Revenge of the Archon: too hard?

Mandalin

Somewhat recently, I did this fight again on my Pyro merc, who had yet to finish Makeb but is already in (sm) raid gear. I was using blizz during the fight. Well, turns out that if you bring enough dps you can completely ignore the droid adds and win rather easily without healing required... [*]

Also, my companion stood in the massive laser and didnt take any damage from it (he was knocked to the side)...

Makes me wonder if I've been doing it wrong the previous times, now...

Edited by Loc_n_lol

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tried 4 or 5 times. healer companion wouldnt heal or would go up there to punch archon and die quickly or tank companion would die quickly. couldnt target the adds until after they had stopped running. jaessa just kept going right back to the boss to get her ***** kicked in 2 hits. i tried 4 or 5 times and quit.

Try this:

Well, turns out that if you bring enough dps you can completely ignore the droid adds and win rather easily without healing required...

I completed the fight on 4 characters so far: deception assassin, immortal juggernaut, arsenal mercenary and concealment operative. In all cases being at or near 55, having at least some good gear (both for the character and the companion) and just straight DPSing the boss, along with dodging the laser attack and dodging or interrupting his other attacks proved enough.

Quite unexpectedly (after reading some replies here about the boss being the hardest on a juggernaut), I found it was actually the easiest to do on my undergeared juggernaut. With his abilities, he just refuses to die.

Edited by Strajder

After going through Makeb with a few characters I just avoid it altogether now so I don't run into this issue anymore. Mind you, I always managed to kill the Archon without outside help but after playing through Makeb on a couple of rep alts I can clearly see that the imp version of the final quest is much harder than the rep one. The rep one really is a piece of piss.

I don't care so much if it was hard, but I don't get why there is such a huge difficulty gap between the imp and rep version. That just makes no sense.

There's advantages and disadvantages for each class to complete this mission ... I found it more difficult on my sorc and sage as they have to stand still to cast ... but being lvl 53, wearing the purple mods from the Makeb vendors and knowing how to play your class all help to succeed. There's plenty of videos showing fight mechanics ... watch and learn.

I've completed it on each class Pub and Imp side

Edited by AvalonBunny

• 4 months later...

Yea just tried this, even a few suggestions by people here.. gave up after four tries. I get tired of being stunned locked or just generally thrown around, the high number of so called 'refueling' mobs also makes me roll my eyes. No reson for this boss to be harder on the Emp side and not so much on the Republic side.

Shows bad mechanics to me.

Yea just tried this, even a few suggestions by people here.. gave up after four tries. I get tired of being stunned locked or just generally thrown around, the high number of so called 'refueling' mobs also makes me roll my eyes. No reson for this boss to be harder on the Emp side and not so much on the Republic side.

Shows bad mechanics to me.

this fight is very easy

if you cannot complete it, please read some guides on how to play your class and learn how this game works.

On a side note, it's kinda funny, however, seeing the people who never played through this mission before the bolster telling people who played it when RotHC first came out "learn to play".

Related -- in General on Makeb, a couple of weeks ago, I saw someone say "the mobs are too thick on Makeb". I think almost everyone else on the planet at that point responded "You should have been here before!"

I guess it's that time of the month to resurrect this thread again, huh?

Any excuse to bring up Szajin is a good excuse.

:D

Ah, the Wrath of the Emperor's rotting corpse. You made a valiant effort.

Alas, it is the Hutt Empire who will receive Makeb's bounty. My people will no longer be mocked as we are envied. We will not be criminals but kings.

Voice actor who voices Darth Marr was dethroned right there. :p

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Please tell me people aren't still complaining about this. Use the GSI Orbital Support terminal if you still suck at this game. It makes Makeb easy even if you have crap gear.

Note: for best results, try to keep your crap gear the same throughout. Don't add a level 50 enhancement to your level 41 armoring and mod or it screws up your buff. Better off to just leave your gear all level 41.

• 2 months later...
Why is it when a very FEW people cannot complete a quest it needs to be nerfed???

Do you people ever think that because you cannot complete something it means you are bad rather then the content being too hard???

The fight was super easy if you ave any amount of reasoning skills... Droids come out heal boss... so kill droids, a basic attack kills them. Its not hard and it does not need to be nerfed, you simply need to LEARN 2 PLAY.

i am learning to play, i'm not here to whine about how hard it is, if it was too ez it wouldnt be any fun, but some "HINTS" about how to do it better or ezier would be nice or would ya rather continue to be a self centered *****? GEESH! oooh i did it in one try and took me only this long neener neener neeeeeener oh my god we back in grade school, some ppl here just wanna know how to get thru it is all so GET OFF YOUR BIG FN HIGH HORSE MAN!

i am learning to play, i'm not here to whine about how hard it is, if it was too ez it wouldnt be any fun, but some "HINTS" about how to do it better or ezier would be nice or would ya rather continue to be a self centered *****? GEESH! oooh i did it in one try and took me only this long neener neener neeeeeener oh my god we back in grade school, some ppl here just wanna know how to get thru it is all so GET OFF YOUR BIG FN HIGH HORSE MAN!

Here's what I did (no video, sorry):

1) GSI Buff

2) My BH pulled out Mako, who was still well geared because I alternate between Torian and Mako with my Merc.

3) Set Mako to heal

4) When the droid goes for the long beam, Passive Mako, run to the side. Unpassive when beam finishes.

5) Spend most of the fight attacking support droid for their parts

6) Use to rods to over load the shields and such in the area just behind Archon Droid when it opens up.

7) Repeat as needed.

8) Always passive Mako when Archon droid is readying the super laser beam of OHKO.

9) When pulled into a gravity well, move to the nearest side. Usually the gravity well thing means OHKO Beam is charging, so passive Mako and MOVE!

I used my Merc, and I ran Makeb on one Rep character. Because of the hassle of this mission (And I was level 55 in gear ranging 152-158 at the time, no augments), I will only run Makeb once per legacy, per faction.

Once I stopped trying to use Torian in the fight, I lasted much longer. And Mako healed me when she wasn't in passive or dealing damage.

i am learning to play,

Those who are new at anything should accept it and work on getting to know it better.

Hints for anything can usually be found by googling.

By the time the player gets to Makeb, he should already be familiar with basics of this game, such as gearing up, setting up correct stances for both the character and companion, using interrupts, using damage mitigation as well as (self-)healing cooldowns, avoiding AoE and so on. True, things like KDY and XP boosts tend to de-emphasize some or all of those things and are IMHO counterproductive in their current state (maybe having them disabled on first characters or before a player levels one character to maximum level would be better).

This fight is a breeze now. It was easy even before the GSI bolster, with it, it is utterly trivialized. The abilities are pretty self-explanatory. When the boss looks like he will charge a huge laser, it is rather unintuitive to stand right in front of him, don't you think? Even if you don't find it so, taking one hit by it or wiping because of it once should be enough of an information to not do it again. Same goes for other parts of the fight. Like I said earlier in this thread, boss can be simply DPSed down, ignoring mechanics of the fight other than simple avoidance of AoE damage.

Edited by Strajder