Lets face it - The PvP Devs are Useless

Purple-Punch

I'm not going to advocate being a complete jerk, but you're right, it doesn't matter HOW it's asked, they don't reply any better, no matter what "tone" is used. If they had some history of replying to nicely asked questions, sure...but they have a track record of not replying AT ALL!

For people to insinuate that the way a question is asked has anything to do with how many Dev replies it gets, is simply disingenuous.

This, pretty much.

The guy you do hear from, is actually a go between. Between us and the developers. He doesn't answer because the poor bastard just doesn't have an answer to give. Not because his feelings are hurt or there are big meanies on the forum.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any MMO playerbase dwindles by attrition. If you don't attract new players then it will die. Making PvP more accessible to everyone is exactly what should be done, and it's what bolster does already. It's just an implementation detail that bolster isn't working exactly as an intended - PvP gear should still be better that PvE gear but it shouldn't be such a huge gap as between aug'ed EWH vs. Recruit.

You're missing the point I've been making for weeks though.

There was a FAR EASIER way to make PvP more accessible. And they IGNORED it for this convoluted, bug-ridden brand new implementation.

Recruit gear was rough in 1.7. I get that. It doesn't mean you throw out the baby with the bath water. All they had to do was upgrade the existing Recruit gear to be what they envisioned bolster would do, assuming one had, let's say a full set of 166 gear. Add 1400-1500 expertise to the set.

DONE.

it's so simple, only BEAware could screw it up.

This, pretty much.

The guy you do hear from, is actually a go between. Between us and the developers. He doesn't answer because the poor bastard just doesn't have an answer to give. Not because his feelings are hurt or there are big meanies on the forum.

This. I'm a fan of Eric Musco myself. I know he cares. I also know he's hamstrung a lot.

This. I'm a fan of Eric Musco myself. I know he cares. I also know he's hamstrung a lot.

I agree with both of you, I really appreciate Eric too! He's by FAR the best CM I've encountered in an community. He answers when he can, he's just the messenger, and as Technohic pointed out, I highly doubt he gives a flip HOW a question was asked, if he can answer it, he will.

Edited by TUXs

You're missing the point I've been making for weeks though.

There was a FAR EASIER way to make PvP more accessible. And they IGNORED it for this convoluted, bug-ridden brand new implementation.

Recruit gear was rough in 1.7. I get that. It doesn't mean you throw out the baby with the bath water. All they had to do was upgrade the existing Recruit gear to be what they envisioned bolster would do, assuming one had, let's say a full set of 166 gear. Add 1400-1500 expertise to the set.

DONE.

it's so simple, only BEAware could screw it up.

While the Concqueror Armor has a 154 armor rating... sure! :rolleyes:

Make it 146 and its ok!

Edited by Forsaked

While the Concqueror Armor has a 154 armor rating... sure! :rolleyes:

Make it 146 and its ok!

PvP armor ratings don't completely correlate with PvE gearings at the same rating. Just compare them next time you log in. It's not as bad as you think, and then 5-7% stat gain they WOULD get from , let's say nice pve gear would be more then compensated for by the 30% expertise penalty. With the way bonuses are set up, that's nothing to sneeze at.

For arguments sake, you could also just make a duplicate of partisan gear - and subtract whatever expertise they deem fair.

One way or the other, this was so easy to 'fix' - but some 'genius' somewhere decided that bolstering end game PvP was all kinds of win. He should be demoted off the team, put in a corner because he should feel shame.

Edited by islander

Would be awesome if they figured out some way to make a working hybrid of PvE and PvP, where players had the desire to work together, like in PvE, but with PvP worked into the mix (not referring to open world). Somewhat similar to (I know I will catch flak for the reference)

in World of Warcraft. For those that don't already understand the reference. Alterac Valley is a PvP instance, like a Warzone, where the players would fight/interact throughout, but there were PvE bosses that each team had to take down, on their way to the final boss. The game could be won by being the first to kill the enemies' boss, or by draining tickets. Killing the boss is always faster, if the enemy team makes it feasible for you. These bosses REQUIRED someone to Tank them, Heal, and DPS, just as any other PvE boss would. And on top of that, if you didn't take, hold, and destroy enemy towers along the way, there would be the corresponding amount of insanely powerful mobs fighting with the last boss, often making it impossible to kill him, without going back and taking the towers (which removes the mobs). All this happening while personnel from the enemy team are disrupting and sometimes outright thwarting progression attempts by your team.

