Armor Dye Restrictions, Please let it work for SOME Lore sets.

Magnusheart

Some of the lore sets are fantastic designs, infact they are some of the best. It would be a shame if we could'nt customise them... Especially the Jolee Bindo set, it is one of the only Jedi looking pants/hoodless tunic sets. If this goes through to live, I hope we get some more simple Jedi robes soon.

Glad the dyes are coming though, kudos BW.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything below lvl 15 basically means you can't dye almost any Cartel armor

If this is true, then so much for enjoying this new feature.... and buying Armor I want from the CM, but do not like the color of.

Edited by Themanthatisi

Dulfy has captured an answer via interview here:

2. Alot of cartel market outfits and reputation outfits are below level 15, will these be dyeable? Can you give a list of lore outfits that are not dyeable?

All Cartel Market outfits (with the exception of Lore gear) will be dyeable, regardless of item level.

Lore outfits that do not have Dye Module slots include the KOTOR outfits inspired by:

· Bastila Shan

· The Last Handmaiden

· Carth Onasi

· Darth Malak

· Jolee Bindo

· Triumvirate Armor

Additionally, the Revan armor set and the Mask of Nihilus are also considered Lore gear, and do not have Dye Module slots.

Source: http://dulfy.net/2013/05/01/swtor-patch-2-1-dyes-modules-qa-with-bioware/

A couple of comments to add here:

1) there is a difference in mechanics between color match and dyes. How so? Look above.... Handmaiden set is considered Lore and not dyable... yet I have successfully used color matching with different Handmaiden pieces to good effect with many different chest pieces in game.

2) like it or not, they have decided what is classified as Lore equipment and that it is non-dyable. Of course this could change at some point in the future.

Edited by Andryah

I'm very disappointed that the 'lore' gear can't be dyed. It makes no sense to me. I was looking forward to making the Last Handmaiden robes black. I don't wear those robes to be the lore character, I wear them because they're a nice looking piece of armor.

Dulfy has captured an answer via interview here:

Source: http://dulfy.net/2013/05/01/swtor-patch-2-1-dyes-modules-qa-with-bioware/

A couple of comments to add here:

1) there is a difference in mechanics between color match and dyes. How so? Look above.... Handmaiden set is considered Lore and not dyable... yet I have successfully used color matching with different Handmaiden pieces to good effect with many different chest pieces in game.

2) like it or not, they have decided what is classified as Lore equipment and that it is non-dyable. Of course this could change at some point in the future.

And that some point in the future Needs to happen.

Updated the original post.

Edited by Magnusheart

Yeah, and they will make sure you have to by an entire create just to have one good chest piece, but at least ill have plenty of useless jawagrams doing that. ;)

I bet those will go to CE Vendor. It's Bioware's plan to make the community hate on CE users who asked for exclusive items ;)

Hopefully too many people didn't jump out their window overreacting about the dye kits being used on Cartel Market gear. It was pretty obvious that Dulfy's original statement about not being able to dye gear under level 15 did not apply to Cartel Market gear (other than Lore sets). Now, that is confirmed.

NOT to mention: If not being able to dye Lore named items, then why can we Unify?

We can't dye the lore items, but we can unify them already to diff colors(excluding Nhilius's Mask)

Okay, so you don't need to be able to dye the other pieces, because you can just unify to chest piece, as you mentioned. So, there's no need to die anything on the Lore sets other than the chestpiece. Currently, you can't change the color of the chestpiece....so there's no change there. I'm sure eventually they'll change this after enough people whine about it. It didn't take them long to ditch lore in terms of color crystals and having Sith Jedi....the lore will go out the window soon enough. Until, it's not such a major issue that it should ruin anyone's life.

Until, it's not such a major issue that it should ruin anyone's life.

It's not, you're right, but it is totally ridiculous.

What purpose does not letting us dye lore items have other than simply being a restriction?

Their customers are already up in arms about the next patch essentially being content that we have to pay more to use, and they're looking to restrict more stuff.

They're showing us they are as developers; "we take feedback seriously".......yeah, right, like they couldn't have guessed we'd want to dye lore items....

Whatever happened to their old slogan from a patch last year, "Look Unique!"

The only lore item that should remain uncolorable is the Mask of Nihilus. Because I mean, c'mon, that's totally only his mask. Even Revan's can be colored to look different, but the famous skull mask would look ridiculous in blue or purple.

