice that one sin DPS (let's call him Santasin) is taking regular breaks from the fighting to lead a conversation with himself and, occasionally, one other DPS, in chat. Yes, even during boss fights. Yes, it's the guy who didn't know how to get to Asation.

During the courtyard fight, someone pulls adds all over the place and I seem to be the only person cleansing the stacking dot. At one point it reached 11 stacks on the main tank before I got a chance to cleanse it.

While tactics for the Withering Horror are explained and he makes an anal rape joke about the Jealous Male, clearly never having heard of the add before, I check his achievements. He does have a full 16m clear. Well, that's something.

Horror is a bit of a mess. The tanks and healers are doing their job, though I appear to be the only one cleansing again. DPS, though, stand willy-nilly in the pools when they appear and most don't switch to the Jealous Male. Even after it's pointed out in ops announcements, there's one or two DPS (including Santasin, who evidently doesn't have time to switch in between derping around in chat) remaining on the boss. Nonetheless, we down it.

Hyperspace vortexes. Again, almost no one attacks them properly, though thankfully they switch when it's pointed out in the ops announcement. Santasin is still filling chat with his inane banter during fights. Eventually, I snap and tell him that if I see him write a single thing in chat during Dread Guards, I'll stop healing him (and I do). Have I mentioned he's from my former guild, which has a (I'd say) well-deserved reputation for noobs and jerks?

During Dread Guard, two people die to Doom (including the expert, well-geared op healer) because the DPS stand in the green pools despite tactics having been explained before. Both are rezzed quickly, though, and we proceed.

Between Dread Guards and Operator, Santasin begins spamming chat asking about money boss. The group leader emphatically says no, which I agree with. Santasin seems to think everything is going fine -- "we haven't wiped once" and "we've been killing everything so far". I ask whether he's been in the same group as me, which gets a few lols. We don't do the money boss. People die on the cores, because most DPS keep hammering the adds it spawns instead of the cores, despite it being pointed out.

Operator goes off without too much trouble, after spending nearly five minutes sorting out colours (since no one was waiting for explanations, five or six people had taken the wrong colour despite the group leaders having been marked in the usual manner). Still, we would have had to repeat Yellow and Orange if not for my and at least one co-healer's off-DPSing on the cores.

We get our weekly comms done. Santasin asks for moneyboss once more. A DPS pulls the next trash pull before everyone is there. No one bothers attacking the Hypergate Vortex, or peeling adds of the healers -- maintank has already given up and stays out of combat rather than deal with this. We wipe. At this point, I put Santasin and the lagging mara on ignore, leave the group, and whisper an apology to the group leader. She (female toon) is very understanding and says she's also left the group. I add her, her guildmates, the sniper and the operative healer as friends.

I recently learned an odd thing, too.

I recently had to explain a fresh player what "Need" and what "Greed" are. It was during or after Esseles.

One point I had never recognized is - the dice !

Actually, the "Need" symbol shows dice !

THEREFORE he was constantly thinking that he did it right when he clicked on the "rolling the dice

[for an item]" symbol !

He thought that this was fair to let everyone roll dice for that item !

Nowhere within the game there is actually explained that this "rolling the dice" symbol actually means "Need" !

This is a point I had never thought of before - because I'm already too deep within "the system".

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

It comes out at 2 tanks, 3 heals and 11 dps but we decide a dps can kite raptus.

Only unusual thing here is rolling with 3 healers (it's easy to do as such, but often people want 4 healers). If you think that you need an extra tank on Raptus, you couldn't be more wrong. :p It's the job of a dps to kite him.

The leader tells us in phase 3 to just burn calph and get to 4 quick (never done it this way before but should be interesting)

This, however, isn't what happened in your fight. If you take Calphayus under 30% in the third phase before fourth phase triggers through other bosses, he will cast Dark Empowerment and wipe the party. :)

I recently learned an odd thing, too.

I recently had to explain a fresh player what "Need" and what "Greed" are. It was during or after Esseles.

One point I had never recognized is - the dice !

Actually, the "Need" symbol shows dice !

THEREFORE he was constantly thinking that he did it right when he clicked on the "rolling the dice

[for an item]" symbol !

He thought that this was fair to let everyone roll dice for that item !

Nowhere within the game there is actually explained that this "rolling the dice" symbol actually means "Need" !

This is a point I had never thought of before - because I'm already too deep within "the system".

The sign for "Greed" is a credit sign, that should tell people everything, and if you get your cursor to the signs it tells you what they mean.

Edited by Darkelefantos

The sign for "Greed" is a credit sign, that should tell people everything, and if you get your cursor to the signs it tells you what they mean.

He was new to SWTOR, he possibly didn't even recognize / realize that this was a Credit sign.

If I was starting SWTOR without having the SW lore ion the back of my head, I wouldn't even know that "Credits" had a sign of their own at all.

Plus, we were playing SWTOR in German language.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

He was new to SWTOR, he possibly didn't even recognize / realize that this was a Credit sign.

If I was starting SWTOR without having the SW lore ion the back of my head, I wouldn't even know that "Credits" had a sign of their own at all.

Plus, we were playing SWTOR in German language.

So does it not say "Bedarf" and "Gier" if you hover your cursor over the signs in the German client? Because IMO, those terms are self-explanatory.

So does it not say "Bedarf" and "Gier" if you hover your cursor over the signs in the German client? Because IMO, those terms are self-explanatory.

Are those the actual terms the German localisation uses? Because if they are, and they're indicative of the general quality of the translation, it sound terribly stilted.

Are those the actual terms the German localisation uses? Because if they are, and they're indicative of the general quality of the translation, it sound terribly stilted.

Yes they are.

The new operation (Temple of Sacrifice) will be "Tempel des Opfers" in german, which WILL be understood as "Temple of the Victim".

Yeah.