^ROFL are you kidding me. AV was amazing at the beginning, but once they instituted a resource limit into it, it became only a PvE fest. For you, maybe thats what you like, A PvE tank, PvE healers all rushing to get to the boss first. while the opposing faction rides by you without you attempting to engage them or they engage you. Zergfest 101. If you even PvP'd at all the rest of the group would yell at you for not being at the boss to PvE dps him down. Sounds like a crappy wz? Thats cuz it is. What kind of wz has no to little PvP in it. Horrible. The only reason it was ever good (prior to resource limit) was because all objectives were completed and people would cycle in and out of the battleground as it could last days without completion. Thats when there was PvP in it, thats when it was good, but then there was no reward for participating in it because the battleground never ended. Again, it took days for an AV to end. Go back to WoW if you want PvE in PvP. It fails.

Bolster is the right thing, they just need to correct its implementation.

Look at the state of Smash that shows the pvp devs don't care about PvP. SWTOR PvP is considered a joke by other MMO'ers that like PvP. It's that Star Wars game with a cool story and terrible unbalanced PvP.

There are some really good aspects of pvp in this game. The complexity of combat gives it a much richer, skill based style of gameplay.

But the complexity of the combat system also makes it less approachable to new players. This leads the devs to try and assist new players using things like Bolster. Which they then fail to implement properly. The complexity of the combat system also makes it difficult for a single dev assigned to class balance to truly understand which classes are OP. So they rely on automated numerical analysis (meta averages) to determine which classes get buffed and nerfed. Which again is a failed mechanic. And the limitations of the game engine are also a factor. X-server pvp? Not with this game engine. Doh.

There are some really good aspects of pvp in this game. The complexity of combat gives it a much richer, skill based style of gameplay.

But the complexity of the combat system also makes it less approachable to new players. This leads the devs to try and assist new players using things like Bolster. Which they then fail to implement properly. The complexity of the combat system also makes it difficult for a single dev assigned to class balance to truly understand which classes are OP. So they rely on automated numerical analysis (meta averages) to determine which classes get buffed and nerfed. Which again is a failed mechanic. And the limitations of the game engine are also a factor. X-server pvp? Not with this game engine. Doh.

What is complex about swtor pvp? Through this game's life pvp complexity has been repeatedly reduced, and it wasn't all that complex to begin with.

Edited by Kurvv

Complexity??????????? You mean it's stun-heal-interrupt or heal-stun, interrupt, or interrupt, stun, heal...... etc etc. and in 2.0 what a mind blowingly original idea, more bubble. Fantastic.

Complexity??????????? You mean it's stun-heal-interrupt or heal-stun, interrupt, or interrupt, stun, heal...... etc etc. and in 2.0 what a mind blowingly original idea, more bubble. Fantastic.

Oh please, currently if you are in a 1v1, you are only going to spend 10% of your time stunned. Complaining about "stunnage" really translates into "I got 3v1-ed while stunned and I died!". Well yeah, you did. And if you weren't stunned they would still have killed you.

As far as complexity, this game's combat system is definitely on the complex side vs. other MMOs. Easily.

It's pretty evident with the bolster system .. Who cares about PvP pre-55, bolster all you want .. but in endgame PvP? What is wrong with you people? Just give Partisan gear or soemthing slightly less for free when you hit 55? What a waste of time and resources bolster has been ..

I would definitely start updating the old resume .. and potentially start a new career path .. i highly doubt another MMO company will hire you when they see, Worked on SWTOR PvP team in your resume ..

devs? I thought there was just 1 working on pvp

I think its rather funny that when they say they were going to "nerf smash" and sorc stun bubble, it took them almost half a year and they only got it half right. Remember at launch when DPS sorcs were OP along with merc healers being OP, it took them a WHOLE YEAR to finally try to balance after they nerfed sorc DPS and merc healers to the ground, and merc healers are still awful. Edited by Siphorus

That's like saying Adolf Hitler was a really great guy - he just had some genocidal behaviors.

Really, really bad comparison. I could say a lot of things but I'll just leave it at wow- what a poor choice you made... video games compared to Hitler? Oh, Rodney McNeely...

Edited by Genttry

"The intent of Bolster as a means of encouraging more people to participate in WZs"

Cross server and i don't know maybe ending preseason rateds? I bet this would have much more effect...