I'm very disappointed that the 'lore' gear can't be dyed. It makes no sense to me. I was looking forward to making the Last Handmaiden robes black. I don't wear those robes to be the lore character, I wear them because they're a nice looking piece of armor.

And your post makes no sense.

Tell me again why LORE sets, which are supposed to be replicas of the Kotor series...should be changed into non-lore colors?

Lore = copy + paste from the old games. There is not supposed to even be a thought they are changeable haha.

People who are QQ'n over this just lack common sense and basic thought. I'm sorry that some people find this difficult the understand.

• 2 weeks later...

So it won't work on:

Revan, Malak, Handmaiden, Carth, Bindo, Bastila.

But it will work on stuff like "Karagga's Unyielding Helm" right? I've wanted to colour unify that since Dec 2011 but it doesn't unify to chest :(

Please tell me it will be dyeable in 2.1 so I can make it match my outfit:)

So it won't work on:

Revan, Malak, Handmaiden, Carth, Bindo, Bastila.

But it will work on stuff like "Karagga's Unyielding Helm" right? I've wanted to colour unify that since Dec 2011 but it doesn't unify to chest :(

Please tell me it will be dyeable in 2.1 so I can make it match my outfit:)

If it does't change on unify, I do not think it will change at all, sorry friend, but I don't think that would be in the cards, now at least.

If it does't change on unify, I do not think it will change at all, sorry friend, but I don't think that would be in the cards, now at least.

Thinking the same : no unify = no colour channel to play with.

And pretty much the Karraga easter bell hat is a lore thingie I guess.

Sorry :jawa_frown: !

"Lore-gear" that can be color-unified but not dyed sounds silly to me. They are outright listed as "replicas" which can be worn by hundreds at once in front of you. Not only is it explained they are replicas to give it a "lore" reason for existing to players, it is also able to be color-matched to your chest piece. This restriction seems superfluous to me and has no reasonable justification for being in place.

The only reason I am seeing is (based on the data mined game files) that they put it in place to help bank off recolored versions of armors being sold in more Cartel Packs, simply to provide them more profit. I may be wrong but I don't think that implication is very endearing to players. Personally, I don't mind either way but I think allowing these "lore outfits" to be dyed would be better for the community.

"Lore-gear" that can be color-unified but not dyed sounds silly to me. They are outright listed as "replicas" which can be worn by hundreds at once in front of you. Not only is it explained they are replicas to give it a "lore" reason for existing to players, it is also able to be color-matched to your chest piece. This restriction seems superfluous to me and has no reasonable justification for being in place.

The only reason I am seeing is (based on the data mined game files) that they put it in place to help bank off recolored versions of armors being sold in more Cartel Packs, simply to provide them more profit. I may be wrong but I don't think that implication is very endearing to players. Personally, I don't mind either way but I think allowing these "lore outfits" to be dyed would be better for the community.

I know, we can already turn Revans Mask into a Orange and Cream Popsicle with the Pub Containment chest, or with the Imp one, a banana with Unify, why would that stop them from letting dye kits go in? Who wouldn't want a dark brown Jolee bindo robes, or an all black Malak set.

Edited by Magnusheart

This might be indicative of how the models and textures are set up. I know that some...not all...but some of the lore sets do not color match. I found this odd, but this might be a clue.

The restrictions on dyes on things like sub 15 gear and lore sets might simply be that no alternative textures exist. It could also be that the desire is to release further sets in different colors naturally.

Just speculation.

I for one would like to see a recolor of the Restored Triumvirate Armor and Thana's gear. Bias? Of course...I have a mix of both on one of my characters, would like a gunmetal (or just a bit darker) for the Trium boots and gloves I'm using with the Thana chest and pants. Would also love to change that blueish grey color to a darker grey....and maybe play with the idea of using red or dark red instead.

Id also love to see pure white versions of the Eradicator and Clandestine officer sets, and a black version of the Privateer set.

By the way, would love to see adaptive versions of the Mercenary's Foundry Helmet, TT-15A Powertech Helmet or Mercenary Elite Prototype Helmet (all the same model I believe), the Ultrachrome War Helmet model, the Rampage Assault Headgear (Pub side I believe, the glasses), TD-17A Talon Headgear, Tionese Weaponmaster’s Headgear and the Dread Guard Combat Medic's Helmet added to the market as purchasable items.

Edited by LordArtemis